Author Topic: Official top 50 Van Halen songs thread!! (Countdown has begun!!)  (Read 27148 times)

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
Submitted my list. I'll be interested to see if anyone else has my #1 song very high; or even my #2 for that matter. Might be considered idiosyncratic.

I'm fairly certain that I'm the only one who has my 'number 1' in the top 10.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Is his #1 in my Top 10?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Realm

Submitted my list. I'll be interested to see if anyone else has my #1 song very high; or even my #2 for that matter. Might be considered idiosyncratic.

I really think this could be the case for any of us. We already know that at a maximum only 2 songs are going to appear on everyone's lists so that tells me this top 50 could be anything. I think it is highly likely everyone has a different number 1 song. Van Halen has never been a band to me where I can easily say this or that track is the 'iconic' VH song.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Is his #1 in my Top 10?

If you are referring to WilliamMunny, no.  In fact, it is not even in your top 50.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Is his #1 in my Top 10?

If you are referring to WilliamMunny, no.  In fact, it is not even in your top 50.

I was referring to Dream Team.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Is his #1 in my Top 10?

I was referring to Dream Team.

Dream Team's number 1 is not in your top 10, but is in your top 50.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Gotcha!

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
Van Halen has never been a band to me where I can easily say this or that track is the 'iconic' VH song.

Well, they’ve definitely got a handful of iconic songs. But then they have the biggest divide where the two main singers opens a chasm of different opinions. Each singer probably has 5 or 6 different tracks that could be looked at as “this is THE one”. But that’s always THE one of their era. So, in short, I agree with you.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline Trav86

I’m curious to see how “average” my list ends up being.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline WardySI

PM'd you thanks Kev🤘

Expect mine will be same too 😁

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm having a listen to VH3 right now.  I'm up to Once.  Yeah, this isn't great at all but it's not as bad as the reputation it has, I think.  Not sure if I'll make it to the end though, there's really nothing here worthwhile besides a few Eddie licks.

EDIT:  In Once, Cherone sounds like he's been tied to a chair and tortured but Eddie is all class here.

Might come back to the rest later lol.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I'm having a listen to VH3 right now.  I'm up to Once.  Yeah, this isn't great at all but it's not as bad as the reputation it has, I think.  Not sure if I'll make it to the end though, there's really nothing here worthwhile besides a few Eddie licks.

EDIT:  In Once, Cherone sounds like he's been tied to a chair and tortured but Eddie is all class here.

Might come back to the rest later lol.

I know I have said it many times already, but whoever decided that Cherone should tried his hardest to sound like Sammy Hagar on III should be nut punched.  I think there are some good songs and a certain charm to III (even if it is still my 11th favorite VH album out of 12), but I can't help but wonder how it might have sounded had Cherone sang in his normal tone throughout.  The mellow parts of Year to the Day and his lead vocal parts in How Many Say I are the closest we get to Extreme-sounding Cherone.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Having a run through WACF.......meh.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Romeo Delight?
Fools?
In A Simple Rhyme?

Offline Setlist Scotty

Romeo Delight?
Fools?
In A Simple Rhyme?
What about Take Your Whiskey Home? Gotta love that classic riff!
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Romeo Delight?
Fools?
In A Simple Rhyme?

Made my list, brother!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Romeo Delight? - Yes
Fools? - Meh
In A Simple Rhyme? - Meh

Actually found Loss of Control one of the more interesting ones.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Romeo Delight?
Fools?
In A Simple Rhyme?

Nah.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Diver Down...........this one is pretty fucking terrible.

I'm gonna try my hardest to get a list done, but yeah, not becoming more of a fan here.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Romeo Delight? - Yes
Fools? - Meh
In A Simple Rhyme? - Meh

Actually found Loss of Control one of the more interesting ones.

Loss Of Control made my list too. One of the more underrated VH tracks. The band is on fire on that one.

It's all about The Full Bug. ..

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
The Full Bag easily, and hang 'em High.

Yeah, not sure what the consensus is on Loss of Control, but that was unique and interesting adn yeah the band rips.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Yeah, not sure what the consensus is on Loss of Control, but that was unique and interesting adn yeah the band rips.

Yup, Hang 'em High just made it, and Little Guitars is a nice tune. Eddie is all class.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Yup, Hang 'em High just made it, and Little Guitars is a nice tune. Eddie is all class.

I dunno, these sorts of tunes I just don't care for at all.

I'll keep working through.  Public holiday tomorrow so I'll have a chance to get through the last couple of albums and hopefully revisit most of what stuck and come up with something. 

Offline jammindude

Shocking.

I mean, I get that the covers aren’t that great, but The Full Bug and Hang ‘Em High are just smokin! Little Guitars is excellent as well.  I quite like the smooth shuffle of Secrets as well.

And you have to accept Big Bad Bill for what it is…and I think it’s fun.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Diver Down is solid, but nothing from it had a prayer of making my top 50.  It's the only VH album not represented in my top 50 (even III had one song make it).

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape

Shocking.

I mean, I get that the covers aren’t that great, but The Full Bug and Hang ‘Em High are just smokin! Little Guitars is excellent as well.  I quite like the smooth shuffle of Secrets as well.

call me crazy, but I LOVE 'Pretty Woman'

One of my first musical memories is watching that video on MTV, and for a long time (probably until the Julia Roberts movie came out), I assumed that was a VH original. Didn't sound all that far removed from 'Jamie's Cryin' to my young ears.

Offline jammindude

Shocking.

One of my first musical memories is watching that video on MTV, and for a long time (probably until the Julia Roberts movie came out), I assumed that was a VH original. Didn't sound all that far removed from 'Jamie's Cryin' to my young ears.

Good point. I was thinking more of Where Have All the Good Times Gone and Dancing in the Street. Although, truth be told, I kinda like them too. They just don’t hold up to the original stuff.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I skipped the fuck out of both those cover songs.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I'll keep working through.  Public holiday tomorrow so I'll have a chance to get through the last couple of albums and hopefully revisit most of what stuck and come up with something.

So this will fall short today.

However, I'm listening to FUCK now, and this is more like it.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...

Shocking.

The pairing Intruder/Pretty Woman is amazing!!

"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
I think someone hacked into Wolfking's account, or that lightning bolt fried some of his circuits!  :) :) :)

In A Simply Rhyme is, shall we say, "shockingly" high on my list (single digits) and I LOVE Diver Down.  I know what it is, transitional, made under duress and the band is not on the same page with each other, but that's what makes the good songs great.  I don't care about covers, because Eddie makes every song his own.   "Oh, Pretty Woman" sounds NOTHING like the Roy Orbison original.  "Dancing..." slays the Bowie/Jagger version, and is a classic tune on its own.

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
I think someone hacked into Wolfking's account, or that lightning bolt fried some of his circuits!  :) :) :)

In A Simply Rhyme is, shall we say, "shockingly" high on my list (single digits) and I LOVE Diver Down.  I know what it is, transitional, made under duress and the band is not on the same page with each other, but that's what makes the good songs great.  I don't care about covers, because Eddie makes every song his own.   "Oh, Pretty Woman" sounds NOTHING like the Roy Orbison original.  "Dancing..." slays the Bowie/Jagger version, and is a classic tune on its own.

In a Simple Rhyme is in my single digits as well, and as for Diver Down, two tracks from that one made my top 10, and three made it overall.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The only cover worth anything is You Really Got Me. Pretty Woman and Dancin’ are both quite weak. The only interesting thing about Pretty Woman is Intruder, which they only made for the ridiculous video.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
wolfking, maybe Van Halen just isn't for you.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline HOF

So this will fall short today.

However, I'm listening to FUCK now, and this is more like it.

Now you’re getting to the best era of VH.