Author Topic: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY  (Read 132011 times)

Offline HOF

Re: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY
« Reply #2415 on: December 15, 2023, 05:49:32 PM »
Edit: that was a dumb comment, nevermind.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2023, 06:51:33 PM by HOF »

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #2416 on: December 15, 2023, 07:42:33 PM »
I wonder why they had to drop Astonishing songs to fit the encore. Surely, The Astonishing in its entirety would have left room for more songs to be played since it is only like 2 hours and 10 minutes long?

I am really curious how the shortened version of The Astonishing flowed, though. Would have been very interesting seeing them end set 1 with A New Beginning.

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #2417 on: December 15, 2023, 08:12:51 PM »
I am really curious how the shortened version of The Astonishing flowed, though. Would have been very interesting seeing them end set 1 with A New Beginning.

Flowed fine for me. I did miss "Heaven's Cove" but ending the first set with "A New Beginning" was more climactic.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2418 on: December 15, 2023, 08:54:50 PM »
The Astonishing ... is only like 2 hours and 10 minutes long

Not often I read someone say The Astonishing is only 2 hours and 10 minutes long  :)
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2419 on: December 15, 2023, 09:48:35 PM »
I think I'll ask them to play The Astonishing when I'm about to expire. At least that way my last two hours will feel longer :coolio
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2420 on: December 15, 2023, 11:06:35 PM »
The Astonishing ... is only like 2 hours and 10 minutes long

Not often I read someone say The Astonishing is only 2 hours and 10 minutes long  :)

:lol
I think I'll ask them to play The Astonishing when I'm about to expire. At least that way my last two hours will feel longer :coolio
:rollin

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #2421 on: December 16, 2023, 05:08:36 AM »

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2422 on: December 16, 2023, 11:25:04 AM »

I would just die as soon as Act Of Faythe starts.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2423 on: December 16, 2023, 12:58:00 PM »

I would just die as soon as Act Of Faythe starts.

It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #2424 on: December 16, 2023, 01:05:08 PM »
So much hate.   :eek :\ ??? :(
"Whether by your will or not, there is no ship now that can bear me hence." ~ Arwen, Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2425 on: December 16, 2023, 01:58:29 PM »
I was only having a chuckle... no fucking way I'm listening to The Astonishing on my death bed :biggrin:

(PS - "So much hate", says the lady who's done nothing but be negative about MP's return to the band :lol)
Paul
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2426 on: December 16, 2023, 02:01:29 PM »
So much hate.   :eek :\ ??? :(

Probably best you not be around when I do my full listening session of it next week.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2427 on: December 16, 2023, 02:06:01 PM »
OOoh, is that happening? Jesting aside, I think I'll enjoy following along with that.

For the record, I don't think The Astonishing is that bad an album. A couple of tracks have even made my top 100. But let's be honest: a) it lacks diversity, b) it would have been 700x better with guest vocalists, c) 1032x better with a less-hackneyed story, and d) it should never have been a Dream Theater album (and back to point b).
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #2428 on: December 16, 2023, 02:32:20 PM »
I was only having a chuckle... no fucking way I'm listening to The Astonishing on my death bed :biggrin:

(PS - "So much hate", says the lady who's done nothing but be negative about MP's return to the band :lol)

I was just shaking my head in bewilderment as to why everyone hates the album so much. And not just here. Nothing personal!

I said I'd try to get used to MP and I meant it, lol.

(The way most children get used to Brussels sprouts   :rollin j/k!)
"Whether by your will or not, there is no ship now that can bear me hence." ~ Arwen, Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #2429 on: December 16, 2023, 03:08:00 PM »
OOoh, is that happening? Jesting aside, I think I'll enjoy following along with that.

For the record, I don't think The Astonishing is that bad an album. A couple of tracks have even made my top 100. But let's be honest: a) it lacks diversity, b) it would have been 700x better with guest vocalists, c) 1032x better with a less-hackneyed story, and d) it should never have been a Dream Theater album (and back to point b).

That's a strange criticism. TA is one of the band's most diverse albums.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2430 on: December 16, 2023, 03:31:16 PM »
The lack of variety in Astonishing is definitely what kills it for me. There are a couple moments here and there like Three Days and X Aspect, but overall it all sounds pretty homogenous. Much less variety than other DT albums.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2431 on: December 16, 2023, 03:48:56 PM »

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing. It's pretty much the most diverse album they have.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #2432 on: December 16, 2023, 03:49:58 PM »
At this point I'd say it's the most misunderstood album they have.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2433 on: December 16, 2023, 04:33:14 PM »

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing. It's pretty much the most diverse album they have.
I wouldn't disagree that there are certainly some diverse elements sprinkled throughout the album – moreso than on any other album – but as a whole a lot of the music tends to blur together and feel same-y. Perhaps if there were less piano-based ballads (or songs that started off as such) and there was a song (or multiple songs about conflict (and not just primarily conflict in dialogue - I mean battles and stuff) it might feel like it has more diversity.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2434 on: December 16, 2023, 05:05:12 PM »

I wouldn't disagree that there are certainly some diverse elements sprinkled throughout the album – moreso than on any other album – but as a whole a lot of the music tends to blur together and feel same-y. Perhaps if there were less piano-based ballads (or songs that started off as such) and there was a song (or multiple songs about conflict (and not just primarily conflict in dialogue - I mean battles and stuff) it might feel like it has more diversity.

So all that diversity runs together? :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #2435 on: December 16, 2023, 05:20:37 PM »

Totally. I'm genuinely shocked by the comments pointing out the lack of diversity on one of the band's most diverse albums.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2436 on: December 16, 2023, 05:25:41 PM »

No - I said it's sprinkled throughout, but in the process, it's gets lost because of all the piano-based ballad-y songs.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #2437 on: December 16, 2023, 05:48:04 PM »

No - I said it's sprinkled throughout, but in the process, it's gets lost because of all the piano-based ballad-y songs.

I'm sorry, but this is a simplistic analysis. If to your ears the various slow moments on the piano make everything sound the same, well that says more about your perception than about the music itself.

It seems like my late grandfather wouldn't know how to distinguish Iron Maiden from Muse, because for him everything would be "noisy music".  :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2438 on: December 16, 2023, 05:53:08 PM »
I'm sorry, but this is a simplistic analysis. If to your ears the various slow moments on the piano make everything sound the same, well that says more about your perception than about the music itself.
It's not just me saying that.  ;)

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #2439 on: December 16, 2023, 05:59:30 PM »

Many grandparents had the same opinion as mine too. ;)

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2440 on: December 16, 2023, 06:06:46 PM »

Yeah but grandparents aren't typically intimately familiar with Iron Maiden and Muse. DT fans *are* intimately familiar with DT's catalog.  :-*

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #2441 on: December 16, 2023, 06:17:20 PM »

Yeah but grandparents aren't typically intimately familiar with Iron Maiden and Muse. DT fans *are* intimately familiar with DT's catalog.  :-*

But not familiar with piano music, perhaps?  :lol

anyway....

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #2442 on: December 16, 2023, 06:58:15 PM »
Why can't we all just get along? [EDIT: I was being facetious here, but it didn't translate, so hence the neurotic edit. People can think what they want about the album, just thought of giving my two cents below]

As much as I love The Astonishing, I don't know how to make a case for it. It is a big ask -- I think the band tried their best to onboard the fans to what is arguably a freaky experience: equal parts Dream Theater album and cast recording of a broadway musical.

It is likely the most Jordan-esque of all their albums, even if JP wrote the story. I think the signs in their history that point to what they went for in this album have been there since SFAM -- take the start of Finally Free (and first verse), the whole structure of SDOIT (the track), particularly the Overture and Grand Finale, and The Astonishing ends up feeling like a culmination of that type of musical storytelling.

Not for everyone and, really, perhaps the least Portnoy-esque album in their career, in the sense that he might've (not saying for certain, just a hunch) said "no" to a lot of the ideas from the early stages. Or perhaps the antithesis of a song like "As I Am", if that makes sense.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2443 on: December 16, 2023, 08:55:56 PM »

When most songs are "Samey"  I wouldn't call it diverse.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2444 on: December 17, 2023, 01:21:36 AM »

When most songs are "Samey"  I wouldn't call it diverse.

Quite.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #2445 on: December 17, 2023, 05:05:43 AM »
Why can't we all just get along? [EDIT: I was being facetious here, but it didn't translate, so hence the neurotic edit. People can think what they want about the album, just thought of giving my two cents below]

As much as I love The Astonishing, I don't know how to make a case for it. It is a big ask -- I think the band tried their best to onboard the fans to what is arguably a freaky experience: equal parts Dream Theater album and cast recording of a broadway musical.

It is likely the most Jordan-esque of all their albums, even if JP wrote the story. I think the signs in their history that point to what they went for in this album have been there since SFAM -- take the start of Finally Free (and first verse), the whole structure of SDOIT (the track), particularly the Overture and Grand Finale, and The Astonishing ends up feeling like a culmination of that type of musical storytelling.

Not for everyone and, really, perhaps the least Portnoy-esque album in their career, in the sense that he might've (not saying for certain, just a hunch) said "no" to a lot of the ideas from the early stages. Or perhaps the antithesis of a song like "As I Am", if that makes sense.

But the discussion is about the album's diversity. It shouldn't be relevant whether we like the album or not when evaluating diversity.
It's not a question of "I like it, so it's diverse. I don't like it, so it's all the same."

For example: my favorite DT album is I&W, which is not a very diverse album (maybe the exception is Another Day). Octavarium is a much more varied album for the DT standard, but it's not one of my favorites.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #2446 on: December 17, 2023, 07:38:50 AM »
i read some speculation on the dt discord that said the only reason they asked MP back was because the new Haken album was so good it threatened DTs standing as de facto kings of prog metal
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2447 on: December 17, 2023, 07:47:15 AM »
pm me a link to this DT Discord, I'd like to spend the morning reading some insane DT conspiracy theories.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #2448 on: December 17, 2023, 08:22:51 AM »
i read some speculation on the dt discord that said the only reason they asked MP back was because the new Haken album was so good it threatened DTs standing as de facto kings of prog metal

What is a good Haken album to get a newcomer started?
Disclaimer: All opinions stated are my own unless otherwise specified. I don't personally know any present or former members of Dream Theater. From time to time where the context is obvious, I may state an opinion without clearly labeling every single part of it as such. I cannot predict the future.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2449 on: December 17, 2023, 08:49:27 AM »

What is a good Haken album to get a newcomer started?

The Mountain is their masterpiece. This is when they really found their own sound.

But if you want to start with something that sounds more like DT (but still amazing) start with Visions.

"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude