Author Topic: Official top 50 Van Halen songs thread!! (Countdown has begun!!)  (Read 28619 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Official top 50 Van Halen songs thread!! (Countdown going!)
« Reply #455 on: May 02, 2022, 06:38:15 PM »
Okay, away we go!!

Time to "feel" the love so good.

50 Feel Your Love Tonight
Appeared on 12 of 17  entrees
Top 10 finishes: 2
Highest Ranking: 5 (Stadler)

This barely made the list of a majority of the lists on which it appeared, but enough to squeeze in at number 50.  It was unranked for me, as it has always been my least favorite song from the debut, but no shame in that.

49 Feels So Good
Appeared on 8 of 17  entrees
Top 10 finishes: 0
Highest Ranking: 11 (DragonAttack)

This came at 31 for me, and I was surprised it wasn't a little higher.  Always loved this one, even back in the days when OU812 was one of my least favorites.  Love the warmness of that keyboard line.  Just a great song to tap your foot.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Official top 50 Van Halen songs thread!! (Countdown has begun!!)
« Reply #456 on: May 02, 2022, 06:40:24 PM »
Feel Your Love Tonight was 50 for me too.

Feels So Good did not rank.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #457 on: May 02, 2022, 06:43:52 PM »
Feel Your Love Tonight was 50 for me too.

Feels So Good did not rank.

Ha! same here. I also had Feel Your Love Tonight at #50. It's not a bad song by any stretch. Always enjoyable.

Feels So Good just missed my Top 50.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #458 on: May 02, 2022, 06:46:15 PM »
I like both of these but were 60-70 ish.  Great solo in Feels So Good could've pushed it higher but yeah........like everything great bar the chorus.  Feel Your Love Tonight loses out for being one of my least favourite tracks on album that's up there in terms of all time best ( I did in fact rank it #1 in my DTF Top 50)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #459 on: May 02, 2022, 06:47:28 PM »

49 Feels So Good

Feel Your Love Tonight arrived at 15 for me, making it the second highest ranked song from the debut on my list. Great riff, nice vocal parts, Alex giving the drums a good thrashing, what’s not to like?

Feels So Good was two places higher at number 13. This is my favourite song on OU812, but that doesn’t really say much. Good keyboard section and some decent grooves, with the trademark VH harmonies coming out during the choruses. Decent tune. 
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #460 on: May 02, 2022, 06:48:36 PM »

49 Feels So Good

Feel Your Love Tonight arrived at 15 for me, making it the second highest ranked song from the debut on my list. Great riff, nice vocal parts, Alex giving the drums a good thrashing, what’s not to like?

Feels So Good was two places higher at number 15. This is my favourite song on OU812, but that doesn’t really say much. Good keyboard section and some decent grooves, with the trademark VH harmonies coming out during the choruses. Decent tune.

not computing for me Deadeye  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #461 on: May 02, 2022, 06:50:59 PM »
I think he meant Feels So Good was as his number 13, although it doesn't say much if he considers his 13th favorite VH song a "decent tune."  :eek :eek :lol :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #462 on: May 02, 2022, 06:51:22 PM »

Feels So Good was two places higher at number 15. This is my favourite song on OU812, but that doesn’t really say much. Good keyboard section and some decent grooves, with the trademark VH harmonies coming out during the choruses. Decent tune.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #463 on: May 02, 2022, 06:51:34 PM »

49 Feels So Good

Feel Your Love Tonight arrived at 15 for me,
Feels So Good was two places higher at number 15. This is my favourite song on OU812, but that doesn’t really say much.

not computing for me Deadeye  ;D

Yeah, sorry. I just woke up.

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #464 on: May 02, 2022, 06:53:13 PM »
I think he meant Feels So Good was as his number 13, although it doesn't say much if he considers his 13th favorite VH song a "decent tune."  :eek :eek :lol :lol

The first 13 on my list are all “my favourites in their album”, which I regret doing now, coz The Dream is Over very soon after became top 10 material for me, and Feels So Good fell way out of favour.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #465 on: May 02, 2022, 06:55:17 PM »
Righto - sounded like you liked Feel Your Love Tonight (15) much better than Feels So Good (13, now it makes more sense

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #466 on: May 02, 2022, 06:56:13 PM »
Righto - sounded like you liked Feel Your Love Tonight (15) much better than Feels So Good (13) , now it makes more sense.

Yeah, I really do now. I did my list in a rush to get it in, and then it’s really nit how I’d rank things today.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #467 on: May 02, 2022, 06:57:06 PM »
Righto - sounded like you liked Feel Your Love Tonight (15) much better than Feels So Good (13) which is in fact the case - didn't initialy compute :)

Someone liking Feel Your Love Tonight a lot more than Feels So Good does not compute at all.  :biggrin:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #468 on: May 02, 2022, 06:57:43 PM »
Righto - sounded like you liked Feel Your Love Tonight (15) much better than Feels So Good (13) which is in fact the case - didn't initialy compute :)

Someone liking Feel Your Love Tonight a lot more than Feels So Good does not compute at all.  :biggrin:

I guess it depends......

...how you "feel".

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #469 on: May 02, 2022, 07:02:10 PM »

This barely made the list of a majority of the lists on which it appeared, but enough to squeeze in at number 50.  It was unranked for me, as it has always been my least favorite song from the debut, but no shame in that.

49 Feels So Good

This came at 31 for me, and I was surprised it wasn't a little higher.  Always loved this one, even back in the days when OU812 was one of my least favorites.  Love the warmness of that keyboard line.  Just a great song to tap your foot.

Feel Your Love Tonight - This dropped in at number 82 for me. I think it was hurt by the fact that I kept comparing it to Tonight I'm Gonna Rock You Tonight by Spinal Tap in my head  :lol Not a bad song though...

Feels So Good - This didn't even make my top 100. It landed at #110. This song falls into the "Joe Walsh Life's Been Good" category of awfulness. It's annoyingly repetitive and in a way that makes me sick to my stomach. Not even a decent EVH solo can save this song.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #470 on: May 02, 2022, 07:06:06 PM »

Feel Your Love Tonight - This dropped in at number 82 for me. I think it was hurt by the fact that I kept comparing it to Tonight I'm Gonna Rock You Tonight by Spinal Tap in my head  :lol Not a bad song though...

I mean, seriously..what song stands a chance in comparison? :lol

Online The Realm

« Reply #471 on: May 02, 2022, 07:50:40 PM »

49 Feels So Good

Feel Your Love Tonight - This was number 10 for me, I love this song. It is a really great, catchy rocker and I've always loved the vocals/back up vocals on this track. Did I think it would be higher overall? Probably but I reckon it is going to hard to pick any order overall in this countdown which is what is going to make it so great.

Feels So Good - Unranked. Once upon a time I would have had this fairly high but not so much these days. Not much of a fan overall of this album which made it hard to get songs in the top 50.

Offline HOF

« Reply #472 on: May 02, 2022, 08:00:09 PM »
Feel Your Love is a good song, definitely up there in terms of Roth songs for me, but it missed the top 50. I didn’t thoroughly rank songs beyond 50, but I have it at 66 on my spreadsheet. Maybe would have gone a bit higher if we were ranking past 50. I like it when VH channeled The Beach Boys.

Feels So Good ranked at 13 for me. It also channels The Beach Boys and is sort of the 80s equivalent of Feel Your Love I guess. A little more clean cut and sentimental though. I like the organ over guitar aspect of this one. Unique for VH. The solo is really good, but that’s gonna be a standing compliment for just about all of these songs I guess. It’s mostly one I have a lot of nostalgia for. Like it says on the label, it’s a feel good song.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 08:06:25 PM by HOF »

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #473 on: May 02, 2022, 09:10:10 PM »
I didn't rank both songs, but I'm really pleasant surprised that Feels So Good made the Top 50!! What a nice song with that "cute" keyboard! I guess maybe I have been a little shy to include it in my Top 50...
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #474 on: May 03, 2022, 07:53:07 AM »
I had Feels So Good at 37; good tune, one of the better on OU812 (not my favorite VH record by a long shot) and one of the better Sammy songs generally.  But Feel Your Love Tonight is a quintessential VH tune for me.  It's got everything I LOVE about Van Halen in a concise 3:43.  The opening riff, the gang vocals... I love that song.

I love that the FIRST SONG has me with the highest ranking.  Probably won't be the last song like that; I predict there are FIVE songs for which I have the highest ranking of the group. 

Online WardySI

« Reply #475 on: May 03, 2022, 03:34:22 PM »
Whoah had Feels So Good at 20 and honestly felt O might be the only one to include it tbh but its exactly as it's title says and as a big fan of OU812 I couldn't not include it quite chuffed to see others had it too \m/

Expect I won't be saying the same of some of the more obscure OU812 tracks but I'll take it, well played! ;D

Had Feel Your Love at 45 great song!

Online The Realm

« Reply #476 on: May 03, 2022, 04:11:20 PM »
I had Feels So Good at 37; good tune, one of the better on OU812 (not my favorite VH record by a long shot) and one of the better Sammy songs generally. But Feel Your Love Tonight is a quintessential VH tune for me.  It's got everything I LOVE about Van Halen in a concise 3:43.  The opening riff, the gang vocals... I love that song.

I love that the FIRST SONG has me with the highest ranking.  Probably won't be the last song like that; I predict there are FIVE songs for which I have the highest ranking of the group.

Awesome Stadler - we are 100% on the same page with Feel Your Love Tonight.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #477 on: May 03, 2022, 05:25:55 PM »
Kinda funny that today's two songs are the track 1s from the first two Sammy albums.

