Author Topic: 2022 NFL Thread (Chiefs win Super Bowl 57)  (Read 102173 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: 2022 NFL Thread (R.I.P. NFL)
« Reply #1435 on: November 15, 2022, 07:57:24 AM »
Is that really a thing? Officiating agendas by the league to intentionally skew the results toward one team over another? Uh, wow...

It's not even close to a thing.  It's sour grapes about the greatest offensive player to ever play the game.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1436 on: November 15, 2022, 08:04:01 AM »
Is that really a thing? Officiating agendas by the league to intentionally skew the results toward one team over another? Uh, wow...

It's not even close to a thing.  It's sour grapes about the greatest offensive player to ever play the game.

And never responds to me when I refute the statement.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1437 on: November 15, 2022, 08:22:33 AM »

Wait, did I miss a crack about Jerry Rice?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1438 on: November 15, 2022, 09:07:32 AM »

Wait, did I miss a crack about Jerry Rice?

Tee Hee.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1439 on: November 15, 2022, 03:55:34 PM »
And the thing is, I am not screwing around or trolling.  I have said for a long time that I think Jerry Rice is the football GOAT, and I still think that. 

My short list of the best football players I've ever seen is Jerry Rice, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Lawrence Taylor, Joe Montana, Patrick Mahomes and Micah Parsons.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1440 on: November 15, 2022, 11:40:28 PM »
I was with you up until the last two.  But otherwise, solid list. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1441 on: November 16, 2022, 07:11:04 AM »
I think it's perfectly fine to say that Patrick Mahomes is one of the best players I've ever seen.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1442 on: November 16, 2022, 07:31:35 AM »
Micah Parsons is one of the best, but he can always get better and by that, I mean he "better" get his clan up to speed on defending the run.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1443 on: November 16, 2022, 10:48:12 AM »
I was just needling Stadler a little with those little two picks :), but to channel my inner Bill for a moment, while I agree that Mahomes has looked like one of the best players we've ever seen, we could have said the same thing about Brett Favre in the late 90s, and then he turned into a turnover machine, so let's see how things play out a little more first, (turning off Stadler mode ;) )while still enjoying his greatness in the moment. :P

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1444 on: November 16, 2022, 11:44:07 AM »
I was just needling Stadler a little with those little two picks :), but to channel my inner Bill for a moment, while I agree that Mahomes has looked like one of the best players we've ever seen, we could have said the same thing about Brett Favre in the late 90s, and then he turned into a turnover machine, so let's see how things play out a little more first, (turning off Stadler mode ;) )while still enjoying his greatness in the moment. :P

Favre was always a turnover machine because he believed he could make any throw at any time.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1445 on: November 16, 2022, 12:25:33 PM »
Yeah, hence the nickname "Gunslinger" and when I thought no one could top the Favre drama machine, TB12 proves me wrong.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1446 on: November 16, 2022, 12:28:36 PM »
Mahomes is not that dissimilar from Favre, though, as he also has that gunslingers mentality that he thinks he can make any throw.  Holmgren was able to reign Favre in for the most part when it came to turnovers, and I think Reid, who has always done a good job at coaching his QBs to not turn it over, has done the same with Mahomes.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1447 on: November 16, 2022, 12:56:09 PM »

It feels good, brother, doesn't it? 

I'll say this, though:  if Micah Parsons is NOW one of the best football players you've ever seen, you haven't watched a lot of football.  He's a great player, no DOUBT, but he's not in the top 15 all time yet.  YET. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1448 on: November 16, 2022, 12:59:38 PM »
Mahomes is not that dissimilar from Favre, though, as he also has that gunslingers mentality that he thinks he can make any throw.  Holmgren was able to reign Favre in for the most part when it came to turnovers, and I think Reid, who has always done a good job at coaching his QBs to not turn it over, has done the same with Mahomes.

Andy Reid has gone up like 90 levels in my estimation being coach of the Chiefs. I always thought he was good not great, a choker and a poor game manager (clock, etc.) but he's really shown deeper skills in KC. Granted, he doesn't have to be a great game manager with the team he has, but that's good coaching in and of itself.  Cover your weak spots.   But his ability to design plays to get players open is about as good as it gets. 

He - Mahomes - doesn't throw a ton of picks, but he's also throwing to guys that are open (what was it, last game or the game before he threw a TD to a guy that was 20 YARDS from the closest defender; I could make that throw).  You're seeing more and more that with the game on the line, with the defense stepping up pressure, he's throwing slightly more picks.  That trend is only going to continue.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1449 on: November 16, 2022, 01:12:26 PM »

I'll say this, though:  if Micah Parsons is NOW one of the best football players you've ever seen, you haven't watched a lot of football.  He's a great player, no DOUBT, but he's not in the top 15 all time yet.  YET.

:biggrin: :biggrin:

Andy Reid has gone up like 90 levels in my estimation being coach of the Chiefs. I always thought he was good not great, a choker and a poor game manager (clock, etc.) but he's really shown deeper skills in KC. Granted, he doesn't have to be a great game manager with the team he has, but that's good coaching in and of itself.  Cover your weak spots.   But his ability to design plays to get players open is about as good as it gets. 

He - Mahomes - doesn't throw a ton of picks, but he's also throwing to guys that are open (what was it, last game or the game before he threw a TD to a guy that was 20 YARDS from the closest defender; I could make that throw).  You're seeing more and more that with the game on the line, with the defense stepping up pressure, he's throwing slightly more picks.  That trend is only going to continue.

Time will tell.  It's wild that neither Mahomes nor Tyreek Hill seems to miss the other a lot, at least based on the numbers.  Hill could have more TDs if Tua didn't underthrow him on every deep pass where he's open by a mile, but he is still putting up absurd numbers.  And while the Chiefs aren't getting the frequency of quick scores that they did with Hill, they are still scoring a ton.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1450 on: November 16, 2022, 01:46:25 PM »

:biggrin: :biggrin:

Time will tell.  It's wild that neither Mahomes nor Tyreek Hill seems to miss the other a lot, at least based on the numbers.  Hill could have more TDs if Tua didn't underthrow him on every deep pass where he's open by a mile, but he is still putting up absurd numbers.  And while the Chiefs aren't getting the frequency of quick scores that they did with Hill, they are still scoring a ton.

Kelce is as open as a 24-hour highway truckstop on most plays. That's on him and Reid. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1451 on: November 16, 2022, 02:16:12 PM »
I would have gone with Waffle House, but point taken.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1452 on: November 16, 2022, 03:17:02 PM »

Kelce is as open as a 24-hour highway truckstop on most plays. That's on him and Reid.

Okay, but do we really want to open that Pandora's Box as certain QBs who wear the number 12 are constantly throwing to receivers that are wide open.  The good QBs are the ones who can read the defenses quickly and find the open man right away, ala Peyton, Brady, etc.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1453 on: November 16, 2022, 04:24:08 PM »
Drawn up by your favorite head coach this year  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1454 on: November 17, 2022, 06:54:37 AM »

Okay, but do we really want to open that Pandora's Box as certain QBs who wear the number 12 are constantly throwing to receivers that are wide open.  The good QBs are the ones who can read the defenses quickly and find the open man right away, ala Peyton, Brady, etc.

No, we don't.  I only ask that the standard be the same.  There are conversations here that sound very much like Brady is a product of Belichick times Gronkowski - even though he's proven he's not - and Mahomes is a god among men suffering the fools that are his coaching staff and his plebeian teammates.  If it's a combination of the two in New England, then it's a combination of the two in KC, is all. 

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1455 on: November 17, 2022, 07:31:12 AM »
Mahomes is definitely high-risk very high-reward, but you can't argue the results. His career interception % is actually very low. But the thing the "haters" don't realize is that he's going to get BETTER, not worse. It took Brady until age 30 to be as good as Mahomes is now. Mahomes is 27, he'll continue to learn defenses and such because he works very hard at it, in this way he's very different from Favre.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1456 on: November 17, 2022, 07:50:32 AM »
Mahomes is definitely high-risk very high-reward, but you can't argue the results. His career interception % is actually very low. But the thing the "haters" don't realize is that he's going to get BETTER, not worse. It took Brady until age 30 to be as good as Mahomes is now. Mahomes is 27, he'll continue to learn defenses and such because he works very hard at it, in this way he's very different from Favre.

I don't argue the results.  What he does next year or when he's 35 are not results. They are dreams.   And so that's the phrase I object to most.  LET HIM GET BETTER before you celebrate that he IS getting better.   Let him PLAY.  You have zero idea where he will be when he's 30, only your wildest dreams.  Brady's success is far less dependent on pure athletic ability; it made sense that he got better over time.  It made sense that his numbers from 30 to 39 are better than his numbers from 23 to 29. Mahomes blows out a knee - as Brady did at age 31 - it's not a given at all that he comes back at the same level.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1457 on: November 17, 2022, 03:49:53 PM »
Yeah, I could see it going either way with Mahomes.  His INT % both last season and this season is higher than it was any of his first three years as a starter, so his tendency to turn the ball over is actually on a slightly upward trajectory, not a downward one.  I don't think he will suddenly turn into the turnover machine that Favre did, but I do find it fascinating that he gets a pass for almost everything.

