Author Topic: Wolfking's Wonderful Winger roulette v.3 - Round 2 album listening commenced  (Read 39870 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Wolfking's Wonderful Winger roulette v.3 - Final results have come...
« Reply #2695 on: May 13, 2024, 04:57:50 PM »
Honestly, I'm starting to see Wolfie's point with her.  I kind of get the criticism.  I love me some cheese, but that is just too... over the top.

I checked out that new song too (well, a minute of it), and holy shit it was bad.  The first song the other week I just kind of went, 'meh', but this one, dear lord!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2696 on: May 13, 2024, 04:59:45 PM »
It's not even the cheese that's the problem. It's the fact she is not a good singer and the music is so over the top bland and boring.

Her voice is just complete screeching and her dancing and choreography is just one of the most unattractive things I've seen.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2697 on: May 13, 2024, 05:00:37 PM »
All the positive comments on the videos too (as Bill mentioned) are also complete headscratchers and makes me hate the shit even more!

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #2698 on: May 13, 2024, 06:51:47 PM »
Something in the Youtube algorithm has taken a hard 180 turn in the last few years, and it's becoming difficult to find videos with a substantial number of views that aren't just effusive praise, no matter how poor the content. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2699 on: May 14, 2024, 07:42:17 AM »
Her voice is just complete screeching and her dancing and choreography is just one of the most unattractive things I've seen.

that's just it for me; I can't really fathom what they're going for.  I get it, if you're going for the cheese, then embrace it, but I don't get the sense that that's the goal; it doesn't seem like they're in on the joke.  If they're not what's the end?  It's not sexy, it's not "fun" music...  I'm lost, frankly.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2700 on: May 14, 2024, 06:57:31 PM »
that's just it for me; I can't really fathom what they're going for.  I get it, if you're going for the cheese, then embrace it, but I don't get the sense that that's the goal; it doesn't seem like they're in on the joke.  If they're not what's the end?  It's not sexy, it's not "fun" music...  I'm lost, frankly.

That exactly sums up Frontiers downward trajectory over the years and this 'artist' is no exception.  It's almost satire or a parody of what the genre used to be about when it was good.  But it's not a parody done on purpose at all.  I think the label still thinks they are producing adequate material for the genre, completely oblivious to the fact it's watered down, horrible bullshit.  I wonder what the artists think.  I'm still convinced the comments are spewed out by AI or the company themselves, it can't be real fans of this stuff so putrid compared to what it used to be.

It's astounding guys like Magnus Karlsson are still contracted putting out records with them that still has credibility and are able to write decent music, but I think for those few left it would be a, 'meh, I'm getting paid to cycle some new songs out, so whatever.'

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #2701 on: May 14, 2024, 09:35:59 PM »
What would be considered the best 5 or so albums from the Frontiers "golden age"?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2702 on: May 14, 2024, 10:13:20 PM »
The first Place Vendome album, for one.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2703 on: May 14, 2024, 10:23:01 PM »
Interesting question.  I'll do some looking back and have a think.

I agree with Tim though, that first PV album is incredible.  The other one that's a lock is Allen/Lande - The Battle.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #2704 on: May 15, 2024, 07:35:24 AM »
Thanks for having me, Kade.

It was pretty fun and I'm genuinely surprised and pleased by the way I fared.

I am happy if I have managed to point a couple of cozy taverns on your musical journey's highway.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2705 on: May 19, 2024, 01:07:53 AM »
Glad to have redeemed myself with those final two submissions.  If not for the stubbed toe with EVH, I may have been contending for the podium.

Interesting question.  I'll do some looking back and have a think.

I agree with Tim though, that first PV album is incredible.  The other one that's a lock is Allen/Lande - The Battle.

Was Mercury’s Down in Frontiers?  Hardline / Leaving The End Open?  Those two are a couple of gems.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2706 on: May 19, 2024, 05:33:18 AM »
Yeah, Mercury's Down I did think of too.  Probably could make the cut.  I might do some looking back tomorrow.

Oh, The Magnificent.  That could be four right there.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2707 on: May 22, 2024, 07:58:43 PM »
Round 1 listening update;

So I decided to just pick albums from each round and listen and go through round by round as opposed to randomly picking albums from across the whole roulette.  I have listened to a fair few albums from where the round 1 songs came from.  I'm not going to do every album, but I'll do as many as I feel fit depending if I enjoyed the song or found it interesting enough to explore.  This is what I've checked from round 1.  Not sure if I'll check any more of round 1 yet or move on, we'll see;

Crow - Astolat - The Winning Tragedy

Sisyphus was the first song of the roulette I listened to and it definitely hooked me right away so I was looking forward to checking this album out.  The only album from this duo and a couple of EP's so hopefully they have a follow up at some stage.  Anyway, this album is brilliant and such a journey.  It's very long but something that you can simply fall into and just enjoy it from beginning to end.  Lots of variety and plenty of wonderful sounds and atmosphere's throughout the entire album.  I would have liked and expected a little more harsh vocals but the variation in everything is fine and does enough to really keep me interested.  So despite me also expecting a little more heaviness based on Sisyphus, once I got into it, it really didn't matter.  I've listened to this about 3 or 4 times now and really enjoy the trip each time.  You can tell just by the sound and structure of the whole album it's a concept album too and I really should try and track down the lyrics as I'm intrigued about the story.  Wonderful album, wonderful submission.  Can see it being in rotation for a while.

Sacul - Obsidian Kingdom - Mantiis

Another song that caught my ear right away.  The structure of Last of the Light was so interesting to me I knew I'd be all over this one, and it doesn't disappoint.  Another concept album and again, this is one to put on and the single track structure allows you to just get lost in the journey.  I don't buy the single song broken into fourteen parts thing, but I do find a lot of the transitions seamless and again, it's hard to know where you're up to, which is a good thing.  This definitely fits the bill of wanting to find something different and unique.  There was enough heaviness throughout too that really complemented the quieter sections and the harsh vocals I love, along with the heavy elements.  Again, another I'll have to follow the lyrics along with as it's a unique piece that I'm really enjoying sinking my teeth into.  The variation of styles and the way it's all structured is just so interesting, and makes the whole thing fly by.  Just a wonderful atmosphere and a unique piece of art.  Love it and again will be in rotation quite a bit.

Stadler - U.K. - Self titled

This was another I was keen to check because of Holdsworth.  A refreshing sound and actually while sounding dated at times sounds ahead of its time at the same time.  Love the way it all breathes and the production and atmosphere really really allows that.  This was all round an interesting and entertaining piece of prog fusion and I loved all of it.  It was great hearing Holdsworth in more of this more mainstream light as opposed to his out there solo work.  I loved that In the Dead of the Night Reprise on track 3, that was cool.  Shoutout to that incredible solo section in Nevermore, holy shit what a brilliant piece.  I need to listen to this more but definitely something different I'm interested in.  As I mentioned, I think a lot of what I look for these days in the genres I know leaves me a little flat but this is definitely something different I'm looking to check out more of.  Very creative and wonderfully technical music with a great soundscape.

Evermind - Hamfred - Evst

Another very cool tune that was up there in round 1.  The heavier doom thing is definitely something I've gravitated towards a little more too.  Just love the darker tones and feel.  This was very bleak in tone and pretty samey throughout but I liked most of this here.  The vocals were pretty rough and I'm actually surprised you dig these guys with these harsh vocals, but I guess the cleans really quite outweight the growls really.  I need more spins of it and will go back to it but this was quite warm and comforting even if it was hard to get around at times.  I think the track you sent me was the standout but again, I'll need to go back and dive into it again, but it has my attention as does the band and their rest of their work.

TAC - Allegaeon - Fragments of Form and Function

After a somewhat lukewarm response to the song you sent, I wanted to have a crack at this one and I surprisingly enjoyed the hell out of it.  Very cool sounding technical death metal with stunning guitar work.  Even though everything here is pretty standard for the genre and I've heard it all before, I really liked this whole album.  The vocals too I found were excellent and didn't really get boring which surprised me.  Sounded a little fresh too so, I only had the one listen but a good place to start working through this band and their albums I think.

