Author Topic: Concerts for 2023  (Read 31491 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Concerts for 2023
« Reply #805 on: November 01, 2023, 08:58:45 AM »
Tesseract was fucking amazing. That is all.

https://youtu.be/1UCdEPVPl08?si=cOH5G3PiKdKxHa92

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #806 on: November 01, 2023, 09:14:42 AM »
Ok well, I feel better now about the secure.ticket thing.  So I decided to hit the share button on the ticket and send it to my email address even though the link was already sent to my email address.  What it does was it transfer the barcode onto a new link now and what the original link now says is "Share Accepted" with no barcode.

I'm not sure I like this method as much as the usual ticket transfer, but I guess this is something that the higher-end bands/artists is implementing based on what I've seen on various reddit threads.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #807 on: November 03, 2023, 12:25:16 PM »
Dunno if there is any DTF on the Headbangers cruise - or if any of you have friends on board... someone went overboard very early in the AM and they have not found them.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #808 on: November 03, 2023, 12:28:10 PM »
saw Chat Pile last night in Denver. great show!! :metal
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #809 on: November 03, 2023, 12:46:59 PM »
Dunno if there is any DTF on the Headbangers cruise - or if any of you have friends on board... someone went overboard very early in the AM and they have not found them.

Oh wow, that's very sobering to read.  Per Blabbermouth.....

Earlier today, one person who is on the boat posted on social media: "Update - around 3:45 am the cruise ship we are on NCL Pearl - Headbangers boat had called a code Oscar starboard side. Confirmed approximately 30 minutes later. The ship has been in a search pattern for the man overboard since then. No luck. Overboard survival rates are slim. We have no news whether he jumped or fell. But intoxication was surely a factor. Scarey and sad. The whole boat of headbangers is a somber one today."

Another person wrote: "My son is on this Headbangers Boat tour, and this morning security was chasing a guy, and he jumped from a higher deck towards the back of the boat, and went overboard".

https://blabbermouth.net/news/man-goes-overboard-from-lamb-of-gods-headbangers-boat-search-and-rescue-operation-underway

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #810 on: November 03, 2023, 01:20:51 PM »
The boat has ceased their search and resumed their course. Up to the coast guard now I guess.

Also saw this on FB

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #811 on: November 06, 2023, 09:23:24 AM »
Really sad to hear. Sorry for the guy's family and friends.

I have never been on one of these cruises (or a cruise at all, actually). Not liking people, particularly crowds (and that dislike has grown, post-COVID), I never felt like the metal cruises were the environment for my wife and I. We don't drink a lot (she doesn't at all, and I just a casual good beer or glass of wine once in a while), and I just can't see these headbanger metal cruises being something I would overly enjoy. But I have been tempted to shell out for one, just for the experience.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Order at www.roadstomadness.com/book.html!

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #812 on: November 06, 2023, 09:34:37 AM »
I'm not a cruise guy at all (I think the last time I was on a cruise, long ago, I got sea sick).  If there was one cruise I would have loved to go to, if I had the money at the time, it would have been the ShipRocked line-up in 2017.  Breaking Benjamin, Papa Roach, Alter Bridge, Sevendust, etc.  Now I had the luxury to see those four bands, but those bands on a ship would have been something.

That said, what we read last Friday about someone falling off the boat is horrifying to read and you just hope that's something you don't want to read often.  If someone falls off a cruise ship, survivability is pretty slim and hard for people to find the body.

Back on the topic of concerts for me, still got the Queen and Adam Lambert concert in BMO Stadium this Saturday.  Was able to save the ticket onto my Apple Wallet.  Maybe I may go see Switchfoot and their 20th anniversary tour of The Beautiful Letdown album at the Wiltern the next day.  Depends on how tickets prices are at this point.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #813 on: November 06, 2023, 09:54:09 AM »
I'm not a cruise guy at all (I think the last time I was on a cruise, long ago, I got sea sick).  If there was one cruise I would have loved to go to, if I had the money at the time, it would have been the ShipRocked line-up in 2017.  Breaking Benjamin, Papa Roach, Alter Bridge, Sevendust, etc.  Now I had the luxury to see those four bands, but those bands on a ship would have been something.

That said, what we read last Friday about someone falling off the boat is horrifying to read and you just hope that's something you don't want to read often.  If someone falls off a cruise ship, survivability is pretty slim and hard for people to find the body.

Back on the topic of concerts for me, still got the Queen and Adam Lambert concert in BMO Stadium this Saturday.  Was able to save the ticket onto my Apple Wallet.  Maybe I may go see Switchfoot and their 20th anniversary tour of The Beautiful Letdown album at the Wiltern the next day.  Depends on how tickets prices are at this point.

You might be interested in the 2 creed options based on your earlier missed opportunity https://www.sixthman.net/festivals

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #814 on: November 06, 2023, 09:55:05 AM »
I was aware of the Creed cruises, but I have no interest with that line-up.

