Author Topic: Official top 50 Van Halen songs thread!! (Countdown has begun!!)  (Read 28693 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Official top 50 Van Halen songs thread!! (Countdown has begun!!)
« Reply #525 on: May 05, 2022, 10:58:22 AM »

For instance, 'I'll Wait' is BY FAR my favorite track off of 1984—"such good photography" has been a part of my personal lexicon for about 35 years!!!

Spoiler alert: you and I were the two highest rankers of I'll Wait, but one of us had it one spot higher than the other. Time will tell who was the highest...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #526 on: May 05, 2022, 11:02:18 AM »
Here are today's songs.

43 (t) Don’t Tell Me (What Love Can Do)
Appeared on 9 of 17  entrees
Top 10 finishes: 1
Highest Ranking: 8 (WardySI)

I disliked this song a lot when I first heard it.  Sammy sounding like his voice was blown out combined with Alex's annoying cymbal flourishes in the choruses were big obstacles for me to immediately climb.  I did come around to liking it, although it is still not a favorite, and thus did not make my top 50.

43 (t) Ice Cream Man
Appeared on 10 of 17  entrees
Top 10 finishes: 2
Highest Ranking: 6 (TAC)

This one actually took me a while to come around on as well, as I just didn't like that much first, considering it the lone hiccup on an otherwise masterful debut record.  Like the above, it didn't get ranked, but I do like it quite a bit now.

Online pg1067

« Reply #527 on: May 05, 2022, 11:17:46 AM »
43(t) - Don’t Tell Me (What Love Can Do):  Never heard it.

43(t) - Ice Cream Man:  Vaguely cool novelty song with some nostalgia value for the days when we'd hear the ice cream truck and run outside (although I'm sure it's some sort of sexual metaphor).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #528 on: May 05, 2022, 11:55:05 AM »
I had "Don't Tell Me (What Love Can Do) at #20, and - nailing the zeitgeist once again - Ice Cream Man at #44.

I really dig DTM(WLCD).  It's a dark song and in hindsight really reflects the mood and attitude of the band at the time.  Famously, it was "Let Me Show You What Love Can Do" or something (about Kurt Cobain) and the brothers said no, we want something darker.  Sam fought, but relented, but the tensions really signaled the end of the band in that incarnation.

Offline HOF

« Reply #529 on: May 05, 2022, 01:12:15 PM »
Don’t Tell Me What Love Can Do came in at 27 for me. Love how meaty everything sounds on Balance, and I’m glad they went for a darker overall tone on this song than whatever it was Sammy wanted to do. Never had any problem with the symbols on the chorus. Sammy is a bit shrill, but it’s a pretty great vocal performance overall. This is another one of those more introspective Sammy lyrics that I appreciate for being something a bit deeper.

Ice Cream Man did not rank.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #530 on: May 05, 2022, 04:52:35 PM »

YouTube is your friend😉
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #531 on: May 05, 2022, 04:54:08 PM »
Neither of these ranked for me.  Ice Cream Man is just the type of novelty song I can't buy into.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #532 on: May 05, 2022, 05:23:43 PM »
Ice Cream Man is just the type of novelty song I can't buy into.

I see what you did there.

43 (t) Ice Cream Man

I had DTM(WLCD) at Not Ranked. Never even considered it.

I had Ice Cream Man at #6. It's a little campy, but it shows just what a machine this band was from the jump.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #533 on: May 05, 2022, 06:13:18 PM »

I disliked this song a lot when I first heard it.  Sammy sounding like his voice was blown out combined with Alex's annoying cymbal flourishes in the choruses were big obstacles for me to immediately climb.  I did come around to liking it, although it is still not a favorite, and thus did not make my top 50.

43 (t) Ice Cream Man

This one actually took me a while to come around on as well, as I just didn't like that much first, considering it the lone hiccup on an otherwise masterful debut record.  Like the above, it didn't get ranked, but I do like it quite a bit now.
Don’t Tell Me (What Love Can Do) - This song snuck in at #42 for me. Pretty close to the consensus. I was actually surprised how much this song grew on me when I was doing my relistening, and the rest of Balance for that matter. The middle instrumental break in this song is fantastic!

Ice Cream Man - This landed at #37. Yes the lyrics are kind of dumb. Yes they are definitely very tongue in cheek and full of innuendo. Yes the song is sort of campy. However, there's no denying the song is fun to listen to and full of great playing by Eddie.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline The Realm

« Reply #534 on: May 05, 2022, 06:30:53 PM »

43 (t) Ice Cream Man

Don't Tell Me - this was 18 for me. I love this song although I think it is mainly because of the verses and the cool phaser guitar intro/guitar part under the verses. The chorus isn't that strong overall.  The guitar solo and guitar solo outro (before chorus reprise) are also great.

