Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 692383 times)

Offline Dedalus

Re: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album
« Reply #4760 on: May 11, 2021, 10:27:23 AM »
I imagine the possibility of how much crap Tate and Kelly can still do together!  :lol

All those pitiful records were not enough!

This. I’m usually pretty forgiving and loyal once I get into an artist. I’m one of the biggest Lulu apologists on this entire forum. But QRs dysfunction has made Metallica seem downright normal. It’s like Metallica is a slightly controversial episode of Survivor, while QR went straight for Kardasian territory, and then when that burned to the ground, they doubled down into Tiger King territory. It’s just ridiculous at this point.

I’m honestly questioning whether anyone but Todd is actually interested in music at all.

I didn't understand all the references on American TV, but I got the idea (at least I know who the Kardashians are).  :lol

And that's it. I think Tate is the only case of an original vocalist who has left the band after years and a portion of the audience is relieved. 

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4761 on: May 11, 2021, 10:53:34 AM »
I have to say I really thought Tates last few bands doing RFO and Empire etc sounded really good to my ears. 

I would love to hear these records with Todd. And this is where I think the current QR kind of shot themselves on the foot by not jumping ahead of Tate and touring the new stuff along with the old stuff. I get that the current lineup wanted to do their own thing. But imo, that was huge miss. And I give credit to Tate for capitalizing that. I hope I get to see Tate perform RFO and Empire once touring resumes.

why would you want those songs that are from Tates mind to be performed by Todd? 

Can't speak for him, but my answer would be:  Todd can actually sing them and do them justice.  Tate cannot.  Tate's singing has gotten so bad, and his technique so wrong that it makes me physically uncomfortable listening to him.

EDIT:  Or what JD said.

I guess but Ive heard Tate nail them since 82   so to me I dont need to see them without Tate as to me IMO they are his songs, like someone else doing Bowie songs, to me it doesnt work.  Ive said Id like for the QR name to be retired period
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4762 on: May 11, 2021, 10:58:55 AM »
I think TLT does better than ok. I’m 51, and I think TLT is not as good as Tate in his prime, but he’s worlds better than Tate today.

I don’t want to see TLT re-record the old stuff, but I do think they are slightly over focused on the “metal” side and not infusing enough of the melody or the creepy-ness of the old stuff.

Still it’s so much better than anything Tate has done in decades

IDK Bro   Tate did a great job on the RFO stuff before Covid... to me Id rather see him, and Tate owns the stage and the emotion of the song...to me it just doesnt workt= without him, at a live show the little amount of down tuning doesnt bother me at all . Todd to me is actually degrading fast live

Maybe QR3 with Scotty will have a new singer that makes us forget Tate and Todd,,,: )
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4763 on: May 11, 2021, 11:01:36 AM »
I have to say I really thought Tates last few bands doing RFO and Empire etc sounded really good to my ears. 

I would love to hear these records with Todd. And this is where I think the current QR kind of shot themselves on the foot by not jumping ahead of Tate and touring the new stuff along with the old stuff. I get that the current lineup wanted to do their own thing. But imo, that was huge miss. And I give credit to Tate for capitalizing that. I hope I get to see Tate perform RFO and Empire once touring resumes.

why would you want those songs that are from Tates mind to be performed by Todd?  may I ask  your age? Im 57

I think Todd does relatively well with the old material.

Thanks for the answer   we all have our opinions : )

Offline T-ski

« Reply #4764 on: May 11, 2021, 11:07:47 AM »

why would you want those songs that are from Tates mind to be performed by Todd? 

Can't speak for him, but my answer would be:  Todd can actually sing them and do them justice.  Tate cannot.  Tate's singing has gotten so bad, and his technique so wrong that it makes me physically uncomfortable listening to him.

I guess but Ive heard Tate nail them since 82   so to me I dont need to see them without Tate as to me IMO they are his songs, like someone else doing Bowie songs, to me it doesnt work.  Ive said Id like for the QR name to be retired period

I want to make sure I understand what you’re saying here...you think Tate is still “nailing” it vocally as he was in 1982?
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4765 on: May 11, 2021, 11:14:42 AM »
“Heard”

Past tense

That stopped somewhere in the mid-late 90s. Haven’t heard him “nail” anything since. Although I admit the recent shows were a mild improvement.