Plus, I may see a version of that line-up at Glen Helen Amphitheater in August.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2023, 10:02:01 AM by Anguyen92 »

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #815 on: November 06, 2023, 03:00:30 PM »
The rumors seem to be that the guy jumped off running from security.  Definitely not alive.  Ever since that video of the person jumping off a cruise and potentially swimming near some sharks a few months back, I keep getting tiktoks showing people throwing some food off a cruise to show all the sealife coming to eat it up immediately.  Add in no life vest, and the chance is 0 that someone survives that.  Of course I feel bad, but sadly, this seems entirely preventable.

Anyway, I went to a big power metal concert in NYC last Friday  :yarr

Show started off with a band I wasn't familiar with called Edge of Paradise.  They were not power metal, not sure exactly what they were, a bit poppy, but had some good guitar work.  I just couldn't handle the singers vocals.  She sounds like she uses an effect on her voice that makes it incredibly annoying (although in my videos, it doesn't seem so noticeable).  Either way, her vocals kind of hurt my ears a bit.  I wouldn't say they were bad, just not the greatest.  Some of the songs were decent, just hard to listen to after 15 minutes.  Luckily they only played 30.  The band would hang out at their merch for most of the night, but since i dind't love them, I didn't bother to say hi or take a picture.

Next up was Nanowar of Steel which is a power metal parody band.  They were incredible!  Wow, what a surpise.  I thought they were going to be fun just because the music is meant to be fun, but being an opener who I'm not too familiar with, I wasn't sure what to expect.  First off, the crowd was wild for them.  It seemed a lot of people knew their songs and did all the hand/arm dances for the songs.  Specifically the two girls directly in front of us in the pit looked like choreographed dancers  :lol Second, while playing to a backing track, you could clearly tell the band on stage was totally live and totally owning the mistakes.  it felt incredibly raw, and I think that added to the energy in the room for them.  The band was also dressed up (I think this is their normal attire, but it's basically all goofy outfits).  Sadly their set was super short.  Felt like it was 15 minutes, but it was likely closer to 30.  Before the last song, the singer made a joke about ikea, and so then during the song, he started building an ikea table  :lol then threw it into the crowd once he finished.  Such a funny and unique set! The band actually retweeted my video of this moment if anyone is curious to see what that was like  :lol https://twitter.com/Cramx3/status/1721278114326610369

Amaranthe was next and the band I wanted to see the most.  So between bands we stepped outside for a smoke, and by the time we got back in, the place was basically packed to the max.  It wasn't a sell out, but it was very very close.  So close to 2k people with 1.5 in GA.  Basically I couldn't get a good view (not that my view was great for the openers, but it was MUCH better).  Anyway so we started the set trying to get back to where we were but eventually called it quits a few songs in and went all the way to the back unsold last two rows in the venue.  The sound was TERRIBLE back there.  My videos still came out fine, but in person, it was hard to hear int he back.  Either way, Amaranthe were fine, but nothing impressive.  They played the new single and another new song they released last year, and neither were very good.  I feel like the crowd was into it for the older songs, but some of the newer stuff just felt flat, including "That Song" which i felt like completely killed the crowd.  That song sucks. I thought the new screamer was fine.  Elize sounded pretty rough.  Nils was clearly the best vocalist on stage, probably out of all the bands.  Glad I finalyl got to see him live, but Amaranthe were kind of a dissapointment for me.

The place emptied out slightly for Dragonforce which was nice as we were able to get back to the spot we spent the rest of the night for their set. I can only take so much Dragonforce in one sitting.  I do enjoy their music, but the over the top soloing gets a bit much.  So it was hard for me to love their set. They were VERY fun though.  The stage was awesome with two old school arcages (one Galaga, the other Rampage) and a huge screen with the videos in the back.  They did their new song which is about Zelda so they threw some (fake) chickens into the crowd to be thrown around. They also brought out a special guest guitarist from Revocation (I'm not familiar with them) and the singer from Nanowar of Steel and did their own Sabaton parody song (which they did live on twitch back during the Pandemic).  That was easily the highlihgt of their set for me as I knew that song and it was so stupid with the marching, but hilarious and fun.  They also did a new unreleased Taylor Swift cover during the encore.  Then as they were about to start their last song, Through the Fire and the Flames we left as it was already 11:15 and we had a train to catch.  Very fun concert!

Dragonforce, Amaranthe, Nanowar of Steel, and  Edge of Paradise LIVE @ Palladium Times Square New York City NY 11/3/2023

Next up:

November 8th - Hollywood Undead & Tech N9NE @ Terminal 5, New York City NY

ALSO, a surprise album release pop up concert was announced today for this coming sunday.  So I was able to scoop up a couple tickets before it sold out in 4 minutes as this arena band is playing a club show!

November 12th - AJR @ Irving Plaza, New York City NY

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #816 on: November 10, 2023, 07:50:52 AM »
January 31st - Anthrax, Black Label Society & Exodus @ Wellmont Theater, Montclair, NJ
February 27th- The Winery Dogs @ Newton Theater, Newton, NJ
May 18th - Clutch @ Starland Ballroom, Sayreville, NJ
June 6th - Dave Matthews Band @ Forest Hills Stadium, Forest Hills, NY
August 3rd - P!nk, Brandi Carlile @ Citi Field, Flushing, NJ
August 4th - Metallica, Pantera & MammothWVH @ MetLife Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ
August 6th - Metallica, Five Finger Death Punch & Ice Nine Kills @ MetLife Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ
October 20th - Prong @ Dingbatz, Clifton, NJ
November 12th - Brother Cane @ Dunellen Theater, Dunellen, NJ
November 13th - Geddy Lee book release @ Beacon Theater, NYC
November 26th - Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Evening, Montclair, NJ

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #817 on: November 10, 2023, 01:49:23 PM »
Pretty good concert year for me (Not bad for 63 :rollin)

803   Alter Bridge / WVH 2/1/23   Wellmont Theater
804   The Winery Dogs 2/17/23   Keswick Theater
805   ANGEL 3/10/23   Sellersville Theater
806   Riverside 3/17/23 Underground Arts
807   Muse / Evanescence 3/19/23 Wachovia Center
808   The Rush Tribute Project 3/29/23 Count Basie Theater
809   Jon Anderson & The Band Geeks (YES classics) 4/16/23 NJPAC
810   Haken 5/10/23 Theater of Living Arts
811   Kansas 6/9/23 Keswick Theater
812   AM Radio 6/24/23 Sellersville Theater
813   Dream Theater / Devin Townsend 6/28/23 The Theater @ MSG
814   Carl Palmer Band (ELP Legacy) 7/28/23 Keswick Theater
815   Extreme / Living Color 8/12/23 Keswick Theater
816   Gov't Mule (Pink Floyd show) / Jason Bonham' Led Zep Evening 8/19/23 Arts Center
817   Aerosmith / The Black Crowes 9/2/23   Wachovia Center
818   Greta Van Fleet 9/12/23 Madison Square Garden
819   Queen + Adam Lambert 10/18/23 Wachovia Center
820   Floyd Nation 10/21/23 Carteret PAC
821   Godsmack / Extreme   10/28/23 Camden Center
822   Dirty Honey 11/5/23   Asbury Lanes
Still to come:
823   Mammoth WVH / Nita Strauss 11/18/23 Keswick Theater
824   Jason Bonham' Led Zep Evening   11/25/23   The Wellmont Theater
825   RAEL (Genesis tribute) 12/1/23   The Vogel
826   Wizards of Winter 12/9/23   Carteret PAC

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #818 on: November 10, 2023, 03:08:04 PM »
nice!!

i'm seeing Baroness tomorrow in Denver :metal
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #819 on: November 10, 2023, 06:19:59 PM »
Tuesday night I went to see Brit Floyd. I didn't really know what to expect. I've never seen a touring cover band before but I love Pink Floyd's music (they're one of my all time favorite bands) and I really wanted to see these songs played live. I've seen Roger Waters during The Wall tour and that was my all time favorite show but there is still a lot more material I wish I could've seen.

I got to the venue and it was pretty packed, it felt like it was near or at capacity. The stage looked like a smaller version of the Pink Floyd you'd see on Delicate Sound Of Thunder or PULSE with Mr. Screen dead center.

The show started and immediately I was just awestruck and how good they sounded. I have about a dozen or so PF bootlegs from the 70's - 90's and these guys did PF better live than PF did. The bassist Ian Cattell sounded exactly like Roger Waters. If you closed your eyes you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

The attention to detail was insane too, not only did they sound amazing but all the lighting was done in a way that was authentic to what you saw on the tours. They had the inflatable pig, the mirror ball during comfortably numb, the lasers that had the same patterns (or better) patterns from what you'd see at during the pulse tour. I cannot stress how much they killed it. Edo Scordo even nailed Tim Renwick's nuances for Another Brick In The Wall. Eva Avila also nailed The Great Gig In Sky.

I didn't know what to expect but they far exceeded my expectations. This was the last show of the year (most likely) and this has been the best year of shows I think I've been to, seeing Brit Floyd was a perfect end to a fantastic year of live music. Apparently one of the musicians is local to North Carolina so they always play here, I will make sure to see every show I can.

Here are some pics from the show.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #820 on: November 12, 2023, 09:50:02 AM »
So the Queen and Adam Lambert concert was great at BMO Stadium.  Songs were performed really well.  Visuals were awesome.  Crowd was a bit meh in some parts.  Adam Lambert sang those songs just as well as anyone could in those spots and he was very flamboyant to make it all work.  Brian May, at his age, was very good on guitar.

However, there was a lot of things that was not as great in my trip back to Downtown LA.  One, there was a section of the 10 Freeway that had to be closed due to a storage fire near the freeway the previous night so I had to be redirected to another way to LA Live (as I had validated parking there for the day).  Two, during the Queen concert during a Brian May acoustic section of the show, there was this dude in my section cussing a storm and everyone around him is telling him to STFU and that guy was not having it (one of those guys who feels like he's more important than everyone else, but is actually not).  As he was walking down the stairs to leave, he was trying to start a fight with anyone that talked to him.  I think I may have ran into that guy at the train station back, but I choose to just ignore his profanity-laced rant about whatever.  Three, there was a a fire truck just next to the exit of the parking garage I was at when leaving LA Live and they were highly likely sorting out an accident on that street.  Thankfully, I was able to exit safely and able to get home safely.  Also, I read that there were a crash near the soccer stadium as well, so I'm pretty glad I didn't park there or need to take an Uber/Lyft in the area.

I thought about wanting to see Switchfoot today, but given the news that part of the 10 Freeway would still be close and traffic would be even more hell than normal, I'm going to pass.  Next concert may be Trans-Siberian Orchestra in Ontario, California.  I'm still waiting to get a good ticket as a lower priced.  If not, it may be Mammoth WVH at the Belasco in December.  Also waiting for a lower priced GA ticket.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #821 on: November 12, 2023, 12:16:59 PM »
Well, Tesseract absolutely crushed last night. As of right now it's my last show of 2023 (though I need to look into Katatonia coming through town next month), and if that holds then what a show to go out on. This was my first longer road trip since getting my license, it took a little over two hours to make the drive from Orlando to Tampa. I got into town and immediately hit a couple breweries (and had a banging chorizo cheesesteak for lunch in the process). I got to my airbnb at about 4, and after settling in I headed over to the venue for the VIP session. There was already a good crowd outside the venue by 4:45pm or so, ended up that Tampa had the largest VIP contingent of the whole tour. We eventually made our way into the venue and a few at a time got to head over to a table to meet the band and get a signed tour poster. I didn't have much to say as a pretty new fan of the band. Next up we got two songs in a stripped down setting, with a Q&A session in between. Hearing Dan nail Sirens in particular was just fantastic. We got to hit the merch stand early and then they opened the doors to everybody at about 6:30. Then we all just stood there for an hour and a half :lol Evidently Alluvial's van broke down so they had to detour back to Atlanta and skip the show last night. Intervals came on right at 8 and played a great opening set. Kind of reminded me of Arch Echo in that it was technical, fast paced, and at least somewhat upbeat instrumental music and it made for a great ~40 minute set. Tesseract came on just after 9 and the only reason I can't say they blew the roof off the place was because our venue was outdoors. So heavy and tight, and Dan Tompkins was just fantastic live. The crowd, which showed some spark during the Intervals set, really came alive once Tesseract got going. By the time we got to the excellent encore of the Concealing Fate sections the mosh pit was pretty gnarly. Dan said it was easily the best pit of the whole tour, so hopefully that plus the VIP turnout means FL continues to get some attention for future dates.
Photobucket sucks.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #822 on: November 13, 2023, 02:37:32 PM »
Last week my buddy had requested I join him to see Hollywood Undead at Terminal 5 in NYC. I said yes, but I wasn't familiar with them.  They are a rap rock band.  The tour was a coheadline tour with rap group Tech N9ne.  For this show, Hollywood Undead were the first (which worked out well for me).  I met up with my buddy right after work and we were able to hit up a bar for a couple drinks to catch up before the show.  Hollywood Undead went on at 8pm, and we got there at 7:45.  The venue was not packed at all.  The two balconies were closed off so it was just the GA floor that was maybe 2/3 full. Fine by me, we were able to have a good spot where there weren't many people around us. 

I thought their set was good.  I had listened to them during the week so I wasn't completely unfamiliar with the songs they played. They had like 4 different people singing leads, plus they were rotating guitars between them too.  It felt like the band was incredibly active in changing who was doing what in each song.  Thought that was pretty cool as even though they were playing to click and backing track, what you did see felt and sounded live still.  During the song Comin In Hot, one of the singers brought out their son as they said his family surprised him and flew out to see the NYC show.  Pretty cute to see the kid and they gave him a guitar to act like he was playing on stage with them.  Just odd, that the song they chose, was a huge drinking song so lyrically it felt a bit weird to have the kid up there. They also said the drummers parents were in the crowd so they told him to do a quick solo and then gave him the mic and he sang Don't Stop Believing by Journey.  Definitely got the feeling they were having some fun on stage that night.

We left after their set and I didn't see Tech N9ne, which was OK.  I'm not familiar with any of their music and I got to be back home by 11pm from NYC on a weeknight... win.

Hollywood Undead LIVE @ Terminal 5 New York City NY 11/8/2023

Saw AJR last night in a pop up concert, I need to edit my video tonight for that so I'm sure I'll write something up tomorrow for that show.

Offline Awaken

« Reply #823 on: November 14, 2023, 08:16:03 AM »
Tuesday night I went to see Brit Floyd. I didn't really know what to expect. I've never seen a touring cover band before but I love Pink Floyd's music (they're one of my all time favorite bands) and I really wanted to see these songs played live. I've seen Roger Waters during The Wall tour and that was my all time favorite show but there is still a lot more material I wish I could've seen.

I got to the venue and it was pretty packed, it felt like it was near or at capacity. The stage looked like a smaller version of the Pink Floyd you'd see on Delicate Sound Of Thunder or PULSE with Mr. Screen dead center.

The show started and immediately I was just awestruck and how good they sounded. I have about a dozen or so PF bootlegs from the 70's - 90's and these guys did PF better live than PF did. The bassist Ian Cattell sounded exactly like Roger Waters. If you closed your eyes you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

The attention to detail was insane too, not only did they sound amazing but all the lighting was done in a way that was authentic to what you saw on the tours. They had the inflatable pig, the mirror ball during comfortably numb, the lasers that had the same patterns (or better) patterns from what you'd see at during the pulse tour. I cannot stress how much they killed it. Edo Scordo even nailed Tim Renwick's nuances for Another Brick In The Wall. Eva Avila also nailed The Great Gig In Sky.

I didn't know what to expect but they far exceeded my expectations. This was the last show of the year (most likely) and this has been the best year of shows I think I've been to, seeing Brit Floyd was a perfect end to a fantastic year of live music. Apparently one of the musicians is local to North Carolina so they always play here, I will make sure to see every show I can.

Here are some pics from the show.

Nice pics, glad to hear about your experience w Brit Floyd.  I love them, try to catch them every time they come to the CT area.  There's an Australian touring PF cover band too, they're also quite good but I prefer Brit Floyd personally.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #824 on: November 14, 2023, 02:54:18 PM »
So I was lucky enough to snag 2 tickets to the pop up concert for AJR celebrating their new album release on Sunday night.  They announced the show Monday morning, sale was that day at 3pm, and tickets sold out in 4 minutes.  They were 40 each after fees and were then selling for 200 on stubhub.  Glad I got in.  They played Irving Plaza which is a 1k capacity GA club type of venue. They are headling 2 nights at Madison Square Garden later this year, so you get the idea of the band playing a smaller show. 

We got to the venue super early to grab dinner before the show and the line was already wrapped around the city block.  No surprise, but even 45 minutes after doors when we arrived back at the venue after dinner and drinks, the line was still as long as it was  :lol but it was already moving at that point so the wait wasn't too bad.  Doors opened at 6, we got in by 7:30, and the show started around 8pm.  It was only AJR and I had never seen such little room at the Irving Plaza floor.  The balcony was not allowed (and not for sale).  We were stuck back by the bar, which I expected, but did not realize literally back to the bar it was that tight. 

They were a lot of fun.  They live debuted a bunch of the new songs and I was amazed how the crowd sang the words so loud for some of these new songs that never had been played before.  Granted, the albumwas out for 3 days at this point, but still. Being in a small venue, they didn't have a full stage show like they did at the Red Rocks when I last saw them, but they had a screen with new animations and some lights to pull off a pretty decent stage show for a one off gig.  (although I'm guessing the animations will be used for when they tour).  They also had a brand new member of the band, a live violinist.  Makes sense since the music has been using violins.  Glad to see them make the next step to up their live game.  The band sounded pretty good overall and the crowd was loud.  I noticed a bunch of cameras around the venue and on stage so they definitely recorded the show, but they didn't say anything that I caught so not sure if it's for a live show or a future music video or just promotional content. 

AJR - The Maybe Man Album Release Show @ Sold Out Irving Plaza New York City NY 11/12/2023

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #825 on: November 18, 2023, 10:16:57 PM »
Nanowar of Steel building an IKEA table on stage, then tossing it into the crowd, may be the most stupidly hilarious thing I've ever seen a band do. Some kid snagged the table and stood on it in the middle of the pit and the legs shattered, with people waving table legs in the air like drumsticks.

:metal

Time for Amaranthe...

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #826 on: November 18, 2023, 11:20:08 PM »
Amaranthe absolutely fucking slayed. Really can't see Dragonforce topping that performance.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #827 on: November 19, 2023, 12:49:20 AM »
I can't really afford it, and it looks like it's sold out anyway, but Green Lung and Boss Keloid are playing in Bristol in a few weeks. Might try and go still.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #828 on: November 19, 2023, 02:26:36 AM »
Dragonforce was 100% Dragonforce in all their glory. Such a fun show. Ill never be a hardcore power metal fan, but holy fuck are the shows a blast.

