Author Topic: 2020 NFL Thread v. Tom Brady aging better than Mila Kunis  (Read 113862 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: 2020 NFL Thread v. Chiefs give future GOAT big bucks
« Reply #980 on: October 26, 2020, 03:43:54 PM »
Still, seeing Brady play well makes me mad, not at him but at the organization.
I can't really see it like that. That organization gave him the opportunity to thrive for most of his career. And in the end he decided he'd rather have fun that stick with them. I can't really fault the guy, but he certainly did his fair part to break tear the thing down for somewhat selfish reasons. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #981 on: October 26, 2020, 04:05:18 PM »
If TB had retired (which he probably should've anyway), the Pats would still be in the same situation with the exception of a few variables maybe.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #982 on: October 26, 2020, 04:08:45 PM »
Still, seeing Brady play well makes me mad, not at him but at the organization.
I can't really see it like that. That organization gave him the opportunity to thrive for most of his career. And in the end he decided he'd rather have fun that stick with them. I can't really fault the guy, but he certainly did his fair part to break tear the thing down for somewhat selfish reasons.

I'm mad at the Patriots organization El Barto.  How they handled the greatest player in history.   I know I shouldn't be naive but up to the 2018 season he was at such a high level.  Bill didn't change his philosophy to continue with him.  He should have just gone with Jimmy G then go with this unknown at QB.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #983 on: October 26, 2020, 04:09:54 PM »
I hear you.  Those types of situations never seem to make sense at the time.  It reminds me of a situation that took place years ago.  I'll change the names to protect the identities of those involved so that no one will know who I am talking about.  So let's say hypothetically that you have the makings of a dynasty and a quarterback that has led your team to...I dunno...let's say four Superbowls.  We'll call him...John Idaho.  And then the team just up and trades him into a different conference to a team you don't even care about.  I can tell you from experience that it's pretty gut wrenching.  That is, until you realize that the former backup--we'll call him Stefan Youth--is a pretty good starting QB in his own right and can carry the torch forward.  I'm just saying that these things can work themselves out.  Hypothetically speaking, of course.

How do I type out those Law and Order noises to start the show? Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #984 on: October 26, 2020, 04:57:04 PM »
I hear you.  Those types of situations never seem to make sense at the time.  It reminds me of a situation that took place years ago.  I'll change the names to protect the identities of those involved so that no one will know who I am talking about.  So let's say hypothetically that you have the makings of a dynasty and a quarterback that has led your team to...I dunno...let's say four Superbowls.  We'll call him...John Idaho.  And then the team just up and trades him into a different conference to a team you don't even care about.  I can tell you from experience that it's pretty gut wrenching.  That is, until you realize that the former backup--we'll call him Stefan Youth--is a pretty good starting QB in his own right and can carry the torch forward.  I'm just saying that these things can work themselves out.  Hypothetically speaking, of course.

What team was that? The Santa Frank 50's?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #985 on: October 27, 2020, 11:21:20 AM »
I think it's more complicated than just transition.   Young had to want to be the backup to Montana.  The organization had to want to deal Montana.  There were TWO coaches involved too.

Here, I think the Garappolo thing is a big part of this; if Belichick was committed to moving forward with Jimmy G., that's a problem.  Certainly this isn't Cam Newton's team, and I question that call by Belichick.  Is that teaching Stidham to be ready?  Newton is not a team QB like that; they'd been better off bringing in Andy Dalton or, gasp, Philip Rivers (that hurt me to type that), someone who perhaps has less to prove regarding their role in the bigger picture.

I'm okay with this; I don't buy into the stat hype ("this is the latest they've been below .500 since 1864; this is the longest losing streak since 1972"...).  Bottom line is, where is your last meaningful game?  November or January?   I have faith in Bill.  These things don't happen overnight, and especially if all the pieces aren't there. 

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #986 on: October 29, 2020, 01:15:03 PM »
I'm rooting for the Rams to go all the way and win Super Bowl. That way, the city of LA will have a sports trifecta. Might as well in this time of the covids.  :hat

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #987 on: November 01, 2020, 06:18:45 AM »
With that defense, and in spite of those drab unis, they have a shot.

Ravens-Steelers today at 1pm (taking the Steelers unless the Balto O wakes up and the D gets a couple of TOs).  One of three games my wife and I would have attended this year.  Why this rivalry game isn't always a 425pm or night game baffles me.  Instead, we get the Cowboys-Eagles tonight and Bucs-Giants tomorrow  :lol :tdwn   
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #988 on: November 01, 2020, 07:40:52 AM »
With that defense, and in spite of those drab unis, they have a shot.

Ravens-Steelers today at 1pm (taking the Steelers unless the Balto O wakes up and the D gets a couple of TOs).  One of three games my wife and I would have attended this year.  Why this rivalry game isn't always a 425pm or night game baffles me.  Instead, we get the Cowboys-Eagles tonight and Bucs-Giants tomorrow  :lol :tdwn

You know what's crazy?? The Cowboys can take sole possession of 1st place with a win tonight.  :tdwn

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #989 on: November 01, 2020, 10:15:29 AM »
Jets have the Chiefs on tap today. Do I even bother watching?
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #990 on: November 01, 2020, 10:37:35 AM »
Only if you are betting the spread one way or another. 

When I still lived in Michigan and (faithfully?) followed the Lions, I often golfed on Sundays until 2 or 3pm.  We'd watch the ending at the 19th hole, and then I'd check the video tape at home, FF, and skip through other than the Sanders runs during the off years.  A two yard run was often as exciting as any other team's TDs.  I've been very lucky to be in Baltimore this century. 

I do remember a 2-14 season in the late 70s.  My buddies and I would always get together, knowing the game would result in an 'L', while trying to look at the positives of some of the players.  I do feel your pain.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 11:25:59 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #991 on: November 01, 2020, 04:41:02 PM »
I was gonna say I can't believe that Cam put the biscuit on the linoleum at the end of the game today but specifically because it's him I can believe it. That's the kind of mistake that is never surprising coming from someone like him, Crab Leg Thief, or Mark Sanchez.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #992 on: November 01, 2020, 06:00:11 PM »
Got to admit that Cam's arm strength is surprisingly weak.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #993 on: November 01, 2020, 06:34:06 PM »
Not that I ever fully embraced it to begin with, but I'm officially done with the Can Newton Experience.

I know Bill is improving cap space, and letting young guys play into experience, but if we're going to go 7-9, I'd rather go 7-9 with a QB that will either grow into the role, or we can deal for something else.  Cam is useless. 

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #994 on: November 01, 2020, 07:39:56 PM »
Last 3 opponents the Steelers have beaten had a combined record of 15-2 going into the game. I like it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #995 on: November 01, 2020, 07:57:38 PM »
Not that I ever fully embraced it to begin with, but I'm officially done with the Can Newton Experience.

I know Bill is improving cap space, and letting young guys play into experience, but if we're going to go 7-9, I'd rather go 7-9 with a QB that will either grow into the role, or we can deal for something else.  Cam is useless.

I actually feel bad for him. He's said all of the right things, and by all accounts is a decent guy.

But he's spent, no doubt.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #996 on: November 01, 2020, 08:21:29 PM »

I actually feel bad for him. He's said all of the right things, and by all accounts is a decent guy.

Maybe so, but I think he's soft.   Not in the sense of taking a hit, but mentally.  I don't see that extra gear that the best players have. 

On an unrelated note, I'm as big a fan of a good defensive struggle as anyone, but this Dallas/Philly game is dry, drier, driest.  Watching DiNucci is amusing, but that is not sustainable. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #997 on: November 01, 2020, 08:23:44 PM »
Maybe so, but I think he's soft.   

I get that.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #998 on: November 02, 2020, 11:31:10 AM »

Maybe so, but I think he's soft.   Not in the sense of taking a hit, but mentally.  I don't see that extra gear that the best players have. 

On an unrelated note, I'm as big a fan of a good defensive struggle as anyone, but this Dallas/Philly game is dry, drier, driest.  Watching DiNucci is amusing, but that is not sustainable.

Not to mention Wentz continues to be horrible. Can’t wait to see what Pittsburgh does to these Dallas goofs next week.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #999 on: November 02, 2020, 02:18:24 PM »

Not to mention Wentz continues to be horrible. Can’t wait to see what Pittsburgh does to these Dallas goofs next week.

Pitt will win 100 to 1. Dallas will get a safety but D-Law will get such an egregious hit on Big Ben that he will not only get ejected but it will be so bad that the refs  take a point away.

Hey - with these Cowboys - it could happen.  :tdwn

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1000 on: November 02, 2020, 02:26:05 PM »
LOL Dallas at Philly on SNF.   :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol  The NFL has become a complete joke.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #1001 on: November 02, 2020, 02:38:17 PM »
LOL Dallas at Philly on SNF.   :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol  The NFL has become a complete joke.

You want to know what's crazy? The Nuche threw for more yards than Carson f--king Wentz! The Cowboys won time of possession and turnovers. How fucking crazy is that! >:(

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1002 on: November 02, 2020, 05:15:20 PM »
My goodness. I'm watching Suzi Kolber and her crew on the pregame.  Can we stop with the intials?   Literally at one point she said "So TB signed off on AB, but it was interesting what BA said...".   It's like reading  a Rush thread here at DTF.  I need a scorecard. 

By the way, great bit with Bill Belichick throwing Cam under the bus!!!   He said "we paid him a million dollars this year, what do you expect?  We sold out for the last five years, got three Super Bowls, played in another, and an AFC Championship Game.  What do you expect?  It not an excuse, it's just a fact."  (Quotes, but this is a paraphrase.). Randy Moss was especially hard on Cam.  He goes to Steve Young:  "you're running left, sideline is to your left, where's the football?"  Young says "on your left side".   Moss was clear, it's been three weeks of excuses from Cam, that's not going to last much longer with Bill or the organization in general. 

Ironically, the COVID may help them; they're cutting salary, but with the pandemic, the salary cap will be lower next year, and while other clubs are cutting/trading players, they are going to be in a good position to mop up.   They still need a QB though.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1003 on: November 02, 2020, 06:05:57 PM »
I haven't heard much chatter about it, which is probably good news, but I think the MNF crew has been pretty good. I've always liked Steve Levy. He sounds excited without feeling fake or cheesy. He's doing a great job here.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1004 on: November 02, 2020, 07:16:52 PM »
Five minutes left in the first half and the Big Bad Bucs have put up 3 points on the 1-6 Giants. Should be 14-3 put Daniel Jones missed a wide open receiver in the end zone and then got sacked out of field goal range. Horrendous series for Jones.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1005 on: November 02, 2020, 07:27:37 PM »
LOL Giants came to play.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1006 on: November 02, 2020, 07:29:34 PM »
Seems the Giants have been one the come the last few weeks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1007 on: November 02, 2020, 07:41:30 PM »
LOL Giants came to play.

Brady has looked a bit off, missed many throws so far.  Giants have been improving week to week and their defense has been solid.  I expect them to blow it in the second half as Brady gains some composure putting pressure on the Giants offense to score and I think they will come a bit short.  That has pretty much been their story most of the season, let's see what happens.  I'm just happy there's a reason to keep watching.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1008 on: November 02, 2020, 10:07:07 PM »
Just realized with Kev gone, the title to this thread won't ever change.

If you are a Seahawks fan, you gotta like the way things are shaping up for them in the NFC. A couple tough games coming up, but then some against the NFC East. The road to the SB might go through Seattle in the NFC. And if you don't know the name DK Metcalf yet, now's the time to learn it.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1009 on: November 02, 2020, 10:33:47 PM »
Just realized with Kev gone, the title to this thread won't ever change.

If you are a Seahawks fan, you gotta like the way things are shaping up for them in the NFC. A couple tough games coming up, but then some against the NFC East. The road to the SB might go through Seattle in the NFC. And if you don't know the name DK Metcalf yet, now's the time to learn it.

:metal :metal :metal :metal
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1010 on: November 03, 2020, 07:36:52 AM »
LOL Giants came to play.

Brady has looked a bit off, missed many throws so far.  Giants have been improving week to week and their defense has been solid.  I expect them to blow it in the second half as Brady gains some composure putting pressure on the Giants offense to score and I think they will come a bit short.  That has pretty much been their story most of the season, let's see what happens.  I'm just happy there's a reason to keep watching.

Damn, I hate being this spot on with my team.  Daniel Jones just doesn't have "it"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1011 on: November 03, 2020, 07:49:46 AM »
I haven't heard much chatter about it, which is probably good news, but I think the MNF crew has been pretty good. I've always liked Steve Levy. He sounds excited without feeling fake or cheesy. He's doing a great job here.

No, the crew is good; I like Greise and Riddick, too.   Good insight. 

I actually like that group; always a fan of Suzi Kolber, I'm a big fan of Steve Young, and Randy Moss has been way better than I ever expected him to be (I thought he NAILED the Cam Newton thing above; at least he didn't refer to him as "CN").  I just thought it was a little fan-boyish to go through an entire 20-minute segment mouthing a bunch of initials.  Sounded stupid to me (though I expect to be called "S" from now on).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1012 on: November 03, 2020, 07:53:03 AM »
LOL Giants came to play.

Damn, I hate being this spot on with my team.  Daniel Jones just doesn't have "it"

I loved Judge's take on that:  'Obviously I thought the first call was the right call, but we have to work harder to put ourselves in the position where we're not relying on third parties'.   Or something to that effect.  I don't know; Giants are moving in the right direction, Philly is static, and Dallas is cratering.   I wouldn't rule out the Giants playing meaningful games into December. 

I think you're right, though, Cram; Jones is still making too many bad mistakes when he can't afford to.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #1013 on: November 03, 2020, 08:01:36 AM »
One has to wonder that with these times of the covids, how is it affecting Cam and Zeke's performance? I know you can see that Zeke seems to be struggling to breathe earlier in the season.

Just a thought......
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 08:53:39 AM by hunnus2000 »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1014 on: November 03, 2020, 08:43:27 AM »
I think in Cam's case he's been away for so long and needs practice to gel.  (THAT'S RIGHT ALLEN IVERSON :lol)  Not having a regular season where they had to to practice and gel with a new team had hurt him.