Author Topic: Taylor Swift  (Read 71700 times)

Offline XeRocks81

Re: Taylor Swift
« Reply #455 on: November 24, 2021, 08:22:48 AM »
definitely one the best lines she’s ever written

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #456 on: November 24, 2021, 09:24:26 AM »
I actually think the new version of the normal length of All Too Well was a letdown.  The guitars aren't as in your face as the original.  I love those rocking chords just before the "maybe we got lost in translation" bridge, and the new version doesn't have the guitar as high in the mix and thus doesn't have the intensity of the original, but I still agree that she is the bomb. :coolio :coolio

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #457 on: November 24, 2021, 09:39:24 AM »
As for her best lines, it is hard to beat that bridge from All Too Well, I agree, but she has so many good ones.

I think "All that I know is I don't know how to be something you miss" from Last Kiss is particularly great as well, as it sums up perfectly a relationship slipping away and that feeling of helplessness that there is nothing you can do about it.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #458 on: November 24, 2021, 11:40:57 AM »
I can't remember all of them, but we must have said "wow, that's a great line" like five or six times on that ride. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #459 on: November 24, 2021, 07:29:21 PM »
I can't remember all of them, but we must have said "wow, that's a great line" like five or six times on that ride.

I referenced Last Kiss from the Speak Now album, but from Red, I think this line from Treacherous (one of my favorite songs of hers) is a great one:

"And I just think you should, think you should know
That nothing safe is worth the drive."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #460 on: December 02, 2021, 05:17:07 AM »
As if we needed more proof of what a sweetheart Taylor is...

https://www.billboard.com/music/chart-beat/taylor-swift-don-mclean-gift-hot-100-record-1235004943/

Don McLean received an unexpected surprise from Taylor Swift in the mail this week, after the younger singer-songwriter broke his decades-long record on the Billboard Hot 100.

On Wednesday (Dec. 1), the “American Pie” singer shared a photo of Swift’s gift of flowers and a sweet note. “What a classy artist!” McLean tweeted, sharing Swift’s handwritten inscription that reads, “Don, I will never forget that I’m standing on the shoulders of giants. Your music has been so important to me. Sending love one writer of LONG SONGS to another. Your fan, Taylor.”

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #461 on: December 02, 2021, 07:15:06 AM »
Yeah, she's been absolutely classy and sweet, but one extended version of a song doesn't make her a "writer of long songs", as everyone registered on a Dream Theater forum should know  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #462 on: December 02, 2021, 03:45:21 PM »
Yeah, she's been absolutely classy and sweet, but one extended version of a song doesn't make her a "writer of long songs", as everyone registered on a Dream Theater forum should know  ;D

Right, it makes her a writer of a long song (singular). :P :P

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #463 on: December 02, 2021, 03:59:10 PM »
To paraphrase a great quote from an horrible movie (Street Fighter), "when Taylor Swift made a 10 minute song, it looked like the most amazing thing she could do. For Dream Theater, it was a Tuesday"  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #464 on: December 02, 2021, 05:16:03 PM »
it does remind of a thought I had the other day. When us prog fans think of long songs or "epics"  what we have in mind isn't really the same thing at all as songs like American Pie or the new All Too Well version.   A long song from Dream Theater is in the mold of old epics from Yes or Genesis or Pink Floyd etc. where they all included extended solos and/or instrumental passages.   But here Don Mclean or Taylor Swift are basically singing the entire time.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #465 on: December 02, 2021, 07:36:15 PM »
Never underestimate the power of storytelling.  Both American Pie and All Too Well feature great storytelling.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #466 on: December 03, 2021, 01:58:47 AM »
it does remind of a thought I had the other day. When us prog fans think of long songs or "epics"  what we have in mind isn't really the same thing at all as songs like American Pie or the new All Too Well version.   A long song from Dream Theater is in the mold of old epics from Yes or Genesis or Pink Floyd etc. where they all included extended solos and/or instrumental passages.   But here Don Mclean or Taylor Swift are basically singing the entire time.

Also Blind Guardian's 14 minutes And Then there was Silence is filled with lyrics (and therefore vocal lines) from beginning to end. Actually I'd very much welcome a long DT song where James sings at least 85% of the time, something like Voices (yeah, it has a long solo section obviously, but it's not as dominating as, say, the solo section of Metropolis).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #467 on: December 03, 2021, 06:24:24 AM »

Also Blind Guardian's 14 minutes And Then there was Silence is filled with lyrics (and therefore vocal lines) from beginning to end. Actually I'd very much welcome a long DT song where James sings at least 85% of the time, something like Voices (yeah, it has a long solo section obviously, but it's not as dominating as, say, the solo section of Metropolis).

I will preface this by saying that DT is one of my 2-4 favorite bands/artists of all time (whether they rank 2, 3 or 4 depends on what day you ask me), but lyrics and storytelling isn't exactly a strength of theirs.  They have had some good lyrics over the years, and some really good ones early on, including the one you mentioned in Voices, which I think is JP's greatest lyrical achievement to date, but not sure at this stage they have the storytelling chops when it comes to words to pull off a 10-minute plus song that is almost all singing and very low on the instrumental sections.  I get that Taylor Swift is not for everyone here - hell, I am still kinda shocked she has been for me, to the point where she is my most-listened-to artist of 2021 and it's probably not close - but great lyrics and storytelling are her greatest strength, which is why All Too Well works so well as a 10-minute song, even if I personally think that the 5 1/2-minute version from the original Red is still better.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #468 on: December 06, 2021, 12:59:35 PM »
Found this version of Wildest Dreams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGDkg3QiJmk&ab_channel=TaylorSwift

Damn the lady can sing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #469 on: December 06, 2021, 07:09:17 PM »
Found this version of Wildest Dreams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGDkg3QiJmk&ab_channel=TaylorSwift

Damn the lady can sing.

I guess it shows how much I've listened and watched in the last year when I knew what that was going to be before even clicking on it.  :lol :lol

But yeah, great performance.   :tup :tup

Also, INB4 Bill expresses his mad love again for Wildest Dreams.  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #470 on: December 07, 2021, 07:36:13 AM »
You called?   :) :) :) :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #471 on: December 07, 2021, 03:25:39 PM »
You called?   :) :) :) :)

That was not mad love. ;)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #472 on: December 08, 2021, 10:06:04 PM »
I'll gladly take more songs like The Very First Night.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #473 on: December 09, 2021, 08:31:54 AM »

Yeah, that and Message in a Bottle are fun little ear worms, and I like the balance she struck with not only Red, but the From the Vault tracks on Red TV. Just a couple of dance pop songs.  1989 is great, but I wouldn't want her to go back to dance pop being her main genre. 

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #474 on: December 09, 2021, 08:39:07 AM »

Yeah, that and Message in a Bottle are fun little ear worms, and I like the balance she struck with not only Red, but the From the Vault tracks on Red TV. Just a couple of dance pop songs.  1989 is great, but I wouldn't want her to go back to dance pop being her main genre. 

Me too. That'll get in the way of her progressive metal concept album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #475 on: December 09, 2021, 07:44:54 PM »

Me too. That'll get in the way of her progressive metal concept album.

:lol :lol

To all fans, if you have not seen this interview yet, watch it.  It is nearly an hour, but it is most excellent.  The interviewer is great, and listening to her talk so in depth about her songwriting is a joy to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQacWbsLbS4

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #476 on: December 09, 2021, 09:00:31 PM »
After 3 minutes all I could think about was why they each had 2 cameras pointed at themselves and why it kept cutting back and forth. It's like those interviews where for no reason they cut to a black and white shot.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #477 on: December 10, 2021, 06:21:17 AM »
After 3 minutes all I could think about was why they each had 2 cameras pointed at themselves and why it kept cutting back and forth. It's like those interviews where for no reason they cut to a black and white shot.

I suspect that is done for the sake of breaking up the visual a little so viewers do not have the exact same shot for x-number of minutes.

I loved the part of this interview where Taylor talks about how for Folklore, she threw away her "this is what I normally do" checklist.  I can think of a few artists (no names!) that I wish would do that once in a while.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #478 on: December 10, 2021, 10:36:09 AM »

I suspect that is done for the sake of breaking up the visual a little so viewers do not have the exact same shot for x-number of minutes.

I loved the part of this interview where Taylor talks about how for Folklore, she threw away her "this is what I normally do" checklist.  I can think of a few artists (no names!) that I wish would do that once in a while.

It just annoyed me.

Would you rather they bring back the inspiration board?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #479 on: December 10, 2021, 07:31:22 PM »

It just annoyed me.

Would you rather they bring back the inspiration board?

I didn't necessarily mean DT, although I would certainly welcome a curveball from them, but I don't expect it, especially at this stage of their career.  It feels like most sudden left turns in direction work best when an artist does them in their early years rather than the later ones, although I am sure there are a few examples to the contrary.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #480 on: December 11, 2021, 05:39:57 AM »
Well, in 2016 we got an astonishing curveball  :D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #481 on: December 11, 2021, 07:52:06 AM »
Well, a year ago today, we got Evermore.  :coolio :coolio

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #482 on: December 13, 2021, 01:06:40 PM »
Finally bought Red (Taylor’s Version), I’ve never listened to the album so looking forward to listening to it. I actually like I Knew You Were Trouble and We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together so I’m sure I’ll atleast really like the album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #483 on: December 13, 2021, 01:16:03 PM »
Finally bought Red (Taylor’s Version), I’ve never listened to the album so looking forward to listening to it. I actually like I Knew You Were Trouble and We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together so I’m sure I’ll atleast really like the album.

The original is better by a pretty sizable margin in my view, but if you have never heard either, I am sure TV will do just fine.  :tup :tup

For me, it was worth getting for the From the Vault tracks alone.  Forever Winter is still something else. 

BTW, Ms. Swift turned 32 today.  :hat :hat

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #484 on: December 13, 2021, 03:46:10 PM »
yeah happy birthday to our girl Taylor, feeling 32 indeed  :P

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #485 on: December 14, 2021, 09:42:44 PM »
yeah happy birthday to our girl Taylor, feeling 32 indeed  :P

And of course the detective fans are now convinced that she will be announcing TV of Speak Now any day now, as she didn't say anything about the 1-year anniversary of Evermore (which she usually does, apparently), and of course Back to December from Speak Now has the "When your birthday passed and I didn't call" line, so it would be just like her to tie them together to announce it sometime in December. She is clever like that. :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #486 on: December 14, 2021, 10:26:54 PM »
Everything is connected. Taylor Swift is the true mastermind of Marvel Studios. Kevin Fiege is just a puppet figurehead.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #487 on: December 15, 2021, 01:09:57 AM »
she didn't say anything about the 1-year anniversary of Evermore (which she usually does, apparently)

You mean that she is used (as in, it's a little tradition repeated over time) to talk about the anniversary of an album that is just one year old?

;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #488 on: December 15, 2021, 07:42:54 PM »
she didn't say anything about the 1-year anniversary of Evermore (which she usually does, apparently)

You mean that she is used (as in, it's a little tradition repeated over time) to talk about the anniversary of an album that is just one year old?

;D

Exactly. :lol

I would implore any fan to watch the below.  Fantastic performance of Speak Now from the titular tour in 2011.  Fun little theatrical stage presentation, Taylor's voice sounds tremendous here (I think this live version slays the studio version), and the last two minutes is a shining example of why her fans absolutely adore her. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgklxw_hNNk

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #489 on: December 16, 2021, 10:32:23 AM »
I love that live video.