Author Topic: 2022 NFL Thread (Chiefs win Super Bowl 57)  (Read 103016 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 2022 NFL Thread
« Reply #2240 on: January 08, 2023, 08:41:14 PM »
I’ve been dealing with a monumental amount of drama the last few days. Did the cancelled game end up making any difference? Or did the way things shaked out today make it a moot point?

Yes.  All three teams won (KC, Buff, Cincy), so KC is the 1, Buffalo the 2 and Cincy the 3 seed.

Had the Bills won last Monday, they would have been the 1 seed and KC the 2.

Had the Bengals won last Monday, they would have been the 2 seed and Buffalo the 3.

The neutral site deals with even it out a little, but the Chiefs getting the bye is a major advantage that they didn't totally earn, but like has been discussed prior, there is not much the league could do.  The scenario they came up with was the best they could do. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2241 on: January 08, 2023, 08:41:22 PM »
They figured it out with a reasonable solution if it comes down to those teams in the playoffs. Smarter people than I could take a stab at explaining it.

Meanwhile... GO LIONS! Seahawks dropped to 5th in the draft order thanks to Wilson actually playing a good game today. Let's not lose out on the playoffs too!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2242 on: January 08, 2023, 08:45:48 PM »
The funny thing about this current game is that Rodgers would actually be doing his legacy a favor by losing tonight.  People are so stupid with narratives now that if they win tonight and then get blasted by the 49ers next week, people will run with the stupid "OMG, RODGERS IS A POSTSEASON CHOKER" false narrative again (ignoring that he had been mostly a great postseason player until his last two playoff games).  However, if they lose tonight, he misses the playoffs and won't have another playoff loss to give the internet mouths ammo.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2243 on: January 08, 2023, 08:48:44 PM »
And I’m not buying that idea that the lions have nothing to play for. They can either play spoiler for the Packers, or spoiler for the Seahawks. Given a choice between the two, I am thinking they would rather be a spoiler for their division rivals.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online faizoff

« Reply #2244 on: January 08, 2023, 09:04:15 PM »
I like how the Packers and Seahawks are competing to get ass blasted by the 9ers next week.  :biggrin:
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2245 on: January 08, 2023, 09:12:31 PM »
I like how the Packers and Seahawks are competing to get ass blasted by the 9ers next week.  :biggrin:

I mean…I’m almost certain that you’re absolutely right. But as Boomer used to say, “That’s why they play the games!” :xbones

EDIT - I still remember when the Seahawks had their very first playoff run in 1983, and won the wild card game to line up in the Divisional round against the HEAVILY favored, Marino-led Dolphins in Miami…and shocked the crap out of everyone by beating them. Anything can happen.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2246 on: January 08, 2023, 09:25:44 PM »
Well, I have to admit that at first I didn’t even really want Seattle to make the playoffs because they’re not good enough to get there, and I think it would just be embarrassing ourselves. However, then I heard Geno Smith say that it was a big dream of his to make the playoffs, and he had never done it before. So just because he had such a great season for us, I am really happy to see Geno achieve his dream of finally getting to the playoffs at least one time in his career.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2247 on: January 08, 2023, 10:23:28 PM »
Random thought while watching the games earlier today:  Is Matthew Slater a HOFer?  And if he is, would he and his father be the first father/son combo in the HOF?

I have a semi-/tangentially personal interest in the matter.  My wife taught Matthew in jr. high while I was in law school.  It was a ritzy Catholic school (that paid its teachers for shit), and they had a fancy fundraising banquet that we attended, so I got to meet Jackie once.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2248 on: January 08, 2023, 10:57:18 PM »
Random thought while watching the games earlier today:  Is Matthew Slater a HOFer?  And if he is, would he and his father be the first father/son combo in the HOF?

I have a semi-/tangentially personal interest in the matter.  My wife taught Matthew in jr. high while I was in law school.  It was a ritzy Catholic school (that paid its teachers for shit), and they had a fancy fundraising banquet that we attended, so I got to meet Jackie once.
The NFL-HOF has steadfastly ignored special teamers, so probably not. So long as Steve Tasker and Devin Hester aren't included it seems unlikely that they'd give MS the nod. In truth, all three of them should get in, but that seems a tall order. Add to that, Vinatieri should be coming up, and he'll fill their special teams quota up for a few more years. Probably until Tucker is eligible. Shame, though. I'd really like to see Slater get in.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline T-ski

« Reply #2249 on: January 09, 2023, 05:55:58 AM »
Hopefully the Packers have a new QB and Coach next year.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2250 on: January 09, 2023, 09:20:22 AM »
Do you really think a newly drafted QB or free agent pick-up would be better than Rogers next year? Or is it more a of "it's just time to rebuild without Rogers" kind of thing even if it means not being as competitive next season?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2251 on: January 09, 2023, 09:29:41 AM »
I'm just happy the Giants made it into the playoffs and maintained an overall winning record. I did not expect that this season and am also happy they get a winnable game in the first round, but even if they do win, they aren't beating the Eagles so the end is basically here for this team, but I think the season was a success and I hope coach Daboll continues to improve for next season (even with lots of questions about who's going to be QB and RB next year)

Offline emtee

« Reply #2252 on: January 09, 2023, 10:20:01 AM »
It was a terrible start but ended up being a fun season for my Lions. With several high draft picks and a new culture...look out next season!

I love the playoffs. Sometimes even more so with no horse in the race because I just focus on watching great games.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #2253 on: January 09, 2023, 10:31:55 AM »
Do you really think a newly drafted QB or free agent pick-up would be better than Rogers next year? Or is it more a of "it's just time to rebuild without Rogers" kind of thing even if it means not being as competitive next season?

Jordan Love has been the backup for 3 years and I feel confident he could have led them to an 8-9 record this year as well. There is nothing to rebuild, the defense is young and just needs someone who isn’t dumber than a box of rocks to lead them. The offense couldn’t have looked much worse than it did this season and that’s on Rodgers as much as it was on LaFleur.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2254 on: January 09, 2023, 10:48:43 AM »
Predicting where TB12 and St. Rogers will wind up is interesting. The logical assumption is that Brady would join JMD in Vegas. However, Denver is looking far more likely as he wants to play for Sean Payton. Seems like a good fit. He'd probably wind up in a similar situation to what Payton did in which to run out the clock. The problem with Rogers is his contract. He'd be a very good fit in Vegas with JMD, but I'm not sure they could absorb his contract, and there's no way GB can cut him outright (massive dead cap hit, as in nearly 100M). Unless he plays another 4 years or so his contract is pretty limiting no matter where he goes. I'm also not sure how GB would handle a trade.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online faizoff

« Reply #2255 on: January 09, 2023, 11:24:50 AM »
Does Brady even play after this season? I mean he's still personally playing at a high level though not as good as he was in previous years. I would think he'll hang up after the playoffs whether or not they go far.

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2256 on: January 09, 2023, 11:25:19 AM »
Predicting where TB12 and St. Rogers will wind up is interesting. The logical assumption is that Brady would join JMD in Vegas. However, Denver is looking far more likely as he wants to play for Sean Payton. Seems like a good fit. He'd probably wind up in a similar situation to what Payton did in which to run out the clock. The problem with Rogers is his contract. He'd be a very good fit in Vegas with JMD, but I'm not sure they could absorb his contract, and there's no way GB can cut him outright (massive dead cap hit, as in nearly 100M). Unless he plays another 4 years or so his contract is pretty limiting no matter where he goes. I'm also not sure how GB would handle a trade.

The JMD/Vegas thing is baffling to me; maybe my assessment of Carr isn't realistic, but this season isn't on him, IMO.  That means there are other problems.   Brady coming in would solve many of them, but does either one want that?  Brady has already proven he can do it without Belichich, Inc., but McDaniels has certainly not shown ANYONE that he can do it without either Bill or Tom; why would he invite that back into his life?

Offline T-ski

« Reply #2257 on: January 09, 2023, 11:32:30 AM »

Here’s a good breakdown of the Rodgers cap situation, best case scenario for the Packers is he retires or is traded after June 1st…..

https://overthecap.com/looking-ahead-to-the-packers-options-with-aaron-rodgers

Offline Skeever

« Reply #2258 on: January 09, 2023, 12:35:37 PM »

Here’s a good breakdown of the Rodgers cap situation, best case scenario for the Packers is he retires or is traded after June 1st…..

If you don't have to give up much other than pay him, I'll take him as a Jet for a year, while drafting developmental projects (assuming that's not Wilson) behind him.

Jets still have several years before they'll have to pony up for Sauce Gardner, Garret Wilson, Breece Hall, etc...  if there was a time to make a play like this, it's now.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2259 on: January 09, 2023, 12:44:46 PM »

The JMD/Vegas thing is baffling to me; maybe my assessment of Carr isn't realistic, but this season isn't on him, IMO.  That means there are other problems.   Brady coming in would solve many of them, but does either one want that?  Brady has already proven he can do it without Belichich, Inc., but McDaniels has certainly not shown ANYONE that he can do it without either Bill or Tom; why would he invite that back into his life?
Pretty sure TB has won a couple without JMD. Granted, those were with the D largely carrying him, but still. And I think he'd like to play somewhere where he can enjoy himself and contend for another Owl. And by all accounts Vegas was Brady's first choice a few years ago. As for JMD, word is he wants to train the next TB12, and he thinks he can. That's probably why they jettisoned Carr. As for that guy, this season probably wasn't on him, but the last 4 have been. JMD was probably seen as his last chance and it didn't work out.

Word is that Davis desperately wants TB12 in town. He did 3 years ago and Gruden wouldn't do it. Now he's got leverage, so if TB is interested it'll be a go. Vegas has a problem where they have no fan base. That takes time. He think Brady would speed the process up. Combined with the fact that Vegas is a great, cheap tourist destination and other teams are packing his shiny new stadium, he wants to sucker his own fans in. 

I still think Denver might be a better match, though.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2260 on: January 09, 2023, 12:48:59 PM »
There was rumors that Brady and Payton was a thing last year to the Dolphins but the plan to suck came out with Flores ratting out the owner asking to lose.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2261 on: January 09, 2023, 12:57:21 PM »
There was rumors that Brady and Payton was a thing last year to the Dolphins but the plan to suck came out with Flores ratting out the owner asking to lose.
Yeah, but the takeaway was that Brady wanted to play with Payton, and that could come about in DEN. The problem there is cap space. Dumping Wilson wouldn't be too terrible, but they certainly wouldn't have any money left to do something about their O-line.
E.F. Benson

Offline T-ski

« Reply #2262 on: January 09, 2023, 01:02:59 PM »

If you don't have to give up much other than pay him, I'll take him as a Jet for a year, while drafting developmental projects (assuming that's not Wilson) behind him.

Jets still have several years before they'll have to pony up for Sauce Gardner, Garret Wilson, Breece Hall, etc...  if there was a time to make a play like this, it's now.

If I was in charge Rodgers would be in Denver right now and Wilson wouldn’t be. The Jets can have him I guarantee they’ll hate him by mid season.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2263 on: January 09, 2023, 05:10:28 PM »
Does Brady even play after this season? I mean he's still personally playing at a high level though not as good as he was in previous years. I would think he'll hang up after the playoffs whether or not they go far.

I'd be shocked if Brady didn't play next year.  I don't think he sank his marriage just to come back and play one more season and then call it a day.  He is pretty full of himself and likely thinks he can play another five years.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2264 on: January 10, 2023, 06:56:28 AM »

I'd be shocked if Brady didn't play next year.  I don't think he sank his marriage just to come back and play one more season and then call it a day.  He is pretty full of himself and likely thinks he can play another five years.

And even though he made the playoffs, I can see going out with his first losing record ever is not a pleasant thought.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2265 on: January 10, 2023, 07:16:26 AM »
The way he even got into the playoffs is ridiculous. 8-9 and the worst point differential in the division and having to beat out all-time greats Andy Dalton, Sam Darnold, and Desmond Ritter.  :facepalm:

What a crazy year this year for QBs. Top 10 in QBR:

Mahomes
Allen
Tua
Hurts
Goff
Geno
Daniel Jones
Brisset
t
Lamar
Burrow

So the Steelers could have made the playoffs if Joe Flacco could have scored more than 6 points in regulation. Bad thing to bet on it turns out.
Bummer we can't have Detroit in the playoffs, what a fun team.

