Luka Doncic
0 (0%)
Jayson Tatum
1 (16.7%)
OTHER
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: April 17, 2022, 07:54:44 AM

Author Topic: NBA 2021-22---- NBA LEGEND Bill Russell 1934-2022 RIP  (Read 29654 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: NBA 2021-22.....Playoffs? Playoffs? Don't talk about playoffs?
« Reply #525 on: June 17, 2022, 07:55:40 PM »
I don't really view them as a curse rather that an accomplishment.  I think the whole point of most of those is to honor players that deserve recognition that might not otherwise get that recognition because of the fact that only a small percentage of players win the NBA finals.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #526 on: June 17, 2022, 09:18:23 PM »
Another comment I caught was that this was the "weakest" GS team that Kerr has coached to a title.

I heard that too and didn't agree with that at all.  I mean, maybe if you tried to rank them all on a points system or something, this one might barely be last.  But if so, not by much.  The first one with Durant was a solid roster.  The two with Durant, I guess it's hard to argue that it's a "weak" team when you are adding Durant to the combo of Curry/Thompson/Green.  But while the starting lineup for those teams was formidable, they had to clean house to make room for K.D., so they had very little depth.  And arguably, (Wiggins + 2022 Loony) > (K.D. + K.D.-era Loony).  But as far as the bench, with Durant gone now, the depth off the bench is back.  So while the starting lineup may not be as scary as their core 3 + Durant, they are far deeper this season.  They had 3 solid bench players that got substantial minutes every game, plus some decent (albeit short) time from two others (Iguodala and Bjelica).  And if Kerr was pressed, he could have played Kuminga, Lee, and/or Moddy.  They all contributed substantially during the regular season and were solid in their limited minutes earlier in the playoffs. 
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 09:24:03 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #527 on: June 18, 2022, 06:27:03 AM »
It's doesn't matter if you're a juggernaut or a very good team that wins it all.  It matters if you won it. People want to justify why a team they do not like won it all.  Their wrong.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #528 on: June 18, 2022, 10:54:55 AM »
Warriors had good depth, yes, but Klay* and Green** aren't the players they were 5-8 years ago, which is why their depth plus the additions of Wiggins and Poole mattered in a big way. 

*Klay can still shoot it as well as almost anyone, as his game was always catch and shoot, but a lot of analysts who watch tape say his defense has really tailed off since his injuries.

**Green can still rebound and play D, but he looked pretty slow and lumbering at times in the later rounds.  Age gets us all.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #529 on: June 18, 2022, 03:11:25 PM »
I don't really view them as a curse rather that an accomplishment.  I think the whole point of most of those is to honor players that deserve recognition that might not otherwise get that recognition because of the fact that only a small percentage of players win the NBA finals.

I know that, it's just kind of ironic how often it seems to backfire.  Five coaches of the year have been fired after winning.  Budenholzer was probably a Durant big toe away from being fired last year.  It's possible that Williams gets fired this one.  Even MVP, which ostensibly is often supposed to be the best player on the best team, has only matched up with the finals winner in five of the last 24 post-MJ seasons. 

Another comment I caught was that this was the "weakest" GS team that Kerr has coached to a title.

But while the starting lineup for those teams was formidable, they had to clean house to make room for K.D., so they had very little depth. 

The closing five was really the key thing though.  Klay, Draymond, and Iguadola were all considerably better in '17.  Steph is close, but I'm not sure his improved defense makes up for his drop off in shooting.  As impressive as Wiggins is, he's not Durant.  The '22 bench is probably better, but don't sleep on '17, they had Livingstone, West, McGee, McCaw, Clark, and Barnes having moments from time to time.  Also, Zaza starting had its limitations, but he gave them a bit more size and was a decent passer in their system. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #530 on: June 18, 2022, 04:17:48 PM »
^Yeah, I can't really argue with any of that (other than using "considerably" with respect to Green*).  But still, calling this lineup the weakest, even if technically true, implies a big disparity rather than an arguable case, doesn't it?  And I just don't see it as being anywhere near clear cut.

*He isn't the player he was then.  But he still had a great playoff run.  And while his stats in the finals seemed pretty pedestrian, and he was not good in the two games they lost, they probably don't win 3 or 4 of the other games without him.  As you probably know, he does a LOT more for that team than what shows up on the stat sheets.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #531 on: June 18, 2022, 04:45:14 PM »
They are the Champs. Whatever others say to lesson what they did is wrong.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #532 on: June 18, 2022, 07:10:16 PM »
They are the Champs. Whatever others say to lesson what they did is wrong.

They are definitely Champs, you've got the avatar to prove it..

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #533 on: June 18, 2022, 07:26:16 PM »
I say this with all the love in the world.

