Author Topic: Rush studio albums countdown thread!!! (#01 revealed!!)  (Read 33252 times)

Offline Kram

Re: Rush studio albums countdown thread!!! (#18 featured!)
« Reply #315 on: June 06, 2023, 03:22:18 PM »
I was just listening to Snakes and Arrows this morning and was really enjoying it.  That said, I had it at 14.

19. Rush
14. Snakes & Arrows
« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 03:36:12 PM by Kram »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Rush studio albums countdown thread!!! (#19 featured!)
« Reply #316 on: June 06, 2023, 03:27:41 PM »
   The best thing about the tour was that only 5 of the 20+ songs were from RTB, and one was the instrumental (on the other hand, they never played the best song from the album).

Actually, if you saw the first 5-6 weeks of the Roll the Bones tour, you only got four songs from it as Ghost of a Chance wasn't played early in the tour, IIRC.  I think it was added before the new year.  I know it wasn't played when we saw them in early November (my first Rush show ever), but it was when they were here again in June late in the tour when they did a second run through the US.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #317 on: June 06, 2023, 03:44:26 PM »
   The best thing about the tour was that only 5 of the 20+ songs were from RTB, and one was the instrumental (on the other hand, they never played the best song from the album).

Actually, if you saw the first 5-6 weeks of the Roll the Bones tour, you only got four songs from it as Ghost of a Chance wasn't played early in the tour, IIRC.  I think it was added before the new year.  I know it wasn't played when we saw them in early November (my first Rush show ever), but it was when they were here again in June late in the tour when they did a second run through the US.

I saw January and June 1992, and they did Ghost both times.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #318 on: June 06, 2023, 03:46:24 PM »

I saw January and June 1992, and they did Ghost both times.

Yep, yep, I looked it up and it looks like Ghost of a Chance was added in early December.

https://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/setlists.php#ROLLTHEBONES

Unrelated: Playing the first half or so of Xanadu and then segueing into Superconductor was the biggest WTF in their history.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #319 on: June 06, 2023, 03:46:35 PM »
Pg, that's how they've always done the lyrics. Neil writes, Geddy peaks in. Says, I can work with this. Alex and zgeddy work the lyrics.   Geddy goes back to Neil, says, this works, this phrase doesn't work here.

Neil works with Geddy to work out the lyrics and Bam, a song. It's always veen that way.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #320 on: June 06, 2023, 03:51:17 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online HOF

« Reply #321 on: June 06, 2023, 03:52:05 PM »
zgeddy sounds like Geddy's evil twin.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #322 on: June 06, 2023, 03:53:20 PM »
Zgeedy is truly evil.  :lol

Tim, it's always been a collaborative effort but neil gives notes and Geddy works with him.  You simpleton.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #323 on: June 06, 2023, 03:58:19 PM »

Tim, it's always been a collaborative effort but neil gives notes and Geddy works with him.  You simpleton.

The thing is, on S&A, it's really obvious, and the music ultimately doesn't hold up its end of the bargain.
Somewhere along the way, their music simplified, for lack of a better term, and instead od providing a nice and natural nest for the lyrics, it became a tad more rigid and it didn't seem to fit so well.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #324 on: June 06, 2023, 04:00:29 PM »
You can say that on every album. I love Counterparts but "The Speed of Love" is a weak song with weak lyrics.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #325 on: June 06, 2023, 04:02:04 PM »
You can say that on every album. I love Counterparts but "The Speed of Love" is a weak song with weak lyrics.

Well, sure, every album has a song that misses the mark musically.

Online HOF

« Reply #326 on: June 06, 2023, 04:02:17 PM »

I really like that song. Lyrics are a bit forgettable though.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #327 on: June 06, 2023, 04:05:03 PM »

Well, sure, every album has a song that misses the mark musically.

And lyrically as HOF just said.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #328 on: June 06, 2023, 04:23:56 PM »
17. Snakes & Arrows
13. Rush

As I said earlier... for me, my albums 11-17 are largely interchangeable.  They've all got 3-5 A-list songs (imo), and then the rest range from 'mostly enjoyable' to 'filler'.  The Main Monkey Business is the bomb though.  Top 3 instrumental from them.  :bringiton:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #329 on: June 06, 2023, 04:30:14 PM »
The Main Monkey Business is the bomb though.  Top 3 instrumental from them.  :bringiton:

It's a rip off of A National Acrobat.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #330 on: June 06, 2023, 04:38:36 PM »
I don't know what that means.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #331 on: June 06, 2023, 04:42:00 PM »

The main riff is the same as Black Sabbath's A National Acrobat, but faster.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #332 on: June 06, 2023, 04:45:25 PM »
The Main Monkey Business is the bomb though.  Top 3 instrumental from them.  :bringiton:

Well...think about the competition.  Maybe someone doesn't have LVS (12) and YYZ (20) as 1 and 2 (in whatever order), but I suspect such folks are few and far between.  After that, we've got

- Where's My Thing (127)
- Leave That Thing Alone (126)
- Limbo (103)
- The Main Monkey Business (109)
- Hope (123)
- Malignant Narcisism (142)

Is TMMB the best of those 6?  Maybe, none of those are anywhere near the level of LVS and YYZ (IMO, of course).  The numbers above in parentheses are how I ranked the songs when we did the Rush countdown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gozCnbfY-xM

One of the main riffs in TMMB is quite similar to the single main riff in Black Sabbath's A National Acrobat.

