Author Topic: Rush studio albums countdown thread!!! (#01 revealed!!)  (Read 30140 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Rush studio albums countdown thread!!! (SUBMISSION PERIOD OVER!!)
« Reply #210 on: June 04, 2023, 01:58:32 PM »
The refrence came from a movie in a trilogy that grossed 3 billion Tim.  Not only nerds saw it.  Only curmudgeons like you don't get it.  :lol

3 billion Tim is a LOT of Tim.

-Marc.

Damn Rights. Damn rights.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #211 on: June 04, 2023, 02:07:13 PM »
The refrence came from a movie in a trilogy that grossed 3 billion Tim.  Not only nerds saw it.  Only curmudgeons like you don't get it.  :lol

-Marc.

I refuse to use a comma!  That's my version of being a Tim.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #212 on: June 04, 2023, 02:09:19 PM »

-Marc.

I refuse to use a comma!  That's my version of being a Tim.
At least that's not as bad as refusing to use a cart return :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #213 on: June 04, 2023, 02:18:50 PM »
Especially from a manager who should staff better in the parking lot. Then, customer ms wouldn't have to return their carts.

Funny, eh?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #214 on: June 04, 2023, 02:35:31 PM »
An early glance shows:

-Only one album finished in the top 10 of all 41 lists

I know there would be two, except for me.  It was odd.  When I made my list, it dropped considerably because....well, I've gotten older, and I hate the production.  Love, love, love the live offerings, especially a certain bootleg recorded a few months after seeing them for a third time....but I was listing the albums....so....
blame me when the time comes.

Moving on:  I always appreciate times 10 the effort our host does for these countdowns.  Especially so now.  I sent my list in weeks ago, during a bout of the flu.  I realized a couple of days ago that I'd erroneously entered two albums in wrong slots.  Even though one goes up only three points, and the other down three, I sent a request in to have them changed.

Voila!  he made the correction (the five bucks I slid under the table helped ;) ) and without chewing my head off!

Thanks, Kev!  :tup

(and....my apologies again.....)
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #215 on: June 04, 2023, 02:42:15 PM »
I saw Star Wars!

Still not even close to the movie or the amount of money made.   :lol

:lol I love this forum

Offline jammindude

Re: Rush studio albums countdown thread!!! (LISTS DUE BY JUNE 3rd)
« Reply #216 on: June 04, 2023, 02:59:52 PM »
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Glasser

« Reply #217 on: June 04, 2023, 03:16:01 PM »
Fool of a took!
I'll bet Chad's next paycheck that Tim won't get this. :corn

You and me both. Lol

First of all, Chad gets a paycheque, and second of all, why would I know some dorky reference that only nerds would know?
You listen to Helloween, you don't have a leg to stand on  :biggrin:

You're right! When I listen to Helloween I actually have three legs to stand on.

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin:metal :metal :metal

Offline 425

« Reply #218 on: June 04, 2023, 03:22:10 PM »
An early glance shows:

I know there would be two, except for me.  It was odd.  When I made my list, it dropped considerably because....well, I've gotten older, and I hate the production.  Love, love, love the live offerings, especially a certain bootleg recorded a few months after seeing them for a third time....but I was listing the albums....so....

Hmm, there’s one that I thought I might be the only one to have outside the top ten. I guess we’ll have to see!
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline HOF

Re: Rush studio albums countdown thread!!! (LISTS DUE BY JUNE 3rd)
« Reply #219 on: June 04, 2023, 03:22:49 PM »
Rush at their peak.

No lies detected.

But maybe some emotions…  ;D

Well played, sir, well played :biggrin:

I was wondering if anyone noticed.  :lol

I did! One of my favorite Rush songs!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: June 04, 2023, 03:24:00 PM »
Must be a tripod from a seconds store then. Tee hee.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #221 on: June 04, 2023, 03:27:11 PM »
Must be a tripod from a seconds store then. Tee hee.

30 seconds.  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: June 04, 2023, 04:22:33 PM »
 :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #223 on: June 04, 2023, 06:22:34 PM »

-Marc.

I suppose that depends on the conversion rate.   :biggrin:
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: June 04, 2023, 06:48:54 PM »
An early glance shows:

Moving on:  I always appreciate times 10 the effort our host does for these countdowns.  Especially so now.  I sent my list in weeks ago, during a bout of the flu.  I realized a couple of days ago that I'd erroneously entered two albums in wrong slots.  Even though one goes up only three points, and the other down three, I sent a request in to have them changed.

Voila!  he made the correction (the five bucks I slid under the table helped ;) ) and without chewing my head off!

Thanks, Kev!  :tup

(and....my apologies again.....)

I made my mistakes because of the PW's.  I guess I should have said one was 'Power Windows', and the other was 'Permanent Waves'. 

What would the reaction have been in that regards? ;) :lol
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Rush studio albums countdown thread!!! (#19 featured!)
« Reply #225 on: June 05, 2023, 05:59:46 AM »
Alright, let's get this started...

As always, this will start on a Monday and end on a Friday, with one album featured per day.

19 Rush

Highest Finish: 4 (Dragon Attack)
Lowest Finish: 19 (KevShmev, romdrums, The Letter M, DTwwbwMP, Mladen, Setlist Scotty, HOF, CharlesPL, BRGM, Zydar, Kingly Gizz & Liz Wiz Bizzy, devieira73, DTA, billboy73, Kram, nick_z, Nick, Puppies_On_Acid, 425, wolfking, Lethean)

Good debut, but it just pales in comparison to just about everything else that came after it.  There is a youthful energy and charm to it that is very endearing, and I do have much fondness for What You’re Doing and Here Again, but it’s just not an album I ever listen to from start to finish.  Even in my early fandom days, it wasn’t one I reached for that often.  I ranked it last.  All that said, while I expected it to finish near or at the bottom, I didn't expect it to finish last on 21 of the 41 lists.  That surprised me a little.

Favorite songs: What You're Doing, Here Again, Finding My Way

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: June 05, 2023, 06:31:48 AM »
This ranked number 6 for me. I don't know why I enjoy it as much as I do but to me the album ranges from good to great. As Kev said there is a great youthful energy to the band and the song writing isn't half bad either.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #227 on: June 05, 2023, 06:39:15 AM »
01   ?
02   ?
03   ?
04   ?
05   ?
06   ?
07   ?
08   ?
09   ?
10   ?
11   ?
12   ?
13   ?
14   ?
15   ?
16   ?
17   ?
18   ?
19   Rush

I figured this would be last when I ranked it here too. It's not a bad album at all and I can see why some folks would even put it in their top 10, but for me, everything they did after would just get better and better.

Of course, the live versions of these songs have such a different energy and feel that if we ranked the tour performances, the Rush Tour songs might have gone a place or two higher. Might...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline faizoff

« Reply #228 on: June 05, 2023, 06:53:03 AM »
16  Rush

Even though it's among the bottom five for me, it has a lot of catchy tracks and is a pretty good album overall. I was just listening to it yesterday and enjoyed it. For all the band albums even the last ranked album is a 7.5/10 for me.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #229 on: June 05, 2023, 07:01:57 AM »
19. Rush

Hate to rank anything last, but there it is. Bunch of fun stuff on this album, but not a lot of greatness, and lacking Neil who would revolutionize the band of course. Even at 19, I don't dislike it, and will still listen to it, especially when wanting Rush that's a little different.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline HOF

« Reply #230 on: June 05, 2023, 07:05:40 AM »
Truthfully, I’ve only heard parts of it. I’ve never liked Working Man and it just doesn’t seem like Rush without NP.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #231 on: June 05, 2023, 07:19:32 AM »
I saw Star Wars!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Offline DTA

« Reply #232 on: June 05, 2023, 07:21:04 AM »
I like the debut, but it just doesn't feel like the Rush I know and love. Before & After is a song I rarely see talked about, but it's the standout of the album for me.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #233 on: June 05, 2023, 07:26:44 AM »
16  Rush

Never even considered it for "last".  If anything it could have been higher, but for the consistent quality of what came later.  Sure, it misses Neil, but "here Again", "Before And After", and "Working Man" are all solid in their own way.  Honestly, it always made me scratch my head the "In The Mood" - probably the dumbest lyrics in the entire catalogue - was the one that made it into later setlist.  I know it's a "me" thing, but the line "Won't you come and sit with me?
I'll tell you all my lies!" bugs the crap out of me for how cliched it is.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #234 on: June 05, 2023, 07:39:05 AM »
Even though I ranked the debut at the very bottom of my list, I am surprised that it ended up last overall. I know it has its fans, but I've never been a fan. It's an average rock album to me. The band would improve on it immensely within only a couple of years.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #235 on: June 05, 2023, 07:44:16 AM »

Never even considered it for "last".  If anything it could have been higher, but for the consistent quality of what came later.  Sure, it misses Neil, but "here Again", "Before And After", and "Working Man" are all solid in their own way.  Honestly, it always made me scratch my head the "In The Mood" - probably the dumbest lyrics in the entire catalogue - was the one that made it into later setlist.  I know it's a "me" thing, but the line "Won't you come and sit with me?

Actually, the funny thing for me with In the Mood is that it was played on every single Rush tour I didn't see (it was played on every tour from the start through Presto) and was never played on any Rush tour I saw (every tour from Roll the Bones through R40).  The lyrics do not help the cause of that song or most of the songs on the debut, but considering Geddy had to write them on the fly the day they started recording them, due to original drummer John Rutsey throwing away the ones he had been working on, I don't hold it against him.  The album definitely suffers a bit by having typical ordinary hard rock lyrics, though, IMO. 
« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 07:52:32 AM by KevShmev »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #236 on: June 05, 2023, 08:20:14 AM »
Never even considered it for "last".  If anything it could have been higher, but for the consistent quality of what came later.  Sure, it misses Neil, but "here Again", "Before And After", and "Working Man" are all solid in their own way.
This exactly.  It ranked # 15 for me, but I like the album a lot.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #237 on: June 05, 2023, 08:32:39 AM »
I did my rankings using the ranking engine in a few minutes so I could make the cutoff.  I don't know how accurate my list is for myself, but this was definitely an easy last.  I listen to it on occasion, like some of the songs, but like everything else better.

(And the lyrics yeah could use some help.)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #238 on: June 05, 2023, 09:11:08 AM »

Actually, the funny thing for me with In the Mood is that it was played on every single Rush tour I didn't see (it was played on every tour from the start through Presto) and was never played on any Rush tour I saw (every tour from Roll the Bones through R40).  The lyrics do not help the cause of that song or most of the songs on the debut, but considering Geddy had to write them on the fly the day they started recording them, due to original drummer John Rutsey throwing away the ones he had been working on, I don't hold it against him.  The album definitely suffers a bit by having typical ordinary hard rock lyrics, though, IMO.

I didn't know that.   That explains a lot, actually. 

Offline billboy73

« Reply #239 on: June 05, 2023, 09:19:44 AM »
Easy to rank it last for me.   That said, it is a decent album.  I don't listen to it all that often, but occasionally I will put it on for a spin.  Never really been a huge fan of Working Man either.  Obviously it's missing the secret sauce that Neil brings to complete the holy triumvirate too. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #240 on: June 05, 2023, 09:22:31 AM »
19 Rush

Lowest Finish: 19 (KevShmev, romdrums, The Letter M, DTwwbwMP, Mladen, Setlist Scotty, HOF, CharlesPL, BRGM, Zydar, Kingly Gizz & Liz Wiz Bizzy, devieira73, DTA, billboy73, Kram, nick_z, Nick, Puppies_On_Acid, 425, wolfking, Lethean)

Good debut, but it just pales in comparison to just about everything else that came after it.  There is a youthful energy and charm to it that is very endearing, and I do have much fondness for What You’re Doing and Here Again, but it’s just not an album I ever listen to from start to finish.  Even in my early fandom days, it wasn’t one I reached for that often.  I ranked it last.  All that said, while I expected it to finish near or at the bottom, I didn't expect it to finish last on 21 of the 41 lists.  That surprised me a little.

Hmmm...way too low, IMO.  Like most of us, I bought this long after the fact.  I knew it had a different drummer.  I don't remember if I was familiar with any of the songs beforehand, but I probably was because of ATWAS.  Ultimately, it's all about four songs.  Working Man is obviously the classic.  Finding My Way is a close second.  What You're Doing is a bit of a sleeper; a fun song despite being repetitive.  In the Mood is a bit of a joke, but it's such a fun song live.  Everything else i barely bother with.

19  ??
18  ??
17  ??
16  ??
15  ??
14  ??
13  ??
12  Rush
11  ??
10  ??
9  ??
8  ??
7  ??
6  ??
5  ??
4  ??
3  ??
2  ??
1  ??

Honestly, it always made me scratch my head the "In The Mood" - probably the dumbest lyrics in the entire catalogue

Well...regarding dumb lyrics, there are two other songs on the debut that say, "hold my ice-cold beer," and I Think I'm Going Bald also has a strong argument.  I'd also like to know what the working man is bitching about.  He GOES TO work at 9 and gets home at 5!  I don't know if 9 is when he starts or when he leaves his place of residence.  Maybe he has a bitch of a commute, but dude is home at 5.  Doesn't sound so bad to me!   :biggrin:
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #241 on: June 05, 2023, 09:30:26 AM »

Well...regarding dumb lyrics, there are two other songs on the debut that say, "hold my ice-cold beer," and I Think I'm Going Bald also has a strong argument.  I'd also like to know what the working man is bitching about.  He GOES TO work at 9 and gets home at 5!  I don't know if 9 is when he starts or when he leaves his place of residence.  Maybe he has a bitch of a commute, but dude is home at 5.  Doesn't sound so bad to me!   :biggrin:

HAHAHAHA.   

Yeah, I Think I'm Going Bald is number two; I gave it a pass because it's a pun on "Goin' Blind" by Kiss ("'cause I think I'm going blind...")

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #242 on: June 05, 2023, 11:02:53 AM »
19 Rush

Hmmm...way too low, IMO.  Like most of us, I bought this long after the fact.  I knew it had a different drummer.  I don't remember if I was familiar with any of the songs beforehand, but I probably was because of ATWAS.  Ultimately, it's all about four songs.  Working Man is obviously the classic.  Finding My Way is a close second.  What You're Doing is a bit of a sleeper; a fun song despite being repetitive.  In the Mood is a bit of a joke, but it's such a fun song live.  Everything else i barely bother with.

19  ??
18  ??
17  ??
16  ??
15  ??
14  ??
13  ??
12  Rush
11  ??
10  ??
9  ??
8  ??
7  ??
6  ??
5  ??
4  ??
3  ??
2  ??
1  ??

Honestly, it always made me scratch my head the "In The Mood" - probably the dumbest lyrics in the entire catalogue

Without having actually ever read the real lyrics, I always go back and forth on whether Geddy is singing "a nice cold beer" or "an ice cold beer".  :rollin

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #243 on: June 05, 2023, 11:20:01 AM »
I've always done lists by what I gravitate toward playing more.  I rarely play the 1st Rush album.  That's why it's at #19 for me. 

19  Rush
18  ??
17  ??
16  ??
15  ??
14  ??
13  ??
12  ??
11  ??
10  ??
9  ??
8  ??
7  ??
6  ??
5  ??
4  ??
3  ??
2  ??
1  ??

Offline pg1067

« Reply #244 on: June 05, 2023, 11:33:19 AM »
Without having actually ever read the real lyrics, I always go back and forth on whether Geddy is singing "a nice cold beer" or "an ice cold beer".  :rollin

The genius of Geddy's lyricism is that it's open to interpretation!   :lol

There were no lyrics included with the album, and I always assumed it was "an ice-cold beer."  However, there are lyrics on rush.com, and it says "a nice cold beer."  Who knew?!  https://www.rush.com/albums/rush/