Author Topic: 2020 NFL Thread v. Tom Brady aging better than Mila Kunis  (Read 114471 times)

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
Re: 2020 NFL Thread v. Chiefs give future GOAT big bucks
« Reply #875 on: October 13, 2020, 12:49:17 PM »
The local media is not giving the Titans much chance of winning tonight against the Bill’s.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #876 on: October 13, 2020, 09:26:21 PM »
Two things:

1) The Titans made every team wonder if practice is necessary.

2) The dumpster fire that is this Jets season continues. How do you mismanage a star player so badly that you can’t even trade him?
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #877 on: October 13, 2020, 09:47:41 PM »
The Titans made every team wonder if practice is necessary.

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #878 on: October 14, 2020, 12:00:53 AM »
The dumpster fire that is this Jets season continues. How do you mismanage a star player so badly that you can’t even trade him?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30095589/nfl-power-rankings-week-6-1-32-poll-plus-team-biggest-weakness

NFL Power Rankings Week 6: 1-32 poll, plus each team's biggest weakness

32. New York Jets (0-5)
Week 5 ranking: 32
Biggest weakness: Football
  :lol
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #879 on: October 14, 2020, 06:02:12 AM »
LOL at that moron Bell. Forced his way out of a great organization in the playoff hunt every year to go to the worst team in the NFL and get released.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #880 on: October 14, 2020, 07:41:54 AM »
LOL at that moron Bell. Forced his way out of a great organization in the playoff hunt every year to go to the worst team in the NFL and get released.

Some athletes are in it more for the money than the glory.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #881 on: October 14, 2020, 08:15:28 AM »
In fairness, that's what I would do :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #882 on: October 14, 2020, 08:25:06 AM »
Seems to me the problem with the Bell thing is that he was more valuable to them than Adam Gase, but once he started shooting his mouth off you had to protect the integrity of the team. I reckon NYJ would be better off with Bell than Gase, but you couldn't sack AG without validating Bell's bullshit. If Bell had just kept his fool mouth shut he'd have probably gotten what he wanted pretty soon.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #883 on: October 14, 2020, 10:14:45 AM »
I had no idea the Titans were gonna hand the Bills their ass yesterday.  I sure screwed that one up.   :facepalm:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #884 on: October 14, 2020, 11:23:24 AM »
I had no idea the Titans were gonna hand the Bills their ass yesterday.  I sure screwed that one up.   :facepalm:

And they did.  That was DECISIVE, in all facets of the game.   I certainly thought the Titans COULD win that, but I didn't see that specific outcome coming either.

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #885 on: October 14, 2020, 11:38:36 AM »

And they did.  That was DECISIVE, in all facets of the game.   I certainly thought the Titans COULD win that, but I didn't see that specific outcome coming either.

What I didn't see coming was Tannehill becoming a decent NFL QB.

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #886 on: October 14, 2020, 11:50:30 AM »
BTW - I have a question - If a player has the Predator style haircut (long hair out of the back of the helmet) can you tackle them by the hair? Is that legal?

Offline T-ski

« Reply #887 on: October 14, 2020, 12:28:03 PM »
BTW - I have a question - If a player has the Predator style haircut (long hair out of the back of the helmet) can you tackle them by the hair? Is that legal?

Yes, it is legal.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #888 on: October 14, 2020, 01:24:27 PM »

Yes, it is legal.

Which doesn't make much sense because if grabbed from behind, it could cause the same type of injury that made horse collar tackles illegal.  :dunno:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #889 on: October 14, 2020, 01:26:21 PM »

Yes, it is legal.

Which doesn't make much sense because if grabbed from behind, it could cause the same type of injury that made horse collar tackles illegal.  :dunno:

Yeah - that what my thinking was as well.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #890 on: October 14, 2020, 01:28:08 PM »

Yes, it is legal.

Yeah - that what my thinking was as well.

Then cut your hair?  I think it's too difficult to rule against grabbing hair because it would lead to everyone growing their hair and being much more difficult to tackle or likelihood of getting a penalty.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #891 on: October 14, 2020, 01:45:01 PM »
How bout just tackle the way the old school guys did it?  They didn't need long hair to grab onto.  Tackle the right way. :p

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #892 on: October 14, 2020, 02:51:23 PM »
How bout just tackle the way the old school guys did it?  They didn't need long hair to grab onto.  Tackle the right way. :p

I would consider the dreads to be part of the uniform.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #893 on: October 14, 2020, 03:19:36 PM »
If we had tackles the way the old school guys did, we would have injuries on every other play.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #894 on: October 14, 2020, 05:10:46 PM »
If we had tackles the way the old school guys did, we would have injuries on every other play.

The Mark Gastineau way.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #895 on: October 15, 2020, 07:48:36 AM »

The Mark Gastineau way.
The Dick Butkus Way.

