Author Topic: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread  (Read 145210 times)

Offline romdrums

Re: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread
« Reply #700 on: October 25, 2021, 12:33:30 PM »
I swear they're called Century Media because it takes them a century to get you your media. :tdwn
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #701 on: October 25, 2021, 12:39:19 PM »
I swear they're called Century Media because it takes them a century to get you your media. :tdwn

:soon:
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #702 on: October 25, 2021, 12:44:05 PM »
My first attempt at a song ranking. I wouldn't be surprised to see it change over time.

1.   A View from the Top of the World
2.   Invisible Monster
3.   Answering the Call
4.   The Alien
5.   Awaken the Master
6.   Sleeping Giant
7.   Transcending Time

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #703 on: October 25, 2021, 12:57:40 PM »

:clap:

I ordered from Amazon and it's due tomorrow :)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #704 on: October 25, 2021, 12:58:38 PM »
My first attempt at a song ranking. I wouldn't be surprised to see it change over time.

1.   A View from the Top of the World
2.   Invisible Monster
3.   Answering the Call
4.   The Alien
5.   Awaken the Master
6.   Sleeping Giant
7.   Transcending Time

Yeah Sleeping Giant is the only one that hasn't fully clicked with me. But it's still miles better than a Surrender To Reason.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #705 on: October 25, 2021, 12:59:02 PM »
I listened to the album three times straight last night over a few beers and a shot of bourbon.  Man o' man, this album takes you on a adventure and is very fun to listen to. Not to mention, Labrie is fantastic on this record! I'll give a more detailed review later.   :coolio
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #706 on: October 25, 2021, 01:01:13 PM »
No offence to anyone but I don't get when people say " I can't wait to get high / drunk and listen to the new album ! "

Wouldn't you rather listen to it completely stone sober so your opinion isn't swayed at all ?

What if you listen to it intoxicated and love it - then every other time you're sober and hate it ?

Also - not pointing fingers are they saying they can't enjoy anything unless they're...medicated ?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #707 on: October 25, 2021, 01:07:47 PM »
No shit.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Mr.Mister

« Reply #708 on: October 25, 2021, 01:13:40 PM »
No offence to anyone but I don't get when people say " I can't wait to get high / drunk and listen to the new album ! "

Wouldn't you rather listen to it completely stone sober so your opinion isn't swayed at all ?

What if you listen to it intoxicated and love it - then every other time you're sober and hate it ?

Also - not pointing fingers are they saying they can't enjoy anything unless they're...medicated ?

Gummies make my music sound even better.  I think it makes my senses oddly sensitive so sounds that would go over my head on a regular basis I get to experience them differently (better in my case) I have enjoyed it sober first and I loved it tho.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #709 on: October 25, 2021, 01:16:59 PM »
Anyone else get that sensation when they're listening to music and they're dozing off - like they can hear they music better ? That's a weird one.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #710 on: October 25, 2021, 01:18:15 PM »

Feels like an odd thing to brag about or even mention really.  But, your questions seemed aimed as if this person would only listen intoxicated.  If that's not the case (which I suspect because most people aren't intoxicated 100% of the time they listen to music), then I think all your questions make no sense. 

Having said that, marijuana definitely heightens some senses including your perception of music.  It's an enjoyable experience (from my experience) to listen to some complicated music while under the influence of marijuana.  That's just me.  (as I listen to the album sober right now, but have listened under said influence already as well). 

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #711 on: October 25, 2021, 01:23:27 PM »
No shit.

smh
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #712 on: October 25, 2021, 01:33:20 PM »
Well I've listened to it completely sober three times before that and enjoyed it just as much.  Sometimes when you're in party (fun) mode, music is fun to listen to.  I wasn't blitzed or anything like that, but DT's music definitely puts me in a better mood whether I'm drinking or not.
When I see them live, I don't like to have more than one drink.  I want to remember everything clearly and not miss any of the show because of pee breaks. 
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 01:39:03 PM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #713 on: October 25, 2021, 01:36:13 PM »
:tup

Offline romdrums

« Reply #714 on: October 25, 2021, 01:40:22 PM »

:clap:

I ordered from Amazon and it's due tomorrow :)

I ordered the standard CD as well from Amazon and got it on Friday.  Did a similar thing with the new Frost* album earlier this year.  Still kind of annoying that Century Media can't get their shit together enough to get an album to its customers on release date.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Kram

« Reply #715 on: October 25, 2021, 02:01:12 PM »
After about 4 complete listens this album is just getting better and better.  A few new observations/opinions -

Invisible Monster is much better for me now that I can hear it in context with the rest of the album.  I still think it's the weakest song on the record - but it is much better than songs like A Rite of Passage, Paralyzed and other "duds" they've released as singles in the past.  It's a solid song.

The Title track is amazing and is probably going to end up as a top 20 (maybe higher) all-time DT song for me.  I like that it's "different" than their other epics (especially the ending).  It gives it it's own personality, and there's just so much tasty stuff in here I absolutely love it!

Other than MM, JLB is the real MVP of this record.  One if his best performances of his career IMO.  Everybody is excellent on this album, but JLB and MM really stand out.

For people who are saying this record is "dense", I can see that.  Just stick with it though, as there's a lot to unpack and it will begin to make more sense with repeated listens.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #716 on: October 25, 2021, 02:15:21 PM »

Other than MM, JLB is the real MVP of this record.  One if his best performances of his career IMO.  Everybody is excellent on this album, but JLB and MM really stand out.

Agreed, JLB sounds amazing on this record! 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #718 on: October 25, 2021, 02:18:22 PM »
Saw that video. I laughed - but it really isn't true. He's no more "busy" than on any other album.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #719 on: October 25, 2021, 02:19:46 PM »
Saw that video. I laughed - but it really isn't true. He's no more "busy" than on any other album.

I know. It's funny though.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #720 on: October 25, 2021, 02:42:31 PM »
This album is next fuckin level. It slays in every way possible. I didn't realize my love for DT needed to be revitalized until I heard this album.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #721 on: October 25, 2021, 02:51:06 PM »
A Dramatic Turn of Events
Dream Theater
The Astonishing
Distance Over Time
A View From The Top Of The World

VS

Six Degrees
Train Of Thought
Octavarium
Systematic Chaos
Black Clouds & Silver Linings

Offline Trav86

« Reply #722 on: October 25, 2021, 02:53:38 PM »
Dream Theater
The Astonishing
Distance Over Time

VS

Six Degrees
Train Of Thought
Octavarium
Systematic Chaos

The Mangini albums.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #723 on: October 25, 2021, 03:06:55 PM »
Funny that pretty much every Mangini DT album starts with an A or a D.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #724 on: October 25, 2021, 03:08:12 PM »
Funny that pretty much every Mangini DT album starts with an A or a D.

The band needs to write a song with a chord progression of just "A - D - A - D - A" repeating.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #725 on: October 25, 2021, 03:09:29 PM »
But The Astonishing starts with a T though, no?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #726 on: October 25, 2021, 03:15:02 PM »
Thats like when that one guy said every mangini album has D and T somewhere - despite The Astonishing having no D in it. And then he tried to argue that D means The in some places.

No.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #727 on: October 25, 2021, 03:23:31 PM »
But The Astonishing starts with a T though, no?

Astonishing, The

Unless you alphabetize all your albums starting with "The" in the T's. Would you file The Dark Side Of The Moon under "D" or "T"?

And while we're being picky about album titles, Black Clouds & Silver Linings is the only DT album to use an ampersand. Their first two albums use "And" in the middle even though I see a lot of folks type out "Images & Words", which would be incorrect.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #728 on: October 25, 2021, 03:25:49 PM »
Also the new album is called A View From The Top Of The World.

not AVFTTOTW.

;D

Offline LKap13

« Reply #729 on: October 25, 2021, 03:27:58 PM »
This is exalted music

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #730 on: October 25, 2021, 03:33:57 PM »
Bold enough to conquer
Brave enough to fail

I love James’s delivery on these lines. Very cool little moment.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #731 on: October 25, 2021, 03:56:51 PM »
Six degrees is a trillion times better than any album following it so I would still pick the portnoy 5 but if you remove six degrees and a dramatic then I would take the mangini 5

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #732 on: October 25, 2021, 04:13:36 PM »
Dream Theater
The Astonishing
Distance Over Time

VS

Six Degrees
Train Of Thought
Octavarium
Systematic Chaos

This was a tough one for me at first but then I thought which albums would I be more likely to listen to and the MANGini albums (with the exception of The Astonishing) win out over Train of Thought, Octavarium, & Black Clouds & Silver Linings.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #733 on: October 25, 2021, 04:15:51 PM »
Also the new album is called A View From The Top Of The World.

not AVFTTOTW.

;D

The band have printed the abbreviation on the beanie cap included in the deluxe edition box set, so it can also be called AVFTTOTW.  ;)

(The same can also be said about Distance Over Time where the album artwork had used "d/t", much in the same way that Rush's Grace Under Pressure had used "p/g" that fans use)

-Marc.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #734 on: October 25, 2021, 04:51:33 PM »
Finally got around to opening my deluxe box set. It's a beauty! I also pulled out my other deluxe sets for a collection shot.

I really like that these sets have improved with each album and the new one is probably the best one yet!

-Marc.

Is the top-left one BC&SL? I didn't realise that that & ADTOE had different covers for their boxsets.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。