Author Topic: Avatar  (Read 174073 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Avatar
« Reply #1505 on: February 26, 2015, 12:17:12 PM »
Bullshit.

If the humans can beat the aliens, through the transitive property, the Na'vi should beat the aliens too.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1506 on: February 26, 2015, 12:25:50 PM »
Depends on if you count it as actually "winning". In the first and third movie it's only 1, and in Aliens they basically just fight them off long enough to escape from the planet. If the aliens actually came to earth and nested with eggs, facehuggers and the whole nine yards, the humans would be so screwed.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1507 on: February 26, 2015, 01:25:19 PM »
Bullshit.

If the humans can beat the aliens, through the transitive property, the Na'vi should beat the aliens too.
The humans can't beat the aliens.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1508 on: February 26, 2015, 01:54:45 PM »
Yeah my money would be on the Aliens. The ultimate biological killing weapon of the universe. The "perfect predator".

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #1509 on: February 26, 2015, 02:30:27 PM »
Awesome footage of the Disney Imagineers and James Cameron creating the world of Pandora for Disney's Animal Kingdom. Render me curious if not excited. That artwork of the floating mountains looks amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQm4B2UYGY8

EDIT:

There's a blog post from one of the head Imagineers about this

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2015/02/bringing-the-world-of-avatar-to-life-at-disneys-animal-kingdom/

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1510 on: February 26, 2015, 06:11:29 PM »
I have confidence that he'll do a great job. I can't wait to see how some of the old characters return. Grace, obviously is being stored within Ewa. I'm curious as to whether her return will be in the form of flashbacks or her memory eventually being successfully transferred into an Avatar. Quaritch on the other hand is going to be a little more interesting. Seeing as they can clone an a Na'vi, I'm guessing humans are even easier at this point. I wonder if the humans can store memories in a computer and then transfer them into a human avatar. That'd be a convinient way to bring him back.

One thing I'd really like to see acknowledged... Ewa can transfer human memory into avatar memory. Will Norman be a permanent Na'vi eventually as well (Grace too for that matter)? What about everyone else in the Avatar program? I'm also wondering if the conflict will involve the RDA again. Do the humans come back right away? I'm thinking we get at least one movie where the main issue involves maybe the side effects of human activity on Pandora (not the humans themselves) and maybe other Na'vi tribes as well. The humans can come back in full force for an epic battle to end the final movie.

If the humans do come back for a decond attempt, I hope Cameron paints it as a desperate attempt by the humans to maintain their population and way of living. Cameron didn't really make that clear in the first movie.

While I didn't get anything out of the story of the first movie it'd be interesting to see more how Earth is at this point. The questions you bring up seem more geared to somewho who is fascinated by Avatar and while there seems to be a group that feels the same I can't imagine that'd be very interesting to the average viewer. While there always is the whole "let's explore more of Pandora" it seems like an easy copout to create a sequel with as the actual story of the first movie wrapped itself up in a way that really didn't beg a sequel by any means. Cameron and co will have to step up their game to actually create something that isn't pure fanservice.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1511 on: February 27, 2015, 05:43:57 AM »
We got to see Earth in the alternative opening sequence of the first film. I'm completely content with three more movies of nothing but Pandora. We have seen so little of Pandora. For all we know, the Na'vi could be the equivalent of Earth's Amazon tribes. For all we know, there could be Na'vi on Pandora that live very advanced lives with technology (I'm envisioning 1800s in the US).

I'll have to disagree that the first film didn't beg for a sequel. So many things got left unresolved.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1512 on: February 27, 2015, 05:51:20 AM »
We got to see Earth in the alternative opening sequence of the first film. I'm completely content with three more movies of nothing but Pandora. We have seen so little of Pandora. For all we know, the Na'vi could be the equivalent of Earth's Amazon tribes. For all we know, there could be Na'vi on Pandora that live very advanced lives with technology (I'm envisioning 1800s in the US).

I'll have to disagree that the first film didn't beg for a sequel. So many things got left unresolved.

But if Avatar was one film and a sequel never got made - that would be absolutely fine.

I'm more excited about what JC does *after* he's finished with this Universe. I want to see him remake The Fantastic Voyage as rumoured.

I'd LOVE that. A movie like Inner Space made with today's technology by James Cameron.

YES PLEASE.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1513 on: February 27, 2015, 05:55:06 AM »
I also think the first Avatar works pretty well as a single movie, and I was honestly surprised when the sequels were announced. But I very much welcome them.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1514 on: February 27, 2015, 06:15:29 AM »
Sequels were inevitable but I was a bit crestfallen when he announced there would be three.

I'd have been happy with two more Avatar films. But three more ?!

But yeah I also am thinking that the first movie introduced the idea of the universe and the next three are the "proper" trilogy.

Also I don't think the next one will make anywhere near as much money as the first.

I'm thinking Avatar 2 will be a huge hit . Probably a $1bn movie then the next two will make about 10 - 25% less each time..

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1515 on: February 27, 2015, 06:23:08 AM »
Well, if my memory is correct, James Cameron initially announced two sequels to make a trilogy. He said there could possibly be a fourth movie down the road as a prequel. I think after sitting on it, he came to the conclusion that filming another three movies, and making them the sequel, would make the most sense financially.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1516 on: February 27, 2015, 06:26:34 AM »
That would be the right choice in my opinion. I don't know why, but I don't care much for prequels.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1517 on: February 27, 2015, 06:31:15 AM »
That would be the right choice in my opinion. I don't know why, but I don't care much for prequels.

I was excited for a prequel. I wanted to see first contact so badly (maybe we still will in a flashback or something). Also, I wanted to see the accident that occurred when human first started mining the floating mountains.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1518 on: February 27, 2015, 10:57:50 AM »
"Left untold" is not the same thing as "unresolved."  I think the film stands fine on its own, no "need" for a sequel.  I don't have a problem with there being sequels, I just don't think they are necessarily called for.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1519 on: February 27, 2015, 02:16:04 PM »

I was excited for a prequel. I wanted to see first contact so badly (maybe we still will in a flashback or something). Also, I wanted to see the accident that occurred when human first started mining the floating mountains.

As disinterested as I am in the entire Avatar franchise as a whole, this would interest me.

Although, that being said, to go to Hef's point, there is definitely something to keeping some things untold, and this may be one of those things.  Yes, having this part of the story shown gives a sense of "completeness."  But sometimes, the mystery is even better.  Case in point:  In the Battlestar Galactica episode "33," why did the Cylons appear and resume chase at precisely every 33 minutes?  There was apparently a lot of Internet chatter and a lot of fans wanting that to be fleshed out and told.  The creators toyed with the idea of giving an explanation at some point down the road in another episode or in The Plan.  Ultimately, they decided against it and decided that leaving that part of the story untold made the episode and its place in the story more powerful and mysterious.  I agree with that decision. 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 02:22:44 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1520 on: March 24, 2015, 01:59:04 PM »

Came across this on my newsfeed today. Interesting that individual pieces of organisms can be grown. This most likely explains how Quaritch comes back in the sequels. My guess is he regularly backed up his thoughts to a hard drive. The RDA probably grew another Quaritch body and regrew his old brain (including memories). Presto, the villain is back. Or, they just grew him a new heart and revived his recently shot up corpse.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1521 on: March 24, 2015, 02:05:31 PM »
I'm very excited for these next movies, but I am sceptical about Quarich and Grace being back. The impact of loss of character is always weakened by having characters return. They might pull it off and do something interesting, but it's one of the aspects which makes me a little bit nervous.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1522 on: March 24, 2015, 02:14:38 PM »
I'm very excited for these next movies, but I am sceptical about Quarich and Grace being back. The impact of loss of character is always weakened by having characters return. They might pull it off and do something interesting, but it's one of the aspects which makes me a little bit nervous.

I would be if Cameron wasn't directing it. I don't think he'll let the character fall into that trap. Quaritch is most likely going to be a clone, but I'm hoping for more. It'd be awesome if we didn't here about him at all in the second movie and then see him return as an 'evil' avatar himself.

As for Grace, her character might get really interesting. She said she takes on a different form in all three movies.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1524 on: June 05, 2015, 01:03:28 PM »
So I heard a rumour that Cameron has written a FOURTH Avatar sequel.

I'd have been fine with 2 sequels , 3 was pushing it but FOUR SEQUELS ?!

Unless he's doing it like a Marvel Cinematic Universe where each film has all new characters etc.

People will truly be sick of it if the franchise extends to FIVE films.

Not to mention I want Jim Cameron to move onto something new before he gets too old to do anything else. I'm WAY more interested in his reported

Fantastic Voyage remake.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1525 on: June 05, 2015, 01:12:42 PM »
People will truly be sick of it if the franchise extends to FIVE films.

Lol

As for a fourth sequel... not quite. Jim and his team of writers wrote the story/scripts for the rest of the franchise. However, upon finishing, it turned out they had enough content to make four more movies. Jim has said several times that they are working to cut it down to keep it to just three more movies.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1526 on: June 05, 2015, 01:17:54 PM »
I would have wanted them to shoot it all anyways, I think budget wouldn't be a problem. Then cut it down in editing, and then release a blu ray with all the extra material. The super-mega-editions. I'd be cool with that.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/2931572/it-industry/hp-to-help-turn-iavatari-sequels-into-a-digital-attraction.html

And I have no idea what any of this means, so I'm not sure what to think or feel.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1527 on: June 05, 2015, 01:20:35 PM »
I would have wanted them to shoot it all anyways, I think budget wouldn't be a problem. Then cut it down in editing, and then release a blu ray with all the extra material. The super-mega-editions. I'd be cool with that.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/2931572/it-industry/hp-to-help-turn-iavatari-sequels-into-a-digital-attraction.html

And I have no idea what any of this means, so I'm not sure what to think or feel.

I feel the same way.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1528 on: June 05, 2015, 01:36:15 PM »

Jim has said several times that they are working to cut it down to keep it to just three more movies.

I hope so. If they release one a year - then Avatar will be like the introduction and the 3 sequels will be the actual Trilogy.

It's already been 6 years. The next three will look different to the first one due to the improvements in tech and the time passed.

Then the new three will all look similar due to all being made at the same time.

I think that's how it should play.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1529 on: June 05, 2015, 04:59:56 PM »
Jim and his team of writers wrote the story/scripts for the rest of the franchise. However, upon finishing, it turned out they had enough content to make four more movies.

Actual content or fan service? I'm not sure what other stories absolutely needed to be told based on the first movie or if they had to create more subplots to justify newer movies.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1530 on: June 08, 2015, 06:31:23 AM »
Jim and his team of writers wrote the story/scripts for the rest of the franchise. However, upon finishing, it turned out they had enough content to make four more movies.

Actual content or fan service? I'm not sure what other stories absolutely needed to be told based on the first movie or if they had to create more subplots to justify newer movies.

No story 'absolutely needs to be told', but that doesn't mean there aren't good stories to tell. Here are a few things that I, as an avatard, would really love to see explored.

- Jake and Neytiri have children, the first true Na'vi/Human hybrids. Does the genetic mashup strengthen or hinder the children?
- The humans. Is there more than one RDA base? Are humans still on Pandora despite that one batch which packed up and went home (allegedly)? With the unobtanium supply possibly running low, what does that mean for life back on Earth?
- Other Na'vi tribes. We only saw a few of many. For all we know, the omaticaya clan could be the lowest form of Na'vi in terms of advancement. It'd be awesome if they were the equivalent of remote tribes in Africa and there are other sections of Pandora where the Na'vi are as advanced as humans were in the 1800s.
- Wildlife. Jim could make a fake Planet Earth like documentary of Pandora's ecosystem and I'd gladly watch it.
- Many humans stayed behind. Will Ewa transition all of them into their avatar bodies like Jake? What will their role be? The Na'vi now have access to all the tech left behind by the humans. When the humans inevitably come back, the Na'vi will be able to put up a much stronger fight.
- The remaining humans would speed up the advancement of the Na'vi culture at an alarming rate.

Jim has said several times that they are working to cut it down to keep it to just three more movies.

I hope so. If they release one a year - then Avatar will be like the introduction and the 3 sequels will be the actual Trilogy.

It's already been 6 years. The next three will look different to the first one due to the improvements in tech and the time passed.

Then the new three will all look similar due to all being made at the same time.

I think that's how it should play.

I'm pretty sure that's how it is going to go down. The first film with its easy story and proof of concept tech was a great way to introduce the world to the Na'vi and Pandora. James has now laid the foundation to pretty much make any trilogy he wants. It's really exciting.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1531 on: August 17, 2015, 08:12:30 AM »

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1532 on: March 30, 2016, 06:46:11 AM »
The theme park is really starting to take shape!

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1533 on: April 14, 2016, 01:28:18 PM »
Apparently, James Cameron confirmed he's making four Avatar sequels. Yeah, you read that right, four goddamn movies.

The guy is hungry  :lol
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1534 on: April 14, 2016, 01:52:33 PM »
Last I heard was 3 sequels so 4 total.

I just wish he'd do something different.

I don't want him to quit after the 4th film and be remembered as the guy who had a massive hit

and chased the dollar for the rest of his career.

MIND YOU. At least he didn't do Avatar 2,3,4 in 2011,2012,2013.

AT LEAST he's taking his time.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1535 on: April 14, 2016, 02:06:16 PM »
It was announced today. 4 sequels, 5 total.

"Each film will hit theaters at Christmas, the first in 2018. Then 2020, 2022 with the finale in 2023."

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1536 on: April 14, 2016, 02:15:32 PM »
It was announced today. 4 sequels, 5 total.

"Each film will hit theaters at Christmas, the first in 2018. Then 2020, 2022 with the finale in 2023."
What do you mean 5 total? It's 4 sequels, meaning 4 movies, right?
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1537 on: April 14, 2016, 02:16:12 PM »
The first movie + its 4 sequels = 5

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1538 on: April 14, 2016, 02:19:06 PM »
I'm not sure why you're including the first movie though or am I missing something?  ???
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1539 on: April 14, 2016, 02:24:57 PM »
Huh  :huh:

5 movies, dude.