Have you heard Gordon Lightfoot try to do his stuff recently? He sounds like crypt-keeper.  Artists sometimes just need to hang it up. Sometimes tribute artists ARE better...especially when the original artists has proven that they are neglecting their instrument.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4766 on: May 11, 2021, 11:21:22 AM »
Exactly.  Nobody here is comparing Todd to Tate in his prime.  I was a bit late to the party and didn't see them live until the Building Empires tour.  But even then, few, if anybody, could touch Tate live.  Back then, I wouldn't want to see anyone else doing those songs.  But talking about going to a show now, I just wouldn't even go to a show with Tate on lead vocals.  Even if it was free, I have no desire to hear him ruin those songs and make me physically uncomfortable hearing him "singing" them incorrectly and in a way that you can hear is doing further damage to his throat.  I have seen Queesnryche during this era, and I would, under the right circumstances* do so again.

*I say "under the right circumstances" because I feel that their shortened sets make me feel short changed.  Give me a longer set or another band touring with them that I want to see, so that I feel I am getting some value for my ticket price, and I'm there.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4767 on: May 11, 2021, 11:26:28 AM »

I want to make sure I understand what you’re saying here...you think Tate is still “nailing” it vocally as he was in 1982?

Im saying I heard him nail them live from 82 until say 94. after that his voice changed but thats ok and he was maybe 85% and gave in some on some of the higher notes live but it never took away from the live experience,  I think we forget it been almost 40 years for Geoff and he still is getting it done live and many of us are still happy with his voice period and we love him on stage as hes one of the very best frontmen ever   Todd may have a higher vocal ability but live hes  terrible to watch IMO so why would I want to "watch" Todd live ever? id rather play the ole albums if I want "Notes" hit   IMO as always for debate
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 11:36:13 AM by EPICVIEW »

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4768 on: May 11, 2021, 11:31:40 AM »
“Heard”

Past tense

That stopped somewhere in the mid-late 90s. Haven’t heard him “nail” anything since. Although I admit the recent shows were a mild improvement.

Have you heard Gordon Lightfoot try to do his stuff recently? He sounds like crypt-keeper.  Artists sometimes just need to hang it up. Sometimes tribute artists ARE better...especially when the original artists has proven that they are neglecting their instrument.

Ill have to take a listen   God Bless hes still around

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #4769 on: May 11, 2021, 11:47:33 AM »
I know this is the ultimate fence-sitter position, by why can't folks just enjoy both?

I prefer Tate to La Torre, but there's no denying that La Torre can perform the songs in the original key. No, they don't sound as GOOD as how Tate did them in QR's prime. But there are a variety of factors -- Tate back then was untouchable. Everyone knows it. His voice is also very different than Todd's. Todd's voice is thinner. He can hit those notes (not as clean), and hold a few, but his voice is just naturally not as...full...as Tate's was back then. There (is/was) a power and warmth from Tate's early years that Todd has never been able to duplicate. And it's unfair to think anyone can.

Todd has his own unique voice, and is incredibly gifted. I personally wish Queensryche would just focus on the three albums with him, and just pepper the set with a few of the old classics. If they generally do 15 songs, make 10 of them from the three La Torre records, make five of them the "must play" classics of Queen of the Reich, Take Hold of the Flame, Eyes of a Stranger, Empire, Silent Lucidity.

Make the rest of the set the stuff that was recorded and written specifically with and for La Torre. Arguably, to my ears, the performance would be better. That's never going to happen, because the band believes (and probably correctly) that people expect the old material. That puts La Torre under the spotlight continually to replicate Tate's past. And frankly, while he's done an admirable job, that's really an unfair expectation from people.

That said though, many people think La Torre is "just as good" as Tate back in the day. Obviously, that is subjective. But the more people that think that when they see them, the better it is for Queensryche.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4770 on: May 11, 2021, 12:02:07 PM »
QR3   The Original QR3 , featuring Original QR3 founding member Scott Rockenfield

Vocals: David Lee Roth

Guitar: Mick "whip" Mars

Guitar: Robert "the Hat" Sarzo

Bass : Juan "Juan Bass" Croucier

Drums: Scott Rockenfield
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 12:40:09 PM by EPICVIEW »

Offline Lupton

« Reply #4771 on: May 11, 2021, 12:35:41 PM »
That scoring system is silly. 

I was trying to dance around it but you just went there.   :lol  yeah, it's dumb.

It's divest of merit.  ;)

It's a travesty to be honest.

It's a shamockery.
You need to harvest the last vestige eric42434224!

Double score!  :metal

Offline Lupton

« Reply #4772 on: May 11, 2021, 12:35:52 PM »
I'm preaching to the choir here, but it REALLY devalues a band's name when they "branch out" like that. Queensryche, LA Guns, Great White...it makes me not want to check out any of the iterations of these bands going forward.

Choir? You're preaching to the choir, the vestry, the whole damn church!

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4773 on: May 11, 2021, 01:25:39 PM »
Random QR Q: "I'm sorry. It's just starting to hit me like a... Ah.. a two ton heavy thing"

Is that Geoff? Someone else? What does it mean? Does it have any relevance to Empire?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 02:27:31 PM by DoctorAction »
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4774 on: May 11, 2021, 01:41:10 PM »
No, it's not Geoff.  I'll leave further explanation to Samsara. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline T-ski

« Reply #4775 on: May 11, 2021, 01:54:38 PM »
Random QR Q: "I'm sorry. It's just staying to hit me like a... Ah.. a two ton heavy thing"

Is that Geoff? Someone else? What does it mean? Does it have any relevance to Empire?

Thanks!

I’m pretty sure it’s Randy Gane, but ya, Samsara would be the one with this tidbit.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4776 on: May 11, 2021, 02:27:47 PM »
 :tup

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4777 on: May 11, 2021, 02:32:35 PM »
Yep, as bosk and T-Ski said, it's Randy Gane. He left a message on Geoff's voicemail and they used it for the intro to "Empire."
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4778 on: May 12, 2021, 08:22:13 AM »
Are his words related to the song, do we know? They don't send to be.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4779 on: May 12, 2021, 08:58:38 AM »

The song is about the black market drug kingpins in many ways,   the line is about taking a drug and "it hitting him like a 2 ton heavy thing" ( or maybe a self revelation or epiphany )  so yes the line is connected, IMO

Offline Setzer

• Queensr˙che Aficionado
« Reply #4780 on: May 12, 2021, 09:48:34 AM »

The song is about the black market drug kingpins in many ways,   the line is about taking a drug and "it hitting him like a 2 ton heavy thing" ( or maybe a self revelation or epiphany )  so yes the line is connected, IMO

Do you actually know or are you just making it up?

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4781 on: May 12, 2021, 09:53:33 AM »

Do you actually know or are you just making it up?

I know the song,,, : )  its pretty much what its about.  right?  The video also points to that also...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSTct2FFamw

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4782 on: May 12, 2021, 10:12:54 AM »
Jeez, you certainly can tell it was EPICVIEW who crunched those member number ratings.  :lol

strictly science...I used PIE to calculate... Blueberry : )

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4783 on: May 12, 2021, 01:04:50 PM »

I see what you're saying. Seems like a bit of a leap to me, honestly. The songs isn't about taking drugs and it isn't obvious to me that the intro line is either.

I'm not bashing Empire, btw. One of my favourite albums of all time. I never thought about the intro line until recently but it seems like there might be more to it than what meets the eye.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #4784 on: May 12, 2021, 01:17:31 PM »
Exactly.  Nobody here is comparing Todd to Tate in his prime.  I was a bit late to the party and didn't see them live until the Building Empires tour.  But even then, few, if anybody, could touch Tate live.  Back then, I wouldn't want to see anyone else doing those songs.  But talking about going to a show now, I just wouldn't even go to a show with Tate on lead vocals.  Even if it was free, I have no desire to hear him ruin those songs and make me physically uncomfortable hearing him "singing" them incorrectly and in a way that you can hear is doing further damage to his throat.  I have seen Queesnryche during this era, and I would, under the right circumstances* do so again.

*I say "under the right circumstances" because I feel that their shortened sets make me feel short changed.  Give me a longer set or another band touring with them that I want to see, so that I feel I am getting some value for my ticket price, and I'm there.

I saw him live in...2009, I think.  It was the year that Queensryche/Fates Warning/Dream Theater were touring together and even then, over a decade ago he was having a very difficult time singing the more vintage 80's material.  I wouldn't really be interested in seeing them with Tate again.  But if they come around with Todd I might check it out because I really like the albums they've done with him and I'm sure that material would dominate their sets now. 

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4785 on: May 12, 2021, 01:31:03 PM »

I saw him live in...2009, I think.  It was the year that Queensryche/Fates Warning/Dream Theater were touring together

Summer 2003.

and even then, over a decade ago he was having a very difficult time singing the more vintage 80's material.  I wouldn't really be interested in seeing them with Tate again.  But if they come around with Todd I might check it out because I really like the albums they've done with him and I'm sure that material would dominate their sets now.

Funny enough, I was thinking how long ago it was. I thought about Live Evolution, which came out in 2001, and can't believe that was 20 years ago this fall.

re: current QR and the setlist -- that's the thing, the current material with Todd does NOT dominate the sets. I saw them last February before COVID shut it all down. They played four songs from The Verdict. Nothing else from the TLT era. The other 13 songs in the set were all classic material from the EP-Empire.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #4786 on: May 12, 2021, 01:36:52 PM »

I saw him live in...2009, I think.  It was the year that Queensryche/Fates Warning/Dream Theater were touring together

Summer 2003.

Damn  :lol   I'm old, ha ha

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4787 on: May 12, 2021, 01:39:53 PM »

I see what you're saying. Seems like a bit of a leap to me, honestly. The songs isn't about taking drugs and it isn't obvious to me that the intro line is either.

I'm not bashing Empire, btw. One of my favourite albums of all time. I never thought about the intro line until recently but it seems like there might be more to it than what meets the eye.

No leap at all IMO   the song is about drug lords and drug cartels building empires off selling drugs to the weak and vulnerable   its a snaphot of that part of society's  ills    its about the drug wars and drug laws at that time. 

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #4788 on: May 12, 2021, 01:40:28 PM »

Summer 2003.

Damn  :lol   I'm old, ha ha

Queensryche/Fates Warning/Dream Theater Summer 2003 -> As I Am (ToT)  :)

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4789 on: May 13, 2021, 09:21:30 AM »
 QR3   FEATURING ORIGINAL FOUNDING QR3 MEMBER SCOTT ROCKENFIELD

BEHOLD   THEIR FIRST RELEASE SNIPPET 

IN A WORLD THAT WILL EXPLODE

https://www.queensryche2021.com/

IM ALL IN !!!!  I can feel the Lady Gaga and Moby in it.... Im telling you DtC wsa a band effort , any questions? Buehler?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4790 on: May 13, 2021, 09:27:32 AM »
Before opening the link, I thought that "behold their first release snippet in a world that will explode" was the press release, I didn't get that the second line was the title of the song  :lol

I mean, look at the tone of Scott's posts, it was not out of the realm of possibilities for him to write that.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4791 on: May 13, 2021, 09:29:52 AM »
If he's got some solo stuff or a new band, I would check it out.  But I'm not going to support another "Queensryche".  There can be only one.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4792 on: May 13, 2021, 09:30:05 AM »
That sounds exasperatingly banal.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4793 on: May 13, 2021, 09:32:31 AM »
That sounds exasperatingly banal.

well said Boss...

for some reason I envision in my mind "Bam Bam and Pebbles" playing this

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4794 on: May 13, 2021, 09:34:34 AM »
If he's got some solo stuff or a new band, I would check it out.  But I'm not going to support another "Queensryche".  There can be only one.

Cmon now    Queensryche is about evolving   they have now evolved into 3 Bands    Maybe Jackson should start his own and show them all who really was the visionary of the band