The Mean Joe Greene Way.

The Ray Nitschke Way.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #896 on: October 15, 2020, 08:31:50 AM »

There weren't injuries every other play back then.  I meant there's a fundamental way to tackle someone.  Grabbing hair or a uniform only means that you didn't do it correctly in the first place.  Try not to take what I said out of context.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #897 on: October 15, 2020, 08:34:17 AM »
And now the Falcons are out. According to Schefter, multiple positives and the facilities are shutting down.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #898 on: October 15, 2020, 09:13:20 AM »

The Mark Gastineau way.
The Dick Butkus Way.

The Mean Joe Greene Way.

The Ray Nitschke Way.

I miss those day.  I understand why though.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #899 on: October 15, 2020, 10:10:33 AM »
And now the Falcons are out. According to Schefter, multiple positives and the facilities are shutting down.

Jeez!  As if starting 0-5 and losing the head coach wasn't bad enough.  Looks like their season is over before it had a chance to start.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #900 on: October 15, 2020, 10:23:46 AM »
After listening to all the talking heads discussing Brady yelling at teammates, I kind of had an epiphany: why can't Brady's veteran teammates yell at HIM when he screws up? After all, a shitty pass that misses the receiver by 5 yards and costs you a down is worse than a false start penalty that only costs 5 yards. You should only yell at teammates if you've played a near-perfect game yourself. Oh yeah, and who forgot what down it was again? I mean if anyone deserved a good ass-ripping . . .

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #901 on: October 15, 2020, 10:56:40 AM »
Have you ever heard of players yelling back at veteran QB's?  Why not?  That are the generals on the field.   

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #902 on: October 15, 2020, 11:01:00 AM »
Have you ever heard of players yelling back at veteran QB's?  Why not?  That are the generals on the field.

Sometimes you see a WR yell at them, but those are usually the more hot headed type of players you see do that, like a TO.  And they usually come off looking poorly.  However, I don't think Brady should be yelling at his new teammates personally. (although I'm not sure the circumstances here)

Funny though, I think Bill Obrien's most notable thing before being a head coach was yelling at Tom Brady  :lol  Like that kind of put him in the spotlight as being a leader in some way.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #903 on: October 15, 2020, 11:03:56 AM »
This happens to a lot of the great cerebral QB's in their twilight.  Dan Marino comes to mind.  They know exactly where every player should be in their routes and are frustrated when a player isn't there.  What makes Brady look bad is the 4 down gaff.  The mental errors of Brady to the rest of the team is so small but because he's in the spotlight that 1 or 2 mistakes are amplified.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #904 on: October 15, 2020, 11:11:54 AM »
This happens to a lot of the great cerebral QB's in their twilight.  Dan Marino comes to mind.  They know exactly where every player should be in their routes and are frustrated when a player isn't there.  What makes Brady look bad is the 4 down gaff.  The mental errors of Brady to the rest of the team is so small but because he's in the spotlight that 1 or 2 mistakes are amplified.

Well, you also just don't expect him to make that mistake either, especially at that point in the game.  If that was first quarter, it probably wouldn't have been a big deal.  But the GOAT at the end of a game trying to win it?  Yea, that looks really bad. 

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #905 on: October 15, 2020, 11:17:32 AM »

You may have a point. In Dallas, Tony Romo and Troy Aikman were heavily criticized for getting pissed at running backs or receivers for not knowing their assignments and I don't think there is any disagreement that those two are students of the game. In fact, being the "on field general" is why Troy retired.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #906 on: October 15, 2020, 11:45:34 AM »

Well, you also just don't expect him to make that mistake either, especially at that point in the game.  If that was first quarter, it probably wouldn't have been a big deal.  But the GOAT at the end of a game trying to win it?  Yea, that looks really bad.

In the day and age of headsets, I also blame the coaching staff.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #907 on: October 15, 2020, 11:47:53 AM »

In the day and age of headsets, I also blame the coaching staff.

Well, the coach said Tom knew, makes me think they communicated properly and he just had a brain fart.  Who knows. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #908 on: October 15, 2020, 12:25:34 PM »
It's hard to trust Arians.  He talks out of both sides of his ass sometimes.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #909 on: October 16, 2020, 08:51:14 AM »

There weren't injuries every other play back then.  I meant there's a fundamental way to tackle someone.  Grabbing hair or a uniform only means that you didn't do it correctly in the first place.  Try not to take what I said out of context.

I think there's something to be said for the equipment being as much a hinderance as a help.   Rugby is a tough, physical game, but they don't have the pads that football players do.  I get that it's a different game, with players in different positions, but still.  If you don't have a helmet, you can't lower the helmet into someone.  You're thinking more about your technique and your positioning.   

I'm not suggesting that we get rid of padding or equipment, I'm just saying that it's a dynamic, and one that's hard to calibrate the "sweet spot".