Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 554988 times)

Offline bluefox4000

Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #5985 on: September 14, 2021, 04:29:48 PM »
Yea the cover shouldn't be on that album should have been a single on streaming or something.

As to the album i still love it.  not afraid Pt. 2 is my fav track.  Reminds me of a neal era Spock's epic.

i'm not however feeling beyond the years now that new album smell is gone.  too many random bits fror me that never quite gel.

it's probably down near the bottom of the epic's for me.  i forget how parts go immediately.  whereas i'm humming most bits of Not Afraid 2 all day.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #5986 on: September 14, 2021, 04:47:04 PM »
The original Bridge over Troubled Water is an astonishingly great song, folks.

Absolutely!
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5987 on: September 15, 2021, 07:08:07 AM »
I guess I’m the only one who likes their take on Bridge Over Troubled Water.  :lol

Not the only one.  Might just be us two and the band, but so be it! 

Offline 425

« Reply #5988 on: September 15, 2021, 07:18:35 AM »
I still need to give the album more time (Iron Maiden kind of stole my attention), but my early impression of the cover is positive.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online Kram

« Reply #5989 on: September 15, 2021, 07:18:53 AM »
They should have kept the cover and Emergence off of the album (neither was necessary) - other than that, another 5 Star NMB release!!

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #5990 on: September 15, 2021, 07:38:21 AM »
Finally got my tracking number the other day, but it's going to take a whole week just to get to NJ from TN.
Photobucket sucks.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #5991 on: September 15, 2021, 07:49:53 AM »
Neal has announced a new trio with Nick D'Virgilio and Ross Jennings, aptly named D'Virgilio, Morse & Jennings. Their debut album is set to be released through Inside Out Music in early 2022, titled Troika.

Today’s the day! I’m delighted we can finally announce this:

Nick D’Virgilio (Big Big Train, ex-Spock’s Beard), Neal Morse (Transatlantic, NMB, ex-Spock’s Beard), and Ross Jennings (Haken, Novena) are pleased to announce the formation of their new trio D’Virgilio, Morse & Jennings.

The group has signed to InsideOutMusic for the release of their debut album ‘Troika’ in early 2022.

Recorded during lockdown, the process began with Neal Morse writing some acoustic songs that he thought would be enhanced by strong vocal harmonies. He already knew how well his voice blended with former Spock's Beard bandmate and Big Big Train drummer/ vocalist, Nick D'Virgilio, who came on board, and considering a third man, the Americans sought out Haken's Ross Jennings from the UK to complete the trio. All three found they had songs that would benefit from the three part harmonic blend, and so they pooled their resources, inputting creatively into each other's compositions.

The tracks took shape with the musicians recording all of the music and vocals separately, yet the eclectic performances burst with the energy and excitement of the collaboration. Acoustic anthems, charged rockers and sensitive ballads are all part of the mix, and the unique blend of Ross, Neal and Nick's voices and styles have created an album in which you will encounter these musicians in a way you've never heard before.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #5992 on: September 15, 2021, 07:51:15 AM »
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online The Letter M

« Reply #5993 on: September 15, 2021, 07:52:12 AM »
Already a new thread made for it :lol https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=56839.0

I literally just saw it after I replied.  :facepalm:

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #5994 on: September 15, 2021, 10:59:34 AM »
took a second email to Radiant two weeks after my last one was never responded to, but finally got a confirmation that my order is shipping today  :tup

Offline emtee

« Reply #5995 on: September 15, 2021, 11:09:56 AM »
Beyond The Years is among the best music Mike and Neal have ever created.

Offline Mr.Mister

« Reply #5996 on: September 15, 2021, 11:34:39 AM »
Beyond The Years is among the best music Mike and Neal have ever created.

It starting to click for me too, which is why I have reserved judgement on it.

There are moments that are breathtaking to me: the section that starts on the 12:50 mark all the way until the "islands in the sun" line capture everything NM is really good at: from multi-layered vocals, to complex yet melodic arrangements, to a more heartfelt phrasing in about 2 mins. It's the sugar papa likes. 

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5997 on: September 15, 2021, 12:39:33 PM »
I guess I’m the only one who likes their take on Bridge Over Troubled Water.  :lol
Well, I don't DISLIKE it.

But the original is definitely superior.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #5998 on: September 15, 2021, 03:22:51 PM »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5999 on: September 15, 2021, 04:56:09 PM »
Who cares Darkshade. It's like you've blanked out over the past 50 years of music.

The music is important.  Not the name. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline darkshade

« Reply #6000 on: September 15, 2021, 05:10:45 PM »
Who cares Darkshade. It's like you've blanked out over the past 50 years of music.

The music is important.  Not the name.

Not sure what you're getting at. It's not like Nick, Neal and Ross are jazz musicians getting together for a session and releasing it as an album.
This is going to be rock-related music. Give it a name.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6001 on: September 15, 2021, 05:18:00 PM »
They did.  The music matters more.  Unless you think a name matters more?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline darkshade

« Reply #6002 on: September 15, 2021, 05:45:31 PM »

Since we can't listen to the music right now, there isn't a whole lot else to discuss.
A name in and of itself doesn't matter, name themselves "Crap Pile" for all I care. To me, it shows a lack of creativity, and maybe a bit of pretentiousness.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6003 on: September 15, 2021, 07:30:16 PM »
A pretentious musician?  Someone alert the media right away!!!!!! :lol :lol :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6004 on: September 15, 2021, 07:33:38 PM »

Since we can't listen to the music right now, there isn't a whole lot else to discuss.
A name in and of itself doesn't matter, name themselves "Crap Pile" for all I care. To me, it shows a lack of creativity, and maybe a bit of pretentiousness.

Oh yes.  I know of these guys history in music but this name?  I totally blanked out. Let's talk about their name because I'm that shallow.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #6005 on: September 15, 2021, 07:54:34 PM »
Well, I don't DISLIKE it.

But the original is definitely superior.

Oh, for sure! But I appreciate that they took it somewhere different. As opposed to DT who seem to try to make carbon copies with their covers. That’s not appealing to me.

But, back to NMB, I can’t tell if some people don’t like the song, or are just turned off by it being a cover. I just enjoy it for what it is.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline darkshade

« Reply #6006 on: September 15, 2021, 07:55:26 PM »
A pretentious musician?  Someone alert the media right away!!!!!! :lol :lol :lol

Quick! Call Taylor Swift! She must be warned!

Offline darkshade

« Reply #6007 on: September 16, 2021, 03:26:26 PM »
Tried giving the first disc of I&D a separate listen from the 2nd disc, then listened to the two epics separately, as I find myself not able to stay focused on the 30+ minute closer after all that other music before it, since I'm still digesting all this music. It made me realize how quick the 1st disc goes by, and is pretty solid all the way through. I'm still trying to wrap my head about the two epics, and I can't say which one I prefer, but I'm still waiting for that "A-HA" moment for each one. They're littered with great ideas, I'm just not seeing the whole picture yet. This is a good thing, because epics that I completely understand quickly tend to lose their luster over time. I still think this is one of Neal's best because of all this. Big expansive prog rock music isn't always supposed to be understood with just a few listens.

I also really don't like that sudden ending to Beyond the Years.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #6008 on: September 16, 2021, 03:29:35 PM »

I feel like that's just one of those things that you either like or you don't like. Same with The Beatles' "I Want You" or Dream Theater's "Pull Me Under".

-Marc.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #6009 on: September 16, 2021, 03:31:42 PM »

I feel like that's just one of those things that you either like or you don't like. Same with The Beatles' "I Want You" or Dream Theater's "Pull Me Under".

-Marc.

Strangely, the ending of PMU doesn't bother me. Raw Dog has a sudden ending as well, and I don't care for it, but I reeeeeally dislike the ending to BTY for some reason, maybe because it's just the strings at the end, and the way it cuts off irks me, whereas the other songs are heavy or have the full band and it kind of works better for some reason.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #6010 on: September 16, 2021, 03:42:28 PM »
Raw Dog

I don't even consider this a 'real' DT song. I know it's 'DT' by name and whatever but knowing that JMX wasn't even involved in the writing process and that it was bore out of a request/obligation to write a song for a video game.....it just doesn't seem like an authentic DT song. Anyway.....
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline darkshade

« Reply #6011 on: September 16, 2021, 04:43:59 PM »
Raw Dog

I don't even consider this a 'real' DT song. I know it's 'DT' by name and whatever but knowing that JMX wasn't even involved in the writing process and that it was bore out of a request/obligation to write a song for a video game.....it just doesn't seem like an authentic DT song. Anyway.....