48 Good Enough
Appeared on 10 of 17  entrees
Highest Ranking: 7 (Puppies_On_Acid)

To be honest, I have never much cared for this song.  The riff is great, and it has that party rock vibe, but I think the chorus is a bit lacking.

47 Mine All Mine
Highest Ranking: 1 (devieira73, WardySI)

This has the honor of being the first VH song I ever saw live, as they opened with it when we saw them on the Right Here, Right Now tour.  It's wild to see that a song that was number 1 in two of the 17 lists is finishing only at 47.  No one else had it in their top 20. I had it at 34.  This is the second of three songs from OU812 to make the top 50.

Offline HOF

« Reply #478 on: May 03, 2022, 05:41:38 PM »
Good Enough - Don’t like it, didn’t rank it.

Mine All Mine came in at 42. It has a great atmosphere and makes for a nice, driving opener. Lyrics are on the more serious/spiritual side, though there are some parts of it I’m not a fan of just personally speaking. One of a few different Sammy lyrics where I kind of go “hmmm, not really buying what you’re saying, but I at least appreciate the deeper thoughts.” A really strong Alex song too.

Online The Realm

« Reply #479 on: May 03, 2022, 05:50:22 PM »

48 Good Enough

47 Mine All Mine

Good Enough - number 36 for me. I really enjoy this song, just has a great vibe and great guitar work by Eddie.

Mine All Mine - unranked by me but I do like this song. Very surprised to see it as number 1 on two lists.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #480 on: May 03, 2022, 05:53:36 PM »
Mine All Mine - unranked by me but I do like this song. Very surprised to see it as number 1 on two lists.

Same here 100%

I also didn't rank Good Enough. In the end.....

it wasnt......

Good Enough.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #481 on: May 03, 2022, 05:57:25 PM »
Good enough is a cool song and all, but... (Tim already said it ;D)
What a surprise, I thought I was the only to like Mine All Mine THIS much! It has a very interesting arrangement in the sense that it should be driven by a heavy guitar riff, but, instead, it has that mix of keyboard/acoustic guitar/guitar and that cowbell echoing (hahaha - surprisingly cool here) that makes the song sounds totally unique. Alex's drumming, Sammy vocals (maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like the lyric are nice too) and specially Eddie's solo are between my faves from all VH's recordings and... it's a song that I NEVER get tired of hearing, I find it always extremely exciting! :metal :metal :metal
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #482 on: May 03, 2022, 06:13:17 PM »
Kinda funny that today's two songs are the track 1s from the first two Sammy albums.

48 Good Enough

47 Mine All Mine

Good Enough - It wasn’t. Not really that big of a fan of this one, though it came 4th in my individual rankings for the 5150 album. The “hello baby” kinda taints this song for me too. Bit of a shame.

Mine All Mine - 46th. This has everything I like in a VH song. I just think other tracks do it way better. I apparently have it higher than the average score though, which is cool. In hindsight, this is actually a lot better than the top track of of OU812 in my list, which you can all see in yesterday’s ranking.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #483 on: May 03, 2022, 06:34:12 PM »
I had Mine All Mine at 38 and Good Enough at 40 = like both of them and I actually like pretty much everything down to around the 70-75 mark.   I wish that keyboard intro to Mine All Mine had a bigger production on it...........loved it at the time but it's lacking some oomph.  On review I really should have a little more Hagar stuff on my Top 50 list but it's getting pretty thin beyond these two.   
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 06:58:17 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #484 on: May 03, 2022, 07:29:36 PM »
Had Good Enough at 48 and Mine All Mine at 33.  Insane it topped 2 lists.  It is a very cool song.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #485 on: May 03, 2022, 08:02:48 PM »
Are you going to post the updated ranks on the first page like you did on previous threads?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #486 on: May 03, 2022, 08:03:44 PM »
Kev, how many songs appeared on everyone's list?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #487 on: May 03, 2022, 08:11:48 PM »
Kev, how many songs appeared on everyone's list?

Just two: Outta Space and How Many Say I.

Are you going to post the updated ranks on the first page like you did on previous threads?

Maybe. :P

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #488 on: May 03, 2022, 08:14:08 PM »
Seems someone has tight shorts on tonight.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #489 on: May 03, 2022, 10:52:39 PM »
48 Good Enough

To be honest, I have never much cared for this song.  The riff is great, and it has that party rock vibe, but I think the chorus is a bit lacking.

47 Mine All Mine

This has the honor of being the first VH song I ever saw live, as they opened with it when we saw them on the Right Here, Right Now tour.  It's wild to see that a song that was number 1 in two of the 17 lists is finishing only at 47.  No one else had it in their top 20. I had it at 34.  This is the second of three songs from OU812 to make the top 50.

Good Enough - Definitely a great and fun song. Great first impression by Sammy. Just proves that Sammy is the best Van Halen vocalist, by a long shot.

Mine All Mine - Came in at #75. Not a bad song, just nothing special.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar