Author Topic: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread  (Read 148960 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread
« Reply #525 on: October 24, 2021, 04:27:51 AM »
Answering the Call is interesting on first listen.  Kind of Blind Faith meets These Walls with a splash of DT12.

Not sure on the vocal melodies but the atmosphere is really nice.  James sounds nice in this range though.  No memorable Petrucci solos?  Sounds pretty damn good here.  Love the key changes during each section.  Appreciate the heaviness.

Apologies in advance but I might post a few thoughts so excuse the amount of posts incoming.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #526 on: October 24, 2021, 04:43:27 AM »
Invisible Monster is still a pretty meh song, but I'm finding the chorus quite memorable now.

Okay, I'm totally missing something with Sleeping Giant.  Only one listen I know but I couldn't wait for that to be over half way through.  Nothing in that had me interested at all.  Hoping it's just because it's a first listen.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #527 on: October 24, 2021, 04:56:28 AM »
I dunno about Invisible Monster. I liked it on first listen but upon listening to the entire album from start to finish it really jumped out at me.

If I *had* to rank all the songs on the album i think Transcending Time is my leat favourite. But there's no BAD song.

I'm having ear problems at the moment so i've not really listened to this album on my studio monitors - just on my in-built computer speakers

- or quietly on my over-the-ear headphones on the bus ride to work.

I think that later I might turn my studio monitors on and listen to the entire thing :)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #528 on: October 24, 2021, 04:59:13 AM »
TT was pretty nice.  I don't know about DT doing Rush better than Rush though, that's a comical statement to me.  Looking for a little more from the vocal melodies, but I think that will come with more listens.

The intro to ATM was really cool, but when the song gets going and James gets into it, I just lose interest.  Lacks melodies and finding this dull and boring.  I'm trying hard but my views from the two singles seem to be coming to fruition.

Maybe I'm outgrowing DT.  As I said, I'm trying hard and yes it's not fair to judge from a single listen, but to me this is not very good, and quite frankly pretty boring.  If I didn't hear any of these songs again I probably wouldn't be upset.  I mean, I'm going to keep listening, but this first listen is leaving me cold and I have no interest to hear these songs again.  I'm really missing something it seems.  JP is indeed going through the motions now with his solos.

Hopefully the title track has something to pull me back in.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #529 on: October 24, 2021, 05:00:00 AM »
I love the whole vibe of Answering the Call. I love the sort of sinister outro that sounds a bit like SlipKnot's psychosocial

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #530 on: October 24, 2021, 05:20:31 AM »
The title track is a little better with a bit of energy in the first half.  Didn't retain a lot of the second half, need to listen again.

First impression from a single listen.....not good.  Hopefully in the car tomorrow it opens up a bit.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #531 on: October 24, 2021, 05:30:10 AM »
JP is indeed going through the motions now with his solos.

I'm not sure this is quite fair, Kade. I get why you would say it, but I'm getting more the impression that we all know what JP likes so intuitively, that we, as fans, can practically hum the next note he's going to play. Especially when he does the soaring, standing on the mountain, solos.

I've only had one listen too, and I noted some of what you say, but I was impressed by the amount of times they (the band) took my by surprise. It's not as easy to come up with NewShit™ when you've been doing something for so long.

To my ears, the studio Engineer is the star of this record. I can hear so much more of what is going on with Mangini that it kept grabbing my attention. I don't know if you guys have noticed before, but Mike Mangini is really fucking good at drums. Just remember who told you.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #532 on: October 24, 2021, 05:46:49 AM »
First impression from a single listen.....not good.  Hopefully in the car tomorrow it opens up a bit.

You can make your way to the cool dudes thread and agree with me wholeheartedly now ...........maybe I was too nice for you :lol
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 05:51:57 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #533 on: October 24, 2021, 05:55:35 AM »

Impressive breakdown.

Why, thank you sir! To me the problem with DT12 isn't the amount of lows, but the lack of highs.

Agreed.  Everything on DT12 is good, and some are definitely in the very good category for me, but nothing on there is of the  amazing variety.

Space Dye Vest is awesome.

Sailing completely off topic here, but I agree the most. Space-Dye Vest is one of Awake's very best songs.

