Author Topic: Ozzy vs. Dio - first 2 solo albums  (Read 6379 times)

Offline nick_z

Ozzy vs. Dio - first 2 solo albums
« on: May 02, 2022, 08:29:29 AM »
Not sure if this has been done before, but I was curious to hear DTF opinions on this. I've heard many debates about Ozzy and RJD in Sabbath. Most (I think) agree RJD is the better singer, but then there are divided opinions on pretty much everything else.  Is the run of albums with Ozzy (at least through Sabotage), the only "tried and true" Black Sabbath, and no more? Are Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules at least as good, if not better Sabbath albums than anything else with Ozzy? And so on and so forth...

Instead of rehashing this debate, let's take Sabbath out of the equation and compare music from Ozzy and Dio's bands. And to limit things further, just their first two albums. I know that there's some debate and personal preferences as to whether Blizzard of Ozz/Diary of a Madman and Holy Diver/Last in Line are their overall best (maybe less controversial for Dio?), but regardless of individual rankings, I don't think it's a stretch to say they make for a relatively clean and fair comparison.

My pick is Ozzy. Holy Diver and Last in Line are both fantastic metal albums, but Ozzy's first two records sorta "transcends" the genre for me. I discovered them much earlier too, and they were an important part of my hard rock/metal initiation, so there's that too. And I get that a huge reason those albums are what they are is "beyond" Ozzy Osbourne himself and it's really about how good his band was. But what matters is they just work. So many classics in there.

Thoughts? Opinions?  :)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Ozzy vs. Dio - first 2 solo albums
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2022, 08:49:44 AM »
Dio had some fantastic hits on those first two albums.  For Ozzy, almost every track is strong.  I'm not really into either as a whole, but if asked to pick, would definitely take those first two Ozzy albums, no contest.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2022, 09:01:15 AM »
Dio had some fantastic hits on those first two albums.  For Ozzy, almost every track is strong.  I'm not really into either as a whole, but if asked to pick, would definitely take those first two Ozzy albums, no contest.

IMO, Dio trumps Ozzy in terms of vocals, lyrics, and even stage presence.

BUT, as much as I love Dio's output with Sabbath, I hold Vol. 4 and SBS in very high regard, and Ozzy gets my vote there.

Solo, it's not even close (but, I will admit only a passing familiarity with Dio's catalog other than Holy Diver).

That said, Rainbow has two of my all time favorite songs ("Man on the Silver Mountain," "Stargazer"), so that makes it much more even in my book.

Ozzy, by a hair!

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2022, 09:05:08 AM »
Ozzy, by about 6 inches (according to google).
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2022, 10:13:13 AM »
Most (I think) agree RJD is the better singer

Agree.

Is the run of albums with Ozzy (at least through Sabotage), the only "tried and true" Black Sabbath, and no more? Are Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules at least as good, if not better Sabbath albums than anything else with Ozzy?

The answer to the first question is no, and the answer to the second question is yes.  Even my favorite of the original Ozzy/Sabbath albums can't compare favorably to either H&H or Mob.  The thing of it is that all of the Ozzy/Sabbath albums have a good chunky of bluesy, sludgy doom stuff that doesn't appeal to me, while the two Dio/Sabbath albums have only two songs that come anywhere near not appealing to me.

Instead of rehashing this debate, let's take Sabbath out of the equation and compare music from Ozzy and Dio's bands. And to limit things further, just their first two albums. I know that there's some debate and personal preferences as to whether Blizzard of Ozz/Diary of a Madman and Holy Diver/Last in Line are their overall best (maybe less controversial for Dio?), but regardless of individual rankings, I don't think it's a stretch to say they make for a relatively clean and fair comparison.

My pick is Ozzy. Holy Diver and Last in Line are both fantastic metal albums, but Ozzy's first two records sorta "transcends" the genre for me. I discovered them much earlier too, and they were an important part of my hard rock/metal initiation, so there's that too. And I get that a huge reason those albums are what they are is "beyond" Ozzy Osbourne himself and it's really about how good his band was. But what matters is they just work. So many classics in there.

Thoughts? Opinions?  :)

This is a good topic, and I'm pretty sure it was discussed at some length (possibly in the Sabbath thread or maybe one of WildRanger's (RIP?) threads).  I can't remember what I discovered first, but both of Ozzy's first two albums were released before either of Dio's (the first two Ozzy albums more frequently get compared to H&H and Mob because  they were roughly contemporary).

I started listening to this sort of music sometime around or prior to the release of Holy Diver.  I'm pretty sure Speak of the Devil was my introduction to Ozzy, but that obviously didn't include any solo material.  The two Ozzy albums got no run on MTV, but Dio's Rainbow in the Dark video got a reasonable amount of airplay.  Ozzy was my first rock/metal concert (Bark at the Moon tour in April 1984), and I saw Dio on the Last in Line tour later that year.

