Author Topic: Avatar  (Read 175681 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Avatar
« Reply #1330 on: April 22, 2014, 08:32:30 AM »
I don't want Jim Cameron to be remembered as the guy who gave us The Terminator, Terminator 2, The Abyss, True Lies, Titanic and then just did Avatar for the rest

of his career. Once Avatar 4 is out - he should do something entirely and completely different.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1331 on: April 22, 2014, 08:36:33 AM »
So, which famous Disney classic will they rip off for the script of Avatar 2?  ;)

Which Disney film did they rip off for Avatar ? Was it the one with a really familiar and simple story that's been told many times before it ?

This and you don't watch Avatar for the story anyway.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1332 on: April 22, 2014, 08:38:43 AM »
That's a pretty lazy excuse.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1333 on: April 22, 2014, 08:44:27 AM »
Nobody cared when it was Gravity.

That film has even less story than Avatar and is even MORE about the visuals.

Don't hear anyone complaining.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1334 on: April 22, 2014, 08:47:15 AM »
Zantera, if you hate Avatar so much, why even post in this thread? I mean, I can see discussing it if it comes up in the movie thread, but why come in this one just to reiterate what you dislike about it?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1335 on: April 22, 2014, 08:48:12 AM »
Probably so they can go " lol butthurt avatar fanboy " when we give perfectly reasonable answers to their every tired and oft-repeated criticism ;)

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1336 on: April 22, 2014, 08:49:59 AM »
I'm still willing to give the sequels a chance though. Cameron's comments on how story/characters will be more fleshed out in a sequel has me interested. The first movie was okay (with some flaws we've gone through before), but a second movie could be good, if those problems are fixed. So even if I'm not a big fan of the original, a sequel will still be interesting. Cameron is a talented filmmaker, and if he is willing to put ~10-15 years of his life into this franchise, I'm still intrigued to see what he comes up with.

Also, regarding Gravity.. I've actually avoided seeing the movie because of the criticism I've heard for it. A movie might look good visually, but if it has zero substance or depth, that's something that will put me off on watching it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1337 on: April 22, 2014, 08:52:34 AM »
Gravity is more of a thematic movie than a narrative movie.

it doesn't have a strong plot but it does have a thematic through line which is very evident in the movie.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1338 on: April 22, 2014, 08:52:53 AM »
I'm still willing to give the sequels a chance though. Cameron's comments on how story/characters will be more fleshed out in a sequel has me interested. The first movie was okay (with some flaws we've gone through before), but a second movie could be good, if those problems are fixed. So even if I'm not a big fan of the original, a sequel will still be interesting. Cameron is a talented filmmaker, and if he is willing to put ~10-15 years of his life into this franchise, I'm still intrigued to see what he comes up with.

Also, regarding Gravity.. I've actually avoided seeing the movie because of the criticism I've heard for it. A movie might look good visually, but if it has zero substance or depth, that's something that will put me off on watching it.

I don't care for Avatar either Zantera and i bet a 2nd movie will be more of the same.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1339 on: April 22, 2014, 08:53:53 AM »
:lol That's good if you like Avatar ! More of the same ? Hell yeah !

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1340 on: April 22, 2014, 09:05:03 AM »
Nobody cared when it was Gravity.

That film has even less story than Avatar and is even MORE about the visuals.

Don't hear anyone complaining.

Ahem: https://hoppedonpop.com/2013/11/05/the-worlds-end-gravity-invasion-of-the-persona-snatchers/ (Bottom half of the article)
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1341 on: April 22, 2014, 09:18:25 AM »
People have mentioned it - but it's not a one-note all encompassing criticism like Avatar gets.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1342 on: April 23, 2014, 08:30:49 AM »
If you took the visuals out of gravity, the movie was pretty shitty. Some of the stuff was just laughable. I'm sorry, but propelling yourself through space with a fire extiguisher.... fucking stupid. There was nothing in Avatar that was even close to that bad.

I'm really anticipating greatness for the sequels. The story can be taken in a million different directions. One thing I'm really hoping for.... getting to see a more advanced group of natives. We've only seen a very tiny portion of Pandora. Here on Earth, despite our amazing technological advancements, there are still tribes of humans that we’ve yet to make contact with. For all we know, the Na’vi we’ve been introduced to could be on the trailing edge of the Na’vi race. I think it’d be awesome to see groups more advanced with the ability to make war machines and crazy armor.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 10:04:08 AM by Chino »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1343 on: April 23, 2014, 11:03:10 AM »
Seeing as how Stephen Lang is meant to be in it - i'm thinking it would be cool to have a Quaritch Avatar introduced. Or a Quaritch Na'vi .