Online Nachtmerrie

« Reply #829 on: November 19, 2023, 08:02:38 AM »
Saw Animals As Leaders doing a fantastic show this Thursday. 
Amazing playing but also a lot of energy. Unique band that really evolved their sound with the last album.

Venue was sold out with around 1.200 people.
First time I´ve seen moshpits and crowdsurfers during a instrumental show.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #830 on: November 19, 2023, 01:00:57 PM »
Nanowar of Steel building an IKEA table on stage, then tossing it into the crowd, may be the most stupidly hilarious thing I've ever seen a band do. Some kid snagged the table and stood on it in the middle of the pit and the legs shattered, with people waving table legs in the air like drumsticks.

Nanowar retweeted my video of that when they did it in NYC  :lol so fucking fun and funny, but no one at our show tried to get on it  :lol  That's going to end up somewhere on my top 10 concert moments of 2023 video.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #831 on: November 19, 2023, 01:39:00 PM »
Saw Mammoth WVH last night with Nita Strauss opening. Nita is a solid guitarist, but much of her music is "samey". Overall though, good set. As far as Wolfie goes, good music, talented artist but is SO BORING LIVE! He and his band are definitely "opening" material, as the music is good. BUT, as a headliner?

YAWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN! :tdwn

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #832 on: November 19, 2023, 01:50:16 PM »

Nanowar retweeted my video of that when they did it in NYC  :lol so fucking fun and funny, but no one at our show tried to get on it  :lol  That's going to end up somewhere on my top 10 concert moments of 2023 video.

He didn't just stand on it, he was in the middle with a pretty sizeable pit whirling around him. He lasted about 10 seconds on the thing, throwing horns and living his greatest glory, when it just shattered and the pit collapsed around him as people tried to grab bits of the table for souvenirs.

The pit also ripped the legs off one of the chickens too  :lol :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #833 on: November 20, 2023, 09:58:15 AM »
Saw Mammoth WVH last night with Nita Strauss opening. Nita is a solid guitarist, but much of her music is "samey". Overall though, good set. As far as Wolfie goes, good music, talented artist but is SO BORING LIVE! He and his band are definitely "opening" material, as the music is good. BUT, as a headliner?

YAWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN! :tdwn

Not sure I feel the same as you, on both accounts.  Saw the same show the night before you at Starland. 

Venue was not sold out, but might as well have been.  I hate when that venue is full because it's so hard to move around or get in a position to even see the show. Good for the bands though.  Nita Strauss was first and the first half of her set was instrumental music and the second half she had a singer come out and do her new songs that in studio all have various guest vocals.  As for the music being samey, I didn't think so at all, but she did end the set with 3 songs that were all radio rock songs, for which, I could definitely see the samey comment come from.  I didn't get that vibe otherwise up until the last few songs.  I also thought her singer sucked.  I think she had a hard task to sing songs the style of 4 different and well known singers, but it felt like she couldn't even do one of them.  She just sounded really off to me and even my gf commented during the set that she wasn't very good.  Nita was however very fun to watch, as usual with Alice Cooper, but never saw her solo.  Can't say I loved the music all that much, but it was still, a solid opening set IMO.

Wolfie was good.  Already my 5th time seeing Mammoth, but the first time with him doing a full headline set.  He played the same venue a year and a half earlier where the band performed as a 3 piece and Wolfie referenced that show multiple times, which I LOVED as I was there and thought that show was incredible.  He played almost all of his second album which I've enjoyed so I was happy the setlist was strong on the new songs.  Both he and the band sounded really tight.  What I do agree with, his show isn't anything special beyond a good performance.  No bells and whistles.  Nothing that felt like it was unique other than talking about the previous time here.  His music is also very radio rock like so there's no real "balls" to his show.  I can see why someone might think his show is boring.  I don't agree, but it's far from being something unique.

Mammoth WVH & Nita Strauss LIVE @ Starland Ballroom Sayreville NJ 11/17/2023

Got a full week without a show, tentatively planning on seeing this in one week from today:

November 27th - In This Moment, Ice Nine Kills & Avatar @ Hammerstein Ballroom, New York City NY

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #834 on: November 20, 2023, 10:17:47 AM »
I think this is the whole list for the year at this point. Pretty much stuck to my ska/punk/emo roots this year lol

2/11 Saturn 3 (Husbands band)
2/25 Innings Festival (Green Day, Weezer, Back Crows, Offspring, etc)
3/4 Saturn 3
3/16 We Are The Union, Catbite, Kill Lincoln
7/15 Backstreet Romeo (husband filling in for a local band)
7/29 Yellowcard 20year Ocean Avenue tour - I'm gonna cry at this one lol... I did cry!!
8/4 Just About Halfway (Husband's band)
8/27 Less Than Jake, The Toasters, Venomous Pinks
10/7 Coheed and Cambria Neverender No World For Tomorrow in LA
10/23-27 Coheed and Cambria SS. Neverender Raiders of Silent Earth 3 cruise with a bunch of other bands
11/1 Story of the year - didn't end up going because Covid
11/17 Goldfinger, Authority Zero and It's Fine.
12/29 and 12/30 Just About Halfway

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #835 on: November 26, 2023, 09:03:33 PM »
I got to see Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Evening last night at The Wellmont Theater in Montclair, NJ.  It was the first time I'd gotten to see Jason Bonham live since the Meadowlands, NJ stop on Jimmy Page's 1988 Outrider tour.  JBLZE had made several NJ stops over it's 14 year history.  I'd just never gotten to see it.  I'm so glad I decided to check it out.  It was a sold-out show in the 2,100-capacity venue that started just after 8pm.  It was the perfect scenario for my 50-year old ass.  No opening band.  They played for 2 hours.  And, I was home at 10:45.

His band is amazing.  The singer, James Dylan, pulled off the best Robert Plant vocals I've ever heard, and even played some acoustic guitar.  The guitarist, Jimmy "Mr. Jimmy" Sakurai, is a show-stealer.  From his physical appearance to his wardrobe to his actual guitars to his stage movement, he IS Jimmy Page.  And, his playing is flawless.  I need to see the documentary on him, Mr. Jimmy, when it either comes my way in the theaters or when it's streaming.  The bassist and 2nd guitarist/keyboardist filled out the rest of the band perfectly.  After every few songs, Jason would be handed a mic and he'd recount some stories about his dad or when he was younger.  His drumming was obviously solid throughout the set.  And, everyone in the crowd had a great time.

My only complaint (minor as it is) is the setlist.  I understand this is going to be a very "hits"-oriented show.  However, of the 16 songs played, "The Wanton Song" and "Kashmir" were the only 2 songs from an album past Houses Of The Holy.  The entire set was: "Immigrant Song", "Good Times, Bad Times", "Over The Hills And Far Away", "The Wanton Song", "Ramble On", "What Is And What Should Never Be", "When The Levee Breaks", "Thank You", "Since I've Been Loving You", "The Ocean", "Misty Mountain Hop", "White Summer/ Black Mountain Side"/ "Kashmir", "Stairway To Heaven", "Whole Lotta Love" and "Rock And Roll".

If you're a Zeppelin fan and this show is coming your way, it's totally worth checking out.  The musicianship is excellent and the songs are timeless.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #836 on: November 27, 2023, 08:26:10 AM »
I saw JSLZE open for Foreigner and Whitesnake like 5 years ago  at PNC and was very pleased by how good they sounded.  I also agree about the looks.  Everything about that performance felt like the closest thing you may get to see LZ.  I also remember the place booing when they finished because people legit wanted more and I remember being shocked people felt that strongly about the opening "cover" band.

I still haven't gotten a ticket, but I'm prepared to head into NYC tonight after work for this:

November 27th - In This Moment, Ice Nine Kills & Avatar @ Hammerstein Ballroom, New York City NY

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #837 on: November 29, 2023, 03:02:10 PM »
Went to what I am calling a "shock rock" show on Monday night at Hammerstein Ballroom in NYC.  It's a metal show, but all these bands are more like an Alice Cooper type of show than a traditional metal concert.  It was a co headline bill of In The Moment and Ice Nine Kills with opener Avatar (and New Years Day who I did not see).

Venue was packed.  Not sold out, but the lower balcony was and tickets weren't too cheap at reseale or face value, but I managed to find one cheap ticket for a side balcony seat at $65 after fees that I got.  I thought it would actually be a really good seat, but turns out that side balcony kind of sucks for a view unless your at the front of the balcony.  For me, near the back end of it, I had to mostly lean over to see which isn't terrible.  But that leads me to an issue I had.  First of all, this concert was very noticeably filled with young girls.  I was there mostly for Avatar and wasn't familiar with the co headliners much (I did see Ice Nine Kills open for Metallica this year though) and didn't realize the crowd they would draw.  When I got to my seat, there were two girls in it.  I asked security who told ME to tell them to leave even though he was standing 3 feet away and admittingly said they shouldn't be there.  Great.  They did leave immediately when I kindly asked.  I mostly wanted to put my jacket down on my seat as I figured theres enoguh room to stand anyway.  So there were girls next to me who were small enough to stick there head under the railing to watch insstead of lean over it.  Then there were young girls behind me who couldn't see because of all the issues I had PLUS I was in front of them.  So i felt a bit worse knowing I was blocking some kids. SO what pissed me off.  After letting them come and stand next to me to get a view, they were ALSO not supposed to be there.  The real people (adults) came and kicked them out.  >:(

Anyway, back to the concert.  Avatar were awesome.  I saw thier full headline show earlier this year at a smaller venue, it was really cool to see them get to rock a bigger show and a show that apparently most people hadn't seen them before.  Really happy for them! The crowd reacted pretty well too for an opener with a big mosh pit opening up and then even a second one later in the set.  The band was fully live and raw, sounded great although I think the singer struggled a bit at times.  I even re-recorded my favorite new song of theirs since the audio got screwed up earlier in the year.  Compare this from May to this from Monday  :metal They got 40-45 minutes which was a solid set opener and most of the people were already here to get to see them as well.

Next was Ice Nine Kills.  I'm fairly sure this was who the young female was there for.  Based not only on the girls near me, but how loud the place all of the sudden got.  I thought they were 10x better than the Metlife show for Metallica.  Not just sound, but energy, stage show, crowd reaction, my own view.  Everything was much better.  They did have a cool stage show for Metallica, some of which was repeated and/or similar.  But most songs had some sort of thing happening on stage.  Whether it be zhombies, a cop, a shark, a clown, everything got stabbed to death basically during the set.  The songs sounded better this time so I actually enjoyed the music a lot more, but I didn't love it.  I did enjoy the loud crowd singing the bombastic chorus' though.  They played for 60 minutes.  And then the venue emptied.

Half of the balcony section I was in left before In This Moment came on.  The floor emptied out as well, but I did notice sooo many people went to get Ice Nine Kills merch so it filled back a little bit by the time the band hit, but the venue was noticeably different in energy.  I can't say I cared too much for In This Moment musically.  There were maybe 2 or 3 songs that were solid, but nothing special.  I really struggled to tell if they were even live.  I think the 3 band members on stage were, but I think the lead singer was not for a significant amount of the show.  Their thing was clearly a wild stage show.  Lots of pyro and 4 dancers on stage at all time basically following the singer around and dancing with or around her. This was clearly the highlight of their set as well.  The singer mostly stood in the middle on what looked like a guillotine. She wore a mask most of the set so you couldn't see her face.  She sounded wayyy too perfect, even with screams, while dancing and moving.  It just all looked like a stage show to me.  I moved down to the emptying floor for the second half of their set and left before the last song.  They also played for an hour.

Fun show in the end, but sadly, the opner was the best and it was all downhill from there.  I mostly went thinking Ice Nine Kills and In This Moment would have good enough stage shows and music to be worth seeing. Maybe for $65 but not for the face value of $100.

In This Moment, Ice Nine Kills, & Avatar LIVE @ Hammerstein Ballroom New York City NY 11/27/2023

I'd love to score a cheap ticket to see Kiss this weekend in NYC for their final shows, but I dont expect to.  I'll keep my eyes out, but not banking on it.  In that case, I've got until the 9th until my next show, a sold out ska concert with Streetlight Manifesto!

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #838 on: December 01, 2023, 03:05:55 PM »
All right, I was sweating getting a ticket for this show and was worried I wasn't able to go tomorrow, but the price fell to a range that I liked and I had a coupon on SeatGeek that I could use and I'm glad I got the ticket at the price I want.  The concert streak of me going to at least one concert a month going back to August 2021 continues on.  I may also go see Mammoth WVH the following Saturday if I can get a cheap GA ticket and safe parking as well.

Trans-Siberian Orchestra - Toyota Arena - Ontario, California.  December 2nd, 2023

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #839 on: December 13, 2023, 02:33:23 PM »
Last Saturday was 20 years to the day of the first ever Streetlight Manifesto concert and they celebrated 20 years that night at a sold out local venue for the band that was started locally. They basically play here every year at this time (sometimes back to back nights) and they played locally over the summer for "the long summer night" short tour they did, but this show was labled as "the long winter night" and was just one show. 

Also, of note, this was my 60th concert attended this year  :metal

There was one opener, Rebuilder, who is a punk band.  They were already on when I got there, and from the little I heard, I wasn't too interested.

Streetlight had the crowd going wild, as expected. But maybe it was because I tried to not be in the corner of the veneu, it certainly felt a lot louder than the last time I saw them here.  Either way, definitely one of the most energetic sets I've seen this year. The setlist was pretty good and long although sadly no new songs or deep cuts.  They played for about an hour and forty minutes which is pretty long for a ska/punk band and did 21 songs which is a few more than any previous time I've seen them.The five piece horn section sounded as good as usual.  Just can't beat the sound of everyone playing together, completely live.

Streetlight Manifesto 20th Anniversary Concert @ Sold Out Starland Ballroom Sayreville NJ 12/9/2023

3/16 We Are The Union, Catbite, Kill Lincoln

I knew someone had mentioned catbite before on this forum.  My next show may be to see them (as an opener). This is my next concert, but I'm a bit up in the air and will likely make a decision come day of:

December 17th - Bouncing Souls, 7 Seconds, Strike Anywhere, Catbite @ Starland Ballroom, Sayreville NJ

I'm leaning towards going, and if I see that show and the last one on my calendar, that will mark my last 3 shows of 2023 to be NJ bands who "made it" playing at the local NJ Starland Ballroom.  Kind of a cool little nugget for me.