Author Topic: The Beer Thread: Mach 2  (Read 99155 times)

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
The Beer Thread: Mach 2
« on: May 01, 2010, 04:07:22 PM »
It's been so long since the last one's been bumped, I say time to start fresh. I'm sitting here with about six gallons of liquid boiling on my stove, which will hopefully have turned into a nice saison about a month from now. I'm celebrating my first homebrew with a bottle of Ithaca's LeBleu. It's a limited one-off beer from them, I was lucky to snag one of about six hundred bottles that were released for distribution. It's a blueberry sour, and it's quite good. I'm not getting a ton of blueberries in the taste, the sour aspect seems to be dominating there, the blueberries show up more in the nose. It's a little highly carbonated, but not to the point where it ruins the beer.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
Re: The Beer Thread: Mach 2
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 04:38:13 PM »
Mmm, blueberry sour. I haven't had anything spectacular lately (drank some Dale's Pale Ale and Fat Tire at the movies last night  :D) but will report back tonight after I finally try Supplication while viewing the epic that is Face/Off. Also really want to try this Odell Saboteur stuff in my fridge (https://odellbrewing.com/beers/saboteur) but intimidated by its size (shh) and alcohol content  :lol... I need friends who appreciate beer out here.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 06:51:14 PM »
Had some Imperial blonde ale and Rouge's Mom's Hefeweizen and Koncord Kombat Ale
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 07:25:07 PM »
moved on to a nice Surly CynicAle (saison) with dinner now that the hectic brewday is over
Photobucket sucks.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 07:49:34 PM »
I've got two bottles of Ranger IPA(absolutely delicious beer) plus my third different Saranac 12-pack mixer and this one's called Adirondack Trail Mix for Face/Off tonight. It has:

• Black Forest
  • India Pale Ale
  • Black and Tan
  • Pale Ale
  • Adirondack Lager
  • Brown Ale

Before getting this mixer I'd recently gotten their 12 Beers of Summer and 12 Beers of Winter. Summer(Pale Pale Ale{yep, two "Pale"s}, Pomegranate Wheat, Amber Wheat, Helles, Rye Pilsener, Summer Ale) disappointed me for the most part as it seemed they used the same bad-tasting hop(s) in each one with only slight variation such as an additional hop variety here or a slightly less-worse barley used there. The winter mixer(Belgian Ale, Big Moose Ale, Maple Porter, Winter Lager, Rye IPA, Black Lager) left me quite wonderfully surprised at the turnaround in taste and quality. The Maple porter stood out with it's rich maple flavor reminiscent of waffles/pancakes. I'm now on the Adirondack mixer(Black Forest, India Pale Ale, Black and Tan, Pale Ale, Adironack Lager, Brown Ale) and am interested to see where it'll rank compared to the other two mixers.

Great value nonetheless since you get 6(count 'em, 6!) new bottles for your collection and your own palate's résumé whereas Sam Adams, Flying Dog, and Michelob as well as the vast majority of other brands only give 4 or 5. Another sweet thing about this is that there were ZERO DUPLICATES amongst all three mixers so I got 18 new bottles to put me around 300-325 different beers represented in my collection with each 12-pack mixer costing only $13.97!
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 09:13:35 PM »
Saranac makes the beer-lemonade...have you tried it?  It seems like two great tastes that wouldn't go well together.

I started a batch of homebrew on Wednesday, a kiwi-strawberry wheat.  It's my first attempt at a beer that is my own recipe.  I just hate waiting the 5 weeks to find out if its any good.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 10:51:25 PM »
Saranac makes the beer-lemonade...have you tried it?  It seems like two great tastes that wouldn't go well together.

I started a batch of homebrew on Wednesday, a kiwi-strawberry wheat.  It's my first attempt at a beer that is my own recipe.  I just hate waiting the 5 weeks to find out if its any good.

We here at DTF patiently await the results of your diligent efforts.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 11:27:04 PM »

So no word on Saranac's beer-lemonade, or is that in a different variety pack?

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 11:33:55 PM »
When I saw the "six gallons of liquid boiling on my stove" I wasn't sure if that was a tip off to the lack of fresh water we'll be having for the next few days or not.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 11:37:41 PM »
Normally, I'm a Bud man, but I tried Pliny the Elder a couple of weeks ago, and damn that shit was tasty.  At 8% alcohol, I could see myself getting thoroughly polluted on it.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 11:40:27 PM »
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 06:09:53 AM »

So no word on Saranac's beer-lemonade, or is that in a different variety pack?

Correct. Different variety pack. I've only had one beer lemonade but the name eludes me at this time. While it was pleasant tasting I wouldn't waste my time on it again since the label says something like "half beer, half lemonade" which I think is fairly accurate since it tasted virtually nonalcoholic.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 11:37:35 AM »
Bud

:lol

I tried Russian River's Supplication last night and it was very good but not necessarily worth the price...

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2010, 02:58:50 PM »

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2010, 05:31:09 PM »
Due to the massive popularity of my first batch of beer, I have decided that a celebrity spokesperson would be wise, but I had to let them put their name on it.  At least this way I make money.  Here's a commercial for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtdFRHQwF2I

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2010, 07:45:00 PM »
 :lol

Mmm mmmmm, bitch!

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2010, 05:59:36 AM »
found a couple cool videos in google's speaker series. Each one is an hour long, but very cool

Sam Calagione, founder Dogfish Head (he mostly focuses on the state of the brewing industry)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPOewnwgO0Q

Rob Tod, founder Allagash Brewery (discusses a few of his own beers as well as brewing Belgian style beers in general)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aJVpcyJ2is&feature=channel
Photobucket sucks.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2010, 08:05:47 AM »
I will watch this when my wife works late this week!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2010, 10:51:41 PM »
tonight's victims were a Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA (very good, total hop bomb) and New England Brewing Company Gandhi-Bot  Imperial IPA (awesome name, and I may have to post a picture of the can, but they went a bit overboard on hop bitterness as opposed to hop flavor).
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2010, 11:01:02 PM »
I'm hardly a beer connoisseur, but I prefer Keith's to the other beers I've tried.

Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2010, 11:19:15 PM »
A beer fan favourite:

:hefdaddy

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2010, 11:23:51 PM »
This probably isn't an original sentiment, but seriously, how can you drink Guinness? It's like drinking bread...
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2010, 04:49:41 AM »
This probably isn't an original sentiment, but seriously, how can you drink Guinness? It's like drinking bread...

Because it's excellent and you fail hard :-*

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2010, 05:12:25 AM »

Because it's excellent and you fail hard :-*

Was thinking the same thing :yarr

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2010, 08:11:10 AM »

It's smooth and has a nice bitter chocolate taste to it.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2010, 08:59:00 AM »

Guinness is actually a pretty watery stout, at least the one people usually drink. They have other heavier kinds though.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2010, 04:10:45 PM »

This, although I'd almost say it leans a lil more towards espresso. Also, for anyone who does like Guinness, do yourself a favor and try a draft of Rogue's Chocolate stout. You'll have zipper marks on your pecker.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2010, 04:21:32 PM »

This, although I'd almost say it leans a lil more towards espresso. Also, for anyone who does like Guinness, do yourself a favor and try a draft of Rogue's Chocolate stout. You'll have zipper marks on your pecker.

I'll tell you what expresso stout kicked ass this year, it was Longtrail's private stock.  Had to drive to VT to sample and bought a six pack for home.

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2010, 04:23:58 PM »
Molson Export is the best them.

Seriously.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2010, 04:29:09 PM »

Seriously.

When in Montreal, only.  Even then I'd go with Unibroue.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2010, 04:43:27 PM »

Seriously.

Good thing truthing ain't illegal in these parts or else you'd have to shower with a vise-tight grip on the soap.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2010, 04:44:47 PM »

Seriously.

Good thing truthing ain't illegal in these parts or else you'd have to shower with a vise-tight grip on the soap.

And pretend it's a woman. ;)

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2010, 07:18:12 AM »
I think people tend to have an issue with Guinness because usually it's someone's first really dark beer, and I think the appearance builds up some preconceived idea of what it's going to be like. I know I wasn't crazy about Guinness when I first had it, but I kept on drinking it because I :heart irish car bombs, and eventually I grew to love it, as well as other dark beers (Russian Imperial Stout ftw). More Racer 5 last night and then I opened a bottle of Dark Horse's Double Crooked Tree. It's an imperial IPA clocking in at ~13% ABV... it was pretty good, but malty enough that it seemed more like a barleywine than a complete hop bomb, which is what I usually expect from DIPAs
Photobucket sucks.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2010, 07:52:08 AM »
13% ABV's!  A little kick!

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2010, 08:32:47 AM »
I love dark beers but didn't dig Guinness when I tried it.

Anyway, need to go beer shopping this week.

(Bill, for real, if there's anything you ever want me to send your way, just let me know)