Looking ahead to the playoffs, Dallas gave a good preview Sunday of how they're going to implode and lose 17-16 in the Wild Card round. I expect Buffalo and SF to have the easiest wins, the other games should be close and good (if Lamar is playing well).

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2266 on: January 10, 2023, 07:30:32 AM »
The way he even got into the playoffs is ridiculous. 8-9 and the worst point differential in the division and having to beat out all-time greats Andy Dalton, Sam Darnold, and Desmond Ritter.  :facepalm:

Mahomes
Allen
Tua
Hurts
Goff
Geno
Daniel Jones
Brisset
t
Lamar
Burrow

So the Steelers could have made the playoffs if Joe Flacco could have scored more than 6 points in regulation. Bad thing to bet on it turns out.

Looking ahead to the playoffs, Dallas gave a good preview Sunday of how they're going to implode and lose 17-16 in the Wild Card round. I expect Buffalo and SF to have the easiest wins, the other games should be close and good (if Lamar is playing well).

Is Lamar playing at all?   Last I heard, he wasn't progressing like expected.

Hey, Dream Team, I've been meaning to ask:  want to go see "80 For Brady" with me this weekend?  Should be a hoot!   :) :) :). (By the way, one, I'd rather watch paint dry than see this movie, and two, this probably belongs in the "Movies and TV" section, but Rita Moreno is a freak of nature; she's 91 freakin' years old and looks 40 years younger than that. That woman is AGELESS.). 
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 08:37:11 AM by Stadler »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2267 on: January 10, 2023, 09:45:22 AM »
I heard on the radio this morning that the last four teams to enter the playoffs with a 10 (or more) game winning streak are a combined 1-4 in the playoffs.

Also, for whatever reason, I find it amusing that folks refer to "Tua" and "Lamar" but not "Josh" and "Joe."   :)
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2268 on: January 10, 2023, 12:22:05 PM »
I heard on the radio this morning that the last four teams to enter the playoffs with a 10 (or more) game winning streak are a combined 1-4 in the playoffs.

Also, for whatever reason, I find it amusing that folks refer to "Tua" and "Lamar" but not "Josh" and "Joe."   :)
In fairness, nobody can pronounce Tagomonoplowa, much less pronounce it.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2269 on: January 10, 2023, 01:43:26 PM »
And I've heard many say Lamar Jackson.  Tua on the other hand..... Yeah, what El Barto said.  LOL
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2270 on: January 10, 2023, 03:59:55 PM »

Isn't that a Polynesian potato vodka?
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #2271 on: January 10, 2023, 04:22:34 PM »

Mahomes
Allen
Tua
Hurts
Goff
Geno
Daniel Jones
Brisset
t
Lamar
Burrow

Is Lamar playing at all?   Last I heard, he wasn't progressing like expected.

Hey, Dream Team, I've been meaning to ask:  want to go see "80 For Brady" with me this weekend?  Should be a hoot!   :) :) :). (By the way, one, I'd rather watch paint dry than see this movie, and two, this probably belongs in the "Movies and TV" section, but Rita Moreno is a freak of nature; she's 91 freakin' years old and looks 40 years younger than that. That woman is AGELESS.).

Lamar isn't playing because he has no contract. When he went down with injury it was a huge wake-up call because he has no contract. There are those that say he will never play another down for the Ravens but I guess we will have to see.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2272 on: January 10, 2023, 05:01:49 PM »

Isn't that a Polynesian potato vodka?
:lol

Seriously, best kept secret in clear liquors. I've usually got a bottle in my freezer, though I haven't drank vodka for years. My stepfather was a master of seeking out the best affordable wine and spirits, and that was a staple. Meyers dark rum and Friexenet Cordon Negro are the two other things I got from him and still swear by.
E.F. Benson

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2273 on: January 10, 2023, 05:43:09 PM »
Ok…let’s do this…

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2274 on: January 10, 2023, 06:38:48 PM »
Ok…let’s do this…

:lol :lol  :corn :corn

It's gonna be a fun one for sure. If we win, I would be ecstatic.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD