Author Topic: Avatar  (Read 174056 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Avatar
« Reply #1470 on: October 13, 2014, 12:48:02 PM »
Being unemployed must be easier over there than it is over here.  I've been unemployed multiple times, and I could never afford to go to movies I didn't think I would like.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1471 on: January 14, 2015, 11:59:57 AM »
The Avatar sequels have been pushed back at least a year  :'(

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1472 on: January 14, 2015, 12:01:11 PM »

Meh I can wait. I waited 12 years for the first film and I loved it.

I just hope that Jim Cameron doesn't wait too long to do other projects that he starts churning out crap like Ridley Scott is.

I'm more interested in his re-imagining of The Fantastic Voyage.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1473 on: January 14, 2015, 01:25:28 PM »
Not a shock.  Cameron has never made a deadline before, not sure why we would expect him to do so now.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1474 on: January 14, 2015, 01:27:40 PM »
Not a shock.  Cameron has never made a deadline before, not sure why we would expect him to do so now.

I never anticipated them to be out on time. To be honest, I bet they don't even make the 2017 release. But hey, an avatard can dream, can't he?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1475 on: January 14, 2015, 01:30:22 PM »
Dream away.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #1476 on: January 14, 2015, 07:28:45 PM »
I'm 100% fine with this.

Just like JJ Abrams taking his time to do The Force Awakens right by releasing in December and breaking the "Star Wars ALWAYS in May" rule.  I'd much rather a director/studio/etc take extra time to get things done than put something out too quickly "just cuz".  I think JJ also pushed back Star Trek if I'm not mistaken.

Watching Avatar now it's amazing to think it came out in December 2009 which is basically a lifetime ago when considering the POW POW POW age we live in with regards to how everybody wants everything and they want it yesterday.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1477 on: January 15, 2015, 12:01:04 AM »
Partly the reason I put Jim Cameron above other directors because he takes his time to make the film he wants to make.

He could have put out Avatar 2 years after Titanic was massive and cashed in but he waited 12 years til the technology allowed to him to make it

how he wanted.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1478 on: February 25, 2015, 06:59:29 AM »
Some pretty cool news regarding the sequels  :corn

https://www.crossmap.com/news/avatar-2-release-date-and-plot-spoilers-james-cameron-clarifies-rumors-regarding-leaving-pandora-z-16668

The plot synopsis has yet to be revealed, but contrary to the previous reports that Jake Sully (Sam Worthington) and the Navi's will embark in another journey to another planet, Avatar 2 will still feature a return to Pandora...just with a slightly different habitat.
          As the creator had talked about, it will feature a new environment for them. "We're making up an ocean ecosystem for Pandora. That's gonna have less to do with the deep exploration that I've done than it has to do with my concerns about conservation of Earth's oceans." He said to Coming Soon.

The script is still evolving, but actress, Zoe Saldana, who plays Neytiri already had a brief glimpse of what it's about.
          "It was wonderful. Jim took us and gave us a tour of all the reference pictures, telling us the stories. I haven't been able to read the scripts. They're still working on them. We kind of get choked up. [Cameron] gets emotional telling us about the story. I get emotional hearing about it, so I'm looking forward to it." She said to MTV.

https://www.kpopstarz.com/articles/178116/20150224/avatar-2-trailer-official.htm

"It's going to be a lot of new imagery and a lot of new environments and creatures across Pandora. We're blowing it out all over the place. At first I thought I was going to take it onto other worlds as well, in the same solar system, but it turned out not to be necessary," he added. "I mean the Pandora that we have imagined will be a fantasy land that is going to occupy people for decades to come, the way I see it. There's a fair bit of underwater stuff. It's been inaccurately said that the second film takes place underwater. That's not true. There are underwater scenes and surface-water scenes having to do with indigenous ocean cultures that are distributed across the three films."
Aside from the new creatures featured, fans also speculate a new angle in the upcoming movie that involves Jake Sulley having his own family in Pandora.
"We spread it around quite a bit more as we go forward. It's really the story of his family, the family that he creates on Pandora. His extended family. So think of it as a family saga like 'The Godfather,'" said Cameron.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1479 on: February 25, 2015, 07:52:04 AM »
Cool stuff. I am very much looking forward to these movies.