Ice Cream Man - unranked.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #535 on: May 05, 2022, 09:46:01 PM »
I had Don't Tell Me in the 80's but find it a pleasant enough song.  Probably a good indication of how important VH were to me growing up - ranked in the 80s and still nothing I actively dislike.

I ranked Ice Cream Man #18.  Fiery guitar solo and the sense of humour that was a big part of my attraction to DLR era Van Halen.

Wouldn't mind a Davesickle guitar :lol

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jammindude

« Reply #536 on: May 05, 2022, 10:25:52 PM »
I’m lurking. But I just wanted something noted.

How many of you thought that it was EVH on the acoustic guitar on the intro of ICM? Because it was just a scant couple of years ago that I found out it was Dave.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #537 on: May 05, 2022, 10:35:39 PM »
Davesickle.   :lol  My first time seeing that, holy shit!

Offline WardySI

« Reply #538 on: May 05, 2022, 11:08:07 PM »
ICM didn't rank for me.

I recall when Balance was released I had no idea it was even coming out had missed the single even, but walking into my local hearing Don't Tell Me blasting over the stereo I was hit with that sound (someone above described it as meaty and I agree) and what a song!  Somewhat a departure at the time and I dug it and of course Ed's guitar before the final chorus is sublime (I never understood the split in fanbase or how anyone couldn't still enjoy Ed's work during the Hagar era some incredible stuff but oh well)...  Anyway great song and glad it made this 50 \m/

ETA No I didn't know that was Dave jammindude - noted ;)

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #539 on: May 05, 2022, 11:48:06 PM »
Here are today's songs.

43 (t) Ice Cream Man

Don’t Tell Me was my 50th track. Pretty groovy, but nothing super special.

Ice Cream Man didn’t rank. I really don’t care for this song.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

• DTF.org Member
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #542 on: May 06, 2022, 08:45:02 AM »
We see someone's number 1 land in the 40s again today!

42 Humans Being
Appeared on 8 of 17  entrees
Highest Ranking: 3 (WardySI)

This song was an instant ass-kicker for me.  Interestingly, it is the only song in the top 50 that wasn't on a VH studio album.  This song has held up really well, which is why it landed at 20 for me.

41 Little Guitars
Highest Ranking: 1 (Deadeye21)

This is the first and only song from Diver Down to appear in the top 50.  Nothing from that album made my top 50, but I would agree that this is the best song from it, so I am good with its appearance.

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #543 on: May 06, 2022, 08:49:55 AM »
MY NUMBER ONE IS 41ST!?

Nup. This list is rigged.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline HOF

« Reply #544 on: May 06, 2022, 08:58:14 AM »
Humans Being is great. I had it at 30. VH were on top of it in the 90s. I just wish they had made more music in that period because what they did make sounded great. A little surprised it’s the only non album track to make it (I had Me Wise Magic one spot higher at 29, and I thought that one was fairly well thought of by others around here).

Little Guitars was one I probably should have ranked upon further reflection. It’s a really fun song. My apologies, Deadeye!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #545 on: May 06, 2022, 09:01:14 AM »
Me Wise Magic didn't miss the top 50 by much (it finished at 56), but I was also a little surprised it didn't do a little better.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #546 on: May 06, 2022, 09:10:36 AM »
I love Humans Being, it was my #28. The solo section is great with that nice double bass drum groove!
So... no Pretty Woman (#32) in the Top 50? I think the VH's version is amazing, specially if we hear it together with Intruder (which I always do).
I also will miss Me Wise Magic (#38) and I Can't Get This Stuff No More (#44).
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 09:45:08 AM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #547 on: May 06, 2022, 09:16:47 AM »
Me Wise Magic didn't miss the top 50 by much (it finished at 56), but I was also a little surprised it didn't do a little better.

Dammit.  Me Wise Magic is #4 on my list.  I LOVE that song.

Little Guitars was #10

Humans Being was #86

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #548 on: May 06, 2022, 09:30:26 AM »
I’m lurking. But I just wanted something noted.

How many of you thought that it was EVH on the acoustic guitar on the intro of ICM? Because it was just a scant couple of years ago that I found out it was Dave.

I'm trying to remember where I saw it, but I saw a COOL interview with Dave from not that long ago; it was after ADKOT.  It spent a lot of time on his tattoos (he did the irezumi style - the traditional Japanese tattoo style - with munewari - the "strip" down the chest so that the tattoos are not visible outside the shirtline or with a kimono) and his tattoo artist.  Supposedly he did it all at once rather than building up as some do.   Anyway, there was a scene and Dave had an acoustic guitar and he was playing and singing along and it was remarkably good, perhaps because it's not something you'd expect from him. 

I'll see if I can find a link; it's a fascinating look into the man; after 45 years in the public life, the REAL David Roth is still pretty much an enigma.

Online pg1067

« Reply #549 on: May 06, 2022, 09:39:49 AM »

YouTube is your friend😉

I mean...I'm aware that there are lots of options where I COULD listen to it.

41 Little Guitars

This is the first and only song from Diver Down to appear in the top 50.  Nothing from that album made my top 50, but I would agree that this is the best song from it, so I am good with its appearance.

Fucking what?!  LG is a good song, and the Spanish guitar intro is really cool, but it's not even close to the best song on that album.  Hang 'Em High is a complete ass kicker.  One of my absolute favorite VH songs.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline HOF

« Reply #550 on: May 06, 2022, 09:46:37 AM »
Hang 'em High is pretty cool, but I'm more surprised about (Oh) Pretty Woman, which is a classic VH cut that they really made their own.

But, 50 songs also really isn't a long list for VH. 

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #551 on: May 06, 2022, 09:56:10 AM »
42 Humans Being

This song was an instant ass-kicker for me.  Interestingly, it is the only song in the top 50 that wasn't on a VH studio album.  This song has held up really well, which is why it landed at 20 for me.

41 Little Guitars

Humans Being - Awesome! I was a little worried this song would be forgotten about and not make the list. I had it at #15. It's a fantastic song. That build up in the intro always takes me back to when this song first came out. Such a nostalgic song for me. If I remember correctly, this song was recorded for the movie Twister, which is where I first heard it.

Little Guitars - I had this at #31. A great song from kind of a mixed bag of an album.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 04:08:03 PM by Puppies_On_Acid »
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #552 on: May 06, 2022, 10:14:36 AM »
42 Humans Being

41 Little Guitars

Humans Being - Awesome! I was a little worried this song would be forgotten about and not make the list. I had it at #15. It's a fantastic song. That build up in the intro always takes me back to when this song first came out. Such a nostalgic song for me. If I remember correctly, this song was recording for the movie Twister, which is where I first heard it.

Little Guitars - I had this at #31. A great song from kind of a mixed bag of an album.

Humans Being was a song with controversy. The Brothers again hated the lyrics, and kept begging Sam to record with them in LA.  Sam's wife was pregnant, though, in Hawai'i and he didn't want to travel.  I guess she finally came to San Francisco, and he commuted from there. 

It's an "eh" song for me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #553 on: May 06, 2022, 03:05:38 PM »
Shit, I didn't know about Humans Being.  What was this song released on?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #554 on: May 06, 2022, 03:20:49 PM »
I had Humans Being as Not Ranked. I was nice at that point to get some new material, but neither the new Sammy or DLR song was that good IMO.

I had Little Guitars at #38. Always enjoyed it.
Wait..THIS is the only Diver Down track?? I mean, I know the album kind of sucks, but only one song?

The other Diver Down tracks I had were:
Hang 'Em High at #48.
The Ful Bug at #11.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #555 on: May 06, 2022, 03:27:24 PM »
I find that surprising too.  I had Hang 'em High at 31 and the Full Bug at 27.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #556 on: May 06, 2022, 03:30:31 PM »
Shit, I didn't know about Humans Being.  What was this song released on?

The soundtrack to the Twister flick.

I know at the time that Sammy didn't want to do as he didn't want fans to have to buy a soundtrack just to hear their one song, but the brothers overruled him and he caved (IIRC).

The soundtrack also has a instrumental by just Alex and Eddie called Respect the Wind.  Really good song, one featuring just Eddie on guitar and Alex on keys.  I am pretty sure that was played over the end credits in the film.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #557 on: May 06, 2022, 03:32:36 PM »
I'll check that out.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #558 on: May 06, 2022, 03:40:46 PM »
Humans Being is not bad.  Not sure if it would have ranked but could be close.  That chorus reminds me of Harem Scarem.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #559 on: May 06, 2022, 04:47:06 PM »

42 Humans Being

41 Little Guitars

Humans Being - ok this is a miss for me. Sorry, I actually forgot to include non-album tracks....

Little Guitars - Ranked 34 for me. Totally agree with Kev that this is the best song on the album and it is the only song from Diver Down I ranked in my top 50 so I guess I got that part right. I am just not much of a fan of DD. I do love the Pretty Woman cover but I just couldn't rank it.