What about You Not Me? or all of BC&SL since JLB wasn't involved in the writing of that entire album.
Is any post-MP DT real DT? Is The Astonishing real DT since 3 out of the 5 members of the band were not involved in the writing process?

Offline 425

« Reply #6012 on: September 16, 2021, 09:22:41 PM »

-Marc.

I think it works on Pull Me Under, and doesn't work so great on Beyond the Years. I don't hate it, but I would have preferred a fade.

We can always hope that it gets a less sudden ending when it's played live. (One thing I love about Neal Morse and Mike Portnoy is that being played live is not an "if" when it comes to an epic like this.)
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #6013 on: September 16, 2021, 10:01:59 PM »
I've been giving Beyond the Years Stand alone listens.  and while parts of it are jumping out at me more.  the I will be Here melody.  the Spanish flamenco part.  the abrupt heavy mid section.  that's all i'm getting is parts.  sorry i'm just hearing one of the most disjointed epics ever.

it's still down near the bottom still for me.  i'd much rather have more of I'm not Afraid PT. 2.  That is over way too quick i can have that piece go on another 30 minutes.  and yea beyonds abrupt ending is kinda anti-climactic.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6014 on: September 17, 2021, 10:05:53 AM »
RESCHEDULED NMB TOUR DATES
NMB have decided to move their October USA Tour Dates to February 2022.

NMB have been considering this decision for some time now. In light of the current uncertainties, we feel that the health and financial risks associated with this tour would be reduced by postponing the shows until February 2022.

We have worked with the promoters and have been able to reschedule all of the shows in the same cities and venues, so all tickets purchased will be good for the new dates, including VIP. And…

The good news is that we can now consider more dates for the tour and bring NMB to more places, which will give more of you the chance to see the band! So, look for new shows to be announced soon!

We regret having to make this difficult decision in light of our fans that have made travel arrangements and we apologize profusely. But hopefully everyone can understand the reasoning behind it. So, we will see you in February, God willing!

The other great news is that Morsefest 2021 will be going ahead on Friday, October 8th and Saturday, October 9th! So, this is your opportunity to see NMB’s only two shows of 2021, featuring the live premieres of songs from Innocence & Danger as well as once-in-a-lifetime rarities!

Tickets are still available for in-person shows including some VIP tickets, or you can join us virtually, also with VIP options. All details are here: https://www.nealmorse.com/product-category/morsefest/

Online faizoff

« Reply #6015 on: September 17, 2021, 10:31:49 AM »
It also looks like they're adding  more dates, this was below that text

New tour dates:

Feb 07 Baltimore MD - Soundstage

Feb 08 NYC NY - Sony Hall

Feb 09 Boston MA - The Sinclair

Feb 10 TBA

Feb 11 TBA

Feb 13 TBA

Feb 15 Cleveland OH - Beachland Ballroom

Feb 17 Philadelphia PA - Keswick

Feb 18 Detroit MI - Crofoot

Feb 19 St Charles IL - Arcada

Feb 20 Fort Wayne IN - Pieres

Feb 22 Seattle WA - Triple Door

Feb ** TBA
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #6016 on: September 17, 2021, 10:32:19 AM »
Dang, I was really looking forward to seeing them Oct 12th in Seattle.  Well at least I have tickets for February now..   
I wonder of DT will do the same thing?
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #6017 on: September 17, 2021, 10:33:50 AM »
Well, that pretty much deals me out.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6018 on: September 17, 2021, 10:46:20 AM »
Mother.....

I LITERALLY bought my tickets - to NY AND Boston - this morning, and opted out of the "protection" protection.  I say that because I have a strong suspicion that one of those TBA's will be in Connecticut, and likely at a place where I can get front row and save a drive.  Dammit.   

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6019 on: September 17, 2021, 10:59:28 AM »
Mother.....

I LITERALLY bought my tickets - to NY AND Boston - this morning, and opted out of the "protection" protection.  I say that because I have a strong suspicion that one of those TBA's will be in Connecticut, and likely at a place where I can get front row and save a drive.  Dammit.

Well, I guess our meetup is delayed.