I'm fairly sure that early/mid-'80s me was much more into Dio than Ozzy.  However, as time has moved on, I rarely reach for Holy Diver and Last in Line and much more frequently will put on Blizzard and Diary.  Diary is unquestionably the best of the four, and the other three are pretty even, but Dio's stuff now feels a bit like entry-level metal.  I'd probably rank the songs on the four albums as follows:

Diary of a Madman
S.A.T.O.

Revelation (Mother Earth)
Over the Mountain
Steal Away (The Night)
Caught in the Middle
I Speed at Night
Don’t Talk to Strangers
You Can’t Kill Rock and Roll
Evil Eyes
Rainbow in the Dark
Stand up and Shout

Mr. Crowley
Holy Diver
Crazy Train
We Rock
Mystery
One Night in the City

Flying High Again
The Last in Line
Invisible
Gypsy

Breathless
Suicide Solution
Straight Through the Heart
Believer
I Don’t Know
Little Dolls
Tonight

Shame on the Night
Egypt (The Chains Are On)
Eat Your Heart Out

No Bone Movies
Goodbye to Romance
Dee

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2022, 10:59:11 AM »
I'll rate the songs tomorrow, but I remember talking about this once before:

Holy Diver > Blizzard Of Ozz (by a little bit)
Diary >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>  Last In Line (by a whole lot more).   

Diary is one of my top ten all time favorite albums.  It's more or less perfect.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2022, 01:10:43 PM »

Diary is one of my top ten all time favorite albums.  It's more or less perfect.

Might be a few too many >>>, but I generally agree.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2022, 01:11:55 PM »
1. Holy Diver
2. Diary Of A Madman
3. Blizzard Of Ozz
4. Last In Line
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline emtee

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2022, 01:34:26 PM »
Dio for me. 4 great albums though that have stood the test of time.

Offline HOF

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2022, 02:48:37 PM »
RJD over Ozzy in general. Don’t have a strong opinion on any of the albums.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2022, 03:24:01 PM »
Jesus, this is tough.  I think I'd go Ozzy's albums.......just. 

.....actually, Holy Diver might be the best out of all four.....

.......I still think Ozzys two collectively just beat Dio's.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online The Realm

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2022, 04:35:41 PM »
Diary is a top 10, maybe top 5 album all time for me. But I also love Blizzard, both these albums are pretty special to me and my discovery of music in the 80s. Iron Maiden was my first love but solo Ozzy wasn't far after. I didn't really get into solo Dio until a bit later and I think Holy Diver is a much stronger album than Last in Line.

As far as Ozzy v Dio goes, well of course Dio was the better singer but I've always had a soft spot for Ozzy so for me the gap isn't too far apart.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2022, 05:25:17 PM »

I started listening to this sort of music sometime around or prior to the release of Holy Diver.  I'm pretty sure Speak of the Devil was my introduction to Ozzy, but that obviously didn't include any solo material.  The two Ozzy albums got no run on MTV, but Dio's Rainbow in the Dark video got a reasonable amount of airplay.  Ozzy was my first rock/metal concert (Bark at the Moon tour in April 1984), and I saw Dio on the Last in Line tour later that year.

Ha! This is interesting - I wouldn't have guessed. I thought Ozzy would be more "known" outside of the more strictly hard rock/metal crowd, if anything because he was more of a crazy character (although maybe his more noteworthy shenanigans - including bat-biting and such - started later?). Dio always struck me as a more "metal" figure, cliches and all. I suppose his profile was generally higher at the time, as opposed to late 70/early 80s Ozzy, who had just been fired from Sabbath and all of that...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2022, 05:37:55 PM »

Ha! This is interesting - I wouldn't have guessed. I thought Ozzy would be more "known" outside of the more strictly hard rock/metal crowd, if anything because he was more of a crazy character (although maybe his more noteworthy shenanigans - including bat-biting and such - started later?). Dio always struck me as a more "metal" figure, cliches and all. I suppose his profile was generally higher at the time, as opposed to late 70/early 80s Ozzy, who had just been fired from Sabbath and all of that...

Dio's profile wasn't higher I would say. Ozzy was definitely more well known from what I remember. A lot happened from 1981-1984 and it happened fast. Ozzy definitely had a much higher profile.

Paul, I remember that Ozzy tour. They played in Worcester, and it was just too far for me to go, and my father was not keen on Ozzy. I loved Waysted who were third on the bill.
I also saw the Last In Line tour, but in Providence.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nick_z

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2022, 05:53:20 PM »

Dio's profile wasn't higher I would say. Ozzy was definitely more well known from what I remember. A lot happened from 1981-1984 and it happened fast. Ozzy definitely had a much higher profile.

