Author Topic: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY  (Read 132571 times)

ne9149, efx and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Re: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY
« Reply #2520 on: December 20, 2023, 11:17:00 AM »
On this subject matter, I do feel that DT's going to go bigger on their next tour because of Mike Portnoy's return. I can totally see them playing slightly bigger venues and even arenas, in some cases, and having Portnoy behind the kit will definitely be a key on having a revamped experience.

Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2521 on: December 20, 2023, 11:20:42 AM »
On this subject matter, I do feel that DT's going to go bigger on their next tour because of Mike Portnoy's return. I can totally see them playing slightly bigger venues and even arenas, in some cases, and having Portnoy behind the kit will definitely be a key on having a revamped experience.

I kind of doubt it in the US. They’re not about to jump levels.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2522 on: December 20, 2023, 11:44:38 AM »

Yeah, arenas are not happening in the US as a headline act.  But I do expect them to play same or similar venues and for it to be a much hotter ticket next time around. 

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2523 on: December 20, 2023, 12:56:21 PM »

Yeah, arenas are not happening in the US as a headline act.  But I do expect them to play same or similar venues and for it to be a much hotter ticket next time around.

Yep. It'll just mean they'll sell out or come close to selling out these 4-6k seat venues they play at. The Fox Theater they've played at the last three or four times they've come through St. Louis is a 4,500 seat venue.....of which has been at best 75% full.....last show I saw them there with it was maybe 50 or 60% full.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2524 on: December 20, 2023, 02:03:01 PM »
I also expect these shows to be priced quite highly as well.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2525 on: December 20, 2023, 02:03:55 PM »

In a general sense that everything is high these days.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2526 on: December 20, 2023, 02:08:22 PM »

Basically. Unless they play venues that are not theaters or amphitheaters, I don't suspect the prices to drop anytime soon.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2527 on: December 20, 2023, 02:12:00 PM »

Basically. Unless they play venues that are not theaters or amphitheaters, I don't suspect the prices to drop anytime soon.

I can't see them playing anywhere different than they have. Like I said earlier, they've played the same venues pre and post the MP split.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2528 on: December 20, 2023, 02:44:37 PM »

Yeah, every year concert tickets get a bit more expensive and DT have already been on the more expensive side. 

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #2529 on: December 20, 2023, 03:04:44 PM »

Yeah, every year concert tickets get a bit more expensive and DT have already been on the more expensive side.

And worth it!

As for seated vs standing, I agree that seats don't mean you need to actually sit (we never do), but what they do mean is that your place is secured from the time of purchase. If you bought eighth row center, you'll be in eighth row center. No hassle of having to get there at 6am (I exaggerate, for emphasis) to secure your place near the stage. Just have a fast connection and click fast on ticket day.
"Whether by your will or not, there is no ship now that can bear me hence." ~ Arwen, Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2530 on: December 20, 2023, 03:09:57 PM »
As for seated vs standing, I agree that seats don't mean you need to actually sit (we never do), but what they do mean is that your place is secured from the time of purchase. If you bought eighth row center, you'll be in eighth row center. No hassle of having to get there at 6am (I exaggerate, for emphasis) to secure your place near the stage. Just have a fast connection and click fast on ticket day.

Yeah, if people actually stood, I would love that.  But they don't at the shows in my area (and a lot of other shows I've seen clips of).  That isn't the case for other bands I have seen that play theaters with seats, and the crowd stands (Queensryche, for example).  But for DT, it is, and I HATE it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #2531 on: December 20, 2023, 03:10:34 PM »
i prefer a venue which has both. standing in front of the stage, and seats going up behind that area. I'm getting older and i enjoy the show much better when my back or knees aren't hurting..

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2532 on: December 20, 2023, 03:12:25 PM »
i prefer a venue which has both. standing in front of the stage, and seats going up behind that area. I'm getting older and i enjoy the show much better when my back or knees aren't hurting..

Yeah, exactly.  Have the seated option for those that want it, but have the standing area as well. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #2533 on: December 20, 2023, 04:55:46 PM »

Yeah, if people actually stood, I would love that.  But they don't at the shows in my area (and a lot of other shows I've seen clips of).  That isn't the case for other bands I have seen that play theaters with seats, and the crowd stands (Queensryche, for example).  But for DT, it is, and I HATE it.