Litho - The Offering - Home

After really liking Ultraviolence I dived into this album but to be honest, I struggled to get through it.  It was all too samey and I think you certainly picked the best song out of this batch.  There's nothing bad about it, I just didn't really find much else here very interesting at all, which surprised me given how much I enjoyed Ultraviolence.  The band seems a bit one dimensional to me, on this album anyway.  Probably something I'll have to cross off the list unfortunately.

ariich - Euphoreon - Self titled

You know, for a debut, this is pretty damn impressive.  There is NOTHING new here at all but this is probably as classy as the follow up.  Maybe not as melodically interesting but 45 minutes of no bullshit metal with great performances and really nice harsh vocals.  Can't pinpoint a song here, you may have sent the best I'm not sure but like the Allegeon, I was surprised how much I dug listening to this.  I knew what I was getting, and really, it's done well enough that that was completely fine with me.  Very nice and will make me revisit the second album too which got plenty of spins when Tim pimped it years ago.  Hopefully the band is still active and we get something else from them in the future, I'd be all over that.

Lonk - Black Anvil - Time Insults the Mind

Now, this is 35 minutes again of no bullshit straight up metal with a nice mix of styles. Black metal with some stoner High on Fire vibes which was very nice. What I received in your track was what I got throughout and it was dependable the whole way through.  For a debut, pretty damn good.  The production is a little muddy but that's nothing.  Cool vocals and lots of groovy shit going on here.  Not much else to say, enjoy this whole 35 minutes and pretty keen to see where else this band go from here.  Again, I gotta say, there's some thunderous riffing here.

Puppies - Farsot - IIII

First thing I noticed here was the clear production.  It seemed quite different to your normal sounding black metal but it was refreshing to me to hear the style in this more crystal modern sound.  Not much to say here, this is pretty pure straight up black metal.  There was nothing here I really disliked and I think the 42 minute length of the album complimented if perfectly.  Plus only really being 4 tracks made it easier to swallow too.  The vocals are pretty rough and again pretty full on at times but I can handle them.  I did find it interesting that while it's pure black metal, it still had touches of other metal and still had quite a bit of groove with some nice jazzy Opeth like sections in there too.  The 20 minute closer was an excellent journey.  Cool, interesting band.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
y'know i hadn't considered that i don't think the lyrics to the astolat album are online anywhere but i do have a physical copy w/ a lyrics booklet so i should probably try to transcribe them sometime (or at least put up scans of the lyrics booklet, ahah)

it's a very cool album tho! not even my usual fare in metal but i found myself particularly compelled by it

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
y'know i hadn't considered that i don't think the lyrics to the astolat album are online anywhere but i do have a physical copy w/ a lyrics booklet so i should probably try to transcribe them sometime (or at least put up scans of the lyrics booklet, ahah)

it's a very cool album tho! not even my usual fare in metal but i found myself particularly compelled by it

Don't stress too much about that mate.  Yeah, I just had a quick look and couldn't find anything, but I'll keep looking.  If I want them that much, I'll try and order the CD.

Yeah, it's very compelling, that's a great word for it.  I thought everything about it was simply fantastic and find myself wanting to go back and listen to it.  Wonderful piece on a whole.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
You will probably find more to like with Farsot, especially their most recent album Life Promised Death which adds some progressive metal and some folk stylings to their sound.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
You will probably find more to like with Farsot, especially their most recent album Life Promised Death which adds some progressive metal and some folk stylings to their sound.

Damn, that sounds really interesting indeed.

After checking out roulette song specific albums and posting my thoughts, my do more of a deep dive on a select few.  Sounds like fun.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
The vocals were pretty rough and I'm actually surprised you dig these guys with these harsh vocals, but I guess the cleans really quite outweight the growls really.

