Author Topic: Ozzy vs. Dio - first 2 solo albums  (Read 6380 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Ozzy vs. Dio - first 2 solo albums
« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2022, 06:24:43 AM »
Again I'll ask the question that the above posters have conveniently not answered:
Name another artist who has not only screwed previous members out of royalties, but to the extend of removing them from re-issues
by replacing their playing with another musician, with the sole purpose of screwing them over?

Your telling that Ozzy didn't agreed to this, or had no part, and didn't 'sign' off on this?

One, he claims he didn't know.  I have no reason to not believe him.

Two, to you this is a big deal.  To me it's not.  The musicians were paid.

Three, MANY bands have done this.  Kiss, Def Leppard, Iron Maiden, Whitesnake, Tony Iommi, Little River Band, Journey, and Taylor Swift have all in one form or another re-recorded all or parts of songs with either the intent or by-product of removing people from their work.  Whether it's "with the sole purpose of screwing" anyone over, I can't tell you, I'm not in their head.  Certainly, Kiss re-recording Eric Carr's vocal over the music for "Beth" is if not for the purpose of screwing Peter Criss over, has the effect of doing so.

One:  Eh, I'm not so sure about that.  I think the jury's still out on that one.  Regardless, for something like this, it's his name on the band.  Ultimately, the buck stops with him in terms of allowing it to happen or, at the very least, for making it right after the fact, which he had plenty of opportunity to do at several junctures.

Two:  Not true at all.  That was the point and why those other guys were so upset.  They didn't get paid.

Rightly or wrongly, it's always been my impression that Daisley was paid, he was just pissed about the AMOUNT and wanted more.  He was PAID a lump sum for the lyrics on Bark At The Moon, for example, and as part of that payment it was understood that he wouldn't get writing credit.   I'm with you (Bosk specifically, the group generally) when it's a concealment, but when the discussion is had and an agreement is made - even if the leverage isn't equal - I'm less understanding.  Jake might have been a neophyte, but Bob Daisley, circa 1983, was no novice to the game.

Three:  Largely irrelevant, and I'm not sure you are accurate on all counts there either.  I have no knowledge of Def Lep doing that, and I have followed them for years.  What are you specifically referring to?  If you mean the remixes of Bringin on the Heartbreak and Me and My Wine on the 1984 High 'n' Dry reissue, that's not really the same thing.  The original album was presented, in full, with the original musicians.  The two remixes were bonus songs that were, in effect, new versions of the songs (in addition to adding Phil Collen on guitar instead of Pete Willis, they added synths and some other changes) that were given in addition to the original versions, not in place of them.  That's applies to oranges in terms of replacing the originals with a same version with different band members and/or retroactively removing bandmembers from the credits.  Or were you referring to something else?

Not sure about many of the other examples you mention, with the exception of Kiss and Journey, and I'm not sure how either of those help your case.  Both bands caught flak from the music community and fans for doing that, and both are pretty widely regarded as being douchbag moves to either "scrub the record" of prior bandmembers' involvement or replace prior bandmembers' contributions or both.  In neither case is it something to be admired or that should give Ozzy a pass for allowing something similar.  Rather, it just goes to show that he isn't the only jerk out there.

Kiss:  they have both scrubbed members from their tracks - the aforementioned Beth - and they've outright re-recorded a whole disk worth of songs in the studio with Tommy and Eric (Singer) (it was a free bonus with the Sonic Boom release).  We didn't mention this yet, but they have also refused to update their RIAA sales figures for most of their albums, the net effect being that the original members (and some of the production staff) get less or no royalties for those releases.

Def Leppard: I am not talking about the BOTH/MAMW remixes.  In 2012 or so, they re-recorded a number of their songs in order to avoid paying their label (and by extension, previous bandmembers) for the use of those tracks.  Two of them were released as digital downloads, and the plan was (I don't know if it was followed through on) to re-record the entire catalogue.  This is an especially sticky point for Leppard, because in doing so they are ostensibly cutting out the estate of Steve Clark, unless a side deal was cut (there is still publishing).

Iron Maiden: Not a huge deal, but they have done I think four or so of the Di'Anno songs with Dickinson in the studio.

Whitesnake:  Over the years there have been various events like this; Neal Murray was scrubbed from some tracks; when John Sykes joined, they redid a couple of older tracks, and there are a couple different mixes out there of at least two of their records.

Tony Iommi:  He famously had a set of tapes called the "DEP Sessions", with Glenn Hughes and Dave Holland (ex-Priest).  When Holland was accused and convicted of diddling one of his drum students, Iommi wiped the drum tracks entirely and re-recorded them with... I forget who.

Little River Band: released a version of their Greatest Hits with all new vocalists, in part a reaction to legal difficulties with former members (particularly Glenn Shorrock, Goble (can't remember his first name) and a third guy (I want to say Blake Bortles, but that might be an NFL QB).

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #71 on: May 05, 2022, 08:38:32 AM »
Again I'll ask the question that the above posters have conveniently not answered:
Name another artist who has not only screwed previous members out of royalties, but to the extend of removing them from re-issues
by replacing their playing with another musician, with the sole purpose of screwing them over?

Your telling that Ozzy didn't agreed to this, or had no part, and didn't 'sign' off on this?

One, he claims he didn't know.  I have no reason to not believe him.

Two, to you this is a big deal.  To me it's not.  The musicians were paid.

Three, MANY bands have done this.  Kiss, Def Leppard, Iron Maiden, Whitesnake, Tony Iommi, Little River Band, Journey, and Taylor Swift have all in one form or another re-recorded all or parts of songs with either the intent or by-product of removing people from their work.  Whether it's "with the sole purpose of screwing" anyone over, I can't tell you, I'm not in their head.  Certainly, Kiss re-recording Eric Carr's vocal over the music for "Beth" is if not for the purpose of screwing Peter Criss over, has the effect of doing so.

One:  Eh, I'm not so sure about that.  I think the jury's still out on that one.  Regardless, for something like this, it's his name on the band.  Ultimately, the buck stops with him in terms of allowing it to happen or, at the very least, for making it right after the fact, which he had plenty of opportunity to do at several junctures.

Two:  Not true at all.  That was the point and why those other guys were so upset.  They didn't get paid.

Rightly or wrongly, it's always been my impression that Daisley was paid, he was just pissed about the AMOUNT and wanted more.  He was PAID a lump sum for the lyrics on Bark At The Moon, for example, and as part of that payment it was understood that he wouldn't get writing credit.   I'm with you (Bosk specifically, the group generally) when it's a concealment, but when the discussion is had and an agreement is made - even if the leverage isn't equal - I'm less understanding.  Jake might have been a neophyte, but Bob Daisley, circa 1983, was no novice to the game.

Three:  Largely irrelevant, and I'm not sure you are accurate on all counts there either.  I have no knowledge of Def Lep doing that, and I have followed them for years.  What are you specifically referring to?  If you mean the remixes of Bringin on the Heartbreak and Me and My Wine on the 1984 High 'n' Dry reissue, that's not really the same thing.  The original album was presented, in full, with the original musicians.  The two remixes were bonus songs that were, in effect, new versions of the songs (in addition to adding Phil Collen on guitar instead of Pete Willis, they added synths and some other changes) that were given in addition to the original versions, not in place of them.  That's applies to oranges in terms of replacing the originals with a same version with different band members and/or retroactively removing bandmembers from the credits.  Or were you referring to something else?

Not sure about many of the other examples you mention, with the exception of Kiss and Journey, and I'm not sure how either of those help your case.  Both bands caught flak from the music community and fans for doing that, and both are pretty widely regarded as being douchbag moves to either "scrub the record" of prior bandmembers' involvement or replace prior bandmembers' contributions or both.  In neither case is it something to be admired or that should give Ozzy a pass for allowing something similar.  Rather, it just goes to show that he isn't the only jerk out there.

Kiss:  they have both scrubbed members from their tracks - the aforementioned Beth - and they've outright re-recorded a whole disk worth of songs in the studio with Tommy and Eric (Singer) (it was a free bonus with the Sonic Boom release).  We didn't mention this yet, but they have also refused to update their RIAA sales figures for most of their albums, the net effect being that the original members (and some of the production staff) get less or no royalties for those releases.

Def Leppard: I am not talking about the BOTH/MAMW remixes.  In 2012 or so, they re-recorded a number of their songs in order to avoid paying their label (and by extension, previous bandmembers) for the use of those tracks.  Two of them were released as digital downloads, and the plan was (I don't know if it was followed through on) to re-record the entire catalogue.  This is an especially sticky point for Leppard, because in doing so they are ostensibly cutting out the estate of Steve Clark, unless a side deal was cut (there is still publishing).

Iron Maiden: Not a huge deal, but they have done I think four or so of the Di'Anno songs with Dickinson in the studio.

Whitesnake:  Over the years there have been various events like this; Neal Murray was scrubbed from some tracks; when John Sykes joined, they redid a couple of older tracks, and there are a couple different mixes out there of at least two of their records.

Tony Iommi:  He famously had a set of tapes called the "DEP Sessions", with Glenn Hughes and Dave Holland (ex-Priest).  When Holland was accused and convicted of diddling one of his drum students, Iommi wiped the drum tracks entirely and re-recorded them with... I forget who.

Little River Band: released a version of their Greatest Hits with all new vocalists, in part a reaction to legal difficulties with former members (particularly Glenn Shorrock, Goble (can't remember his first name) and a third guy (I want to say Blake Bortles, but that might be an NFL QB).

Sadler, you tell a good 'story' but hear are the facts:

Whitesnake - Neil Murray (bass), along with John Sykes and Bill Cuomo (keys) overdubbed tracks on to the US version of the 'Slide It In' album. However the album's original UK mix musicians are still credited in the CD booklet. Murray subsequently played bass on the self titled or 1987 album. TTBOMK has not had any of his bass tracks scrubbed from that album. Though the US radio version of 'Here I Go Again' may have a different bass player.

Tony Iommi - The 1996 DEP sessions were never officially released with DH on it, it was bootlegged for a few years, but when it came time for an official release Iommi replaced his original drums tracks with new one's played by Jimmy Copley, and quite rightly too, to avoid having a convicted sex offender on this much anticipated album.

As for Bob Daisely, I'll re-read his book this weekend and post more about it.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #72 on: May 05, 2022, 09:05:09 AM »
I think the more important distinction is that none of those guys were specifically trying to erase other members from the historical catalogue. You can still buy Slide it In and Saints and Sinners to hear the [far superior] versions of those songs. Same with Killers and S/T. They released those songs with Bruce because they could and it was interesting. The analogy in this case would be if they replaced Clive's drumming on Number, changed the album artwork, and quit producing the original versions. One is offering a supplementary product, and the other is trying to alter history.

That said, you are right about one thing. Daisley had been around the block. He should have known what he was getting into.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #73 on: May 05, 2022, 09:43:45 AM »
I think the more important distinction is that none of those guys were specifically trying to erase other members from the historical catalogue. You can still buy Slide it In and Saints and Sinners to hear the [far superior] versions of those songs. Same with Killers and S/T. They released those songs with Bruce because they could and it was interesting. The analogy in this case would be if they replaced Clive's drumming on Number, changed the album artwork, and quit producing the original versions. One is offering a supplementary product, and the other is trying to alter history.

Exactly my point, but stated in that direct way that only El Barto can muster. 

That said, I think there are still plenty of examples of "offering a supplementary product" that are still solid examples of bandleaders being jerks.  One that we didn't discuss that is a good example of that to me is Journey's first album with Arnel Pineda including a bonus disk with a re-recorded version of their greatest hits disk with Arnel on vocals on all the classics.  The original Greatest Hits album is still available (or was, anyway--I haven't looked in awhile).  But still, it just seemed like an obvious middle finger to Perry, even if it likely doesn't impact him financially by even a penny.  And given Schon's (and Cain's) history of pettiness and willingness to backstab, it fits.  And all of that goes back to my bigger point on the subject, that just because a lot of musicians do it doesn't somehow absolve them from being jerks (or, more specifically, absolve Ozzy).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: May 05, 2022, 10:05:17 AM »
And I guess as a general proposition, I'm not so quick to make these value judgments.  I notice that no one is really focusing on the Kiss and Def Leppard re-recordings, and I can only assume that that's because it's giving the middle finger to the record companies.

As far as I can suss out, the hierarchy is:

Individual musicians
Groups of musicians
Business managers
Used car salesmen
Beelzebub's minions
Record companies and their executives
Beelzebub
Sharon Osbourne

As long as you screw down, you're good.  Screw up and you're a douche.  :) :) :) :)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #75 on: May 05, 2022, 10:13:43 AM »
I notice that no one is really focusing on the Kiss and Def Leppard re-recordings, and I can only assume that that's because it's giving the middle finger to the record companies.

No, not really.  As I said, I just don't know much about those two situations.  As for Kiss, as I said, I know Gene and Paul can be jerks, so if they did something to screw over prior bandmates, that would support my point.

As for Def Lep, I need to dig into that more.  I don't know anything about the 2012 digital re-recordings.  As far as I know, they entire catalogs were not redone, and I don't know that anyone was scrubbed from the recordings to, as Barto put it, rewrite history.  Even if there were re-recordings, as far as I know, the originals are still available.  So I'm not really sure what, if anything, is going on with that.  And it seems odd that they would try to cut Clark's estate out of anything, since they were all really tight with Clark and, by all counts, loved the guy.  That said, maybe there was something that happened after the fact with his estate that created bad blood?  Maybe a situation where the band felt that the estate was overreaching and that Clark's family were trying to get a bigger piece of the pie than they should have?  Dunno.  Stuff like that happens.  But, again, I just don't know anything at all about that situation, so I can't comment on it.  Not to mention that, unlike Kiss for example, I like Def Lep, so I'm more willing to turn a fanboy hypocritical blind eye and give them a pass on stuff I normally don't like.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #76 on: May 05, 2022, 10:14:24 AM »
It's incredible how many opinions we're getting on a variety of topics despite the incredibly precise subject.

Oh, you mean how the OP intended this to be album comparisons between 2 artists and it quickly turned into the Ozzy and Sharon shit show?  Now it's completely off the rails with how band members are jerks for trying to screw each other out of credits and royalties.  Whatever.

:clap:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline nick_z

« Reply #77 on: May 05, 2022, 12:23:11 PM »
It's incredible how many opinions we're getting on a variety of topics despite the incredibly precise subject.

Oh, you mean how the OP intended this to be album comparisons between 2 artists and it quickly turned into the Ozzy and Sharon shit show?  Now it's completely off the rails with how band members are jerks for trying to screw each other out of credits and royalties.  Whatever.

:clap:

:lol 

It’s ok. It happens :) we did get some genuine, on-topic opinions too.

And some metal history/gossip can be fun…

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: May 05, 2022, 02:19:30 PM »
I'll bring it back around....

1   Tonight
2   You Can’t Kill Rock And Roll
3   Diary Of A Madman

4   Revelation (Mother Earth)
5   Don’t Talk To Strangers
6   The Last In Line
7   S.A.T.O.
8   Flying High Again

9   Steal Away (The Night)
10   Holy Diver
11   Crazy Train
12   Caught In The Middle
13   Stand Up And Shout
14   Gypsy

15   Egypt (The Chains Are On)
16   Little Dolls
17   Invisible
18   Rainbow In The Dark
19   Straight Through The Heart

20   I Don’t Know
21   Goodbye To Romance
22   No Bone Movies

23   Shame On The Night
24   Mr. Crowley
25   Mystery
26   Eat Your Heart Out

27   Believer
28   One Night In The City
29   Over The Mountain
30   Evil Eyes
31   We Rock
32   Breathless

33   Dee
34   Suicide Solution
35   I Speed at Night

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #79 on: May 05, 2022, 02:35:52 PM »
Played Steal Away (The Night) at a battle of the bands when I was 18. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #80 on: May 05, 2022, 03:06:37 PM »
1   Diary Of A Madman
2   Don't Talk To Strangers
3   Mr. Crowley
4   Over The Mountain
5   You Can't Kill Rock And Roll

6   The Last In Line
7   Holy Diver
8   Shame On The Night
9   Stand Up And Shout

10   We Rock
11   Crazy Train
12   S.A.T.O.
13   Rainbow In The Dark
14   Believer
15   Revelation (Mother Earth)
16   Straight Through The Heart
17   Egypt (The Chains Are On)
18   I Don't Know
19   Flying High Again
20   Steal Away (The Night)
21   Gypsy
22   I Speed at Night
23   One Night In The City

24   Tonight
25   Evil Eyes
26   Breathless

27   Caught In The Middle
28   Invisible

29   Goodbye To Romance
30   Suicide Solution

31   Little Dolls
32   Mystery
33   No Bone Movies
34   Dee

35   Eat Your Heart Out
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 03:41:17 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #81 on: May 05, 2022, 03:59:02 PM »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #82 on: May 05, 2022, 04:51:30 PM »
A few years old, but an excellent interview with Max Norman about recording Blizzard, Diary, and BATM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlFnmNf1pNc
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Realm

« Reply #83 on: May 05, 2022, 07:14:26 PM »
A whole ranking of songs on the 4 albums would take me a while but I know I would at least have the following Ozzy songs before any Dio songs then I would at probably at least get Holy Diver and Don't Talk to Strangers in there before any more Ozzy songs.

Diary of a Madman
Mr Crowley
Revelation (Mother Earth)
Believer
Over the Mountain
Crazy Train
S.A.T.O

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #84 on: May 05, 2022, 07:51:31 PM »
I ain't gonna lie. If I need an Ozzy fix, I reach for Bark At The Moon before Diary or Blizzard.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #85 on: May 05, 2022, 07:57:59 PM »
I ain't gonna lie. If I need an Ozzy fix, I reach for Bark At The Moon before Diary or Blizzard.

Really? I am surprised by that. Bark At The Moon has a couple of great songs but a few pretty average ones. Diary is a top 10 album all time for me and I also rate Blizzard up there. I guess it is partly nostalgia and my love for Randy Rhoads but those first couple of Ozzy albums and the Randy Rhoads Tribute album were a massive part of my early music development. Iron Maiden was my first love but early solo Ozzy wasn't far behind. Bark at the Moon overall was a let down, but the song itself rules.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #86 on: May 05, 2022, 08:03:53 PM »
So, this has really been a late in life revelation. I love the first two albums, but I have to say that I just find Bark At The Moon easier on the ears across the board. My favorite Ozzy sing is Diary Of A Madman, but my second fave is Waiting For Darkness.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #87 on: May 05, 2022, 08:14:17 PM »
So, this has really been a late in life revelation. I love the first two albums, but I have to say that I just find Bark At The Moon easier on the ears across the board. My favorite Ozzy sing is Diary Of A Madman, but my second fave is Waiting For Darkness.

We talked about this not long ago but, again, YES to this. Amazing, amazing song.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #88 on: May 05, 2022, 08:24:58 PM »
And I love the beginning to Rock n Roll Rebel. Love Tommy's cymbal work.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #89 on: May 05, 2022, 08:43:46 PM »
Yeah, that is cool. We did previously discuss Waiting for Darkness, agree it is a classic Ozzy song.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #90 on: May 05, 2022, 08:48:10 PM »

I was so disappointed with BATM. Thankfully he rebounded with The Ultimate Sin.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #91 on: May 05, 2022, 11:56:44 PM »
I'm kinda with TAC.  Bark at the Moon is my favorite album.  I grew tired/disgusted with Ozzy and barely ever want to listen to anything from him.  But if I were to rebuild an Ozzy collection, it would be:  Blizzard, Diary, Bark at the Moon, Speak of the Devil, and No More Tears.  And that's it.  I could listen to any of those albums from start to finish, but have no desire to listen to anything else from him.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #92 on: May 06, 2022, 03:31:16 AM »

I’m the opposite. I thought The Ultimate Sin was terrible.

@Bosk, I’m a big fan of Ozzmosis. The production is horrific, but the songs are excellent.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: May 06, 2022, 05:24:14 AM »
I love both albums - The Ultimate Sin was my first Ozzy album and I worked back from there so I have a soft spot for it , but still cannot understand guys like Zakk Wylde etc...saying it was "soft" compared to BATM.  If anything I thought it had a heavier sound.  The look/fashion ?............well yeah  :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #94 on: May 06, 2022, 07:48:42 AM »
Oh, and for the other half of the thread, while I feel that Dio is hands down the better musician and performer, I don't feel like I need anything other than my Dio greatest hits CD in my collection.  (and Heaven and Hell)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: May 06, 2022, 08:48:24 AM »

I LOVE the deeper tracks on Bark.   Coz notwithstanding*, the title track is silly, and "So Tired" sort of blows, but the rest of side one I think is killer.  It's really a solid album.  I just dig Randy over Jake.   For me, the first two are such a moment in time; before Ozzy became a clown/meme, when it was still sort of dangerous.   

* GuitarCozmo enlightened me to that solo in Bark and it's killer.  I just wish the song was a little better; it's so cartoon-y and every time I hear it all I can think of is that silly cover.   :0

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: May 06, 2022, 08:52:15 AM »
I'm kinda with TAC.  Bark at the Moon is my favorite album.  I grew tired/disgusted with Ozzy and barely ever want to listen to anything from him.  But if I were to rebuild an Ozzy collection, it would be:  Blizzard, Diary, Bark at the Moon, Speak of the Devil, and No More Tears.  And that's it.  I could listen to any of those albums from start to finish, but have no desire to listen to anything else from him.

No More Tears is SO solid from top to bottom.  I'm not sure there's one bad song on that record. 

I liked the Ultimate Sin.  It wasn't top three, but I always thought it got a bum rap.   And Ozzy's neglect of that record (I'm not sure that it's even available now; I know it wasn't for a LONG time) doesn't help.  But "Fool Like You" might be a top ten Ozzy song for me; I LOVE that song.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #97 on: May 06, 2022, 09:11:05 AM »

Have you ever seen Ozzy speak?  "Aware of what's going on" is not his default mode.

I think this post deserves more recognition.

Even in my covid haze, that made me LOL for real.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #98 on: May 06, 2022, 09:16:32 AM »

I’m the opposite. I thought The Ultimate Sin was terrible.

I have Diary well above anything else, but Bark is at least as good as, if not better than, Blizzard, and I agree that Darkness might be #2 after Diary.  I'm also in the camp that thought Sin was a BIG step down.  I know everything except shot is co-credited to Daisley, but it seems like there's a big Daisley deficiency there.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: May 06, 2022, 09:44:07 AM »

Have you ever seen Ozzy speak?  "Aware of what's going on" is not his default mode.

Haha that is funny, but I've always been of the impression that the mumblin' bumblin' Ozzy was schtick.  He's no idiot.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #100 on: May 06, 2022, 01:57:47 PM »
I do enjoy The Ultimate Sin too, but I feel it was a significant drop from Bark at the Moon.

Killer of Giants is a fantastic song, though. One of my favorite performances from Jake E Lee...

Agree with Stadler on No More Tears. Super-solid album. Ozzmosis was a bit disappointing as a follow up, as an overall album, but it was still plenty enjoyable.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: May 06, 2022, 01:58:29 PM »

Thanks.  I'll be here all week.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #102 on: May 06, 2022, 04:54:31 PM »
Overall The Ultimate Sin is probably on par with Bark at the Moon for me. Both have strong highs and a few lows. The worst thing about The Ultimate Sin is Ozzy's drag queen phase and Killer of Giants is a great song.

No Rest for the Wicked - when I got the cassette on release day I loved this album but I would be pretty desperate to actually put it on today...
No More Tears - I love this album.
Ozzmosis - I also really enjoy this one. Perry Mason is a top 10 Ozzy song for me.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #103 on: May 10, 2022, 01:47:24 PM »
I actually think Ultimate Sin is one of Oz’s best. (Personally I put it just below Diary, Blizzard, and No More Tears). I actually prefer it to Blizzard but Crazy Train and Mr Crowley are so legendary, I can’t rank it above in good conscience.

I can see why people didn’t dig the glam side of Ozzy but it seems to have found it’s fan base and is regarded better now. Killer of Giants, Lightning Strikes, Shot in the Dark, and the title track are all bangers. Thank God for the Bomb is the only real stinker.

Bark at the Moon on the other hand is pretty weak IMO- the title track and Centre of Eternity are classic but the rest is fairly throwaway in my opinion.

My ranking:
No More Tears- they shot it out of the park with this one
Diary of Madman
Blizzard
Ultimate Sin
No Rest for the Wicked
Bark at the Moon

…aaand the rest.

Jake E Lee actually said it best- Oz started losing it when they had a team of writers coming in, pop music ghostwriters, rap producers etc. It worked for No More Tears I think because Zakk Wylde was still involved and Lemmy probably brought some magic, but it’s never really worked since.

As far as the first two Dio vs Ozzy albums, you gotta go with Ozzy. Bob Daisley and Randy Rhoads had incredible writing chemistry and while I think Randy was on his way out (by most accounts he was sick of getting paid peanuts like everyone else in Ozzy’s camp) it’s a shame we didn’t get to see him mature as an artist, especially during 1983-1986 when heavy metal was really coming to its own as a genre.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: May 11, 2022, 07:36:35 AM »
Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I always sort of thought Randy would have been Marty Friedman if he lived.  Early years deep in metal, but later, doing solo work that was more eclectic, and more open to experimentation. I still think Marty's "Scenes" is an AMAZING record.