Author Topic: Taylor Swift  (Read 74054 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Taylor Swift
« Reply #490 on: December 16, 2021, 07:01:10 PM »
Nice to see Rick Beato dedicate a segment to her! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqHePc6Yu7w&t=1s

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #491 on: December 17, 2021, 08:04:45 PM »
I saw that legal Eagle video he mentions at the beginning,  it was very informative and was happily surprised to see Rick Beato show up

https://youtu.be/M-A_RrOeoWw

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #492 on: December 17, 2021, 08:50:28 PM »
I saw that legal Eagle video he mentions at the beginning,  it was very informative and was happily surprised to see Rick Beato show up

I saw that back when it first aired.  I watch Beato somewhat regularly and really do not remember him mentioning Taylor, so I had wondered if he was not a fan at all and never mentioned her because he knew the wrath of the online Swifties wouldn't be pretty :lol, but it's good to see he appreciates her on some level.  :tup :tup

Offline HOF

« Reply #493 on: December 17, 2021, 08:52:21 PM »

I saw that back when it first aired.  I watch Beato somewhat regularly and really do not remember him mentioning Taylor, so I had wondered if he was not a fan at all and never mentioned her because he knew the wrath of the online Swifties wouldn't be pretty :lol, but it's good to see he appreciates her on some level.  :tup :tup

He’s talked about her before a few times when discussing trends in pop music and songwriting.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #494 on: December 17, 2021, 09:01:00 PM »

He’s talked about her before a few times when discussing trends in pop music and songwriting.

I believe it. I am admittedly less likely to watch those videos.  I love his "what makes this song great?" series, although it seems like he has gotten away from that, probably because he is tired of them getting blocked by the nimrod record companies.

Offline HOF

« Reply #495 on: December 17, 2021, 09:29:57 PM »

I believe it. I am admittedly less likely to watch those videos.  I love his "what makes this song great?" series, although it seems like he has gotten away from that, probably because he is tired of them getting blocked by the nimrod record companies.

Yeah, I wish he’d do more of those, but I’m sure they take a lot of time in addition to the risk of them being blocked.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #496 on: December 18, 2021, 07:25:22 PM »

Yeah, I wish he’d do more of those, but I’m sure they take a lot of time in addition to the risk of them being blocked.

His aggravation about so many getting blocked was clear, and I suspect that has taken a lot of the fun out of it for him, which is why he has gone with different topics now for a while. 

Offline HOF

« Reply #497 on: December 18, 2021, 08:10:13 PM »

His aggravation about so many getting blocked was clear, and I suspect that has taken a lot of the fun out of it for him, which is why he has gone with different topics now for a while.

You would think he could just get permission before hand. Maybe not from the likes of Eagles or the Stones, but there are plenty of bands who would let him do it just for the exposure. I wish he’d focus on some of the more obscure or smaller artists. Like he did one from XTC and got permission to use the original tracks. Of course he’s gonna want the bigger acts for the clicks.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #498 on: December 18, 2021, 08:19:32 PM »

You would think he could just get permission before hand. Maybe not from the likes of Eagles or the Stones, but there are plenty of bands who would let him do it just for the exposure. I wish he’d focus on some of the more obscure or smaller artists. Like he did one from XTC and got permission to use the original tracks. Of course he’s gonna want the bigger acts for the clicks.

Given how much he talked up All Too Well, he ought to do that one!  I'd be surprised if she'd be the type to have a problem with it, and given the size of her fanbase, it could be his most watched one ever.  Clicks galore!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #499 on: January 20, 2022, 06:00:17 PM »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #500 on: April 05, 2022, 07:23:19 AM »
New song called Carolina coming soon!  It was written to be part of a soundtrack for a film, and bits of it can be heard in the trailer below.  It's a solo write by Taylor, and produced by Aaron Dessner.  Sounds like a continuation of the Folklore and Evermore vibe.  :hat :hat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY3808Iq0Tg

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #501 on: May 06, 2022, 08:28:26 AM »
Taylor's Version of This Love (from 1989) is now out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvxQYPR4lmU

I have to admit that this song didn't make much of a dent for me last year when I did my long and highly enjoyable run through his catalogue, as a new fan and all, but this new version sounds quite nice.  And I am sure the original is good as well (just need to give it a refresher).

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #502 on: May 06, 2022, 12:27:38 PM »
Hey Kev what are your thoughts on Reputation? Just bought it today. I don’t think I’ve ever heard anything on it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #503 on: May 06, 2022, 03:46:20 PM »
Hey Kev what are your thoughts on Reputation? Just bought it today. I don’t think I’ve ever heard anything on it.

I like it a lot. It one of those albums that feels deeply flawed, but I can't help but like a lot. 

The obvious flaws to me are:

a) it feels overproduced. Take a song like King of My Heart, which has a really melody, but it gets lost far too often in that damned vocoder effect they used on her voice too often on that record. I am not a fan of it, as it sounds like a computer is singing.  Consider how "real" Taylor's music is, given how she, for good or bad, writes what she is feeling at that moment, those little moments feel a bit too modern day "unreal"-sounding pop.

b) I am not fan of the urban elements on the record.  Anyone who knows me knows I do not care for rap or hip hop, so stuff like the verses in ...Ready for It?, the verses by the rapper in End Game, and the choruses in Look What You Made Me Do (great song outside of that thud of a chorus) are mostly hard passes for me.

That said, I love the dark, nighttime overall feel of the record.  While I really like the 80s pop vibe of 1989 and the bright sunny day pop vibe of Lover, the vibe of Reputation is my favorite from her three outright pop records.

Ultimately, the album works for me as a whole because it has the songs.  In particular, I think Delicate (even with it kicking off with the vocoder effect) is one of her best songs ever, Gateway Car is insanely catchy and all kinds of fun, Call It What You Want is a melodic gem, and I love the almost R&B feel of Don't Blame Me.  I wouldn't want her, or any artist I actively follow, to make a habit out of records like this, but as a one-off in her career, it is very nice, especially since of her other albums sound anything like it.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #504 on: May 07, 2022, 09:21:32 AM »

I have to admit that this song didn't make much of a dent for me last year when I did my long and highly enjoyable run through his catalogue, as a new fan and all, but this new version sounds quite nice.  And I am sure the original is good as well (just need to give it a refresher).

so is 1989 the next Taylor's Version release? Starting to feel like it.  Unless it's been announced and I just don't know it

from her instagram yesterday https://www.instagram.com/p/CdM9ZnRucAa/

This Love (My version!) is out & I’m currently reliving the 1989 tour in my head and spiraling, it’s fine

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #505 on: May 07, 2022, 02:57:55 PM »

so is 1989 the next Taylor's Version release? Starting to feel like it.  Unless it's been announced and I just don't know it

from her instagram yesterday https://www.instagram.com/p/CdM9ZnRucAa/

This Love (My version!) is out & I’m currently reliving the 1989 tour in my head and spiraling, it’s fine

I think the internet would broken by now had she announced an official release date of 1989 TV :lol.   My guess is that won't get released until the Shake It Off lawsuit is resolved.  It wouldn't surprise if Big Machine and other record companies are funding this suit behind the scenes and throwing money around to spread it out as a way of annoying her as a payback for this venture of hers that is forcing all record companies to write their contacts in a different way.  Record companies are big money, and no way will they sit back and do nothing while Taylor keeps taking victory laps with each TV release.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #506 on: May 07, 2022, 05:04:11 PM »

I like it a lot. It one of those albums that feels deeply flawed, but I can't help but like a lot. 

The obvious flaws to me are:

a) it feels overproduced. Take a song like King of My Heart, which has a really melody, but it gets lost far too often in that damned vocoder effect they used on her voice too often on that record. I am not a fan of it, as it sounds like a computer is singing.  Consider how "real" Taylor's music is, given how she, for good or bad, writes what she is feeling at that moment, those little moments feel a bit too modern day "unreal"-sounding pop.

b) I am not fan of the urban elements on the record.  Anyone who knows me knows I do not care for rap or hip hop, so stuff like the verses in ...Ready for It?, the verses by the rapper in End Game, and the choruses in Look What You Made Me Do (great song outside of that thud of a chorus) are mostly hard passes for me.

That said, I love the dark, nighttime overall feel of the record.  While I really like the 80s pop vibe of 1989 and the bright sunny day pop vibe of Lover, the vibe of Reputation is my favorite from her three outright pop records.

Ultimately, the album works for me as a whole because it has the songs.  In particular, I think Delicate (even with it kicking off with the vocoder effect) is one of her best songs ever, Gateway Car is insanely catchy and all kinds of fun, Call It What You Want is a melodic gem, and I love the almost R&B feel of Don't Blame Me.  I wouldn't want her, or any artist I actively follow, to make a habit out of records like this, but as a one-off in her career, it is very nice, especially since of her other albums sound anything like it.

Just listened to it and I honestly loved it. Don’t get why it’s considered her worst album by many, it’s much better than Lover imo.

Offline 425

« Reply #507 on: May 07, 2022, 05:28:47 PM »
I also love Reputation and like it a lot better than Lover (although I haven't listened to Lover all that much). I'd agree with Kev that Delicate is one of her best songs ever. I'm also, personally, a big fan of ...Ready for It?—I think it's cool that it has something of a heavy feeling to it, even while being largely electronic.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #508 on: May 07, 2022, 06:40:07 PM »
I don't like Lover, but it's the better of the two stinker albums.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #509 on: May 07, 2022, 06:49:07 PM »
imo both reputation and lover suffer a little bit from that phenomenon where the songs that were chosen as singles were not the best songs from those records.  Exception for Delicate which was a single (I think) and the title track from Lover which I like and kind of points to where she was going to end up on Folklore and Evermore.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #510 on: May 07, 2022, 06:54:33 PM »
I will repeat that I cannot believe a) I Forgot That You Existed she considered good enough to make a record, and b) that it was the first track on Lover.   That song is terrible.

Overall, I like Lover quite a bit, but it's a weird listen from start to finish, even with always starting with Cruel Summer (track 2).   I just like the vibe and feel of Reputation overall a bit more, and with the little bit of reading I have done online on her fan pages (I can only take so much by hardcore Swifties :lol), it seems pretty well liked by online fans.

I may have to do that rankings engine thing with her and see how many songs from each would make my top 50.  :coolio :coolio

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #511 on: May 08, 2022, 07:57:32 AM »
Okay, I gave it a whirl and this is what I got.

Rank   Item
1   Enchanted
2   All Too Well (original)
3   This Is Me Trying
4   Gold Rush
5   Sad Beautiful Tragic
6   The Story of Us
7   Back to December
8   Treacherous
9   Champagne Problems
10   Begin Again
11   Mirrorball
12   Cowboy Like Me
13   Holy Ground
14   Speak Now
15   Exile
16   Cardigan
17   Marjorie
18   Forever Winter
19   The Last Great American Dynasty
20   State of Grace
21   Coney Island
22   Long Story Short
23   Delicate
24   Lover
25   Long Live
26   Illicit Affairs
27   My Tears Ricochet
28   The Lucky One
29   Clean
30   Fifteen
31   Forever and Always
32   The Archer
33   The Last Time
34   Cornelia Street
35   Love Story
36   Don't Blame Me
37   Last Kiss
38   Wildest Dreams
39   Betty
40   Shake It Off
41   Getaway Car
42   Starlight
43   Invisible String
44   Sparks Fly
45   Cruel Summer
46   Call It What You Want
47   Today Was a Fairytale
48   Epiphany
49   Ours
50   Haunted

Breakdown per album:
Self-titled - 0
Fearless - 3
Speak Now - 8
Red - 9
1989 - 3
Reputation - 4
Lover - 4
Folklore - 10
Evermore - 6
Singles/bonus tracks/etc. - 3

Offline 425

« Reply #512 on: May 08, 2022, 05:30:07 PM »
If I made a list right now, it would have to exclude all of the last three albums, which I haven't spent much time with, but Enchanted is a great #1 choice. Would probably be top 5 for me. Actually, a lot of my top choices would come from Speak Now, which I think might still be my favorite TS album.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #513 on: May 09, 2022, 07:40:40 AM »
Wildest Dreams - one of the greatest pure pop songs ever written - at #38?!?   Usually I am right there with you on Taylor Swift, but that's EGREGIOUS.

Oh, and my daughter says 1989 is officially next, but no hard date. 

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #514 on: May 09, 2022, 10:31:20 AM »
Wildest Dreams is a fine song, but that's a bit much.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #515 on: May 09, 2022, 05:49:22 PM »
Wildest Dreams - one of the greatest pure pop songs ever written - at #38?!?   Usually I am right there with you on Taylor Swift, but that's EGREGIOUS.

I swear, I knew you were gonna comment on that. :lol :P

Damn fine song, yes, but I just like 37 (in a row?!) more.  :coolio :coolio

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #516 on: May 10, 2022, 07:48:55 AM »
Okay, I gave it a whirl and this is what I got.

Rank   Item
1   Enchanted
2   All Too Well (original)
3   This Is Me Trying
4   Gold Rush
5   Sad Beautiful Tragic
6   The Story of Us
7   Back to December
8   Treacherous
9   Champagne Problems
10   Begin Again
11   Mirrorball
12   Cowboy Like Me
13   Holy Ground
14   Speak Now
15   Exile
16   Cardigan
17   Marjorie
18   Forever Winter
19   The Last Great American Dynasty
20   State of Grace
21   Coney Island
22   Long Story Short
23   Delicate
24   Lover
25   Long Live
26   Illicit Affairs
27   My Tears Ricochet
28   The Lucky One
29   Clean
30   Fifteen
31   Forever and Always
32   The Archer
33   The Last Time
34   Cornelia Street
35   Love Story
36   Don't Blame Me
37   Last Kiss
38   Wildest Dreams
39   Betty
40   Shake It Off
41   Getaway Car
42   Starlight
43   Invisible String
44   Sparks Fly
45   Cruel Summer
46   Call It What You Want
47   Today Was a Fairytale
48   Epiphany
49   Ours
50   Haunted

Breakdown per album:
Self-titled - 0
Fearless - 3
Speak Now - 8
Red - 9
1989 - 3
Reputation - 4
Lover - 4
Folklore - 10
Evermore - 6
Singles/bonus tracks/etc. - 3

no dbatc. no dear john. smfh. atwtmvtvftw is the superior version. #imupset

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #517 on: May 10, 2022, 05:18:10 PM »

no dbatc. no dear john. smfh. atwtmvtvftw is the superior version. #imupset

I suspect you will get over it. ;)

Death by a Thousand Cuts would have made my top 50 a year ago. I still dig it, but I guess many others are more to my liking these days.  Dear John is very good as well, and I think that one just missed the cut.  While I think it will be difficult for Taylor to recapture the youthful charm of her vocals on the original Speak Now, Dear John is one I think could be a lot better on TV, as I think she will hit some of those notes a lot better now.

Offline 425

« Reply #518 on: May 10, 2022, 05:42:22 PM »
My hot take is that I would probably have Tim McGraw in my top ten. I know some people can't abide the overtly country sound of the first album, and she has generally improved a lot as a songwriter since that time, but that song just knocks it out of the park.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #519 on: May 10, 2022, 05:47:38 PM »
Finally listened to the new This Love. I got chills. Such a great song.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #520 on: May 10, 2022, 07:26:14 PM »
My hot take is that I would probably have Tim McGraw in my top ten. I know some people can't abide the overtly country sound of the first album, and she has generally improved a lot as a songwriter since that time, but that song just knocks it out of the park.

Not that I am a country expert, but I have checked out some of the first album, and it feels like most of the country elements in those songs are pretty superficial, from the steel guitar to her fake country twang. :lol  There is no doubt, though, that she was writing at a high level early on, as you can hear it even if that early material.  I get why it appealed to so many, even if it's the material of hers that I gravitate towards the least.

Offline 425

« Reply #521 on: May 10, 2022, 11:48:22 PM »
I agree that it's not deeply country. But a lot of people have such an aversion to that genre that even hearing steel guitar or something like that really repels them. See the reaction some have to Metallica's Mama Said, also a song that is not deeply country, but is basically a Metallica ballad with a steel guitar.

There's stuff from the first album that doesn't interest me very much anymore, but are several songs that I definitely think are high-level. I'd say Tim McGraw, Teardrops on My Guitar, Our Song and Picture to Burn make a really solid top four.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #522 on: May 11, 2022, 06:22:23 AM »
I agree that it's not deeply country. But a lot of people have such an aversion to that genre that even hearing steel guitar or something like that really repels them. See the reaction some have to Metallica's Mama Said, also a song that is not deeply country, but is basically a Metallica ballad with a steel guitar.

There's stuff from the first album that doesn't interest me very much anymore, but are several songs that I definitely think are high-level. I'd say Tim McGraw, Teardrops on My Guitar, Our Song and Picture to Burn make a really solid top four.

I don't mind the steel guitar (heck, look at high I had Begin Again, where the steel guitar is really the only major country element used), but it was a few months ago at work when they had the modern country station on one day and it reminded me what two elements I dislike the most in country: 1) that country accent many country acts use when they sing, and 2) the fiddle.  I love a violin, but that country-sounding way they often play it just bugs me.  I guess that is why I liked Fearless TV much more than I thought I would because Taylor didn't do number 1 very much at all, and Tell Me Why is the only song that veered into the territory of the above number 2.

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #523 on: May 11, 2022, 10:04:51 AM »
begin again is so good.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #524 on: May 11, 2022, 05:31:42 PM »
begin again is so good.

It is highly effective as the album closer as well. Red is her one true breakup album, and after a ton of breakup songs, the finale, Begin Again, is her catharsis, meeting someone new and realizing it is going to be okay.  I really like that.