I hate it also. I have just stood, and if they are mad behind me, ok. I have grown to really love GA. I was on my feet for 12 hours for Metallica last summer ( I am nearing ahem..60 now). And it was totally worth being waaay close and being crippled and grumpy on the way back to the hotel. I went to a venue for Dreamsonic in Denver that was all GA, save a few sidewall balcony seats. It was So Fun! My hubby hears how much fun I am having, and decided to go to Megadeth with me. And he hopped in the mosh pit lol! When I go to a concert with my 6'5"son, and the pits break out, he is my bodyguard, I am laughing all the time. :rollin
Sitting is for plays, and the Symphony.
The energy in a concert is a 2-way thing. Fans and the band. The fans can't have it both ways, sit and expect high energy in return from the band. At least, that is the way I see it.  :metal

Offline gborland

« Reply #2534 on: December 20, 2023, 05:26:31 PM »
I get that people can stand if they want to, even where there are seats.

This has sadly not been the case on recent UK tours. It has been heartbreaking to see some enthusiastic fans stand up to try and get some energy going, only to be pounced on by security or moaned at by boring old farts in the rows behind. Totally killed the energy of the shows for me and the others who wanted to rock out.
Graham Borland

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2535 on: December 20, 2023, 11:56:26 PM »
I agree it affects the energy but... yeah, here we go again... it's nice to be able to see over people who are 6'5 (or even 6') like geeeemo's son. It's absurd that my ticket costs the same as everyone else's and yet I often can't see shit at 5'7.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline emtee

« Reply #2536 on: December 21, 2023, 05:52:04 AM »
As we close out 2023 and move into 2024, I feel a sense of excitement about DT's new album that I haven't felt for many years. Whether or not we get it in 2024 is another question but at least I know they will be creating new music together.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #2537 on: December 21, 2023, 06:23:44 AM »
DT has done only seated venues near me, but people do stand. I am trying to think of places with the option to stand but a lot of those larger spaces closed down years ago. Realistically I think it has to be seating for venues near me for an act of DT's size.
Disclaimer: All opinions stated are my own unless otherwise specified. I don't personally know any present or former members of Dream Theater. From time to time where the context is obvious, I may state an opinion without clearly labeling every single part of it as such. I cannot predict the future.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2538 on: December 21, 2023, 06:34:51 AM »
anyone thought of the christmas special this year? I mean, with MP back in the band there's no way there won't be a video or perhaps music right??
They haven't really had time together to iron out all of the particulars of how this thing is going to work, and you think they've taken time to arrange for a Christmas offering?

I highly doubt it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2539 on: December 21, 2023, 09:15:53 AM »
I agree it affects the energy but... yeah, here we go again... it's nice to be able to see over people who are 6'5 (or even 6') like geeeemo's son. It's absurd that my ticket costs the same as everyone else's and yet I often can't see shit at 5'7.

Yeah, exactly.  Have the seated option for those that want it, but have the standing area as well. 

And that's why I love the venues that have GA floor and balcony seating.  Best of both worlds.

I truly do feel bad for short people at GA shows.  I'm 5 foot 10, but still feel like I can hardly see anything in GA pit shows sometimes.  (depends on the show, metal shows always seem to bring out the tall people though, or the time I saw Kamelot in the Netherlands and literallye everyone is over 6 foot including the women  :lol)

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #2540 on: December 21, 2023, 09:34:48 AM »
anyone thought of the christmas special this year? I mean, with MP back in the band there's no way there won't be a video or perhaps music right??
They haven't really had time together to iron out all of the particulars of how this thing is going to work, and you think they've taken time to arrange for a Christmas offering?

I highly doubt it.

could be just a rarity MP has lying around, maybe do a tour of DTHQ? Something simple like that

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2541 on: December 21, 2023, 09:58:55 AM »

I highly doubt it.

could be just a rarity MP has lying around, maybe do a tour of DTHQ? Something simple like that
Yeah, maybe.

But I doubt it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2542 on: December 21, 2023, 01:30:53 PM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2543 on: December 21, 2023, 01:43:08 PM »

Yeah but I pay the same price for a plane ticket and I literally can't move my legs unless I've got an aisle seat. I'm only 6' too. I can't imagine how much more terrible it would be if I were any taller

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2544 on: December 22, 2023, 12:18:58 AM »
For what it's worth, I can't move mine in economy, either :lol
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Rammstein

« Reply #2545 on: December 22, 2023, 09:15:27 AM »
For Christmas I would just love a zoom hangout with the guys, maybe answering some question and just talking about the past or something like that :D

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2546 on: December 22, 2023, 09:42:16 AM »
It would be cool to get something for Christmas and DT has done plenty of Christmas gifts/surprises for the fans before, but I'm honestly not expecting anything this year.  I think mostly because MP was pretty specific in saying that he has to finish his prior commitments before really rejoining the band in early 2024 which to me hints that he's not really going to do anything DT related until then.  I understand he could technically probably do both, but he just may not have had that in his plans and I dont blame him as he probably wants to enjoy the holiday down time.  Maybe the rest of the band has something cooked up and we'll see, but I'm not expecting anything and that's OK.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2547 on: December 22, 2023, 10:55:10 AM »
It would be cool to get something for Christmas and DT has done plenty of Christmas gifts/surprises for the fans before, but I'm honestly not expecting anything this year.  I think mostly because MP was pretty specific in saying that he has to finish his prior commitments before really rejoining the band in early 2024 which to me hints that he's not really going to do anything DT related until then.  I understand he could technically probably do both, but he just may not have had that in his plans and I dont blame him as he probably wants to enjoy the holiday down time.  Maybe the rest of the band has something cooked up and we'll see, but I'm not expecting anything and that's OK.

This is what I'm thinking as well. Maybe just maybe MP will feel the itch to do something again, specially considering it's the first Christmas for him back back with DT, but it seems like he's just focused on finishing all his previous commitments before shifting gears towards 100% DT. I'm not expecting the rest of the band to have something prepared for Christmas at all, tho.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #2548 on: December 22, 2023, 04:02:37 PM »
The BEST Christmas gift I could think of would be a REUNION TOUR ANNOUNCEMENT! :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2549 on: December 22, 2023, 04:04:21 PM »
The BEST Christmas gift I could think of would be a REUNION TOUR ANNOUNCEMENT! :metal

YES!!

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2550 on: December 28, 2023, 09:35:14 PM »
Mike Portnoy   and  https://www.facebook.com/groups/dreamtheaterworld  around 830pm

"As my debut Drumeo clip from last week performing Pull Me Under is creeping up on 1 Million views (!!!😳), Drumeo is following up with my next new clip TOMORROW which is a full ONE HOUR Drumeo Live special with host Brandon Toews where I perform 3 more classic DT songs in their entirety, as well as a Winery Dogs song…We also spend alot of time discussing the big reunion w DT, how it came about and what to expect in the future, as well as everything else happening in MP Land…you won’t want to miss this one! 🥁🤘  "
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2551 on: December 28, 2023, 09:36:38 PM »
Mike Portnoy   and  https://www.facebook.com/groups/dreamtheaterworld  around 830pm

"As my debut Drumeo clip from last week performing Pull Me Under is creeping up on 1 Million views (!!!😳), Drumeo is following up with my next new clip TOMORROW which is a full ONE HOUR Drumeo Live special with host Brandon Toews where I perform 3 more classic DT songs in their entirety, as well as a Winery Dogs song…We also spend alot of time discussing the big reunion w DT, how it came about and what to expect in the future, as well as everything else happening in MP Land…you won’t want to miss this one! 🥁🤘  "
Already being talked about here:
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=58824.msg3070014#msg3070014
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2552 on: December 29, 2023, 09:12:40 AM »
Sorry I didn't notice it in the then titled "Mike Portnoy: 6:00 on a Christmas Morning" thread.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2553 on: December 29, 2023, 11:04:14 AM »
I forgot Portnoy is playing with Umphrey's McGee. I can wait to see some videos of them jamming.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2554 on: December 29, 2023, 11:08:31 AM »
I forgot Portnoy is playing with Umphrey's McGee. I can wait to see some videos of them jamming.

It's going to be streamed live on nugs.net, you can sign up for a free week trial and watch it tonight.
Photobucket sucks.