EDIT:  Tim swooped me!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online HOF

« Reply #333 on: June 06, 2023, 04:48:33 PM »

Well...think about the competition.  Maybe someone doesn't have LVS and YYZ as 1 and 2 (in whatever order), but I suspect such folks are few and far between.  After that, we've got

- Where's My Thing
- Leave That Thing Alone
- Limbo
- The Main Monkey Business
- Hope
- Malignant Narcisism

Is TMMB the best of those 6?  Maybe, none of those are anywhere near the level of LVS and YYZ (IMO, of course).

For reasons I don't quite understand I don't connect very well with Rush instrumentals. They are all fine, but I don't really seek any of them out. I think I concluded during the Rush song countdown that Leave That Thing Alone is the one I enjoy the most.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #334 on: June 06, 2023, 05:34:06 PM »

The main riff is the same as Black Sabbath's A National Acrobat, but faster.

Yep, that jumped at me right away the first time I listened to it.

It's kind of a cool instrumental, though...nothing mindblowing, to be sure...a bit "breezier" than their usual. In a way, a better version of what they were going for with Limbo, imo...

Offline 425

« Reply #335 on: June 06, 2023, 06:18:30 PM »
With the huge caveat that S&A comes from the section of the discography I'm not very familiar with, and that I notice several of you mentioned that you came to like this one less over time . . . . .

Y'all are crazy (except Stadler). I have a really positive early impression of this one. It has a distinct sound to it that I really like. It feels both heavy compared to most Rush albums while also being really melodic and having a lot of strong acoustic sections. So far, highlights for me are Far Cry, Armor and Sword and The Main Monkey Business. But there's a lot on here I find quite interesting.

With all that said, I put it in the bottom half of my list, but nowhere near last—#12—mainly because the second half doesn't feel as strong to me as the first. But that's partly with the "early impression penalty"; I could see myself going higher one day (assuming it doesn't fall off for me like it seems to have for many of you).

19. Rush
12. Snakes & Arrows
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline nick_z

« Reply #336 on: June 06, 2023, 06:28:23 PM »

Well...think about the competition.  Maybe someone doesn't have LVS and YYZ as 1 and 2 (in whatever order), but I suspect such folks are few and far between.  After that, we've got

- Where's My Thing
- Leave That Thing Alone
- Limbo
- The Main Monkey Business
- Hope
- Malignant Narcisism

Is TMMB the best of those 6?  Maybe, none of those are anywhere near the level of LVS and YYZ (IMO, of course).

For reasons I don't quite understand I don't connect very well with Rush instrumentals. They are all fine, but I don't really seek any of them out. I think I concluded during the Rush song countdown that Leave That Thing Alone is the one I enjoy the most.

I LOVE Leave That Thing Alone! For sure my third favorite Rush instrumental after LVS and YYZ.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #337 on: June 06, 2023, 06:39:37 PM »
I'm starting to wonder if Kev is just reposting my list.... :lol

19. Rush
18. Snakes & Arrows
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #338 on: June 06, 2023, 07:17:44 PM »

That trend comes to a crashing halt tomorrow.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #339 on: June 06, 2023, 07:27:10 PM »

Can I guess the album???

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #340 on: June 06, 2023, 07:30:18 PM »

Can I guess the album???

Nah.

My new rule is for every spotlighting offense, I post in the Taylor Swift thread to bump it back up to the top.  :hat :hat

:P :P

Offline Glasser

« Reply #341 on: June 06, 2023, 07:32:11 PM »

Can I guess the album???

Nah.

My new rule is for every spotlighting offense, I post in the Taylor Swift thread to bump it back up to the top.  :hat :hat

Haha! I wasn't going to try to guess what I believe it would be, I was gonna say Moving Pictures as a goof.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #342 on: June 06, 2023, 07:33:03 PM »
Moving Pictures is next!

Maybe I should just post it tonight. ;) :lol

Offline nick_z

« Reply #343 on: June 06, 2023, 07:34:37 PM »
Moving Pictures is next!

That would be quite the twist!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #344 on: June 06, 2023, 07:44:31 PM »

Nah.

:P :P

Like you even need a reason.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #345 on: June 06, 2023, 07:44:41 PM »
Moving Pictures is next!

I would post TAC in a thong and then light him on fire if Moving Pictures is next.  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #346 on: June 06, 2023, 07:45:51 PM »
If Moving Pictures is next, I'll post TAC in a thong!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #347 on: June 06, 2023, 07:46:47 PM »
Okay, so we are skipping ahead to 16.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #348 on: June 06, 2023, 07:46:55 PM »
I have a picture of TAC pushing a shoping cart into a cart return. That's worth more than him in a thong.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #349 on: June 06, 2023, 07:47:18 PM »
I have a picture of TAC pushing a shoping cart into a cart return. That's worth more than him in a thong.

Ah, fiction.