Only thing I hope is that they won't get too preachy about the ocean-thing mentioned in that first article.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1480 on: February 25, 2015, 07:58:04 AM »
I'm really hoping the next three movies shine. The fact that they are all being filmed as one massive project is encouraging. It's starting look like Avatar was the practice run for the franchise. They kept the story simple and proved that the technology, the characters, and the environment all worked together as they should. They got the language, the culture, the materials, etc, all sorted out. We were given the backstory of how Jake wound up on Pandora. Now that all that basic stuff is out of the way, Cameron can make a proper trilogy.

It's going to be weird never seeing Jake in his human form again. I'm also curious as to what his offspring will look like. Will his child(ren) have the same human characteristics that his Avatar possessed? 

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1481 on: February 25, 2015, 08:10:46 AM »
Yeah I have the same hopes.

I'm also really curious about the 'Jake's extended family' thing. I'm wondering how many years this trilogy will span, or how long after Avatar it picks up. Does this mean that Jake will have a 'Vito Corleone'ish role in these movies, which leads me to wonder if the trilogy will have that shift of character focus that those movies have?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1482 on: February 25, 2015, 08:32:13 AM »
Yeah I have the same hopes.

I'm also really curious about the 'Jake's extended family' thing. I'm wondering how many years this trilogy will span, or how long after Avatar it picks up. Does this mean that Jake will have a 'Vito Corleone'ish role in these movies, which leads me to wonder if the trilogy will have that shift of character focus that those movies have?

If that's a godfather reference, I don't get it  :lol

I'm going to go out on a limb and say we will get to see Jake age and die and old Na'vi. We might even see something paying tribute of Neytiri saying "My grandfather's grandfather was Toruk Makto. Rider of last shadow" in the first film. Maybe we'll see a few generations after Jake's death and hear something similar said about him. It's entirely possible that Jake and Neytiri won't even be the focal point as the story continues.

As for the extended family thing, I've going to assume that will be all family starting Jake's offspring. Who knows though, maybe Cameron is going to somehow get some of Jake's Earth relatives to Pandora and have the RDA use them as leverage.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1483 on: February 25, 2015, 08:37:38 AM »
Even though you claim to not get my point, it seems that you already have the exact same thoughts that I was trying to explain  :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1484 on: February 25, 2015, 09:54:15 AM »
I hope they turn out well.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1485 on: February 25, 2015, 10:23:10 AM »
I imagine they will. However, I don't expect any of them to come anywhere near the first in terms of dollars earned.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1486 on: February 25, 2015, 10:26:32 AM »
I would like them to, it would be cool. But I agree in not believing they will.

Offline Cable

« Reply #1487 on: February 25, 2015, 07:51:58 PM »
Well, the one year delay will not hurt the cross-media integration going on at Walt Disney World. I do not think "AvatarLand" will be done until 2017 at the earliest.
---

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1488 on: February 25, 2015, 07:53:15 PM »
I can wait.

I waited 12 years for Avatar and was thoroughly entertained.

I know that with J.C. at the helm - it will *AT LEAST* be a fun ride and be technically impressive.

Hey and at least Avatar's simple plot made sense unlike Ridley Scott's Prometheus !

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1489 on: February 26, 2015, 02:54:39 AM »
I think Prometheus makes sense enough if you take your time with it.

On topic, I keep going back in my head to what Chino said yesterday:
... It's starting look like Avatar was the practice run for the franchise .... They kept the story simple and proved that the technology, the characters, and the environment all worked together as they should.

I'm really excited about this aspect, which I'm hoping is true. I love Avatar, but if I had a gun to my head and told to name name a fault, it would be how the story might be a bit used and simple. I'm hoping that Cameron and his team of screenwriters really take enough time to flesh out a great story, which it does sound like they are from everything I have read or heard.

