Author Topic: Official top 50 Van Halen songs thread!! (Countdown has begun!!)  (Read 28794 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Definitely up there on my list.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
I'm going to try to bang out the rest of my list over the next couple days to meet the deadline. I've been so busy at work I haven't had time to work on it the last couple weeks. :(
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

So...there is a list?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• DTF.org Member

So...there is a list?
I hope Wolfking submits a list. I'd be interested to see someone's take on Van Halen going into this having not been a fan a previously. Going into something without preconceived notions can yield interesting results.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

• DTF.org Member
Re-listening to all the albums has reminded me how terrible the production is on the drums on OU812, plus whatever that constant clicking is in almost every song on the album is extremely annoying and once you hear it, it's all you can hear.... :censored
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
It's like a click track with the sound of a cowbell echoing... I think it's more noticeable on Mine All Mine, When It's Love and Feels So Good - I don't know if it has in any other songs (parts of Finish What You Started and Black and Blue are actually cowbells being played by Alex). But, yes, that is really annoying.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 11:15:47 AM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Got to say, I'm fired up with anticipation for the reveal.  I can't wait. 

Online HOF

I know exactly what you guys are talking about with the clicking sound on OU812, and can see why it would be annoying. I always kind of liked it. I used to think it was actually a synth effect, at least on When It’s Love, but maybe it is the click track bleeding through.

Offline devieira73

Not offending anyone's taste...  :D but I was listening to Dirty Water Dog today and I confirmed that I love this song immensely!!
Someone mentioned earlier about Josephina... and indeed it's among the best from VHIII.
@Wolfking: you tried to listen to that album? I think there's a lot of cool and different guitar work from Eddie there, what you think?

Online HOF

Not offending anyone's taste...  :D but I was listening to Dirty Water Dog today and I confirmed that I love this song immensely!!
Someone mentioned earlier about Josephina... and indeed it's among the best from VHIII.
@Wolfking: you tried to listen to that album? I think there's a lot of cool and different guitar work from Eddie there, what you think?

I love that intro to Dirty Water Dog. The percussion there is actually a push brush I believe, and then they used the sound of it falling at the end as well. The lyrics are probably the worst on III and get close to some of the cringier Sammy moments. But otherwise it is a very cool track.

Offline devieira73

I love that intro to Dirty Water Dog. The percussion there is actually a push brush I believe, and then they used the sound of it falling at the end as well. The lyrics are probably the worst on III and get close to some of the cringier Sammy moments. But otherwise it is a very cool track.

I didn't know that. It does sound like a strange kind of percussion, cool!
About the lyrics, I must admit I never payed attention to them, so... let's keep this way! :D

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
I can't for the life of me believe I'm saying this about GARY CHERONE, who I love, and I'm not suggesting that the quality is his fault - it's not - but there's one song that made my list - Without You - and the next tier songs on that record would all be far better as instrumentals. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
I know exactly what you guys are talking about with the clicking sound on OU812, and can see why it would be annoying. I always kind of liked it. I used to think it was actually a synth effect, at least on When It’s Love, but maybe it is the click track bleeding through.

it's not on every song, though; I don't hear it on A.F.U., or Cabo Wabo.  I do hear it on Finish... .

Online HOF

I didn't know that. It does sound like a strange kind of percussion, cool!
About the lyrics, I must admit I never payed attention to them, so... let's keep this way! :D

Yeah, I think it was probably inspired by Stomp (the Broadway show). Back when III came out there was a radio broadcast I listened to that basically previewed the album, and they explained the percussion on that track. Now that’s my memory from 24 years ago, so I could be off. But I’ve always understood that to be the case.

Online HOF

I can't for the life of me believe I'm saying this about GARY CHERONE, who I love, and I'm not suggesting that the quality is his fault - it's not - but there's one song that made my list - Without You - and the next tier songs on that record would all be far better as instrumentals.

I like all of those songs and even I agree the vocals are very harsh and it doesn’t come off as Gary’s finest moment. Not sure if it was partly just where his voice was at at the time, or if it was just the way they were recorded or what.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I got halfway through it.  Once had an incredible solo.  I'll finish the album off now actually.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
A Year to the Day is.......not bad.  Eddie rips shit up.  This song would have been amazing with Sammy.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, that's about it for VH3.

Offline devieira73

Cool to know your impressions! Once and Year to the Day are among my faves from the album (specially Once), although they aren't the 2 on my Top 50.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Quick reminder: submissions are due by the end of Saturday, April 30th. I will tally the results up when I am back from Tennessee on the 1st or 2nd and start the countdown right away. 

To anyone still planning to submit a list, please proofread your list, because I am not waiting for anyone to correct it when I get back if you list a song twice, meaning your list will not be used.   :biggrin:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Got a top 20 down.  Will have the rest nutted out by early Sunday morning (my time) and sent.

• DTF.org Member
Sent my list off. Mine might be the most controversial list of them all...... :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
My list is just about complete.

While this hasn't made me a VH fan of, the two albums most my style that really stick out that I will come back to is Balance and FUCK.  I also have much more of an appreciation for Eddie.  He was amazing.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 06:47:23 PM by wolfking »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
My list is just about complete.

While this hasn't made me a VH fan of, the two albums most my style that really stick out that I will come back to is Balance and FUCK.  I also have much more of a appreciation for Eddie.  He was amazing.

Nice.  :tup
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I was actually noodling with a couple of his solos this morning and yeah, unique, intricate and much more difficult than they appear while being melodic and tasteful.

I wish he did play in a more heavy metal context though in his career.  That would have been epic.

Another thing is, I hear so many of my fav guitarists listening to his stuff.  It's clear Criss Oliva basically worshipped Eddie.  I hear a lot in Jason Becker too, but so many really, it's endless.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'm sure you know that Becker played on David Lee Roth's 3rd album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm sure you know that Becker played on David Lee Roth's 3rd album.

A Little Ain't Enough.  :metal

Got that one on CD!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
My list.......has been sent!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I was close to quitting, but glad I followed through.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Glad you didn't give in.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Glad you didn't give in.

Yeah same.  I'm the type of person that once they dabble their toes in, it feels wrong not taking the plunge.  Wanted to bulk up the number of lists too and be a team player too.  Kev puts so much work in and we get so much enjoyment and great discussion from this idea.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
You da man! Plus...Eddie Van Halen  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
You da man! Plus...Eddie Van Halen  :metal

A couple of songs made the list because of the solo alone and some wouldn't have ranked anywhere near as high if it wasn't for the guitar solo.

As I said though, everyone will puke at my number 1, but I can't escape it, just always fucking loved it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Jump? :lol