Author Topic: Rush studio albums countdown thread!!! (#01 revealed!!)  (Read 32138 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Re: Rush studio albums countdown thread!!! (#19 featured!)
« Reply #245 on: June 05, 2023, 11:39:29 AM »
I had RUSH at #18. I don't listen to it often, but there are a couple songs I really enjoy. Obviously, they hadn't found their "sound" yet, but "Working Man" remains a classic. For me, there is another album that I just don't find any enjoyment in, and I suspect while there will be some champions of it, I can't imagine it will get higher than #15. But for me, it is by far the "worst" Rush album. (Although none are truly "bad" obviously).
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Order at www.roadstomadness.com/book.html!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #246 on: June 05, 2023, 12:13:57 PM »
I don’t have my ranking handy, but I think I put it 14 or 15. The good songs are really good.  The bad songs aren’t their worst.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #247 on: June 05, 2023, 12:44:56 PM »
Criminy, I forgot to submit my list  :facepalm:. Following anyway. The debut is very different to the rest of the catalog but I still prefer it over a few others.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #248 on: June 05, 2023, 01:39:25 PM »
I had Rush at #9. I actually really like it. It has great character and charm.

9 Rush
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #249 on: June 05, 2023, 02:21:04 PM »
I absolutely love this album. I ranked it at #11.

When I first bought Moving Pictures, my buddy and I were completely floored by it. We were only 13 years old. So my buddy begged his mother for Rush albums. So they went and he found Rush and COS in the bargain bin for cheap and figured two was better than one. He had me over and we listened to both over and over again and completely loved them as well.  I have a lot of wonderful memories with those early albums. It was a time when I was just hearing Rush for the first time and falling in love with everything I heard.

I would put In the Mood near the bottom, but it’s still fun when I hear it. What You’re Doing is probably my #1 song with Working Man a close second. But Here Again and Before and After really don’t get enough attention.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline The Realm

« Reply #250 on: June 05, 2023, 03:05:42 PM »
Rush last? I am shocked! Number 12 for me. Has a ton of charm and honesty. A cool album for what it is.

Offline 425

« Reply #251 on: June 05, 2023, 05:36:55 PM »
I had this in last place because it's lacking a lot of the main elements I like about the band: Neil's drumming, intelligent lyrics, purposeful/well-structured compositions. It's not a bad album, but I'm not really interested in it except from a historical perspective.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #252 on: June 05, 2023, 06:30:32 PM »
Just commenting to follow and dig deeper into some Rush songs I don't know yet.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #253 on: June 05, 2023, 07:13:48 PM »
This album never did anything for me.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Rush studio albums countdown thread!!! (#18 featured!)
« Reply #254 on: June 06, 2023, 06:03:47 AM »
We move on...

18 Snakes & Arrows

Highest Finish: 2 (ReaperKK)
Lowest Finish: 19 (TAC, Dragon Attack)

I remember the online Rush fanbase being pretty high on this album when it was first released, and the band was right there with them, playing nine songs from it on the S&A tour and later played a 10th from it on the next tour.  I am not sure I would say it hasn't aged well so much that most of the others are just better.  I don't think the dry mix does it any favors, as the most rocking moments seem to lack oomph, but on the flip side, the acoustic/mellow moments mostly sound great.  I will say that I have long been in the camp of disagreeing with the band's high opinion of Far Cry.  I ranked it 15th, as it is still a nice listen from start to finish.

Favorite songs: Armor and Sword, The Larger Bowl, The Main Monkey Business, Workin' Them Angels, Bravest Face

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #255 on: June 06, 2023, 06:24:53 AM »
Not surprised but a real crime this album is ranked so low. Each song slays start to finish and it's one of the best sounding Rush albums:

6   Rush
2   Snakes & Arrows

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #256 on: June 06, 2023, 06:35:06 AM »
My #17. I like a lot the production, but sometimes it indeed lacks punch in heaviest parts. Often ignored, I also love Malignant Narcissism. In fact, that song and The Main Monkey Business are truly amazing and The Larger Bowl and The Way the Wind Blows I like a lot! But it's an album filled with too much just OK songs. I think it's still better than the first album, although that one has more consistency (and much less personality, as it's too much Cream/Led Zep inspired).
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #257 on: June 06, 2023, 06:38:16 AM »
Snakes & Arrows is way too high.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #258 on: June 06, 2023, 07:10:27 AM »
We move on...

