Author Topic: Ozzy vs. Dio - first 2 solo albums  (Read 6382 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Ozzy vs. Dio - first 2 solo albums
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2022, 03:47:07 PM »
I have pretty much grown to despise Ozzy(tm) and everything he stands for.  He just always seems to be to be a character with no talent who always managed to surround himself with extremely talented people (I suppose if “standing next to the most talented guy in the room” was a talent of its own, Ozzy(tm) wins.)

That being said, his first two solo albums are probably the greatest two hard rock albums of the early 80s.  Thanks to Rhoads, Kerslake, and Daily…we got two bona fide classics.

I think he has a huge talent, for ripping other other artists and taking credit for songs he didn't/couldn't write.

Dio did some of the same stuff, like screwing over Viv.

I posted a great Viv interview last week or so where he goes into great detail. Craig Goaldie has done the same.

Years ago, I read an interview with Vinnie saying that Dio paid them next to nothing.

Vivian actually blames Wendy and says that Ronnie was afraid of her.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online pg1067

« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2022, 05:21:49 PM »
I have pretty much grown to despise Ozzy(tm) and everything he stands for.  He just always seems to be to be a character with no talent who always managed to surround himself with extremely talented people (I suppose if “standing next to the most talented guy in the room” was a talent of its own, Ozzy(tm) wins.)

That being said, his first two solo albums are probably the greatest two hard rock albums of the early 80s.  Thanks to Rhoads, Kerslake, and Daily…we got two bona fide classics.

I think he has a huge talent, for ripping other other artists and taking credit for songs he didn't/couldn't write.

I posted a great Viv interview last week or so where he goes into great detail. Craig Goaldie has done the same.

Years ago, I read an interview with Vinnie saying that Dio paid them next to nothing.

Wendy needs to get off her ass and release Hear 'n' Aid digitally (both the album and the video).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2022, 06:36:17 PM »

Sounds familiar.  Maybe we should do a poll on who was more of a &^&*^ -  Sharon or Wendy  :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2022, 06:37:43 PM »

Sounds familiar.  Maybe we should do a poll on who was more of a &^&*^ -  Sharon or Wendy  :lol

Well, pretty sure Wendy didn't have Jimmy and Vinnie erased from those first three Dio albums. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2022, 06:41:59 PM »

Well, pretty sure Wendy didn't have Jimmy and Vinnie erased from those first three Dio albums. :lol

Or pull the power and have the audience throw eggs at Iron Maiden just for some off-handed remark.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2022, 06:48:02 PM »

Or pull the power and have the audience throw eggs at Iron Maiden just for some off-handed remark.

Or was on The View. ;D

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2022, 07:43:55 PM »
I'm a much bigger fan of Dio's vocals than Ozzy's.  But, no disrespect to Campbell, the first two Ozzy albums are better because of Randy Rhoads.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2022, 08:36:36 PM »

Could throw Jayne Andrews in there for the ultimate bitch trio.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2022, 08:37:29 PM »
Who is Jayne Andrews?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2022, 08:40:26 PM »
Who is Jayne Andrews?

Priest management, Tipton's wife, or ex-wife, I'm not sure.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2022, 08:41:11 PM »
Gotcha!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2022, 08:42:41 PM »

You forgot someone
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2022, 08:52:55 PM »

You forgot someone

At first I was like.........who the fuck is he talking about...

Then it clicked......

You fucker.  She beats all 3 put together in the bitch department!  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2022, 08:54:50 PM »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2022, 09:03:24 PM »
Don't make me type her name.........

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2022, 09:07:44 PM »
I don't want you to do anything you don't want to. :lol

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2022, 12:15:39 AM »

TTBOMK DIO has never taken credit for songs someone else wrote.
Take a look at Bark At The Moon, 'all songs written by Ozzy Osbourne'  ;D
We all know that Ozzy couldn't write a song to save his life.
Also they are still in dispute with Phil Soussan over unpaid royalties for his song, Shot In The Dark.
He might have paid VC less than he wanted, but at least he paid them.
I don't believe that DIO ever erased former band members parts in order to not to pay them for their contributions.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2022, 07:27:53 AM »

TTBOMK DIO has never taken credit for songs someone else wrote.