You bastard. I know!! :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #534 on: June 18, 2022, 07:33:46 PM »
 :-*

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #535 on: June 18, 2022, 07:39:42 PM »
:kingshmeg:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #536 on: June 18, 2022, 07:40:14 PM »
Get a room.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #537 on: June 18, 2022, 07:53:20 PM »
Shut it you Felger lover.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #538 on: June 18, 2022, 08:21:04 PM »
Nice avatar fool.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #539 on: June 18, 2022, 08:44:40 PM »
Sure. I'm a man of my word. Unlike fools who never return carts.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #540 on: June 18, 2022, 08:47:32 PM »
Only a suckah would do The Man's work.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #541 on: June 18, 2022, 08:54:40 PM »
Unfortunately those in charge like store managers and assistant managers do not do their jobs managing those shagging carriages. 

Prove me wrong. 
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 08:59:43 PM by kingshmegland »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #542 on: June 18, 2022, 09:15:41 PM »
Tim you pussy.   Answer the question before I go to bed. I know you are still up

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #543 on: June 18, 2022, 09:22:29 PM »
Bruh?  I'm going to bed soon

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #544 on: June 18, 2022, 09:27:04 PM »
PUSSSSSYYYYY!

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #545 on: June 18, 2022, 11:12:00 PM »
^Yeah, I can't really argue with any of that (other than using "considerably" with respect to Green*).  But still, calling this lineup the weakest, even if technically true, implies a big disparity rather than an arguable case, doesn't it?  And I just don't see it as being anywhere near clear cut.

*He isn't the player he was then.  But he still had a great playoff run.  And while his stats in the finals seemed pretty pedestrian, and he was not good in the two games they lost, they probably don't win 3 or 4 of the other games without him.  As you probably know, he does a LOT more for that team than what shows up on the stat sheets.

Yeah, most of that is true.  GS has been underrated by a lot of people for much of the year.  Even as recently as 2-3 days ago I lost track of how many analysts I heard calling Boston "the better team".  But still, the '17 Warriors would have a chance of beating other all-time greats like the '96 Bulls and '01 Lakers.  I wouldn't feel very confident about this version doing that.  "Considerably" with regards to Draymond is actually more compared to his '16 incarnation, who was a 14 PPG scorer and 39% 3-point shooter in addition to DPOY candidate and elite playmaker.  He shot poorly the next year, but teams didn't treat him like he did yet, in contrast to how they cheat off of him now, which has been an issue in spacing for GS this season. 
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 11:17:26 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline crazy climber dude

Re: NBA 2021-22.....Draft impressions?
« Reply #546 on: June 25, 2022, 05:06:36 PM »
Not as much relatability to the draft because of one and done. It used to be that most players stayed in college for more than a year, so you got to know them more (and their respective teams/teammates)....which translated to a more engaging draft when their time finally did come.

That said, there were some interesting items in this year's draft. Most notably....the Magic messing with everyone and NOT choosing the pre-draft favorite, Jabari Smith. Instead going with the more flamboyant forward from Duke. Paolo Banchero. Who did your team select, and how do you feel about him (them) as a prospect(s)?

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #547 on: June 25, 2022, 05:16:32 PM »
I am a little surprised my Lakers actually did something and got themselves into the draft party for the #35 pick. On paper Max Christie is a solid 6’6” (with a 6’9” wingspans) guy who can develop into a reliable 3 and D player. Then again, know LBJ who doesn’t enjoy playing alongside rookies, Christie will have to work super hard to get into the rotation.

Speaking of Christie, the Lakers signed Shareef O’Neal to the summer league roster, and also Scotty Pippen Jr. to a 2-way contract. Maybe some sort of sons of former players theme is brewing? I am not sure if O’Neal is good enough to make the team, and I think Pippen Jr. is too small to become a factor.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline T-ski

« Reply #548 on: June 25, 2022, 07:07:32 PM »
Bucks got what they needed, an athletic wing who is defense first. Lacks a three point shot currently which is why he was available at pick #24, but like every other pick you hope they develop into the player you believe they’ll be.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

« Reply #549 on: June 26, 2022, 12:09:39 PM »

Speaking of Christie, the Lakers signed Shareef O’Neal to the summer league roster, and also Scotty Pippen Jr. to a 2-way contract. Maybe some sort of sons of former players theme is brewing? I am not sure if O’Neal is good enough to make the team, and I think Pippen Jr. is too small to become a factor.

There's at least a little to be said for genetic pedigree in sports.

NBA there is quite a history....