I have never seen a QB get as many excuses as he did after the SB loss to the Bucs.  Yes, his O-line was a mess and blah blah blah, but he's not the first QB in SB history to have certain things going against him, yet others never got the pass that he did.

People still talk like the Chiefs are the kings of the AFC until someone knock them off their throne?  Hmmm, did I imagine that AFCCG last year where Mahomes imploded and played like ass in the entire second half and OT and they lost to the Bengals?  I don't think I did, but I guess for many to acknowledge that that happened would be to admit that Sir Patrick made mistakes.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1458 on: November 19, 2022, 10:09:21 AM »
I'll say this now....the Buffalo Bills management are a bunch of maroons.  :facepalm:

Why the team didn't leave before that massive storm hit is beyond me.  Their airport is close to opening...now they just have to hope the players get there today.  Or manage somehow to get there tomorrow to fly to Detroit.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1459 on: November 20, 2022, 01:58:07 PM »
I bet they're regretting not flexing this Patriots/Jets game to TNF.

Zzzzz.....
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1460 on: November 20, 2022, 02:26:28 PM »
The fucking Bruins scored twice as many points as the Pats offense last night. WTF??

I'm not going to rag on Mac this week. I think he actually played pretty good.

But coming out of a bye week, the best the Pats O could draw up is three FG attempts?? That's fucking embarrassing.

Maybe Patricia is a one year place holder for Bill O'B, and maybe that's the plan. The O-line is atrocious, as is the offence in general. As long as Patricia is there, it ain't gonna get better.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1461 on: November 20, 2022, 02:32:47 PM »
The fucking Bruins scored twice as many points as the Pats offense last night. WTF??

But coming out of a bye week, the best the Pats O could draw up is three FG attempts?? That's fucking embarrassing.

Maybe Patricia is a one year place holder for Bill O'B, and maybe that's the plan. The O-line is atrocious, as is the offence in general. As long as Patricia is there, it ain't gonna get better.
Remember Matt Patricia's first year as DC? I do.

Losing Andrews, again, is rough. Normally they've got the pieces to patch together a solid line regardless of what happens. This year they don't. That's been by far their biggest issue, and I don't see it getting any better.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1462 on: November 20, 2022, 03:03:09 PM »
Daboll has done an unbelievable job with the Giants, but it feels like your upside is limited with that QB, and today was likely the start of their move back to the pack. They have 10-7 and a 1st round loss written all over them.

As for the Jets, that is a legit contender with the right QB, but Zach Wilson is terrible.  Losing on a punt return with seconds to go is such a Jets win to lose, even if it was a bit brutal because of the block in the back that wasn't called.

Jeff Saturday is looking like a good interim head coach thus far.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1463 on: November 20, 2022, 03:40:34 PM »
It won't surprise me at all if Stafford announces his retirement in the next couple of days. His wife was scared shitless after the first one. If he's back in the concussion protocol he might well do the sensible thing. He's not a dumbass, and he's not the douchebag Brady is.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1464 on: November 20, 2022, 03:53:43 PM »
I’m not discussing the atrocity that occurred this afternoon in Foxborough…
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1465 on: November 20, 2022, 04:11:09 PM »

Remember Matt Patricia's first year as DC? I do.

Losing Andrews, again, is rough. Normally they've got the pieces to patch together a solid line regardless of what happens. This year they don't. That's been by far their biggest issue, and I don't see it getting any better.

They've been very predictable on play calls where multiple teams have admitted to knowing the plays. I think that's one of the larger issues with the offense.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1466 on: November 20, 2022, 04:12:16 PM »
No O-line coach either.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1467 on: November 20, 2022, 04:17:46 PM »
Not a block in the back. He's absolute allowed to make that bock. People need to read the damn rulebook. Easier just to say it's the league favoring NE, though.

(Might shoulda been flagged for helmet to helmet, though  :lol)
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1468 on: November 20, 2022, 04:25:14 PM »
Are we talking about the Slater block at the end of the run? If so....not a penalty.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1469 on: November 20, 2022, 04:27:13 PM »
No O-line coach either.

Definitely. Plus there was film this week showing relievers not having separation in their routes and not even looking back for the ball when Mac needed to get rid of the ball. I complete mess of an offense.