That was my guess too - which is why I was surprised to hear there was more MTV airplay for Dio. Was it specifically for Rainbow in the Dark, or more than that?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2022, 05:57:16 PM »
Rainbow In The Dark was definitely played on MTV, but so was Bark At The Moon. But then Dio released Last In Line within a year, so there was the Last In Line video. That was quite popular. But Dio at the time was never as well known as Ozzy. Ozzy was on another level of fame.

Obviously in 1986, Shot In The Dark was in heavy rotation.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2022, 07:02:14 PM »
I have pretty much grown to despise Ozzy(tm) and everything he stands for.  He just always seems to be to be a character with no talent who always managed to surround himself with extremely talented people (I suppose if “standing next to the most talented guy in the room” was a talent of its own, Ozzy(tm) wins.)

That being said, his first two solo albums are probably the greatest two hard rock albums of the early 80s.  Thanks to Rhoads, Kerslake, and Daily…we got two bona fide classics.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2022, 07:04:31 PM »
I hear ya, Ben, but Ozzy has such a distinct voice. Yes, he was quite lucky to have the musicians around him that he did.

Online The Realm

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2022, 07:58:14 PM »
I have pretty much grown to despise Ozzy(tm) and everything he stands for.  He just always seems to be to be a character with no talent who always managed to surround himself with extremely talented people (I suppose if “standing next to the most talented guy in the room” was a talent of its own, Ozzy(tm) wins.)

That being said, his first two solo albums are probably the greatest two hard rock albums of the early 80s.  Thanks to Rhoads, Kerslake, and Daily…we got two bona fide classics.

Each to their own, but I think to call Ozzy a character with no talent is pretty harsh. I really don't think you can get to where Ozzy has got to by having no talent.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2022, 08:08:13 PM »

This isn't about Ozzy vs. Dio.

This is their albums. For me, Ozzy by a bats wing span.  All 4 albums are excellent. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jammindude

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2022, 08:37:24 PM »

Each to their own, but I think to call Ozzy a character with no talent is pretty harsh. I really don't think you can get to where Ozzy has got to by having no talent.

You can if you surround yourself with talent and get a really good manager.  :rollin :rollin

Online The Realm

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2022, 09:52:51 PM »
haha!! Yes you are right, it is having such a great manager that makes all the difference!  :)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2022, 10:06:46 PM »
haha!! Yes you are right, it is having such a great manager that makes all the difference!  :)

PR is everything.  ;)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2022, 10:38:04 PM »
It's incredible how many opinions we're getting on a variety of topics despite the incredibly precise subject.  It's not the first four Sabbath albums vs Rising through Diver.  :lol

Like PG I'm pretty cool with is while questioning the number of >>>>. I'm not sure I'd put HD above Blizzard, but it's reasonable to do so. Diary is so far above the other three to render the subject moot, though. That was a total band effort of the sort that Dio hadn't gotten since Rainbow.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2022, 03:18:59 AM »

I think he has a huge talent, for ripping other other artists and taking credit for songs he didn't/couldn't write.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2022, 07:04:46 AM »

I think he has a huge talent, for ripping other other artists and taking credit for songs he didn't/couldn't write.

Nailed it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2022, 08:34:25 AM »

Yeah, I disagree with that as well.   He didn't take care of his voice, there's no question about that, but if anything, I think he's underrated as a vocalist.  Sure, he has a distinct tone, but IMO, I'll take that any day over the more generic gravelly tone of Dio.  I love Dio, don't get me wrong, and Holy Diver was an eye-opening experience (as was Heaven And Hell) but as much as he might be a "better singer" than Ozzy, just listen to him butcher the Ozzy songs on Live Evil.  I think those mid-period records - I'll say, Vol. 4 through at least Sabotage - Ozzy was every bit an integral player in the Sabbath sound.   Even his early solo albums, there is real singing on there; Crazy Train, YCKRNR, S.A.T.O....

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2022, 08:42:21 AM »

Yeah, I disagree with that as well.   He didn't take care of his voice, there's no question about that, but if anything, I think he's underrated as a vocalist.  Sure, he has a distinct tone, but IMO, I'll take that any day over the more generic gravelly tone of Dio.  I love Dio, don't get me wrong, and Holy Diver was an eye-opening experience (as was Heaven And Hell) but as much as he might be a "better singer" than Ozzy, just listen to him butcher the Ozzy songs on Live Evil.  I think those mid-period records - I'll say, Vol. 4 through at least Sabotage - Ozzy was every bit an integral player in the Sabbath sound.   Even his early solo albums, there is real singing on there; Crazy Train, YCKRNR, S.A.T.O....
In fairness, even more talented singers than Dio sang Ozzy's stuff poorly. The only Sabbath singer to really do Ozzy right was Ray Gillen. Ozzy had a unique style that people had a hard time copying.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2022, 08:45:18 AM »
Fair enough.   

