Author Topic: Ozzy vs. Dio - first 2 solo albums  (Read 6381 times)

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
Re: Ozzy vs. Dio - first 2 solo albums
« Reply #140 on: May 16, 2022, 03:54:54 PM »
12 years without Dio...

Rest in peace, Maestro.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #141 on: May 18, 2022, 07:47:33 AM »
Excellent take. And “scared” is just an ambivalent observation.  Looking back now as a completely different human being, I’m not even sure how I feel about it. I was raised in an extremely conservative household and bands like Slayer, Venom and Merciful Fate scared the crap out of me at first, but then I turned a corner where I found humor in other people’s shock and horror. And I know I wasn’t alone. There was a general subculture of the time that lasted into the early 90s that revolved around finding sport in upsetting others. Think of all the “shock” entertainment (not just music, but TV, comedy, movies etc etc) that was born out of that. Heck, at one time I was one of world’s biggest Andrew Dice Clay fans. But when I got into my mid 20s I just didn’t like who I had become as a person at all. Then I did a complete 180.

Long story short, there can be a certain rush in scaring or upsetting others, but it’s often born out of a feeling of powerlessness and wanting to feel some sort of control. Seems silly in retrospect, but it was just…something that was.

See, that's a good post.  And with a few exceptions - Sasha Baron Cohen, Ricky Gervais - I generally dislike the "finding sport in upsetting others".  I don't really have that gene when it comes to things like music and art.  I didn't listen to Ozzy or Maiden to piss off my parents; I LOVED my parents and shared a love of music with them (they liked country).   I just went with my gut; I saw music touch my mom, and dad, and especially my aunt (she had like 5,000 LPs when she died) and I wanted to feel that way too.  That's why even then I loved Billy Joel as much as Kiss.  I actually DIDN'T like the more extreme music because I thought it was cutting off their noses to spite their faces.  Why try to ALIENATE the people you're playing for?  I never followed that line of reasoning.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #142 on: July 12, 2022, 04:00:43 AM »
I posted this interview on the Black Sabbath thread, but it got ZERO traction, so I thought I should post it somewhere else in DTF. I spoke with Vinnie Appice last week about the reissue of Holy Diver, in celebration of what would be Dio's 80th birthday. We spoke about his time in Sabbath, the Dio versus Ozzy comparison, the fact that he was playing with Dio while his brother Carmine was playing with Ozzy, and the plans that the band had to record something with Rob Halford on two different occasions. Check it out!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPMSr2YVYdc&t=872s

Online pg1067

« Reply #143 on: July 12, 2022, 10:33:06 AM »
I posted this interview on the Black Sabbath thread, but it got ZERO traction, so I thought I should post it somewhere else in DTF. I spoke with Vinnie Appice last week about the reissue of Holy Diver, in celebration of what would be Dio's 80th birthday. We spoke about his time in Sabbath, the Dio versus Ozzy comparison, the fact that he was playing with Dio while his brother Carmine was playing with Ozzy, and the plans that the band had to record something with Rob Halford on two different occasions. Check it out!!!

Is this intentionally cued up to the 14:33 mark?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: July 12, 2022, 10:35:30 AM »
I'm watching it now.  He's a cool guy; my friend Jim and I got to chat with him (and his wife/girlfriend) after a Last In Line show and even walked him out to his car. He was very chill.

EDIT:  I didn't know that Bill Ward started the material on The Dio Years; Vinnie's story that they couldn't finish the material with Ward (a similar experience to the two songs on Reunion) and he came in sheds a different light on the later discrepancy about Bill's "unsignable contract".  Yet again, the trouble with seeing things from the outside and not knowing the day-to-day details.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 11:10:56 AM by Stadler »

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #145 on: July 12, 2022, 01:54:29 PM »

Is this intentionally cued up to the 14:33 mark?

No, for some YouTube now maintains the time stamp when we post links that we have been watching.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #146 on: July 12, 2022, 11:31:30 PM »
I'm months late to the original post, but wanted to chime in.

Man...good topic, and tough to do. But as complete albums, I'm split. I'd take Holy Diver over Blizzard of Ozz. I just think it's slightly ahead of it in terms of songwriting and performance. But it's SO close. Last in Line vs. Diary of a Madman....again, SO close. But I am clearer that Diary is better.

BUT, because I am much more clear that Diary is better than Last in Line, I think that swings me to Ozzy by an absolute hair. I favor Dio as a singer by a mile. But comparing just these first two solo albums, I have to give that thinnest of edge to Ozzy.

Great OP.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Order at www.roadstomadness.com/book.html!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #147 on: July 13, 2022, 12:31:25 PM »

It took a bit to get going, but it settled into a great conversation. Nice job Rodrigo!
And thank you for getting my question in.

Here's a shot of Vinnie high above Ronnie!

June 18, 1986
Providence Civic Center

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #148 on: July 13, 2022, 01:01:35 PM »

It took a bit to get going, but it settled into a great conversation. Nice job Rodrigo!
And thank you for getting my question in.

Here's a shot of Vinnie high above Ronnie!

June 18, 1986
Providence Civic Center

Thanks man! Yeah, a lot of interviews are like that...either the interviewee or myself take a while to get into it. But I really liked his statements about Halford. I didn't know they intended to collaborate. And what he said about Rick Rubin really shows how the music business works. It's all about who you know and whose ass you kiss.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #149 on: July 13, 2022, 01:13:40 PM »
June 18, 1986
Providence Civic Center

You win this round, but it's close, I think.

Also, fuck photobucket.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #150 on: July 13, 2022, 03:33:40 PM »
 :metal :metal :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: July 14, 2022, 07:38:03 AM »
I'm kind of picturing Ronnie himself, in that last picture, saying "Fuck Photobucket!"  :) :) :)

Offline Volante99

« Reply #152 on: July 17, 2022, 06:08:36 AM »

Speaking of The Ultimate Sin, was this an official release on VHS or something?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yS3Dv9Nef8

Ozzy’s blue sparkly robe aside, “Ultimate Ozzy” was my gateway into the world of metal and turned me into a fan ever since. I rented the VHS (coincidentally around the same time I started playing guitar) as kid and my mind was blown. Watching Jake E. Lee perform “Killer of Giants” in total darkness with just the spotlight on him left a definite impression on me- I never knew metal could also be beautiful and melodic.

Years later, I bought myself the replica Blueburst Charvel that Jake used extensively on that tour:
Fun fact; my guitar was previously owned by Mike Stone, current guitarist in Queensryche.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 08:27:24 AM by Volante99 »