Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 704717 times)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

Re: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album
« Reply #4585 on: March 03, 2021, 05:03:27 PM »
The songs Geoff recorded  with Avantasia were the best he recorded in a long time, as compositions and performances as a singer. I think it would be totally great if Tobias Sammet makes an entire album writing and producing songs for Geoff like those.
Anyway, I liked the first Sweet Oblivion album, nothing truly remarkable, but I still like Geoff singing this style of music.
For those who listened the second album, Geoff at least put more effort in his singing than in the first one?

I didn't have a problem with his singing in the first one, and I think the second one is about the same. You can obviously hear that his voice has aged, and that's unavoidable. The second album is less Queensryche-y than the first, and a little bit more forward looking.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #4586 on: March 03, 2021, 05:46:58 PM »

Re: biography update -- very pleased to say that my co-writers and I are in the homestretch with the actual writing. I think we're close to 90k words at this point. I wrapped up my last bit a week or so ago, so all that is left is filling a couple of small gaps based on some interviews we're doing in the next couple of weeks. We have an eye on (I think we actually did decide on it) a great cover shot from an Empire era photo shoot that hasn't really been circulated. And some ideas for the back cover, interior photos, etc., are in the works. It's going to look great (hopefully read great too - lol).

For those wondering, yes, the book will be available in print, and also as a downloadable .pdf, and there will be an Amazon Kindle version too. A limited number of hard covers will also be produced with some bonus stuff and will be available for purchase on the NW Metal Worx website (Amazon, Barnes and Noble, etc., will all just have the standard paperback and e-versions). Without making any promises, we're fairly confident that the book will be out this fall as planned, with plenty of time before the holiday season. Pre-orders will be mid-to-late summer, and we have some cool marketing stuff via social media we'll do as we get into the spring and summer.

It will be worth the wait. We've all done some great interviews with people you wouldn't expect, and tried our best to make sure its the absolute definitive book on Queensryche. We've had a lot of fun with this and it will absolutely have things in it that you never knew about the band.

Oh, and I have a question. For those interested in the book, how important do you think it is to have a discography in the appendix? A few pages that feature information on each album, etc.? In your opinion, is that necessary, or is it just a waste of pages? We haven't decided whether to include one or not, and while this is obviously not a scientific poll, I thought I'd ask you all. I've noticed some band bios have discographies, and others do not. So let me know.

Thanks!

Really looking forward to the book, Brian. It’s about time the Ryche had a biography.

While a discography is a nice feature, I don't think it’s terribly important. Anyone reading the book probably knows the band’s discography by heart anyway.  :lol

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #4587 on: March 03, 2021, 06:37:40 PM »
I'll buy the amazon kindle version for sure! :tup
I don't know, but I think it would be more interesting if the discography appears at the end of the book in a more interesting way, with the author(s) ranking them from the best to worst (it's not a biography, but like it appears at Dream Theater's On Track...).
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4588 on: March 03, 2021, 07:04:15 PM »
Oh, and I have a question. For those interested in the book, how important do you think it is to have a discography in the appendix? A few pages that feature information on each album, etc.? In your opinion, is that necessary, or is it just a waste of pages? We haven't decided whether to include one or not, and while this is obviously not a scientific poll, I thought I'd ask you all. I've noticed some band bios have discographies, and others do not. So let me know.

Yeah what Zoom said about the discography. If it costs you money to print it, don't bother.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4589 on: March 03, 2021, 09:59:45 PM »
I think it would be cool to have a discography.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4590 on: March 04, 2021, 06:23:03 AM »
Bridge is up there as one of my favorite QR songs.

My father wasn't there either and never had any desire to, so it hits very deep.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #4591 on: March 04, 2021, 07:31:05 AM »
Speaking as someone who is planning to buy this—I LOVE 'Discography' sections, specifically, when there's a track-by-track/album-by-album commentary.

I forget which one (I have them all), but one of my KISS books has a song-by-song run-down at the end, complete with a little blurb cotaining comments from the band members...it's probably the only book I go back to, just for that reason.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4592 on: March 04, 2021, 07:34:05 AM »
Speaking as someone who is planning to buy this—I LOVE 'Discography' sections, specifically, when there's a track-by-track/album-by-album commentary.

I forget which one (I have them all), but one of my KISS books has a song-by-song run-down at the end, complete with a little blurb cotaining comments from the band members...it's probably the only book I go back to, just for that reason.

I agree. If it's just a list of albums, that's not a big deal if it's there or not.

If there's comments from the band or producer, well, that's different and would be great.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online goo-goo

« Reply #4593 on: March 04, 2021, 08:45:54 AM »

I agree. If it's just a list of albums, that's not a big deal if it's there or not.

If there's comments from the band or producer, well, that's different and would be great.

Same thoughts. If it's just a list, then no biggie. But if it has extra commentary, producer notes, thoughts from the band, then I would go for it.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4594 on: March 04, 2021, 08:52:07 AM »
Same.

EDIT:  And I fully expect to be able to get my copy autographed.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #4595 on: March 04, 2021, 02:16:59 PM »

Same thoughts. If it's just a list, then no biggie. But if it has extra commentary, producer notes, thoughts from the band, then I would go for it.
Same for me, too.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #4596 on: March 08, 2021, 07:29:23 AM »
It has been three months since one of my closest friends, Jason Slater, passed. I miss our talks, laughs, and all of his stories. As a tribute to him, I wrote a huge feature article that tells all of those Queensryche-related anecdotes he shared with my wife Staci and I over the years.

Jason and I always talked about writing a book together about his adventures. We never got the chance, but today, on what would have been his 50th birthday, seems like a great day to share all those Queensryche stories. Some will make you shake your head, others will make you laugh. Rest in peace, Jason. All of your friends deeply love and miss you.

Remembering My Friend, Jason Slater -- https://anybodylistening.net/jasonslater.html
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #4597 on: March 08, 2021, 11:22:33 AM »
Sorry for your loss  :(

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4598 on: March 08, 2021, 07:22:19 PM »
I really enjoyed what Slater brought to Mindcrime II

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #4599 on: March 08, 2021, 08:00:55 PM »
I really enjoyed what Slater brought to Mindcrime II

Me too. R.I.P.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4600 on: March 09, 2021, 09:04:07 AM »
I enjoyed OMCII   I dont lsiten to it often, but the show of OMC and OMCII together was a really enjoyable show
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 11:09:10 AM by EPICVIEW »
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #4601 on: March 09, 2021, 09:32:32 AM »
It has been three months since one of my closest friends, Jason Slater, passed. I miss our talks, laughs, and all of his stories. As a tribute to him, I wrote a huge feature article that tells all of those Queensryche-related anecdotes he shared with my wife Staci and I over the years.

Jason and I always talked about writing a book together about his adventures. We never got the chance, but today, on what would have been his 50th birthday, seems like a great day to share all those Queensryche stories. Some will make you shake your head, others will make you laugh. Rest in peace, Jason. All of your friends deeply love and miss you.

Remembering My Friend, Jason Slater -- https://anybodylistening.net/jasonslater.html

That was an intense, emotional, cathartic read. Thank you for sharing and sorry for your loss.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #4602 on: March 09, 2021, 01:17:44 PM »
I enjoyed OMCII   I dont lsiten to it often, but the show of OMC and OMCII together was a really enjoyable show

Pretty much any show with OM is going to be at least enjoyable, that said, if you look at the tour before, that show has a hard time being seen as great.

Tour before you had a set of great material followed by one of the greatest concept albums of all time.

That tour you had one of the greatest concept albums of all time then followed by what was at BEST an ill conceived okay attempt at cashing in on that album. I still enjoyed that show, but compared to the previous tour it was downhill for sure.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4603 on: March 09, 2021, 02:28:53 PM »

That was an intense, emotional, cathartic read. Thank you for sharing and sorry for your loss.

Indeed.  Brian, thanks for writing that all down, and thanks for sharing it. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4604 on: March 09, 2021, 06:37:16 PM »

Pretty much any show with OM is going to be at least enjoyable, that said, if you look at the tour before, that show has a hard time being seen as great.

Tour before you had a set of great material followed by one of the greatest concept albums of all time.

That tour you had one of the greatest concept albums of all time then followed by what was at BEST an ill conceived okay attempt at cashing in on that album. I still enjoyed that show, but compared to the previous tour it was downhill for sure.

Hi Nick   How are you my friend....

Yes I was at the tour before and all the tours,  I understand and agree,  It was odd for sure and a bit over acted , but I still enjoyed , I guess I had seen OMC I done since the medley onward in every form and tour of it, that I think we all were just sorta hungry to see the much fabled and by some " wanted" part II,  I personally was fine if they never made OMC II and it was always just OMC forever but for many reasons OMCII would happen for marketing and other options later down the road....  to my long winded point LOL , I / We enjoyed OMCII because the years of anticipation and you have to agree it was a great show and tate did get the audience going with the theatrics,  it was a great(  maybe a tad hokey lol  ) live show looking back  amazing to even say "looking back on OMC II "    time goes fast
Have a great night Nick!!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 07:34:10 PM by EPICVIEW »
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #4605 on: March 10, 2021, 08:36:22 AM »
Thanks to those of you who read it and commented. Appreciate it. Hopefully you got something out of the stories. Maybe a little history you didn't know. :)
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #4606 on: March 13, 2021, 01:45:49 PM »
Definitely a good read - thanks for sharing those stories. Some of them were familiar, but there were some things I don't recall, so it was nice to read the whole thing.

Speak of QR-related things I've just read, I found this pretty interesting:
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/geoff-tate-calls-his-queensryche-album-frequency-unknown-a-mess-and-not-a-very-satisfying-project/

Obviously Tater won't take all the blame for FU, but at least he's admitting that it was a mess.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4607 on: March 14, 2021, 06:02:31 AM »
Definitely a good read - thanks for sharing those stories. Some of them were familiar, but there were some things I don't recall, so it was nice to read the whole thing.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/geoff-tate-calls-his-queensryche-album-frequency-unknown-a-mess-and-not-a-very-satisfying-project/

Obviously Tater won't take all the blame for FU, but at least he's admitting that it was a mess.

That was a funny interview, especially the part when the interviewer says he played guitar on the remix of Frequency Unknown, and Geoff was like "what?!?! They remixed that album? I didn't know that!!"

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4608 on: March 14, 2021, 03:57:24 PM »
I ended up ordering the TLT album.  Been spinning it a bit and I actually think it's fucking unreal.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4609 on: March 14, 2021, 04:02:12 PM »

Way to keep tabs on what's going on with your own artwork, Tater....  ::)

That was a funny interview, especially the part when the interviewer says he played guitar on the remix of Frequency Unknown, and Geoff was like "what?!?! They remixed that album? I didn't know that!!"
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #4610 on: March 17, 2021, 08:20:58 AM »
Don't know how many people here are familiar with Dean Delray's "Let There Be Talk" podcast.  He's a Bay Area guy who was a musician in the 90's (friend of many popular musicians, many of which he's had on his show) and has been a comedian for the past 8-9 years.  Anyway, his latest episode is an hour-long interview with Geoff Tate.  A lot of times, Tate comes off as (in my opinion) a pretentious dick in his interviews.  However, for this one, he came off as, dare I say, charming.  He talks about his whole history with the band and touches upon his Sweet Oblivion project.  I'd recommend it to anyone who has ever been a fan of GT.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4611 on: March 17, 2021, 08:46:31 AM »
Don't know how many people here are familiar with Dean Delray's "Let There Be Talk" podcast.  He's a Bay Area guy who was a musician in the 90's (friend of many popular musicians, many of which he's had on his show) and has been a comedian for the past 8-9 years.  Anyway, his latest episode is an hour-long interview with Geoff Tate.  A lot of times, Tate comes off as (in my opinion) a pretentious dick in his interviews.  However, for this one, he came off as, dare I say, charming.  He talks about his whole history with the band and touches upon his Sweet Oblivion project.  I'd recommend it to anyone who has ever been a fan of GT.

Link Please?

Online goo-goo

« Reply #4612 on: March 17, 2021, 09:56:45 AM »
I ended up ordering the TLT album.  Been spinning it a bit and I actually think it's fucking unreal.

Oh yes. There are some songs where I wasn't expecting that from this record. I also wasn't expecting the heavyness of the record. That is one massive guitar tone!
Been playing it constantly.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #4613 on: March 17, 2021, 12:32:39 PM »
Oddly enough, it's the vocals that really bug me on this.  I like what he did with Queensryche but he's really very screechy on this album. 

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4614 on: March 17, 2021, 02:11:23 PM »

Oh yes. There are some songs where I wasn't expecting that from this record. I also wasn't expecting the heavyness of the record. That is one massive guitar tone!
Been playing it constantly.

Got a nice signed deluxe version with a sticker and guitar pick.  Nice little package and been spinning it too.  Fantastic heavy metal.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #4615 on: March 17, 2021, 03:50:43 PM »
At first I wasn't sure what to think about Rejoice... but now I'm really loving the album. At first, the variety of the TLT vocal performances (within the metal style) seemed to me a bit forced, but now I think it suits the songs and I'm very impressed. TLT is a very talended musician and songwritter, this album totally reaffirms that. My only tiny complaint is the sound of the drums that could be more organic, but they are Ok (and TLT drum performances are very good). Although the album is very homogenous, I would say Critical Cynic and Vexed are amazing!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4616 on: March 17, 2021, 03:58:17 PM »
I spoke with Geoff this afternoon, and I gotta say, I understand his persona a little bit more. He's not a douchebag as many of us tend to believe, but he does have his moments and is kind of tired with all the B.S. of the music business. I commented about the first single that the song is what his fans want: a nod to the old Queensryche sound, with a modern edge. He said "well, that's what a reviewer would say, but I just sit down and write songs". That was honest of him, but some people might think it's confrontational. Another moment was this:

Geoff, you mentioned that you were more involved in the songwriting process of the second Sweet Oblivion album. Can you tell me which songs you brought to the table?"

G.T.: "I can't remember".

Honestly, how do you respond that way about an album you're JUST about to release and promote? But I didn't get a sense that it comes from a place of not caring, he just didn't remember. We shared a few laughs during the interview, and spoke about recording at Le Studio and with Peter Collins, who had worked with Rush. You guys are going to enjoy this chat!

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4617 on: March 17, 2021, 04:24:43 PM »
Oddly enough, it's the vocals that really bug me on this.  I like what he did with Queensryche but he's really very screechy on this album.

i can not stand Todds voice and delivery  and  his stage presence is even worse,  other than that hes good LOL  I cant put my finger on it, ive tried     

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4618 on: March 17, 2021, 04:29:10 PM »
I spoke with Geoff this afternoon, and I gotta say, I understand his persona a little bit more. He's not a douchebag as many of us tend to believe, but he does have his moments and is kind of tired with all the B.S. of the music business. I commented about the first single that the song is what his fans want: a nod to the old Queensryche sound, with a modern edge. He said "well, that's what a reviewer would say, but I just sit down and write songs". That was honest of him, but some people might think it's confrontational. Another moment was this:

Geoff, you mentioned that you were more involved in the songwriting process of the second Sweet Oblivion album. Can you tell me which songs you brought to the table?"

Honestly, how do you respond that way about an album you're JUST about to release and promote? But I didn't get a sense that it comes from a place of not caring, he just didn't remember. We shared a few laughs during the interview, and spoke about recording at Le Studio and with Peter Collins, who had worked with Rush. You guys are going to enjoy this chat!

very very cool Rod..... Geoff is an interesting guy for sure.. I think he was playing with you that hes getting old and cant remember. he has a quirky sense of humor that sometimes falls flat,,  Ive always enjoyed speaking with him as he can be very thoughtful and kind with his time.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4619 on: March 17, 2021, 06:00:16 PM »

What were you expecting?

G.T.: "I remember now". ;D