That's what i'm thinking will happen. Then Jake has to face off against him all over again - only this time he's even more tough.

Supposedly Sigourney is in it again too. Dunno how that one will work.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1344 on: April 23, 2014, 11:37:42 AM »
Well Grace is with Ewa, and her Avatar body may not have decomposed yet. In the first movie, she said something like “It’s a global network, and the Na’vi can access it. They can upload and download data, memories, at sites like the one you just destroyed”. I’m thinking her memories are with Ewa and will somehow be put into her Avatar. Who knows, maybe someone as important to the Avatar program as Grace gets more than one Avatar in the event one gets killed. Maybe we’ll see a new Grace avatar, with less of the human features, and its body will have her memories downloaded to it by Ewa. Anything can be made up for this really. For example, jake could have some super Na'vi brain, being a mix of the human brain and all, and be able to do things the other Na'vi can't. Maybe he has the ability to extract Grace's thoughts through the Tree of Souls, save them in his brain, connect to Grace's avatar, and then transfer her memories to the body that way. A human element might be needed to tranfer the consciousness. Mo'at did say "her wounds were too great, t'was not enough time. She is with Ewa now". Well, Jake's brain and body are perfectly healty, maybe he can do for Grace what her human body was unable to do.

As for Quaritch, I don’t know what to expect. Bringing him back is going to be challenging without making it seem forced and unrealistic. It’s safe to say that the humans have mastered cloning, especially seeing as they were able to grow an organic life form while mixing DNA from two species that evolved light years apart. I see one of three possible scenarios. 1) Quaritch has a cloned backup body, exactly like the one that was killed, and just has his most recent memories dumped to it. 2) Quaritch, in the first film, was actually an avatar. He controlled himself without actually putting himself in harm’s way. The real Quaritch is somewhere else. 3) They somehow bring him back, and in conjunction with one of the first two things I mentioned, end up getting him into a Na’vi looking avatar in an attempt to pull off what Jake failed to do. I’m hoping they don’t just throw him back into the mix though. Maybe begin to brew that batch in the second movie, and then have him come back full villain in the third movie. Who knows, maybe he’ll just be in the prequel.

Sidebar. It's a stretch, but I'd love to see footage of Earth where they have captured Na'vi on display at a zoo, or something like that.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 11:44:07 AM by Chino »

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1345 on: April 23, 2014, 11:40:01 AM »
If you took the visuals out of gravity, the movie was pretty shitty.

Alright, well it is my personal opinion, and I'm completely OK with us agreeing to disagree, but I feel exactly the same about Avatar. Well OK, not shitty, just not that good.

I don't hate Avatar; I just think the hype is way overblown.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1346 on: April 23, 2014, 11:41:44 AM »
If you took the visuals out of gravity, the movie was pretty shitty.

Alright, well it is my personal opinion, and I'm completely OK with us agreeing to disagree, but I feel exactly the same about Avatar. Well OK, not shitty, just not that good.

I don't hate Avatar; I just think the hype is way overblown.

I wasn't directing that at you.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1347 on: April 23, 2014, 11:49:53 AM »
Oh, I just figured since I was the one who posted the Gravity article. Nvm then, carry on.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1348 on: April 23, 2014, 12:59:16 PM »
Bottom line for me personally :

Loved Avatar. Loved the visuals. The movie was obviously *about* the visuals. Yes, the story was simple and a familiar tale told before several times -

- but that didn't bother me in the slightest as I wouldn't have wanted a complicated story for a film like that anyway.

If anything the simple plot made the film way more fun and exciting.

I thought the pacing in the theatrical release of Avatar was great. Every few scenes - the movie would ramp up and continue to build towards the final

battle - which is worth the ticket price alone in my opinion. James Cameron definitely knows how to frame and direct action.

Also - watching the 90 minute making of - you can see just how much work went into making the movie.

Something along the lines of 1 year of pre-production - 1 year of motion capture - 1 year of live action shooting and 1 year of post production.

