Author Topic: Taylor Swift  (Read 62769 times)

PMSummer, goo-goo and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Taylor Swift
« Reply #560 on: May 24, 2022, 08:27:08 PM »
I would submit that she is great at knowing how to market herself, but implying that she is faking her sincerity, to me, is suggesting that her songs (lyrically) are not sincere, and I can't imagine anyone actually thinking that considering how much she rips herself open and puts it all out there, something her detractors love to poke fun about ("OMG, all she does is write songs about exes!").

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #561 on: May 25, 2022, 08:22:08 AM »
I would submit that she is great at knowing how to market herself, but implying that she is faking her sincerity, to me, is suggesting that her songs (lyrically) are not sincere, and I can't imagine anyone actually thinking that considering how much she rips herself open and puts it all out there, something her detractors love to poke fun about ("OMG, all she does is write songs about exes!").

I've said it before, and I'll likely say it again: she's this generation's Bruce Springsteen.  She is no more or less sincere or no more or less "carefully managed" than Bruce Springsteen.   You cannot be that big a star, that big an artist, and not have some controls around your image or presentation.   It doesn't bother a single person, apparently, that Bruce hasn't worked in a factory a day in his life, and yet has written compellingly about that sector of American society with a deep and abiding respect.  He - and Billy Joel - have written informatively and emotionally about the Vietnam experience, and have been praised for it, and the closest either has come to actual combat is Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 3. 

I saw Bruce on Broadway, and was about 15 feet away as he drove up in his Suburban and entered the theater.  He as a way of walking where he stops periodically (and sometimes waves) to give people looking at him the opportunity to take photos. All the while having a conversation with the people with him.   It's a bizarre thing, and something that if you're in person is clearly noticeable.  If that's not "carefully managed" I don't know what is.   These people get to a level where - at least at the level of interaction with the public - are not like us.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #562 on: May 25, 2022, 09:28:46 AM »

I've said it before, and I'll likely say it again: she's this generation's Bruce Springsteen.  She is no more or less sincere or no more or less "carefully managed" than Bruce Springsteen.   You cannot be that big a star, that big an artist, and not have some controls around your image or presentation.   It doesn't bother a single person, apparently, that Bruce hasn't worked in a factory a day in his life, and yet has written compellingly about that sector of American society with a deep and abiding respect.  He - and Billy Joel - have written informatively and emotionally about the Vietnam experience, and have been praised for it, and the closest either has come to actual combat is Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 3. 

I saw Bruce on Broadway, and was about 15 feet away as he drove up in his Suburban and entered the theater.  He as a way of walking where he stops periodically (and sometimes waves) to give people looking at him the opportunity to take photos. All the while having a conversation with the people with him.   It's a bizarre thing, and something that if you're in person is clearly noticeable.  If that's not "carefully managed" I don't know what is.   These people get to a level where - at least at the level of interaction with the public - are not like us.

Great points, as usual.  You don't get to the top and stay at the top by being clueless or not knowing how to manage your career and your image.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #563 on: May 26, 2022, 05:16:37 AM »
Been listening to Red all week. It's simple stuff, really well done, which is very hard to get right.

To nitpick, for me it's a little long, but that's common. In short, a happy addition to my listening and will explore more of her catalogue when the time is right. Cheers!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #564 on: May 26, 2022, 06:15:09 PM »
Been listening to Red all week. It's simple stuff, really well done, which is very hard to get right.

To nitpick, for me it's a little long, but that's common. In short, a happy addition to my listening and will explore more of her catalogue when the time is right. Cheers!

I think I Almost Do and Everything Has Changed, the two songs I never listen to on their own from the original Red, could have been chucked and the album would have been a smidge better, but even with those songs, it is still pretty great.

Keep us posted on what your next album is and we can discuss!  :hat :hat

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #565 on: May 27, 2022, 01:04:41 AM »

I think I Almost Do and Everything Has Changed, the two songs I never listen to on their own from the original Red, could have been chucked and the album would have been a smidge better, but even with those songs, it is still pretty great.

Yes, the Ed Sheeran one. Does nothing for me. I think I'm with you on the other one as well.

Will let you know.  :smiley: I listened to the opener on 1989 yesterday but it didn't do much for me so I'll probably go back to folklore as my next one.

Online nick_z

« Reply #566 on: May 27, 2022, 06:15:44 AM »

Yes, the Ed Sheeran one. Does nothing for me. I think I'm with you on the other one as well.

Will let you know.  :smiley: I listened to the opener on 1989 yesterday but it didn't do much for me so I'll probably go back to folklore as my next one.

I like Everything Has Changed  :)

Definitely don't give up on 1989...keep going, there's a lot to enjoy...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #567 on: May 27, 2022, 04:05:31 PM »
I think Welcome to New York is all kinds of fun as the 1989 opener, but that's me.

I don't dislike Everything Has Changed. It's jut not one I ever want to hear.  :lol :lol

Online nick_z

« Reply #568 on: May 27, 2022, 06:34:53 PM »
I think Welcome to New York is all kinds of fun as the 1989 opener, but that's me.

I don't dislike Everything Has Changed. It's jut not one I ever want to hear.  :lol :lol

Oh, I like Welcome to New York too! I was just making sure Doctor keeps going  ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #569 on: May 27, 2022, 07:00:08 PM »

Oh, I like Welcome to New York too! I was just making sure Doctor keeps going  ;D

Hehe, there ya go!  As a sucker for a good pop song, Shake It Off is just so darn infectious, despite the silly bridge.  I am a big fan of Clean from that record as well.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #570 on: May 28, 2022, 01:19:57 AM »

Hehe, there ya go!  As a sucker for a good pop song, Shake It Off is just so darn infectious, despite the silly bridge.  I am a big fan of Clean from that record as well.

:lol

I'll give 1989 a proper bash next, then.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #571 on: May 28, 2022, 06:27:43 AM »
I'd give 1989 a 10/10 if it wasn't for Bad Blood. What a shit stain on a white carpet that song is.

Online nick_z

« Reply #572 on: May 28, 2022, 08:28:58 AM »
I'll give 1989 a proper bash next, then.

1989 completes the transition that started with Red, in that it's a full-blown, "modern" pop album, with no traces left of the sound (if not necessarily the songwriting) of the earlier albums. The production becomes much more "synthetic", both for the beats and the instrumentation. So be prepared for something different, that way. But there are plenty of fantastic songs in there.

I'd give 1989 a 10/10 if it wasn't for Bad Blood. What a shit stain on a white carpet that song is.

Yeah, I would agree...Bad Blood is one of my least favorites...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #573 on: May 28, 2022, 11:49:18 AM »
Bad Blood is annoyingly catchy (one of those choruses that you can't get out of your head, but it is still kind of annoying), and I do like the "It's so sad..." pre-chorus, but the song otherwise is a big miss for me as well.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #574 on: June 16, 2022, 01:48:55 PM »
I've not given 1989 a fair bash yet but have given another full listen to folklore. It's got some really great tracks on it. Like it very much.

She's really great. She does put out albums that are a bit long for my tastes, though. I've edited Red down to a 12 track, 48 minute playlist and I'll almost certainly do the same for folklore.

But I'm completely sold on her as an artist. Love it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #575 on: June 16, 2022, 06:19:09 PM »
I've not given 1989 a fair bash yet but have given another full listen to folklore. It's got some really great tracks on it. Like it very much.

She's really great. She does put out albums that are a bit long for my tastes, though. I've edited Red down to a 12 track, 48 minute playlist and I'll almost certainly do the same for folklore.

:tup :tup

Totally agree about totally buying her as an artist.  I love that she didn't give in when she was a teenager just to make it.  She held out until she got a deal that would allow her to write all of her own songs.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #576 on: June 24, 2022, 07:52:32 PM »
New song called Carolina coming soon!  It was written to be part of a soundtrack for a film, and bits of it can be heard in the trailer below.  It's a solo write by Taylor, and produced by Aaron Dessner.  Sounds like a continuation of the Folklore and Evermore vibe.  :hat :hat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY3808Iq0Tg

It's out!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q94kA7llGw

Lovely little song.   :heart :heart Taylor's voice.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #577 on: July 20, 2022, 01:20:59 PM »

Totally agree about totally buying her as an artist.  I love that she didn't give in when she was a teenager just to make it.  She held out until she got a deal that would allow her to write all of her own songs.

Listened through all of 1989 while cooking tonight. Terrific pop record. Loved it. As a CHVRCHES fan this record fit sweetly.

(I find it bemusing how a piece of music can not penetrate my skull at all at one point in time, only to click beautifully at another. My enjoyment seems ridiculously fickle and mood-specific these days...)

Love the production on 1989. Sounds terrific. There were a couple of urban-flava'd sections that made me slightly nauseous but they were like 1% of the record. Good stuff.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #578 on: July 20, 2022, 06:17:59 PM »

Listened through all of 1989 while cooking tonight. Terrific pop record. Loved it. As a CHVRCHES fan this record fit sweetly.

(I find it bemusing how a piece of music can not penetrate my skull at all at one point in time, only to click beautifully at another. My enjoyment seems ridiculously fickle and mood-specific these days...)

Love the production on 1989. Sounds terrific. There were a couple of urban-flava'd sections that made me slightly nauseous but they were like 1% of the record. Good stuff.

Nice!  I don't really notice the sections to which you referred there at the end, but I am guessing the ones in Bad Blood? I never listen to that song, so it's like it's not there. :lol

But yeah, it's a fantastic sounding record, especially considering the age we are in. 

Do you have the version with the bonus tracks?  While not part of the regular album, New Romantics and Wonderland feel like must-have songs from that era.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #579 on: July 21, 2022, 12:22:04 AM »

Nice!  I don't really notice the sections to which you referred there at the end, but I am guessing the ones in Bad Blood? I never listen to that song, so it's like it's not there. :lol

But yeah, it's a fantastic sounding record, especially considering the age we are in. 

Do you have the version with the bonus tracks?  While not part of the regular album, New Romantics and Wonderland feel like must-have songs from that era.

Ha! Yes, that was it, I think.  ;D

I've not tried the deluxe one yet. But will get there.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #580 on: July 21, 2022, 12:54:00 PM »

I've not tried the deluxe one yet. But will get there.

Might as well just wait for TV at this point, as that one likely will come out sooner rather than later and should have plenty of extra goodies to go with the original album and bonus tracks.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #581 on: August 28, 2022, 06:22:50 PM »
Our queen is looking good tonight at the VMAs.  :coolio :coolio

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #582 on: August 28, 2022, 06:23:31 PM »
Did she steal that dress too?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #583 on: August 28, 2022, 10:05:27 PM »
Taylor may break the internet tonight, as she announces that her brand new album, her 10th, will be out on October 21st. The album is called Midnights.

Hell yeah.  :hat :hat

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #584 on: August 29, 2022, 03:35:39 AM »
Wonder if it'll be a bit of a move away from the last two?
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #585 on: August 29, 2022, 06:15:44 AM »
Wonder if it'll be a bit of a move away from the last two?

My guess based on nothing but the description she gave last night is that it will be somewhat similar to Folklore and Evermore, but different enough to where it doesn't sound like the 3rd part of a trilogy.  I definitely get the "dreamy" vibe based on what little we know thus far.

And that is the cool thing about following her as an artist now, as she has reached the point where she announces a new album and it's pretty much a guessing game as to what it will be like and/or what the style will be.  Great storytelling and excellent lyrics are the constants over her career, generally speaking, so I know we can count on those.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #586 on: August 29, 2022, 08:04:12 AM »
Did she steal that dress too?

From a Christmas tree.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #587 on: August 29, 2022, 08:19:06 AM »
at first I thought it was an announcement for 1989 taylor’s version, but this is much cooler than that(though I’m still looking forward to it)

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #588 on: August 29, 2022, 09:18:18 AM »
Our queen is looking good tonight at the VMAs.  :coolio :coolio
the afterparty look is fantastic too:

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #589 on: August 29, 2022, 06:00:43 PM »
at first I thought it was an announcement for 1989 taylor’s version, but this is much cooler than that(though I’m still looking forward to it)

The re-recordings are cool and all, and I still have mad support for the endeavor, but the announcement of a brand new album with all new material is 100 times more exciting than that of one of the re-recordings, IMO.

Besides, I wouldn't count on 1989 TV till next year at the earliest due to the silly Shake It Off lawsuit which was just pushed back to January of next year.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #590 on: September 17, 2022, 05:29:51 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CijbcdrsqKT/

https://store.taylorswift.com/

Kev are you gonna buy 4 vinyls (or cds) and make a clock?   :rollin

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #591 on: September 17, 2022, 07:54:12 PM »
$90 plus shipping to get the whole CD version. 160+ for vinyl. Batteries not included.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #592 on: September 18, 2022, 06:36:37 AM »
Nah, I will stick with the digital version.

Just like Folklore, Evermore and Red (TV), if I eventually see the vinyl at Target or something for an affordable price, I'll probably buy it, but I will pass on making a clock.  :lol :lol

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #593 on: September 18, 2022, 06:55:17 AM »
I don't know a whole lot about her,  but what I've heard so far she seems like a good song writer and is talented. I wonder if she's aware that she's getting some love in a Dream Theater forum?  Or if she even knows who DT is?
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #594 on: September 18, 2022, 07:04:34 AM »
I don't know a whole lot about her,  but what I've heard so far she seems like a good song writer and is talented. I wonder if she's aware that she's getting some love in a Dream Theater forum?  Or if she even knows who DT is?

I'd be shocked if she knew who Dream Theater is.  She is more of a rocker than many people realize*, but I don't think metal or prog is really in her musical DNA.

*Speak Now, her third album, is as much a rock album as it is a country album, if not more so.  Even one of the two songs that most would describe as country more than anything, Mine, rocks pretty good in the choruses.  And songs like The Story of Us, Long Live, Haunted and Enchanted are just flat-out rock songs, but Taylor's young voice (she was 20 when she wrote that album by herself and recorded it), which still had remnants of her fake country accent, can make it hard to get over the goal line for some in that regard, which I totally get.