I'm just imagining the world and visuals of Avatar, with a more complex and superior story. It could be a masterpiece.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1490 on: February 26, 2015, 02:57:53 AM »
I love Avatar *because* of the simple story :dunno:

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1491 on: February 26, 2015, 06:19:17 AM »
Hopefully the sequels will have an interesting story. Less Sam Worthington would help, but I fear that he will remain the protagonist for 3 sequels, and that really sucks. At least Cameron knows how to put a movie together visually, so it should be interesting to see at least.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1492 on: February 26, 2015, 06:34:12 AM »
I love Avatar *because* of the simple story :dunno:

Yeah. I really don't have a problem with it. However, going forward, I do think Cameron needs to step it up a notch. We've been introduced to the Na'vi and Pandora in the best way. Now it's time to go nuts. I'm assuming the next three movies will provide 9+ hours of content. That's a lot of story telling.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1493 on: February 26, 2015, 06:54:51 AM »
The best thing is that Cameron says that each film will have a 3 act structure but that there will also be an over-arcing story across all three films.

He says he hates when a film ends on a cliffhanger so each film will have it's own resolution.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1494 on: February 26, 2015, 07:07:12 AM »
I have confidence that he'll do a great job. I can't wait to see how some of the old characters return. Grace, obviously is being stored within Ewa. I'm curious as to whether her return will be in the form of flashbacks or her memory eventually being successfully transferred into an Avatar. Quaritch on the other hand is going to be a little more interesting. Seeing as they can clone an a Na'vi, I'm guessing humans are even easier at this point. I wonder if the humans can store memories in a computer and then transfer them into a human avatar. That'd be a convinient way to bring him back.

One thing I'd really like to see acknowledged... Ewa can transfer human memory into avatar memory. Will Norman be a permanent Na'vi eventually as well (Grace too for that matter)? What about everyone else in the Avatar program? I'm also wondering if the conflict will involve the RDA again. Do the humans come back right away? I'm thinking we get at least one movie where the main issue involves maybe the side effects of human activity on Pandora (not the humans themselves) and maybe other Na'vi tribes as well. The humans can come back in full force for an epic battle to end the final movie.

If the humans do come back for a decond attempt, I hope Cameron paints it as a desperate attempt by the humans to maintain their population and way of living. Cameron didn't really make that clear in the first movie.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1495 on: February 26, 2015, 07:38:27 AM »
He says he hates when a film ends on a cliffhanger so each film will have it's own resolution.

I don't agree with that. They're not always good, but it can be great. Like a TV show on a super-massive scale.

The humans can come back in full force for an epic battle to end the final movie.

Yeah, I'm suspecting this to be the final thing as well. Maybe with the first two movies creating and resolving conflicts among the Na'vi tribes, then uniting against the humans.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1496 on: February 26, 2015, 07:43:56 AM »
The third one needs to be a teamup with Neil Blomkamp to bring the Xenomorphs to encounter the Na'vi.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1497 on: February 26, 2015, 07:51:04 AM »
The third one needs to be a teamup with Neil Blomkamp to bring the Xenomorphs to encounter the Na'vi.

That could be a really cool and dark (and expensive) fanmade movie.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1498 on: February 26, 2015, 08:51:17 AM »
What if the Space Jockey in the first Alien movie is actually a Na'vi trying to escape Pandora with a ship full of Alien eggs, and the Avatar movies are prequels to Alien?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1499 on: February 26, 2015, 09:21:53 AM »

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1500 on: February 26, 2015, 09:53:04 AM »
Alien vs. Avatar: Requiem

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1501 on: February 26, 2015, 10:34:21 AM »
The Na'vi would get fucking slaughtered.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1502 on: February 26, 2015, 11:06:35 AM »

Lol. That's cute.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1503 on: February 26, 2015, 11:46:07 AM »

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1504 on: February 26, 2015, 11:46:35 AM »

This. One egg on Pandora and their race would get wiped out.