That made me appreciate it even more seeing all the work that went into it.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1349 on: April 23, 2014, 01:21:59 PM »
Ditto. I've even gone so far as to watch the movie completely in the volume setting.

Your thought on my predicitions a few posts back?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1350 on: April 23, 2014, 02:03:24 PM »
Interesting thoughts. I don't think it will be too hocus pocus as Jim Cameron likes to have some semblance of scientific fact.

Still 18 months til we find out though.

All 3 scripts are supposedly finished so I don't know how they're going to finish filming Avatar 2 between now and it's December 2016 release.

What is the volume setting ?

I may have to watch the film again with JC commentary if there is one.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1351 on: April 23, 2014, 02:04:57 PM »
Yeah :/ there's no chance we get it for December 2016. I'm anticipating a minimum of a year delay.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1352 on: April 23, 2014, 02:06:47 PM »
Yeah :/ there's no chance we get it for December 2016. I'm anticipating a minimum of a year delay.

Well - it has been like 6 or 7 years since the first movie - so they might have significantly sped up the rendering process.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1353 on: April 23, 2014, 02:09:42 PM »

Well - it has been like 6 or 7 years since the first movie - so they might have significantly sped up the rendering process.

No doubt, but they're filming all three at once. Even if it's not all getting the post production treatment before the Dec 2016 release, that's still a crapload of content to capture. Cameron also said he's looking to do 4K and the high frame rate recording. That's probably going to pose problems just being a new venture and all. My fingers are crossed.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1354 on: April 23, 2014, 02:12:09 PM »
Well I waited 12 years for the 1st film :lol

Hmm - there doesn't appear to be any commentary track on my 3 disc avatar DVD. :sadface:

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1355 on: April 23, 2014, 02:16:03 PM »
Commentary for what?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1356 on: April 23, 2014, 02:18:06 PM »
Director's audio commentary.

I'd have listened to that if there was one.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1357 on: April 23, 2014, 02:19:36 PM »
Hmm. I don't recall ever listening to one if it's on the Blu-ray release.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1358 on: April 23, 2014, 02:21:07 PM »
Hehe - there's a version of the movie with no bad language though. Ha.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1359 on: April 23, 2014, 02:26:36 PM »
I've watched it from beginning to end in Spanish.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1360 on: April 23, 2014, 02:50:23 PM »
Well Grace is with Ewa, and her Avatar body may not have decomposed yet. In the first movie, she said something like “It’s a global network, and the Na’vi can access it. They can upload and download data, memories, at sites like the one you just destroyed”. I’m thinking her memories are with Ewa and will somehow be put into her Avatar. Who knows, maybe someone as important to the Avatar program as Grace gets more than one Avatar in the event one gets killed. Maybe we’ll see a new Grace avatar, with less of the human features, and its body will have her memories downloaded to it by Ewa. Anything can be made up for this really. For example, jake could have some super Na'vi brain, being a mix of the human brain and all, and be able to do things the other Na'vi can't. Maybe he has the ability to extract Grace's thoughts through the Tree of Souls, save them in his brain, connect to Grace's avatar, and then transfer her memories to the body that way. A human element might be needed to tranfer the consciousness. Mo'at did say "her wounds were too great, t'was not enough time. She is with Ewa now". Well, Jake's brain and body are perfectly healty, maybe he can do for Grace what her human body was unable to do.

Nah.  She'll just be a force ghost.  In the next film, she'll go to the jungle world where Jake is temporarily training under an exiled Navi master, and then in the one after that, she'll appear at the end as a force ghost along with said master and with Jake's father.  I'm telling you, that is how it will go down.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #1361 on: April 24, 2014, 08:00:52 AM »
I ran across this link this morning.   Posting just in case Chino hasn't seen and is feeling like changing his pants again. ?  :)

https://inhabitat.com/disney-unveils-first-images-of-upcoming-avatar-land-park-inspired-by-pandora/
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1362 on: April 24, 2014, 08:12:09 AM »

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1363 on: April 24, 2014, 09:02:54 AM »

Nah.  She'll just be a force ghost.  In the next film, she'll go to the jungle world where Jake is temporarily training under an exiled Navi master, and then in the one after that, she'll appear at the end as a force ghost along with said master and with Jake's father.  I'm telling you, that is how it will go down.

:rollin :rollin
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #1364 on: April 24, 2014, 09:05:09 AM »

It took me too long to get this.  :rollin :rollin :rollin
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"