Author Topic: Steven Wilson solo career thread - v. The Harmony Codex in 2023!  (Read 62613 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: Steven Wilson solo career thread - v. The Harmony Codex in 2023!
« Reply #665 on: August 29, 2023, 06:20:56 PM »
Economies of Scale is a fantastic music video. It really fits that vibe of a musical cinema.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #666 on: August 29, 2023, 06:57:39 PM »
I already gave in and listened to the track over at my brother’s house, he has a really good sound system.

First listen I already liked it, even though it’s obviously not a track that smacks you in the face. A few listens in, I find myself really enjoying the sparse arrangement and the vocals. Then I started to watch the music video and well, what a dance performance! I usually like that stuff but seeing a dance performance to weird Steven Wilson music is just something else.

I dig it. I’m well aware this is (thankfully) not the entire scope of what’s on the album but as a first piece of the puzzle I’m liking this a lot.

Oh and I forgot to say: Radiohead. Totally.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #667 on: August 29, 2023, 07:07:25 PM »
I already gave in and listened to the track over at my brother’s house, he has a really good sound system.

First listen I already liked it, even though it’s obviously not a track that smacks you in the face. A few listens in, I find myself really enjoying the sparse arrangement and the vocals. Then I started to watch the music video and well, what a dance performance! I usually like that stuff but seeing a dance performance to weird Steven Wilson music is just something else.

I dig it. I’m well aware this is (thankfully) not the entire scope of what’s on the album but as a first piece of the puzzle I’m liking this a lot.

Oh and I forgot to say: Radiohead. Totally.

I enjoy how that interpretive dance is related to the lyrics. It made me understand more about what the type of Theme/Concept he is going for with this album.

It's also cool to note how Steven is just sitting on the bench reading a newspaper...
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #668 on: August 29, 2023, 07:15:50 PM »
With shoes on. Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jammindude

« Reply #669 on: August 29, 2023, 07:44:24 PM »
With shoes on. Lol

Ok THAT was funny!!  :rollin :rollin
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #670 on: August 29, 2023, 11:26:21 PM »
[
What is exactly is your beef with BS?
How are they horrible and stuck up?
I've never had any issues with them and shipping anything to AU from England is expensive.

Hi, fellow.

I've had numerous issues over the years from slow shipping to cosmetic damage with items and they've always refused to do anything about them. Their responses have always been no and I literally had, once, "no, the artist would never support a replacement for that" (that is literally the response I had when the engraved side of a vinyl was scuffed to fuck). The attitude in their responses has always carried an aloofness to it as if they're saying, "we're here for the artists' interests, you're just collateral". This includes both their customer services team and whoever runs their Twitter and Facebook accounts. However, I do understand my experiences are not shared by many so perhaps I just have to mark it down as 'one of those things'. As a result, I buy from them as infrequently as I can. That said, I received a response to my refund request email yesterday in about 90 seconds which is impressive. Although why on Earth should anyone need to EMAIL a cancellation request these days? Anyway, hope that gives you a little insight.

And now... Back to Steven! :biggrin:
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #671 on: August 30, 2023, 07:52:01 AM »
Back to Steven
Burning Shed
BS! :poop:
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline The Great Zo

« Reply #672 on: August 30, 2023, 11:22:47 AM »
"Other guests on ‘The Harmony Codex’ include Interpol drummer Sam Fogarino, Jack Dangers of dance/hip-hop veterans Meat Beat Manifesto, Kneebody drummer Nate Wood plus longtime Wilson associates Ninet Tayeb, Craig Blundell and Adam Holzman."

Saw Nate Wood open for Snarky Puppy this year. Ridiculous performance on keys, drums, guitar, and vocals -- all at once.  :o

Nate Wood - fOUR - It's Enough
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spo85lUYls0

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #673 on: August 30, 2023, 11:54:13 AM »
I like the new song and the description of the album appeals to me. Sounds a bit more To The Bones to me than Future Bites. I love To The Bones, so that is good. And I will say Future Bites has grown on me over time.

Ordered the Deluxe book, as it seems like a high effort version (both the book and the additional album version).

« Reply #674 on: August 30, 2023, 11:57:31 AM »
i'm getting some mellow and introspective vibes from the single, so i'm wondering if the album might lean more towards a laid-back and reflective tone. but who knows, steven's always full of surprises! can't wait to hear what's next.
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline dparrott

« Reply #675 on: August 31, 2023, 01:29:17 PM »
damn S Dub kinda gettin hood widdit.  :hat  Not sure about this one.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Online faizoff

« Reply #676 on: August 31, 2023, 07:27:00 PM »
This guy seems to have really enjoyed the new album from that spatial sound listening
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C27xbddtZGU&t=7&ab_channel=JimNewstead

I really wished I lived closer to one of those sessions. I'd love to be immersed with an album in 18.1.12 sound.

Looks like Steven is also playing a 30 min live set of the album and then releasing that on CD for those attendants.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CwnZI8socU6/

I’m thrilled to announce a special launch event; Steven Wilson presents The Harmony Codex at EartH, on Wednesday 27th September, 7pm. There will be a spatial audio playback of the entire 65 minute album over EartH’s amazing immersive sound system, followed by a unique 30 minute solo live set of music from the album, also in spatial audio. EartH is equipped in L-Acoustics L-ISA spatial audio technology, placing the audience in a hemisphere of sound. The 17.1.8 system includes five frontal loudspeaker arrays, 12 surrounds, 8 overheads and 4 flown subwoofers, 69 speakers in total.

Exclusive to this event: The Harmony Codex (Earth Edition CD)

The Harmony Codex CD with 12 page booklet, wrapped in an exclusive slipcase in celebration of the event. Includes an exclusive code, only available with this CD format, to redeem a download of Steven’s 30 minute solo live set following the event. The download will be available on 11th October, full instructions on the slipcase. Please note: general admission tickets do NOT come with an album.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #677 on: August 31, 2023, 10:39:25 PM »
I'm going to try to get a ticket to that later today. Doubt I'll be successful but well worth a go. Although I live in the middle of England, London's only an hour away on the train.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online faizoff

« Reply #678 on: August 31, 2023, 10:46:34 PM »
So that reviewer who went to the session said that the 18.1.12 playback is a separate mix just for those sessions, that place is the only time you can hear it. He was over the moon about the whole experience.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #679 on: September 01, 2023, 10:03:06 AM »
I'm going to try to get a ticket to that later today. Doubt I'll be successful but well worth a go. Although I live in the middle of England, London's only an hour away on the train.

I am going :biggrin:
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Online faizoff

« Reply #680 on: September 01, 2023, 10:13:17 AM »
Awesome!  Started on a SW binge, they are all so much fun to listen to. Just have insurgentes and to the bone left.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #681 on: September 01, 2023, 03:54:53 PM »
Impossible Tightrope sounds more like it, at least the 93 second trailer does  :biggrin:

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #682 on: September 02, 2023, 07:24:44 PM »
Looks like the LTD ED set is already sold out at BS and SWHQ.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #683 on: September 02, 2023, 07:31:24 PM »
Just listened to the new single, and it sounds quite interesting! Definitely a step up from TFB for me, love the electronics and the piano. Kind of an odd choice for a single, but I dig it.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #684 on: September 02, 2023, 08:11:29 PM »
Just listened to the new single, and it sounds quite interesting! Definitely a step up from TFB for me, love the electronics and the piano. Kind of an odd choice for a single, but I dig it.

I hear the second single promo and this album hits everything.   Can't wait for my Blu Ray.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Schurftkut

Online The Letter M

« Reply #686 on: September 05, 2023, 08:19:05 AM »
I got through 7 minutes of "Impossible Tightrope" on my drive to work a bit ago. Not bad! I'll probably avoid listening to it again until I have the album in full, but I like what I'm hearing so far.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

« Reply #687 on: September 05, 2023, 08:20:28 AM »
LOVE the new single

the composition is intricate and layered, with a depth that draws you in from the very first note. wilson's vocals are hauntingly beautiful, conveying a sense of vulnerability and longing that resonates with the listener. the lyrics are thought-provoking and poetic, adding another layer of meaning to the song. what truly sets "impossible tightrope" apart, though, is the instrumentation. the guitar work is mesmerizing, weaving in and out of the melody with precision and grace. the drums and bass provide a solid foundation, driving the song forward with a relentless energy. and the use of synthesizers and electronic elements adds a modern touch that feels fresh and innovative.
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline The Great Ape

« Reply #688 on: September 05, 2023, 08:35:31 AM »
Holy shit! what a mesmerizing journey.
"You know what? Enough is enough. There's enough hate in this world; there's enough frickin' negativity in this world" - James LaBrie

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #689 on: September 05, 2023, 08:48:04 AM »
Excellent song!! The pairing Impossible Tightrope/Economies of Scale on Spotify sounds really good!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online PMSummer

« Reply #690 on: September 05, 2023, 09:59:54 AM »
Wilson's knack for weaving intricate instrumentals always leaves me impressed, the song's captivating atmosphere is undeniable.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #691 on: September 07, 2023, 11:28:46 AM »
Impossible Tightrope was fantastic.  I hope there are more tracks in this vein on the new album.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online HOF

« Reply #692 on: September 07, 2023, 10:44:14 PM »
Wow, Impossible Tightrope is really good. Might be the most engaging solo piece he's done.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #693 on: September 08, 2023, 02:49:32 AM »
the guy who played bass for PT already posted a bass-cover on youtube. apparently he also plays a few tunes on the new album

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #694 on: September 08, 2023, 07:41:34 AM »
Listened to the new single, damn it's really good wtf. Seems this record will be a mix of every style he's ever done, and I'm so hyped for that.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #695 on: September 08, 2023, 11:08:40 AM »
the guy who played bass for PT already posted a bass-cover on youtube. apparently he also plays a few tunes on the new album

Colin Edwin?! If that's the case that is a shocking turnaround after SW dumped him out of PT.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #696 on: September 08, 2023, 11:26:19 AM »

Colin Edwin?! If that's the case that is a shocking turnaround after SW dumped him out of PT.

Knowing Steven, I’m not sure this is all that surprising.

I’ve always figured him as a very “Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory” kind of a person. When viewed from that lens, he could have easily just started jamming on bass with Gavin, and then called Richard for some color and then literally just figured “sorry…didn’t need you this time” and be completely clueless as to why anyone would have a problem with it.

I’m not saying it’s right. I still think it’s kind of a dick move. I’m just thinking that he doesn’t process these things the same way normal people do, and I don’t believe it’s any sort of personal vendetta against Colin from his viewpoint.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #697 on: September 08, 2023, 11:43:14 AM »

I think their touring bassist Nate Navarro is the more obvious one
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online The Letter M

« Reply #698 on: September 08, 2023, 11:45:37 AM »

I think they meant Nate Navarro, who has posted a bass cover of "Impossible Tightrope" on YouTube (after a quick search). I forgot the name of the touring bassist that PT had for the C/C tour, but it's Nate.

I don't think Colin has gone anywhere NEAR Steven Wilson in over a decade, so I doubt his new solo album would have been any different. I'm sure Schurftkut didn't mean to play the pronoun game and perhaps assumed we all knew they meant Nate, but a proper name would have been helpful before anyone jumped to any conclusions. I didn't think it would be Colin, but I couldn't remember Nate's name off the top of my head, thus the YouTube search.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #699 on: September 11, 2023, 10:07:26 AM »
Yes, as of today the only two people I know of who ever played bass for PT are Colin Edwin and Steven Wilson.