Dell and Steph/Seth Curry
Joe and Kobe Bryant
Rick Barry and Brent Barry/Jon Barry/Drew Barry.
Bill Walton and Luke Walton.
Tim Hardaway and Tim Hardaway Jr.
Arvydas Sabonis and Domantas Sabonis.
Gary Payton and Gary Payton II.
Larry Nance and Larry Nance Jr.
Doc Rivers and Austin Rivers.

Best examples of all time GREAT players who were the offspring....probably start in baseball. Ken Griffey and Jr., Bobby and Barry Bonds. In both cases, the son turned out to be a better player by a significant margin. Though both Ken Griffey Sr. and Bobby Bonds were excellent players.  Now you've got Vlad Jr., Biggio, Yaz, and Bichette. They all look good for young players....particularly  Guererro and Bichette. Cecil and Prince Fielder. Felipe and Moises Alou.

Then football you have two of the all time greats....Peyton, Eli Manning and Christian McCaffrey (Peyton and Eli "all time" for sure....Christian on that trajectory, but definitely great NOW). Both had good to very good NFL dads. But like Bonds and Griffey....these sons were/are way better than their respective dads. Terry and Eric Metcalf. Both excellent players. Howie and Chris Long. Clay Matthews and company.

A few other athletes of former professionals that played different sports than their dads.....Ken Norton Jr.....his dad was a very good heavyweight boxer. Calvin and Grant Hill. Calvin played RB for the Cowboys....fantastic runner.

Then in boxing you had Muhammad and Laila Ali. Probably some others who are glaring....that I am missing. Oh, yeah Dale Earnhardt and Jr. (if you are calling them athletes....the genetic skill went through the genes to be sure). Then Bobby and Brett Hull in hockey.

And there are others. But I'm not mentioning guys who are back and forth from amateur leagues....or just had a cup of coffee at the pro levels (either son or dad).
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 12:26:41 PM by crazy climber dude »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #550 on: June 26, 2022, 02:29:44 PM »
Wait, Christian McCaffrey is on an all-time great trajectory?  Is this the same guy who has played 10 of a possible 33 games in the last two seasons?

« Reply #551 on: June 26, 2022, 06:58:30 PM »
Wait, Christian McCaffrey is on an all-time great trajectory?  Is this the same guy who has played 10 of a possible 33 games in the last two seasons?

Well....I'm glad you read that far!    :lol

Yes....just going by the talent, not the injury history. Point taken. But as the Miracle once said...."I think that there's still time".  :biggrin:

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #552 on: June 30, 2022, 02:03:38 PM »
WTF?! KD just asked to be traded. And the Nets are trying to find a trade partner. Kyrie is almost definitely going to be a goner next.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #553 on: June 30, 2022, 02:06:24 PM »
I think they knew that. Kyrie exercising the one year option would set up  sign and trade for him.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #554 on: June 30, 2022, 02:24:46 PM »
WTF?! KD just asked to be traded. And the Nets are trying to find a trade partner. Kyrie is almost definitely going to be a goner next.
So Kyrie for Westbrook? Or AD for Durant?

I saw wetsbtook opt in which seeing the salary, who wouldn't
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #555 on: June 30, 2022, 02:32:21 PM »
So Kyrie for Westbrook? Or AD for Durant?

I saw wetsbtook opt in which seeing the salary, who wouldn't

AD for KD, huh? Hmm, that’s an interesting idea… but seriously though, KD’s age is a concern, and I wouldn’t give up AD for him; when AD can still perform at a very high level for years to come.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #556 on: July 01, 2022, 07:23:05 AM »
I think that LeBron signing with Miami and then Cleveland and then Los Angeles definitely felt a bit chaotic, and I understand people being a bit frustrated with it for certain reasons. However, what Durant has done is truly next level. Signing with the 73-win Warriors and then requesting a trade to the two number one seeds, Miami and Phoenix. :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: NBA 2021-22....Kyrie, KD....Konundrums Kontinue
« Reply #557 on: July 05, 2022, 12:42:01 PM »
I think KD's biggest problem is that he needs to be on a team with other superstars who will willingly defer to him or a team of lesser players who will naturally defer.  The latter will not get him to the top of the mountain because, as good as he is, he can't do it alone.  The former is hard to come by, and there needs to be just the right chemistry.  He had that in Golden State, but ultimately couldn't get comfortable long-term because it didn't fulfill his personal need for it to be "his team."  I'm not sure he will find it elsewhere, at least not to a degree that will get him a championship.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #558 on: July 05, 2022, 12:48:23 PM »
He wants it to be his team, but quits as soon as the going gets tough. Fuck Kevin Durant. I wouldn't touch him.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #559 on: July 05, 2022, 01:04:34 PM »
There is just something off about Durant and never mind his age that makes me shy away from wanting him on a team I follow.  Kyrie on the other hand is a team destroyer who is so self centered and I live for him failing and failing again.