18 Snakes & Arrows

01   ?
02   ?
03   ?
04   ?
05   ?
06   ?
07   ?
08   ?
09   ?
10   ?
11   ?
12   ?
13   ?
14   ?
15   ?
16   ?
17   Snakes & Arrows
18   ?
19   Rush

I'm surprised this was 18th, but also not. I feel like it's been largely forgotten these days and is the awkward middle child of their 21st century albums.

I became a Rush fan not long after VT came out so I was dying for their next album when ir was announced. I spun the HELL out of it and even learned "The Main Monkey Business" on drums just a week or two after release, listening intently to the song over and over.

I also watched the documentary many times as well as they hadn't really released anything like that before so it was super fascinating!

Sadly it has definitely slipped away from me in the last decade or so and I don't revisit it often, and definitely not as much as VT or CA.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #259 on: June 06, 2023, 07:24:48 AM »
Snakes & Arrows is way too high.
Hell, no.  Too low for sure.

I had this one at # 10.  Great songwriting and performance.

I wouldn't expect it to finish that high in this list, but I'm seriously shocked that it is 18th.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #260 on: June 06, 2023, 07:29:12 AM »
I had it in the bottom five, but never would I have thought it would have ended up second to last. It does have some great tracks, but one third of it is filler. That's what kind of brings it down. Not to mention it got completely overshadowed by Clockwork angels. #18 is still kind of harsh, though.

Offline HOF

« Reply #261 on: June 06, 2023, 07:31:13 AM »
SNA was 17th for me. I was enthusiastic when it came out. It was also the first new Rush album to be released after I became a fan. But it hasn’t held up at all, at least not in comparison to the rest of their catalog. Just really not their best collection of songs mostly, but I’m also not fond of the production.

There are some decent tunes here still. I like Far Cry well enough. Armor & Sword is a bit of a dirge, but I like the chorus and Neil’s drumming is cool on it. Could say the same for The Way The Wind Blows, Faithless, Good News First, and Bravest Face. Some cool moments, but everything on this album is a bit too slow paced and tuneless in general, and Geddy’s voice couldn’t really carry the songs anymore. Things like Workin’ Them Angels, The Larger Bowl, and Spindrift are just kind of joyless. Hope is alright, but three instrumentals here and none of them are especially memorable. We Hold On (nice nod, Kev) is a decent closer I think.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 08:26:45 AM by HOF »

Offline DTA

« Reply #262 on: June 06, 2023, 07:35:25 AM »
I had it 16. I think it would've benefited from a thinner tracklist. Maybe get rid of The Larger Bowl and Good News First as it becomes a bit of a slog to get through with so many mid-tempo songs. Armor & Sword, Monkey Business, The Way The Wind Blows, and We Hold On are all great tracks though and it's an improvement over VT for sure.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #263 on: June 06, 2023, 07:40:46 AM »
Just a couple of quick comments on the albums so far...

Had the debut at #19 (as many others, it seems)...it's actually a lovely album, I just don't go back to it often and, right or wrong, it suffers from the "I don't quite see it as a Rush album" syndrome, in my head at least. In some respect it's a bit unfair - it's not like the stylistic jump (especially from an instrumental standpoint) was gigantic between this and Fly By Night. But that's the way it is...

I have Snakes & Arrows pretty low myself, at #16. I do agree that the overall sound with the acoustic textures is nice, and at least in that regard it was a welcome change from Vapor Trails (although I like the latter better as an album). But while the whole thing is a pleasant listen, I find it lacks the big highlights that are typical of Rush albums (they sure were sneaky when they teased the Hemispheres chord with the first, pre-release snippet of Far Cry!). Songs I find the most enjoyable: Far Cry, Armor and Sword, The Way the Wind Blows, Good News First...and The Main Monkey Business is a pretty cool instrumental.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #264 on: June 06, 2023, 07:47:12 AM »
Rush: Too low. It's a solid 70s hard rock album.

S&A: Should be last. I think the first half of the album is really good. But I never need to hear the second half again.  That's a score of 50/100 at best.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #265 on: June 06, 2023, 08:07:00 AM »
We move on...

18 Snakes & Arrows

I had S&A at #11. A middle of the catalog record for me. I enjoy the songs quite a bit, I love the sound of the record. I feel Alex could have been soloing more in a traditional style, which would have edged the record up into the top-10 for me. I still listen to it fairly regularly (given the size of my music collection).
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Offline billboy73

« Reply #266 on: June 06, 2023, 08:50:22 AM »
I had Snakes & Arrows at 18 as well.  It just goes on too long, and has a few clunkers.  I don't revisit this album all that often, but there are some good songs here.  The Way the Wind Blows is my favorite track.  Far Cry, Mal Nar, Armor and Sword, Main Monkey, Bravest Face, and Good News First are all solid, with We Hold On being a good closer too.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #267 on: June 06, 2023, 09:18:05 AM »
18 Snakes & Arrows

I remember the online Rush fanbase being pretty high on this album when it was first released, and the band was right there with them, playing nine songs from it on the S&A tour and later played a 10th from it on the next tour.  I am not sure I would say it hasn't aged well so much that most of the others are just better.  I don't think the dry mix does it any favors, as the most rocking moments seem to lack oomph, but on the flip side, the acoustic/mellow moments mostly sound great.  I will say that I have long been in the camp of disagreeing with the band's high opinion of Far Cry.  I ranked it 15th, as it is still a nice listen from start to finish.

Favorite songs: Armor and Sword, The Larger Bowl, The Main Monkey Business, Workin' Them Angels, Bravest Face

I think I was more excited for this album before it was released than for any other Rush album.  There was all this talk about how the new producer was going to help them get back to the classic Rush sound.  Far Cry got released.  DAMN...that's heavy!  And they featured the Hemispheres chord!  And then we get Armor and Sword...that's great too!  Yeah!  And then it goes seriously downhill.  Angels is just ok.  Monkey Business is solid but nothing special.  The band got overly enamored with Angels.  Wind is ok.  Faithless to the end is just...zzzz.  I had it at #16.

19  ??
18  ??
17  ??
16  Snakes & Arrows (18)
15  ??
14  ??
13  ??
12  Rush (19)
11  ??
10  ??
9  ??
8  ??
7  ??
6  ??
5  ??
4  ??
3  ??
2  ??
1  ??
« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 11:45:40 AM by pg1067 »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline romdrums

« Reply #268 on: June 06, 2023, 09:42:38 AM »
Had the debut at 19, because, well, something had to go last.  Some solid tracks though.  Overall, just a different vibe from everything that came after.

Like a lot of others, Snakes and Arrows has slid down the list since it’s release.  I listened to it a lot when it came out, but I think I’ve listened to it like once in the last few years.   Lyrically, it’s one of Neil’s best, but it is kind of a slog to get through.  It needed more uptempo numbers.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline MrMike

« Reply #269 on: June 06, 2023, 09:56:45 AM »
I had RUSH at 13.  Overall, a bit on the generic side as far as mid 70s hard rock songs go and the lyrics are sketchy at best, but there are definitely a few strong tracks and Alex's playing was already off the charts.  Guitar is the instrument I listen for most in heavy music and Lifeson's tone and soloing are what I do love about the debut.  On many of the latter period Rush albums, I missed hearing Alex as frenetic and unrestrained as he was early on.

I had S&A at 14.  It has its moments and felt like a step back in the right direction at the time, but it's still never been among my favorites.  Working Them Angels is a standout and one that really grew on me over time.  Way The Wind Blows and Far Cry I loved from the beginning and the instrumentals are fun and rocking.  Too many slowish, dirgey (if that's a word) songs though, particularly in the second half of the album keep it in the lower rung of the catalog for me.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #270 on: June 06, 2023, 10:00:26 AM »
My number 19.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #271 on: June 06, 2023, 10:21:35 AM »
I doubt it'll ever happen, but remember that the band said TMMB started out as a super-long instrumental, like over 18 minutes? I'd love to hear the original demos of that piece if possible, even if the parts they cut or changed were boring. Just imagining them writing ANYTHING that long in the 21st century really excited me when I heard that about the writing of TMMB.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #272 on: June 06, 2023, 10:31:51 AM »
Shocked to see this so low. Didn't expect it to be in the top half overall, but man, how does this not even beat Vapor Trails from the modern era?

On that note, that was a tough one to rank, not sure if I should rank the original unlistenable version, or the later version which actually allowed me to finally enjoy many of the tunes.

But back to Snakes and Arrows, some of the singles and favorites like Armor and Sword and Workin Them Angels are actually not huge for me. But the instrumentals, Far Cry, and some of the other songs are great, and none of the songs are in the bottom 10 or so of Rush. Really expected this ahead of some others.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #273 on: June 06, 2023, 11:09:59 AM »
I had it at 16.  It's a good album. I just tend to play other albums more.  Armor & Sword, The Main Money Business & The Way the Wind Blows are my favorite tracks. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #274 on: June 06, 2023, 11:19:34 AM »
Shocked to see this so low. Didn't expect it to be in the top half overall, but man, how does this not even beat Vapor Trails from the modern era?

On that note, that was a tough one to rank, not sure if I should rank the original unlistenable version, or the later version which actually allowed me to finally enjoy many of the tunes.

But back to Snakes and Arrows, some of the singles and favorites like Armor and Sword and Workin Them Angels are actually not huge for me. But the instrumentals, Far Cry, and some of the other songs are great, and none of the songs are in the bottom 10 or so of Rush. Really expected this ahead of some others.

Actually, I consider VT a much better album, song-wise.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #275 on: June 06, 2023, 11:21:21 AM »
16  Rush
10 Snakes And Arrows

I knew pretty early on in the song countdown that I was way out of whack with the "Rush Zeitgeist" here, and this just hammers the point home.  I had S&A at 10, and it's BY FAR my favorite of what it seems we're calling "the modern era".   That this is 18 means that both Vapor Trails and Roll The Bones are higher than it.  Can't imagine thinking "Hmm, do I want to listen to S&A, or Roll The Bones?" and going "Roll The Bones it is!"   :)

And as for "too long" and a "slog", well, both Vapor Trails and A Clockwork Angels - both inferior albums by my reckoning - are significantly LONGER (4:25 and 3:14, respectively).

Favorite tunes:  all the instrumentals, The Way The Wind Blows, and The Larger Bowl.

Have I told anyone the story about the making of doc, and Neil's recording of "The Way The Wind Blows"?  :) :) :)

Offline HOF

« Reply #276 on: June 06, 2023, 11:41:06 AM »

Yep. VT has some of Neil’s best songwriting IMO, and the sound on Snakes and Arrows is really just a marginal improvement over VT (no noticeable clipping, but still a very loud album without a ton of dynamic range).

Offline pg1067

« Reply #277 on: June 06, 2023, 11:44:47 AM »

Same.  I have VT MANY spots ahead of S&A, and I have five S&A songs in the bottom 25 of my Rush song rankings.  Only one from VT is in that bottom group.

That this is 18 means that both Vapor Trails and Roll The Bones are higher than it.  Can't imagine thinking "Hmm, do I want to listen to S&A, or Roll The Bones?" and going "Roll The Bones it is!"   :)

I assume/hope RTB will be showing up VERY soon.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #278 on: June 06, 2023, 11:46:09 AM »
When VT came out, it sounded so bad, I couldn't finish it.  Easily my lowest-ranked album, not even close.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline HOF

« Reply #279 on: June 06, 2023, 11:47:14 AM »
Can't imagine thinking "Hmm, do I want to listen to S&A, or Roll The Bones?" and going "Roll The Bones it is!"   :)

And as for "too long" and a "slog", well, both Vapor Trails and A Clockwork Angels - both inferior albums by my reckoning - are significantly LONGER (4:25 and 3:14, respectively).

That’s the thing with SNA. It’s not really bad per se. But I almost never listen to it. Just not one that I have any real excitement for. Roll the Bones, for all it’s faults, still has several classic/essential Rush songs that I frequently revisit. There’s just no one song on Snakes and Arrows that holds that appeal for me.

Also, even though I love it as a whole, I agree that Vapor Trails could do with some editing. I think most of the CD era Rush albums could have played better trimmed down to 45, 50 minutes max.