I will go one further: Space Dye Vest is one of Dream Theater's very best songs.  :coolio :coolio

TT was pretty nice.  I don't know about DT doing Rush better than Rush though, that's a comical statement to me.  Looking for a little more from the vocal melodies, but I think that will come with more listens.

The intro to ATM was really cool, but when the song gets going and James gets into it, I just lose interest.  Lacks melodies and finding this dull and boring.  I'm trying hard but my views from the two singles seem to be coming to fruition.

Maybe I'm outgrowing DT.  As I said, I'm trying hard and yes it's not fair to judge from a single listen, but to me this is not very good, and quite frankly pretty boring.  If I didn't hear any of these songs again I probably wouldn't be upset.  I mean, I'm going to keep listening, but this first listen is leaving me cold and I have no interest to hear these songs again.  I'm really missing something it seems.  JP is indeed going through the motions now with his solos.

Hopefully the title track has something to pull me back in.

Regarding the first bolded, that is just DT fanboys fanboying. ;)

Regarding the second bolded, I am noticing the lack of great guitar solos.  Sure, there are a lot of notes in there, and none of them are bad, but they all seem like stock JP solos, like he had a bunch saved up and then inserted them in the songs where need be.   I agree with the earlier sentiment about the one in Transcending Time, which ends with just a flurry of notes for seemingly no reason (I am rarely a big fan of his solos where he randomly throws in a bunch of shredding out of nowhere just to remind us that he can, which is why I have never genuflected to the Budokan Hollow Years solo as he does that in that one and takes away from the vibe of the song).  There is no Breaking All Illusions, no Voices, no The Spirit Carries On, no Under a Glass Moon.  It used to be where we'd get a new DT album and it was like, "Okay, I know there will be great JP solos everywhere, but which is the best?"  With this album, I am getting that, "Is there even one great guitar solo?" feeling. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #534 on: October 24, 2021, 06:04:15 AM »
Dream Theater writing a better RUSH song than RUSH is a comical statement ?

Or them being a better band overall is a comical statement ?

I genuinely think RUSH are over-rated and think Dream Theater are superior in most departments.

I don't mind Geddy's voice but can't stand Alex's guitar sound most of the time and Neil is a good drummer but he always looks SO stiff when playing

and his parts sound really staccato to me. Plus his kit is so hilariously over-sized it makes Mangini's ADTOE kit look small. :dunno: Never got the appeal personally.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #535 on: October 24, 2021, 06:23:22 AM »
Dream Theater writing a better RUSH song than RUSH is a comical statement ?

Or them being a better band overall is a comical statement ?

I genuinely think RUSH are over-rated and think Dream Theater are superior in most departments.

I don't mind Geddy's voice but can't stand Alex's guitar sound most of the time and Neil is a good drummer but he always looks SO stiff when playing

and his parts sound really staccato to me. Plus his kit is so hilariously over-sized it makes Mangini's ADTOE kit look small. :dunno: Never got the appeal personally.
I never was a Neil fan either (as a drummer, great lyrics though IMHO), but the irony is that every kit he played was actually smaller than Mike's kits from 2011-2019. (which you can look up if you want actually), anyway, I actually really love Transcending Time. Love the entire album actually, maybe barring Invisible Monster (not a problem though, still all killer no filler, like DT12 and Dramatic Turn are to me)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #536 on: October 24, 2021, 06:48:10 AM »
Funny, I was scrolling back and forward in other threads, looking to the ranking of the albums I've been doing. But there is no such thing as that, it changes to me more than whatever else. When I dive into an album I haven't been spinning a while, almost always I consider myself a noob for not giving it the time it deserves. Even a Systematic Chaos or When Dream and Day Unite, but especially Awake and the Astonishing are aging so good on me. Distance Over Time did as well.

But I do remember clearly I wasn't half as enthousiast with the first few listenings to Distance Over Time then (than?) here with a View. This album is grabbing me from the very first spin and although ranking is always a moment in time and therefor not for forever, I do think this album can make it to my favorites most surely.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #537 on: October 24, 2021, 06:49:57 AM »
Moreso than any of the albums in the last 10 years, this thing is a grower. Cannot stress that enough.
The first few spins I enjoyed it a lot, but it wasn't connecting to me, some transitions felt cold and awkward and the melodies just were not jumping out.
Finally now, this thing is starting to "unlock" itself. This is filled with great, powerful vocal melodies and exciting songwriting. I would say its just more rhythmically complex than we have become used to lately, especially with the s/t, TA, DOT. I fear a lot of people will dismiss this after 1 or 2 listens, which is a real shame.

Also, as a side note - having not heard the singles beforehand, I do not get the hate for Invisible Monster. Is it a bias as people see it as "just the single"? Great song to me, melodic, catchy, great solo, some neat FII feeling in places as well.

Agree on IM…. I think the chorus is a bit bland but outside of that it’s a good song.  I feel like the two singles are the best at creating a soundscape.  IM has an awake vibe and I love the crunchy tone.   The solo is also super fun.

Offline JPX

« Reply #538 on: October 24, 2021, 07:08:10 AM »
JP is indeed going through the motions now with his solos.

I'm not sure this is quite fair, Kade. I get why you would say it, but I'm getting more the impression that we all know what JP likes so intuitively, that we, as fans, can practically hum the next note he's going to play. Especially when he does the soaring, standing on the mountain, solos.

It's absolutely fair. As I said before this is an incredibly weak album from JPs perspective. His solos are a shadow a their former selves. Zero dynamics, full autopilot. And he's still capable because Gemini is a recent example of a solo section that is very clearly Peteucci-esque but has some thought behind its structure.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #539 on: October 24, 2021, 07:15:43 AM »

I dunno this looks like it has way more parts than Mangini's Dramatic Turn tour kit.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #540 on: October 24, 2021, 07:20:32 AM »
Whether or not you dig JP’s playing on this (and I do understand people saying his solos don’t perhaps stand out here as being especially memorable), to say that someone who clearly cares so much and puts so much effort into every release is “going through the motions” is unfair, I’m sorry.  Music is subjective and I have no problem with people liking something or not liking something but one thing you can never accuse JP of doing is going through the motions from a musical standpoint.

For me personally, I really like his solo in The Alien, which is a really nice soulful one.  I also think IM has a fun little solo and I love his epic melodic stuff in the title track both at the beginning and in the middle.  I still keep drifting off in Sleeping Giant and Awaken The Master so haven’t got to grips with the instrumental sections in those yet.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #541 on: October 24, 2021, 07:25:56 AM »
I totally get that thing LaBrie and Mangini said about showing someone something you're working on and they can't NOT talk all over it.

Offline LKap13

« Reply #542 on: October 24, 2021, 07:28:53 AM »
Bros, this album is genius. It is brilliant. Nearly perfect.

Can someone post the link to the documentary lol

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #543 on: October 24, 2021, 07:30:53 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAbQ4CgteHY&t=6638s
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #544 on: October 24, 2021, 07:34:24 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAbQ4CgteHY&t=6638s

Here you go lol

I liked the documantary lol

watching the Q&A now lol

It's interesting that for Awaken the Master - Petrucci is in F# Standard and they actually Capoed the bass so Myung is tuned to E but pitched up a tone lol

In all seriousness - I hope that the new album kit Mangini used is the tour kit as well. His kits have been gradually getting smaller since A Dramatic Turn.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #545 on: October 24, 2021, 07:37:05 AM »
I would say this is the first DT album in a long time which doesn't have at least one memorable or sing-able guitar solo for me. DoT had Barstool and Wit's End, Behind the Veil was a monster solo, Breaking All Illusions solo was amazing, Best of Times might be his best solo ever.

I don't think it's a function of not caring, but it shows how difficult it is to churn out as much music as JP has and still make memorable guitar solos that most of us like.

also editing this because I realized I can remember the first ATM guitar solo lol.
Disclaimer: All opinions stated are my own unless otherwise specified. I don't personally know any present or former members of Dream Theater. From time to time where the context is obvious, I may state an opinion without clearly labeling every single part of it as such. I cannot predict the future.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #546 on: October 24, 2021, 07:38:19 AM »
I also put that down to putting out 4 albums in a short space of time.

2019 - Distance Over Time
2020 - LTE 3 &
2021 - Terminal Velocity
2021 - A View From The Top

That's about an hours worth of music every year. It doesn't sound much when you say it like that - but if Terminal Velocity and LTE3 hadn't happened

I wonder what the new album would have sounded like.

I know that John has said that he doesn't 'keep' ideas for different projects and he writes for whatever he is working on at that time...

But at some point he must have gone " that's an amazing riff - i should keep that for DT / my solo album ! "

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #547 on: October 24, 2021, 08:00:43 AM »
All this talk about Transcending Time and Rush made me want to post this. First of all, I love the song and my wife listened to it for the first time yesterday and near the end of the song, I noticed that she was crying. I asked, why are you crying? She said the song sounded like Rush and the drums sounded like Neil Peart. We're obviously huge fans of Rush and Neil.  :metal

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #548 on: October 24, 2021, 08:01:32 AM »
The intro/outro solo of The Alien is very memorable for me. As well as the solo in the slow section of A View.

Offline LKap13

« Reply #549 on: October 24, 2021, 08:07:04 AM »
I just want to note how lucky we all are to experience this music. Many thanks to Dream Theater and for the opportunity to hear this.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #550 on: October 24, 2021, 08:30:07 AM »
Here’s my take on the JP solo’s and some of the issues with the album I have.

On JP:  I feel like he used that same clean tone on almost every solo which really created a “sameness” throughout the album,  the tones on The Alien and IM are slightly different and that really helps the solos.  Those songs seem to have a genuine soundscape whereas the rest of the album sort of blends together… very good songs but they don’t “sound” as distinguishable,

The other issue with the solos is that the riffing behind the solos is totally generic.   Take for example the riff used in TT, theres no way that that riff took more than 1 second to come up with.  What would have been amazing is a sweeping instrumental a la innocence faded. That’s JP’s worst solo of all time IMO.  In regards to the riffing I mentioned, Take for example the soloing in “beyond this life” how amazing the riffs are that he’s soloing over.

On the album… there are some good riffs but they’re never used for the vocals.   They’re only used for instrumentals.  It really gives it a “ok vocals go.  now instrumentals go” feeling which causes a feeling of formulaic.

I like the album… it’s grown on me, but they didn’t do anything to push the envelope and I think it’s way too guitar driven with generic riffing. 

It will probably end up as a middle of the pack album for me which ain’t bad this late into their career.

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun
« Reply #551 on: October 24, 2021, 09:05:49 AM »
People need to realise that JP is first and foremost a contextual player - he creates his solos to fit the song, not the other way around. I.e. he utilizes his technique (incl feel) to serve the song rather than show off for the lack of a better word. I remember on TOT he was critizised for excessive shredding and no feel -  though it did fit in the context of the album - while on Octavarium he was critisized for the opposite (feel, but lack of technicality). On AWFTTOTW, JP again plays what fits the song/solo section (excluding the debate regarding the fast run in TT). And for what it is worth, the solos JP plays on the new record are by no means easy to create, not to mention the overall quality in his rythm playing - the guy is insanly consistent.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #552 on: October 24, 2021, 09:13:16 AM »
People need to realise that JP is first and foremost a contextual player - he creates his solos to fit the song, not the other way around. I.e. he utilizes his technique (incl feel) to serve the song rather than show off for the lack of a better word. I remember on TOT he was critizised for excessive shredding and no feel -  though it did fit in the context of the album - while on Octavarium he was critisized for the opposite (feel, but lack of technicality). On AWFTTOTW, JP again plays what fits the song/solo section (excluding the debate regarding the fast run in TT). And for what it is worth, the solos JP plays on the new record are by no means easy to create, not to mention the overall quality in his rythm playing - the guy is insanly consistent.

Nobody is questioning his playing.  He’s a guitar god.  We just expect more creativity from him than what is shown on this album.  At least I do… he’s my favorite musician of all time and I know he’s capable of much more.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #553 on: October 24, 2021, 09:17:36 AM »
I just want to note how lucky we all are to experience this music. Many thanks to Dream Theater and for the opportunity to hear this.

+1

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #554 on: October 24, 2021, 09:17:55 AM »

Nobody is questioning his playing.  He’s a guitar god.  We just expect more creativity from him than what is shown on this album.  At least I do… he’s my favorite musician of all time and I know he’s capable of much more.

Seriously, what would you have him do differently?

Offline JPX

« Reply #555 on: October 24, 2021, 09:18:08 AM »

This is such a nondescript statement. Exactly how is the solo section in In The Name of God contextual? To that degree, who even cares about context. If you really want to go down that route, how did he think the solo in Transcending Time worked well within the context of the rest of the song? To me, one of the cornerstones of progressive music is juxtaposing themes and styles that don't necessarily fit together, but you as the musician make it work. Regardless, JP has always been tasteful when he needs to be and his technique has never come into question. My issue is with what you might call the anatomy of a solo. Again, when you break down something like Under a Glass Moon or Scarred, there are dynamics to each phrase, something which is becoming less and less prevalent in his solo writing. As a result you get a flurry of notes, that are certainly technically proficient but it leaves the listener without much to remember. I don't need JP to prove to me he can sweep pick or alternate pick. I just want something a little more crafted.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #556 on: October 24, 2021, 09:27:00 AM »
I think this is the best DT in a long time, however, it still follows the DT "industry standard" sound that has been in place since Mangini joined. I think it's just done better here than on every other MM album as far as consistency and production, 'perfecting the product' so to speak. While I think AVFTTOTW is the most consistent of the MM releases, so far it doesn't reach the highs of ADTOE to me, or even something like BW or AWE from the last album. It doesn't have anything I feel like skipping either, though, whereas the last 4 have plenty. This album just comes at you right from the get-go, it is surely a more aggressive album than anything since BC&SL, and doesn't let up for the entire length of the album aside from a few moments here and there. Sure, there are the moments that make me feel they lifted ideas here and there from IaW, Awake, and SFAM, as well as ToT and SC, but they are minor on this album, as I find a lot of the playing much more energetic. If this is the music the band is going to make, I would hope it's always as good as AV and ADTOE (with AV's production values)

Mangini is not my favorite drummer, I find he has all the chops but little flair (and not just in comparison to Portnoy, to most any technical drummer I can think of) but I thought his playing was pretty great on AV. I don't think it's just because his drums are well recorded here, he really kicked things up a notch. His playing feels a little more loose, like MP, while also doing all the crazy ridiculous things he does. JP is JP, and while I can't say any of his solos were incredibly memorable, I found his rhythm playing to be the best it's been since Portnoy was in the band, both in crushing riffs, technical interludes, and the beefy meaty sound that I feel has been absent on the studio albums since the 2000s era. JM is also really noticeable throughout the album. JR plays more of a background role throughout, though he has his usual moments. I'm not really into a lot of the tones Rudess used, like on the title track. I'm just tired of his style of playing. JLB is present. Probably nicest thing I can say, but there isn't anything really negative to say either, other than his voice is covered up in loads of effects again.

Speaking of the title track, I'm not sure yet how I feel about it. On one hand, it is as good as anything else on the album, at the same time, it doesn't distinguish itself from the rest of the album to me as 'the epic of the album', it's just a bit longer than the other songs. It has a similar feel to much of the other music. I feel the same way about In The Name of God from ToT. It's not an epic, just a longer than usual DT song, vibes right along with the majority of the album it's on. Even Illumination Theory, which I'm not the biggest fan of as a full composition, I would still call an epic, and always have considered it since first listen.

I think the argument JP spread himself too thin lately, isn't strong. I find this to be possibly the best DT effort in some time, and I also enjoyed Terminal Velocity and the new Liquid Tension Experiment album. Maybe there's better solos on LTEƎ, and some cool ideas on TV, but I think he saved some of the best ideas for AV.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #557 on: October 24, 2021, 09:39:15 AM »

Seriously, what would you have him do differently?

Well to be clear I loved JP on DOT.  On this album, The shredding just to shred is just so played out by them....maybe i've outgrown it in my old age of 36 haha.  We know he can play fast.  Does anybody really care?   I thought it was cool when he showed it on As I am and Stream of Consciousness... fine...... but this album called for more dynamic playing. 

I want to hear a band working together to make musical suites like the end of about to crash reprise or basically the entire Learning to Live.  There are technically solo's on learning to live but they are so melodic and tasteful they just sound like musical passages to progress the song.    Im also fine with long extended soloing like Trial of Tears.   I also love the soloing in Fatal Tragedy and Beyond this Life because they are being done over incredibly creative riffs and they are more melodic in nature.  When its just a generic guitar riff and JP shredding I lose interest fast.  It comes off as lazy writing to me... and I don't think he's being lazy.   The TT solo just really grinds my gears because that was an awesome opportunity for them to have a great instrumental "movement" but then they just pick a random generic riff and JP does a shredding solo that he can do in his sleep.  Then they go back to the song.  It's just bizarre.

The little guitar part right before the Crimson Sunset section of ACOS.  That to me is perfection from JP.   Awesome, melodic, progressing the song to the Crimson Sunset and leading right into a kickass riff for JL to shine on.   

Anyways, with that said, I still think there is a lot of good JP moments on this album and I like the album overall.   But these are my notes of constructive criticism.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #558 on: October 24, 2021, 09:39:57 AM »

This is such a nondescript statement. Exactly how is the solo section in In The Name of God contextual? To that degree, who even cares about context. If you really want to go down that route, how did he think the solo in Transcending Time worked well within the context of the rest of the song? To me, one of the cornerstones of progressive music is juxtaposing themes and styles that don't necessarily fit together, but you as the musician make it work. Regardless, JP has always been tasteful when he needs to be and his technique has never come into question. My issue is with what you might call the anatomy of a solo. Again, when you break down something like Under a Glass Moon or Scarred, there are dynamics to each phrase, something which is becoming less and less prevalent in his solo writing. As a result you get a flurry of notes, that are certainly technically proficient but it leaves the listener without much to remember. I don't need JP to prove to me he can sweep pick or alternate pick. I just want something a little more crafted.

Agreed.  I know DT is a band of players, and they love to show their stuff, but as a listener, I, myself, personally, just me, need and want more than that.  As noted before, I like Transcending Time quite a bit so far, but that solo is a big miss.  A great solo there could have elevated the whole song to great for me, but the solo that is there could end up being the one thing holds it back from me thinking it is truly great.  I know some will say, "But it's only one little part," but the little things matter, details matter.  When I think of my absolute favorite songs by DT or any artist, they are almost always songs that I listen to and think, "I wouldn't change a thing about it." 

As a point of comparison, Fall into the Light is one of my five favorite DT songs of the Mangini era, and it really was thisclose to being one of my favorite DT songs of any era, but JR's synth solo before the final section held it back.  Had that solo there been great, I think the song would have gone from great to awesome (yes, I still think the song is great, even with that solo), but the solo, for me, is just kinda there (not a noisefest like some of his solos that make me want to cover my ears, but not great by any stretch of the imagination, IMO).  Just another example, for me, of a little thing making a difference.

And to be clear, these are my opinions only.  Others may not agree.  And that is okay. And as the artist, you do your best and put it out there, and not every fan is going to react the same way to it.  And that is okay as well.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #559 on: October 24, 2021, 09:50:10 AM »

Agreed.  I know DT is a band of players, and they love to show their stuff, but as a listener, I, myself, personally, just me, need and want more than that.  As noted before, I like Transcending Time quite a bit so far, but that solo is a big miss.  A great solo there could have elevated the whole song to great for me, but the solo that is there could end up being the one thing holds it back from me thinking it is truly great.  I know some will say, "But it's only one little part," but the little things matter, details matter.  When I think of my absolute favorite songs by DT or any artist, they are almost always songs that I listen to and think, "I wouldn't change a thing about it." 

As a point of comparison, Fall into the Light is one of my five favorite DT songs of the Mangini era, and it really was thisclose to being one of my favorite DT songs of any era, but JR's synth solo before the final section held it back.  Had that solo there been great, I think the song would have gone from great to awesome (yes, I still think the song is great, even with that solo), but the solo, for me, is just kinda there (not a noisefest like some of his solos that make me want to cover my ears, but not great by any stretch of the imagination, IMO).  Just another example, for me, of a little thing making a difference.

And to be clear, these are my opinions only.  Others may not agree.  And that is okay. And as the artist, you do your best and put it out there, and not every fan is going to react the same way to it.  And that is okay as well.

We are so aligned on that TT solo haha, its the main thing on the album I'm bummed about.    Take a song like Innocence Faded, thats a good fun song, but if it just had a shredding solo at the end instead of that incredibly amazing music passage where the band just crushes it together the song wouldn't be nearly as good.   Sadly thats the fate of TT.  Still a good fun song but really brought down by the solo break.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 09:55:24 AM by lovethedrake »