Author Topic: 2020 NFL Thread v. Tom Brady aging better than Mila Kunis  (Read 115930 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: 2020 NFL Thread v. Chiefs give future GOAT big bucks
« Reply #805 on: October 05, 2020, 07:28:52 PM »
Missed opportunities is the theme of this game.

Man if this ain't the opposite for Pats fans. Usually we talk about teams coming into Foxboro and puking on themselves.

When you play #1 you can't have mistakes.

And then INT, Game over. Drop but #11.

At least they showed Mahomes on the sidelines cheering.  That gave me closure.  ;)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #806 on: October 05, 2020, 07:31:21 PM »
Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #807 on: October 05, 2020, 08:10:25 PM »
I have to laugh at Pats fans complaining about A) officiating being unfavorable towards your team and B) the camera crew and announcers constantly highlighting the opposing QB in situations not relevant to him. This isn't to take away from the immeasurable greatness that your team has achieved in this century, as the 21st century Patriots are the greatest dynasty in NFL history and it's not even close, but A) your first Super Bowl win wouldn't have even happened if it wasn't for a classic "let's screw the Raiders" moment of officiating with the Tuck Rule and B) I'm pretty sure I've seen Tom Brady's sideline reactions more in one game at times than I've seen other player's sideline reactions throughout their entire careers. The NFL will always have it's darlings, and the Patriots time is done. Gone is the Brady/Manning rivalry where the Patriots and Colts were the only two teams in the AFC that the media cared about. Manning is retired and Brady broke the hearts of an entire region of the country. We're in the Mahomes/Jackson era now, and the Pats are just gonna have to wait a while before their time in the spotlight comes again. I mean it could be worse: I'm writing this as a fan of a team who's best performance this year resulted in a loss to an undrafted QB who threw three interceptions in the game.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #808 on: October 05, 2020, 08:12:19 PM »
Stop it. All fans bitch. Guess what, it's what fans do.  I've seen you do it. Hell, I just did it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #809 on: October 05, 2020, 08:16:29 PM »
Also.  After the game BB looking like Darth Vadar at the end of Return Of The Jedi.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #810 on: October 05, 2020, 08:41:35 PM »
So Rodgers is missing both of his best receivers while Ryan has both of his, but Rodgers is destroying him anyway. Big difference between being an all-time great and “solid starter”.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #811 on: October 05, 2020, 09:17:26 PM »
I have to laugh at Pats fans complaining about A) officiating being unfavorable towards your team and B) the camera crew and announcers constantly highlighting the opposing QB in situations not relevant to him. This isn't to take away from the immeasurable greatness that your team has achieved in this century, as the 21st century Patriots are the greatest dynasty in NFL history and it's not even close, but A) your first Super Bowl win wouldn't have even happened if it wasn't for a classic "let's screw the Raiders" moment of officiating with the Tuck Rule and B) I'm pretty sure I've seen Tom Brady's sideline reactions more in one game at times than I've seen other player's sideline reactions throughout their entire careers. The NFL will always have it's darlings, and the Patriots time is done. Gone is the Brady/Manning rivalry where the Patriots and Colts were the only two teams in the AFC that the media cared about. Manning is retired and Brady broke the hearts of an entire region of the country. We're in the Mahomes/Jackson era now, and the Pats are just gonna have to wait a while before their time in the spotlight comes again. I mean it could be worse: I'm writing this as a fan of a team who's best performance this year resulted in a loss to an undrafted QB who threw three interceptions in the game.
I don't think refs favor teams. I'm bitching because an inept call cost NE a TD. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #812 on: October 06, 2020, 07:05:45 AM »

You're working under a false assumption, though.  Two of them, actually:  one, that I liked it when they did it with Brady.  I didn't.   Show me the GAME not the infotainment nonsense or ANY darling.  Stop pimping the personalities.   Two, that I care about the calls; calls are going to go for you or against you, that's the nature of the game.   There are just as many screw jobs against the Pats as for them; it all evens out in the end.  That's not to say I can't be frustrated with the notion that in THIS game, in THIS moment, when the Pats needed a perfect storm to win, that the storm didn't happen.  I shouldn't have to accept losses without emotion just because I experienced wins in the past, or analyze how those losses could be wins next time.  That's what losers do. 

And for the record, I've hated Nance (and yes, I know it's NanTZ; I'll spell his name right when he calls a game right, how's that?) long before Mahomes.  LONG before that (in fact, it dates back to Uconn's first national championship, when they beat Duke in a quasi-upset.   Nance and Billy Packer called the game and they were damn near in TEARS because their precious Duke and Mike CheviHemiV8ski got beat by this upstart team.  Boo friggin' hoo, Jim.  So sorry (not)).   
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 09:45:43 AM by Stadler »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #813 on: October 06, 2020, 08:40:40 AM »
Billy Packer was intolerable.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #814 on: October 06, 2020, 08:06:53 PM »
Speaking of GOATS (in the other thread), I'm watching 30 For 30 - The Two Bills, about Belichick and Parcells.   The love and respect that these guys have for each other is just... at one point Bill B. was almost choked up talking about how much Parcells went out of his way to help him.  Even LT was almost gushing in his praise, and he is candid about how Bill and Bill leaving the Giants within three months of each other effectively ended HIS career.  That says something coming from the greatest defensive player in the history of the game (I said it, and I believe it). 

I'm sorry to make this all existential, but in these ridiculous, hate-filled, acrimonious times, watching this is so... refreshing and positive.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #815 on: October 06, 2020, 08:09:47 PM »
Just heard John Clayton say there could be up to 8 had coaches on the hot seat. I know the 'hot seat' is always a"hot" topic for radio chatter, but damn, it is October 06. NFL coaches are definitely wired a way the rest of us are not.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #816 on: October 06, 2020, 08:12:21 PM »
Just heard John Clayton say there could be up to 8 had coaches on the hot seat. I know the 'hot seat' is always a"hot" topic for radio chatter, but damn, it is October 06. NFL coaches are definitely wired a way the rest of us are not.

Dan Quinn and Adam Gase certainly have warm asses. 

Offline T-ski

« Reply #817 on: October 07, 2020, 08:31:24 AM »
Pats Stephon Gilmore has tested positive, here he is with Mahomes after the game two night ago.

Why are teams still mingling after games? The stupidity of the NFL knows no equal.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #818 on: October 07, 2020, 08:45:27 AM »
Gilmore, along with one each from the Falcons and Raiders. Plus the Titans continue to add cases. This will likely be their second week postponed.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #819 on: October 07, 2020, 08:53:31 AM »
It's so crazy I don't even know what to say. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #820 on: October 07, 2020, 09:35:19 AM »

None of this is a surprise though, without a bubble you knew some players were eventually going to get it so it's just a matter of containing it which they can more easily do with the constant testing.  I do think the NFL should have changed the schedules a bit to add more bye weeks so teams had more room to wiggle with rescheduling games though.  What the Patriots had to do on Monday for example was kind of a difficult circumstance for them and leads to a bit of unfairness IMO but it is what it is for this season.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #821 on: October 07, 2020, 09:39:10 AM »

None of this is a surprise though, without a bubble you knew some players were eventually going to get it so it's just a matter of containing it which they can more easily do with the constant testing.  I do think the NFL should have changed the schedules a bit to add more bye weeks so teams had more room to wiggle with rescheduling games though.  What the Patriots had to do on Monday for example was kind of a difficult circumstance for them and leads to a bit of unfairness IMO but it is what it is for this season.
Yeah, there is a problem with fairness in the way they're winging it. Pitt had their bye moved all the way up to week 4, and I suspect they'd have much rather just been pushed back one day like NE was. NE only got 1 extra day to prepare, and I think they'd have rather had their bye moved to play KC later in the year, like Pitt did.

I'm just astonished that the NFL didn't plan for this happening.

edit: Rothlessburger just confirmed my suspicion. https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30062089/ben-roethlisberger-frustrated-covid-impact-pittsburgh-steelers-schedule
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 09:45:07 AM by El Barto »
E.F. Benson

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #822 on: October 07, 2020, 02:24:46 PM »
Posted this in the Corona thread, but it should be here as it is very relevant.

Florida gives the NFL teams the all clear to fully stock their stadiums with fans. Dolphins say thanks, but no thanks. At least there is some common sense in Florida.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/dolphins-reportedly-get-clearance-to-host-full-capacity-of-fans-at-stadium-but-will-stick-with-13000-fans-174413711.html
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #823 on: October 08, 2020, 07:16:11 PM »
Did the Bucs just go for it on 4th down on their own.....20?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #824 on: October 08, 2020, 08:59:33 PM »
Christ. Now we've got games on Monday afternoon and Tuesday night, and presumably no Thursday night game. This whole thing is getting rather silly.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #825 on: October 08, 2020, 09:01:51 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #826 on: October 08, 2020, 09:02:55 PM »
Yeah, it's mismanaged.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #827 on: October 08, 2020, 09:04:40 PM »
Commisioner Barto, what say you?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #828 on: October 08, 2020, 09:21:14 PM »
Damn, that boy done broke his ankle.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #829 on: October 09, 2020, 05:59:59 AM »
Wow Brady snubbed Foles AGAIN. What an asshole. And LOL forgetting what down it was. Senior moment I guess. Threw a great hissy fit to top it off  :rollin.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #830 on: October 09, 2020, 07:16:21 AM »
I picked Tampa because you do, but I said to my wife, after the first Bears TD that I had debated all afternoon switching to the Bears (home team, Foles is a very good QB) and decided not to based on superstition.   So much for superstition.

And I don't know if you can see the post-game from Arians here, but for any of you kids out there, when Arians says "he knew, he knew" twice and drops his head, that's what the pros call "a tell".   He's covering for his guy (as good coaches do). 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #831 on: October 09, 2020, 08:06:35 AM »
Yeah, he didn't knew.  :lol

I certainly researched the game, and Chi would have been a fine pick. This was by no means a sure thing for Tampa. I was actually concerned it might turn out to be a money game. In the end I just came to the opposite conclusion of you, Foles is not a good quarterback. Brady was the lone difference maker in this game. My concern was with Tampa being so undisciplined, and in the end that's what killed them.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #832 on: October 09, 2020, 08:37:08 AM »
And that undisciplined play is an extension of the head coach.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #833 on: October 11, 2020, 12:25:39 PM »
Alex Smith is playing football today.  :tup
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #834 on: October 11, 2020, 12:27:58 PM »
This whole thing is getting rather silly.

Time for teams to start forfeiting games.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #835 on: October 11, 2020, 12:34:50 PM »
Mahomes has thrown two 65 yard strikes to Hill. One was called back for holding and the other was broken up by an uncalled pass interference.  :facepalm:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #836 on: October 11, 2020, 12:39:20 PM »
Alex Smith is playing football today.  :tup

Great to see.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #837 on: October 11, 2020, 02:10:52 PM »
The Jets aren’t just bad. They’re unwatchable. They are the worst team in the league and it’s not even close.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #838 on: October 11, 2020, 03:00:23 PM »
I'm not really watching football today (yet; I'll watch later tonight) but:

- Fired up for Vegas; two good wins this year, and don't have to listen to the '72 Dolphins comparisons anymore (though not for nothing; I logged into yahoo to check my pick'ems, and there were TWO stories on "the great throws" that Mahomes made.)
- FIRED UP for Alex Smith.  What a story.  I don't usually use "courage" to define every-day things, but there aren't a whole lot of other words to use for him.

Offline emtee

« Reply #839 on: October 11, 2020, 04:02:31 PM »
Is there ever a week when the Cowboys game isn't nationally televised? Geez. Over the years the Cowboys have been featured way more than other teams.