"All lyrics and melodies written by Ronnie James Dio"

Craig Goldie said that this was standard so off the top, Dio got 50% right off the top of a song's publishing, whether he wrote the melody or not...

And Viv and Vinnie got paid jack shit. That's why Viv was gone after Sacred Heart, and Vinnie and Jimmy were gone an album later.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2022, 07:40:26 AM »

I actually called into Eddie Trunk's radio show once (it was around 2010, 2011, when I was living in Erie.  I was also drinking heavily as my marriage was crumbling around me, so there's that!) and asked about this.  Eddie always made it out like Dio was the nicest guy in the world, an angel to all, blah blah blah.  And to be fair, my friend Jim (some of you have met him) waited outside the Bushnell Theater in Hartford in February in sub-freezing weather, and Ronnie stood there and signed EVERY SINGLE THING put in front of him.

But I also grew up a Blackmore fanboy, and followed both Sabbath and Ozzy/Dio solo.  Dio burned bridges with Blackmore, and never worked with him again.   Dio burned bridges with Sabbath (the stories were comical coming out of the Sabbath camp; people sneaking in late at night to erase parts, remix parts, etc.).   Dio did return to Sabbath, but burned the bridge there again ("I'm not opening for that clown" when asked to perform at Ozzy "final" concert).  He did return again, but still.   He burned bridges with Vivian, and while he gave writing credits, by many accounts he didn't follow through with the payments.   All growing up, the impression was that Dio was a dick.  Somewhere along the line he rectified that but that doesn't change the 20 years of real-time perception.

As for "Bark At The Moon", that's not the only time that has happened in music.  Ask Bruce Dickinson about the writing credits on Number Of The Beast.   Ask Michael McDonald about the writing credits on "I'll Wait".  And why doesn't it work in reverse?  Why does someone like Michael Anthony get full credit for over a hundred and thirty songs he largely had no input on?  That's fine?

Bold statement: I'm no fan, generally, but I think Sharon is a scapegoat.  Her JOB is to look out for Ozzy's interests, and she's done that.  Many, many, many artists - including Bob Daisley, who seems a sucker for punishment -  keep coming back to work with Ozzy, and most people who do say he's a joy to work with.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2022, 07:45:25 AM »
Stadler..I'll have to find that Goldy interview, but he said Dio felt screwed by both Blackmore and Sabbath, so when it was his time to run a band, he made sure to take care of himself.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2022, 07:55:02 AM »
Whisper it.  I'm dying over here!

I will say this, though: it's ultimately about the music, and in that department, Wendy has Sharon and Jayne beat hands down.  The Dio reissues are about as good as they get in terms of completeness and interest.   They have ALL the b-sides, including the studio songs and the live stuff, the EPs, and even some bonus live tracks well documented as to time and place of recording (so you know who's playing what).  They did Holy Diver through, I think, Sacred Heart, plus Magica.   EXCELLENT.   When they did the Ozzy stuff, they were shitty.  They left off all the live b-sides, they left off "You Said It All", there was none of the additional live stuff from Gaumont Theater that we KNOW exists.   They left off the Roseland show that is epic.  And what was there was poorly documented.   When Priest did their remasters, they put one studio song and one live song on each record, but they were wildly out of synch (Stained Class session material on Sin After Sin, Ram It Down session material on Stained Class...) and listed only as "recorded during the earlier years of our career", and the live stuff was poorly documented ("Recorded live on one of our many world tours...") even though all the live tracks were from the four shows they've recycled numerous times in their "career" (Long Beach, '84; Memphis '82, St. Louis '86 and the US Festival).   They even missed the opportunity to present the whole Unleashed show (except for one song which I understand was never recorded), which was released as the album, an EP, and some b-sides.  There were some other live b-sides from late 70s that were ignored as well. 

For my money, it takes little effort to be thorough and document this stuff.  If you're TRULY about the fans - and Jayne Andrews is constantly about "the fans, the fans, the fans" then you'd put in the effort, especially when the real fans KNOW anyway.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2022, 08:05:38 AM »

Was her husband prone to wearing vests?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2022, 08:46:48 AM »
Bold statement: I'm no fan, generally, but I think Sharon is a scapegoat.  Her JOB is to look out for Ozzy's interests, and she's done that.  Many, many, many artists - including Bob Daisley, who seems a sucker for punishment -  keep coming back to work with Ozzy, and most people who do say he's a joy to work with.
Sabotaging a show that some of us spent big on traveling to see is not looking out for Ozzy's interests. It's just shitting on his fans, and I'd say that's contrary to his best interests. For that matter, neither is scheduling his dates so close together that his crippled ass couldn't possibly make them all. Again, screwing over his fans. I suppose you could say that she's taking the Ford approach, and alienating a segment of his fanbase might benefit his bottom line, but I don't think that earns you scapegoat status.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2022, 10:10:18 AM »
Sabotaging a show that some of us spent big on traveling to see is not looking out for Ozzy's interests. It's just shitting on his fans, and I'd say that's contrary to his best interests. For that matter, neither is scheduling his dates so close together that his crippled ass couldn't possibly make them all. Again, screwing over his fans. I suppose you could say that she's taking the Ford approach, and alienating a segment of his fanbase might benefit his bottom line, but I don't think that earns you scapegoat status.

Fair enough. I don't disagree with that.  I'm really more commenting on the notion that whenever Ozzy is in the news, it's almost inevitable that someone chimes in with "Sharon..." as if it's all her fault.

Online pg1067

« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2022, 10:12:16 AM »
Whisper it.  I'm dying over here!

My guess is Yoko Ono, but what the fuck do I know?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2022, 10:15:33 AM »

Fair enough. I don't disagree with that.  I'm really more commenting on the notion that whenever Ozzy is in the news, it's almost inevitable that someone chimes in with "Sharon..." as if it's all her fault.
Well, most of the time people invoke Sharon when Ozzy comes up is because somebody got screwed over. Ozzy's always struck me as a damned friendly, easy going bloke. I think the idea of screwing people over is foreign to him. He's not Donald Trump, FFS. Whether or not it's in his own best interest doesn't mean that Sharon isn't rightly to blame for the things people criticize her for.

Yeah, I really hate that filthy cunt. You can expect some push back from me when it comes to defending her.  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2022, 10:18:30 AM »
Haha.  I'm not a huge fan either, I just know that in business not everyone can be a full-on winner.  Especially at the level Ozzy is at.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2022, 11:02:03 AM »
Well, most of the time people invoke Sharon when Ozzy comes up is because somebody got screwed over. Ozzy's always struck me as a damned friendly, easy going bloke. I think the idea of screwing people over is foreign to him. He's not Donald Trump, FFS. Whether or not it's in his own best interest doesn't mean that Sharon isn't rightly to blame for the things people criticize her for.

No he is just as bad as Sharon, if he is is nice why has he let her do all this stuff over the years?
Surely he is aware of what's going on and doing nothing is just as bad IMO.

Again I'll ask the question that the above posters have conveniently not answered:
Name another artist who has not only screwed previous members out of royalties, but to the extend of removing them from re-issues
by replacing their playing with another musician, with the sole purpose of screwing them over?

Your telling that Ozzy didn't agreed to this, or had no part, and didn't 'sign' off on this?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2022, 11:13:56 AM »
I've heard enough stories about Ozzy himself from people that still do do like him to form a pretty unfavorable opinion.  But I'm pretty much with Barto on my opinion of Sharon. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2022, 12:03:55 PM »
Again I'll ask the question that the above posters have conveniently not answered:
Name another artist who has not only screwed previous members out of royalties, but to the extend of removing them from re-issues
by replacing their playing with another musician, with the sole purpose of screwing them over?

Your telling that Ozzy didn't agreed to this, or had no part, and didn't 'sign' off on this?

One, he claims he didn't know.  I have no reason to not believe him.

Two, to you this is a big deal.  To me it's not.  The musicians were paid.

Three, MANY bands have done this.  Kiss, Def Leppard, Iron Maiden, Whitesnake, Tony Iommi, Little River Band, Journey, and Taylor Swift have all in one form or another re-recorded all or parts of songs with either the intent or by-product of removing people from their work.  Whether it's "with the sole purpose of screwing" anyone over, I can't tell you, I'm not in their head.  Certainly, Kiss re-recording Eric Carr's vocal over the music for "Beth" is if not for the purpose of screwing Peter Criss over, has the effect of doing so.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2022, 12:19:48 PM »

No he is just as bad as Sharon, if he is is nice why has he let her do all this stuff over the years?

He doesn't have enough functional brain cells left to discern what was being done.
He simply didn't have the wherewithal to push back on Sharron's decision--not worth the effort.
He was afraid of getting his ass kicked (in a fight between Ozzy and Sharron my money is on Sharron in the first round).
He was misinformed as to the nature of it, or why it was being done.
He stays intentionally removed from the business side of things as it's not his forte.

All just speculations on my part, but I can rattle off plenty of possible explanations for his deference.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2022, 12:20:53 PM »
While it doesn't excuse him, I believe Bart is right on all counts.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2022, 02:05:31 PM »

Have you ever seen Ozzy speak?  "Aware of what's going on" is not his default mode.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2022, 02:19:54 PM »
Aside from Ozzy's general obliviousness, I reckon anybody who knows a distinctly matriarchal couple can recognize the dynamic at work between him and FCSO. I know a couple that remind me a great deal of the two of them, though in this case the husband is the brains of the organization. Simply doesn't matter, though. He's content to let his wife make the decisions. If one of them doesn't seem all that right, he'll point that out to her, once, but in the end he's probably going to let it slide. It's simply a matter of picking and choosing your battles, and Ozzy's in a far worse position than my friend in terms of leverage. I suspect Ozzy's quite content to simply do as Sharon says.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2022, 02:27:46 PM »

One, he claims he didn't know.  I have no reason to not believe him.

Two, to you this is a big deal.  To me it's not.  The musicians were paid.

Three, MANY bands have done this.  Kiss, Def Leppard, Iron Maiden, Whitesnake, Tony Iommi, Little River Band, Journey, and Taylor Swift have all in one form or another re-recorded all or parts of songs with either the intent or by-product of removing people from their work.  Whether it's "with the sole purpose of screwing" anyone over, I can't tell you, I'm not in their head.  Certainly, Kiss re-recording Eric Carr's vocal over the music for "Beth" is if not for the purpose of screwing Peter Criss over, has the effect of doing so.

One:  Eh, I'm not so sure about that.  I think the jury's still out on that one.  Regardless, for something like this, it's his name on the band.  Ultimately, the buck stops with him in terms of allowing it to happen or, at the very least, for making it right after the fact, which he had plenty of opportunity to do at several junctures.

Two:  Not true at all.  That was the point and why those other guys were so upset.  They didn't get paid. 

Three:  Largely irrelevant, and I'm not sure you are accurate on all counts there either.  I have no knowledge of Def Lep doing that, and I have followed them for years.  What are you specifically referring to?  If you mean the remixes of Bringin on the Heartbreak and Me and My Wine on the 1984 High 'n' Dry reissue, that's not really the same thing.  The original album was presented, in full, with the original musicians.  The two remixes were bonus songs that were, in effect, new versions of the songs (in addition to adding Phil Collen on guitar instead of Pete Willis, they added synths and some other changes) that were given in addition to the original versions, not in place of them.  That's applies to oranges in terms of replacing the originals with a same version with different band members and/or retroactively removing bandmembers from the credits.  Or were you referring to something else?

Not sure about many of the other examples you mention, with the exception of Kiss and Journey, and I'm not sure how either of those help your case.  Both bands caught flak from the music community and fans for doing that, and both are pretty widely regarded as being douchbag moves to either "scrub the record" of prior bandmembers' involvement or replace prior bandmembers' contributions or both.  In neither case is it something to be admired or that should give Ozzy a pass for allowing something similar.  Rather, it just goes to show that he isn't the only jerk out there.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."