Yeah, their clean vocals is a huge draw for me. And I sent the best track for sure, ariich said so back in the thread somewhere.  :)
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, their clean vocals is a huge draw for me. And I sent the best track for sure, ariich said so back in the thread somewhere.  :)

I just played through the album again now actually.  Damn that's some gloomy shit.  Enjoyed it.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Nice, yeah that's a great album and a very cool balance of many different sounds. Glad you liked it, also curious to see if you'll give Deftones a chance in the next update :P

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Litho - The Offering - Home

After really liking Ultraviolence I dived into this album but to be honest, I struggled to get through it.  It was all too samey and I think you certainly picked the best song out of this batch.  There's nothing bad about it, I just didn't really find much else here very interesting at all, which surprised me given how much I enjoyed Ultraviolence.  The band seems a bit one dimensional to me, on this album anyway.  Probably something I'll have to cross off the list unfortunately.

Hmm, shame this didn't go well.  I don't get how it comes across as one-dimensional, given how they draw from elements of a bunch of different metal subgenres, and the vocals are extremely varied, but oh well.  Their latest album adds in even more modern elements, though I don't know how they'll sit with you.  If you ever get in the mood to give them another shot, there's also the self-titled EP, released before the debut album.  It might be more consistent than the album actually, and it has one of my favorite rhythm guitar tones in quite some time. 

Maybe in one of the later batches if you get to them we'll have the opposite result. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Hmm, shame this didn't go well.  I don't get how it comes across as one-dimensional, given how they draw from elements of a bunch of different metal subgenres, and the vocals are extremely varied, but oh well.  Their latest album adds in even more modern elements, though I don't know how they'll sit with you.  If you ever get in the mood to give them another shot, there's also the self-titled EP, released before the debut album.  It might be more consistent than the album actually, and it has one of my favorite rhythm guitar tones in quite some time. 

Maybe in one of the later batches if you get to them we'll have the opposite result.

I think that's just it.  Each song was just too similar to each other and nothing besides the song you sent stuck out.  Maybe one dimensional was the wrong term, but it's interesting that when they throw so many different elements in a pot, the final product still came out a bit bland for my tastes.  I'll definitely go back and check that out though or even give Home another shot.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Nice, yeah that's a great album and a very cool balance of many different sounds. Glad you liked it, also curious to see if you'll give Deftones a chance in the next update :P

I'm actually going through a couple more round 1 albums so good chance I'll cover a large portion of albums from each round over the coming weeks.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
A couple more for round 1;

Indi - Matteo Mancuso - The Journey

From the offset I was taken aback in just how more laid back and jazzy this was on the first few tunes compared to Drop D.  This kid certainly has talents and seems to mix a bit of jazz fusion with Satriani like phrasing and lead lines.  It's not over the top Holdworth or Guthrie like but just pleasant tasteful guitar playing and enough to be enjoyable.  This is kind of like entry level jazz if that makes sense but not in a bad or disrespectful way.  It's a great crossover where it sounds like you're getting playing like Johnson, Timmons or Satriani like but starting to delve into the Gambale, Holdsworth or Garsed realm without alienating the listener too much.  That probably doesn't make sense but I know what I mean.  Basically, I think I'm becoming a little bit bored with the whole metal guitar thing and this is definitely something different that I can dig and listen to for a decent period of time.  I would have liked a little more in the vein of Drop D, but that's my roots coming out in me.

Jingle - Silent Skies - Satellites

Oof.....this was a tough one.  I love Tom Englund.  He's one of my favourite singers and guitarists for that matter and I LOVE his voice.  To sit through an hour of him with just a piano was both a slog yet at the same time an absolute pleasure.  This felt longer than 55 minutes to be truthful but I actually didn't mind as much as I thought I would have.  I knew before I clicked play that this wasn't Evergrey.  I didn't really take notice of the lyrics, just let it play in the background and honestly, I loved the mood and vibe it gave off, maybe a dive into the lyrics is needed too.  Probably not the best for a sunny Friday morning listen but this seems like an album that would be wonderful to sit on the porch at night with a quiet drink in the dark watching the stars or even a driving at 2am kind of album.  I know why you dig this, it has that vibe that when you're in a bit of a low of depressive state, this feels comforting and re-enforces those feelings in a positive way which we all use music for so much.  Some of the melodies were great and the majority of it being in that melancholy minor key obviously appeals to me so this was surprisingly comforting and enjoyable.  Not something I'd reach for often but definitely hits a spot.  I do think it would have been more impactful being 10-15 minutes shorter as I started drifting towards the end.

lonestar - kokeshi - reikoku

Ooof......now this one was more of a slog to get through.  Man, these vocals are just relentless.  I still don't understand the point of them.  I know that can be said about any form of harsh vocals given one tastes but these are just too hard for me to grasp.  The musicianship was pretty good and some interesting melodies here and there but I struggled for most of this.  However, my ears did prick a little on Into My Darkness.  That had a great vibe and some variation with the rest of what had come before it with some really interesting sections and melodies.  I feel there should have been a little more of this throughout.  The Sun Shines was pretty cool too actually.  It did go back into that relentless metalcore kinda vibe but this also had some cool sections.  Probably not a bad I'll revisit but an interesting listen and a very good finish to the album.  If they had a little more variation like the last two songs, I'd be more interested.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Totally spot on with Satellites. It’s something I’ve not often in the mood for, but hits the spot when I am.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Totally spot on with Satellites. It’s something I’ve not often in the mood for, but hits the spot when I am.

I get it.  :tup

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Oh, no Astronoid? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Oh, no Astronoid? :lol

Fuck.....do I have to?  :lol

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2723 on: May 24, 2024, 06:12:47 AM »
Round 1 listening update;
Lonk - Black Anvil - Time Insults the Mind

Now, this is 35 minutes again of no bullshit straight up metal with a nice mix of styles. Black metal with some stoner High on Fire vibes which was very nice. What I received in your track was what I got throughout and it was dependable the whole way through.  For a debut, pretty damn good.  The production is a little muddy but that's nothing.  Cool vocals and lots of groovy shit going on here.  Not much else to say, enjoy this whole 35 minutes and pretty keen to see where else this band go from here.  Again, I gotta say, there's some thunderous riffing here.

Future albums offer more variety, and production improves. Glad you enjoyed it though.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online twosuitsluke

Fuck.....do I have to?  :lol

Nah, save it for the albums you might actually like! That being said, I love that Astronoid record!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Round 2 album listening;

Okay, I've started on a few albums for round 2.  Here's some thoughts.

Crow - Wilderun - Sleep At the Edge of the Earth

I had tried this band a couple of times in the past before this roulette and they just didn't do anything for me at all.  Garden of Fire really grew on me and I definitely wanted to check the album out.  This was quite a trip.  Something obviously clicked a little more with that submission.  The mix of styles here is really really nice.  The heaviness is great and I love the growls but I've warmed to the clean vocals too.  I can see how these might have been a problem in the first instance but they work and intertwine with so many great melodies and a lush soundscape it feel like your running through a magical forest at dawn, or some shit like that.  I really dug the whole quieter middle bit too.  A lot of Opeth vibes here and again great atmosphere.  So yeah, I think you've won me over and I'm looking forward to spinning this one again, it was an excellent trip.

Jingle - Damnations Day - A World Awakens

So straight off the bat, this is nice and heavy.  I get strong Alter Bridge vibes here, like really strong, almost distracting.  This dude has pipes though, but I already said that.  To be fair, there's not a lot of variety here.  It's a pretty safe sound throughout, although very strong.  I feel it has hooks but not real strong hooks, maybe lacks a little character or personality?  maybe the songs all sounding a little too similar is what I'm hearing here.  I still enjoyed the whole thing though, some songs more than others.  That combo of Into Black/To Begin Again as you say is indeed epic as fuck.  I feel the album gets stronger as it goes along too.  I think it's very professional sounding and it's a wonder why these guys didn't do anything else after this.  While this is a great album, not sure if the familiarity of the sound will make it stick long term.  Will have to spin the first album too though I think.

Litho - Bloodshot Dawn - Demons

So, there is nothing new here at all.  This is melodic death metal which verges into technical metal vibes at times I feel too.  But this was tasty as fuck.  While I'm not discovering a new style of music, this was brutal and very enjoyable.  Quite heavy and the vocals are very harsh at times also bordering slightly more straight death metal, but that's certainly not a problem for me.  The guitar playing is top notch.  Again, pretty standard for the genre, but these dudes can obviously shred.  This kept my interest throughout though, despite everything being pretty similar.  There was enough edge and melodic playing along with the extreme vocal sections that kept me nodding my head.  Can see why they wanted Per Nilsson involved, a lot of his influence and some strong Holographic Universe moments in there too.  Keen to check out more from them, cool shit.

Puppies - Manticora - To Live To Kill To Live

I was hyped up for this one.  After Katana it really seemed like an album that could have had that prog metal side that I was started to tire of but mix it with some aggression to get me interested.  Unfortunately, I struggled with this.  Most of the album seems like more symphonic kinda power prog metal or something?  Not sure, I've tried this twice now, but I grew bored both times through it.  I'd probably need to sit with it and the lyrics or something to try and get it to crack cause I like the reprises throughout but not sure why it's not sticking.  I guess the rest for me doesn't live up to Katana and it ventures back into that generic prog metal type of feel.  I'll try again down the track because I'm sure there's a lot here I should be liking, it's just not sticking right now.

TAC - Autonoesis - Moon of Foul Magics

How can something like this be so easy listening?  Because that's what it fucking is.  This fucker ripped from start to finish.  Riff after riff with a great black metal style yet with many Metalica like old school thrash style riffing going on.  And many moments of groove that make you stop and go, 'woah' in typical Butthead like fashion.  The change in tempos and grooves during sections also works really well and not jarring at all.  The vocals are fine, I like them and they do their job.  Pure black metal vocals but along with the production really capture the essence of the style here and brings everything together.  The lead guitar in parts is also very tasty.  I love how at times the guitars just take the lead on their own going into their own sections and exploring and building in its own right.  So many amazing neoclassical moments too.  Such a great contrast with the vocal and riffing sections.  The few quiet bits add to the mood and along with some beautiful acoustics at times too.  like the intro of Black Wings is amazing.  These sections are placed perfectly within the album too.  Nihility, Endless Winter was fucking monstrous, I loved that one.  All in all, this is a great discovery.  I was surprised also the album was 66 mintues long, didn't feel anywhere near that.  Beautiful melodic black metal.

There's a few more I want to listen to but probably will update next week as I won't get as much listening done the rest of this week.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Sounds like I need to have a go at that Manticora album.

Don't have too high expectations with the DD debut album (Invisible, The Dead). It’s of the same vein as A World Awakens.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
if what you've heard from wilderun is their more recent output that's probably why, i don't feel particularly strongly about anything they've put out before or after this one album :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Litho - Bloodshot Dawn - Demons

So, there is nothing new here at all.  This is melodic death metal which verges into technical metal vibes at times I feel too.  But this was tasty as fuck.  While I'm not discovering a new style of music, this was brutal and very enjoyable.  Quite heavy and the vocals are very harsh at times also bordering slightly more straight death metal, but that's certainly not a problem for me.  The guitar playing is top notch.  Again, pretty standard for the genre, but these dudes can obviously shred.  This kept my interest throughout though, despite everything being pretty similar.  There was enough edge and melodic playing along with the extreme vocal sections that kept me nodding my head.  Can see why they wanted Per Nilsson involved, a lot of his influence and some strong Holographic Universe moments in there too.  Keen to check out more from them, cool shit.

Aha, so definitely a bit better result than the first round of exploration.  Ben Ellis certainly sounds like he was heavily inspired by Per's work, though with a somewhat more mechanical style I'd say.  They obviously hit it off working on that track, with Per having Ben join Scar Symmetry for the last album.  They're almost a bit too similar, I had difficulty telling them apart on some solos. 

Sounds like I need to have a go at that Manticora album.

It'll be kind of hilarious that Puppies and I recommending it to you didn't quite work, but Kade slagging it does.  :lol
« Last Edit: May 27, 2024, 09:39:09 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Online twosuitsluke

I agree with everything you said about Autonoesis. That album is probably the best discovery from my last roulette.