The only time I didn't like Ozzy's singing was when he used that sort of cute-sy, "sing-song-y" voice (think "Crazy... Babies...")

Offline pg1067

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2022, 09:51:15 AM »

I can't speak with personal knowledge about '81-'82.  I didn't really start listening to this sort of music until after Rhoads had died.  That said, Ozzy didn't have any videos for the songs on the first two albums, which were released in '80 and '81.  Dio, on the other hand, did have videos for songs on Holy Diver and Last in Line, but that's not surprising since those albums were released in '83 and '84.  When I started listening, Ozzy was sort of this mythic figure.  Somewhere along the way, I heard the dove and bat stories ('81 and '82 respectively), but that's really all I knew until Bark at the Moon was released in late 1983.

Ozzy as my first concert was definitely an eye-opener to a relatively sheltered 16yo me!

Rainbow In The Dark was definitely played on MTV, but so was Bark At The Moon. But then Dio released Last In Line within a year, so there was the Last In Line video. That was quite popular. But Dio at the time was never as well known as Ozzy. Ozzy was on another level of fame.

Obviously in 1986, Shot In The Dark was in heavy rotation.

That's the thing.  Holy Diver/Last in Line and Blizzard/Diary don't really line up.  The timeline is

April 1980 - Heaven and Hell
September 1980 (UK)/March 1981 (US) - Blizzard of Ozz
November 4, 1981 - Mob Rules
November 7, 1981 - Diary of a Madman
November 1982 - Speak of the Devil
December 1982 - Live Evil
May 1983 - Holy Diver
November 1983 - Bark at the Moon
July 1984 - The Last in Line
August 1985 - Sacred Heart
February 1986 - The Ultimate Sin

The Dio albums all had videos on MTV.  Ozzy didn't start getting played on MTV until Bark, which was contemporary with the first two Dio albums.  Ozzy's trajectory was rising in this time (with the obvious bump in the road that was Rhoads's death).  As much as I loved his singing and persona, Dio's trajectory after Holy Diver was decidedly downward.

Like you mentioned, a LOT of stuff happened -- and happened fast -- in the first half of the '80s.  The gap between the first two Ozzy albums and the first two Dio albums, while seemingly small in retrospect, seemed like a lifetime at the time.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2022, 10:18:28 AM »

Like you mentioned, a LOT of stuff happened -- and happened fast -- in the first half of the '80s.  The gap between the first two Ozzy albums and the first two Dio albums, while seemingly small in retrospect, seemed like a lifetime at the time.

I WAS there in '81, '82 and can vouch for all of this.  I even remember where I was when I heard Randy died; I was at Steve's Diner in Shelton, CT with my family and we were reading the Daily News.  I was 14-ish.   I was already a fan of Ozzy Sabbath (Vol. 4 on cassette was a MAINSTAY) and loved the first two solo albums.   Dio didn't register with me until a year or two later, and as good as Holy Diver was (it's a seminal record) it's the clear highpoint of Dio's solo career.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2022, 12:21:25 PM »

I WAS there in '81, '82 and can vouch for all of this.  I even remember where I was when I heard Randy died; I was at Steve's Diner in Shelton, CT with my family and we were reading the Daily News.  I was 14-ish.   I was already a fan of Ozzy Sabbath (Vol. 4 on cassette was a MAINSTAY) and loved the first two solo albums.   Dio didn't register with me until a year or two later, and as good as Holy Diver was (it's a seminal record) it's the clear highpoint of Dio's solo career.

I was at Midland Records at the North Dartmouth(Ma) mall that Friday night and some people were talking about it.

I do remember MTV playing what would become the Speak Of The Devil DVD, with Brad Gilis during their Saturday night concerts.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2022, 01:58:45 PM »

Live Evil was the first Sabbath album I ever heard back in 1983, I'd never heard any Ozzy era stuff, so to me those songs that Dio allegedly 'butchered' sounded great, particularly NIB.
When I think of BS it's Dio or Martin, can't stand any Ozzy stuff, and as I've grown older his less than ethical business practices have left a permanent black mark against his name.
He gets away with it because Sharon gets blamed for all his misdemeanours, but in my eyes he is just as guilty for all the stuff that has happened in the past.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2022, 03:12:35 PM »

Dio did some of the same stuff, like screwing over Viv.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2022, 03:41:55 PM »
Dream Team is absolutely correct. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC