Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5  (Read 172194 times)

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
Re: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5
« Reply #2695 on: March 15, 2023, 11:11:03 AM »
Not sure what I will sink my teeth into next.

Play Deus Ex.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2023, 11:16:22 AM by XJDenton »
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2696 on: March 15, 2023, 11:15:24 AM »
I'm familiar with RE, I've never played a minute of TLOU.   

(Should I?)

It's far more linear than RE, and much more story driven than RE games are typically. I'd say if you are a fan of cinematic games you won't do wrong in giving it a go, because Naughty Dog is pretty damn great at making linear story driven experiences. Also, as a father (you are right?) I'm sure that a lot of the themes of the game will speak to you.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2697 on: March 15, 2023, 11:34:54 AM »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2698 on: March 15, 2023, 11:38:06 AM »

(Should I?)

It's far more linear than RE, and much more story driven than RE games are typically. I'd say if you are a fan of cinematic games you won't do wrong in giving it a go, because Naughty Dog is pretty damn great at making linear story driven experiences. Also, as a father (you are right?) I'm sure that a lot of the themes of the game will speak to you.

I am (one of the reasons I loved BioShock Infinite; even the name resonated). 

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2699 on: March 15, 2023, 11:46:58 AM »
The enhanced version of part 1 is coming out on PC in about 2 weeks, or its out already on PS5. The original should be pretty cheap to pick up on PS3/4.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2700 on: March 17, 2023, 06:54:08 AM »
I can't allow myself to buy RE4 remake, but it is reviewing very well. Will be interesting to replay one of my favorite games of all time as a full on remake.

There are some amazing RE8 sales though, maybe I will score that one. Is the gold edition worth it over the base game?

(Should I?)

I am (one of the reasons I loved BioShock Infinite; even the name resonated).

I think it is worth to check TLOU out for sure. The PS4 remastered version is still great (there is a PS5 remake). The game is linear and is a combo between sneaking around and combat. It is an journey through post apocalyptic USA that keeps escalating and gets more intense as it goes.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #2701 on: March 17, 2023, 08:19:01 AM »
After Dead Space Remake kept me completely stressed out for a month, I'm not sure I'm quite ready for Resident Evil 4, but I'll definitely get around to it over the next few months. :lol I actually just started an Elden Ring NG+ run - which is surprisingly easy - that will keep me busy for a bit.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2702 on: March 17, 2023, 08:48:35 AM »
I can't allow myself to buy RE4 remake, but it is reviewing very well. Will be interesting to replay one of my favorite games of all time as a full on remake.

Hmmm, if RE4 is one of your favorite games of all time, why can't you allow yourself to buy the remake?

Yeah, RE1 is more of a remaster than remake.  It's essentially the original game remastered for modern platforms.

I'm pretty sure it's a remastered version of the remake that was originally a GameCube exclusive. I haven't played that version in a very long time but I remember enjoying it. I know they modernized some controls and stuff compared to the PS1 version but I wonder how it holds up today.

It was an HD remaster of the original game.  I believe the GameCube exclusive you're thinking of is Resident Evil Zero.

The original Resident Evil has two versions on the Playstation 1 (the original and the directors cut), as well as an enhanced version on the Nintendo DS. This original version has this old school live action intro. On the Gamecube, however, they released a full on remake. All the recent HD remasters have been remasters of that remake.

The original version is a wonky cheesefest that has aged terribly, in my opinion. Resident Evil Remake, often referred to as REmake, is excellent (and the only tank control RE I enjoy).

Yeah, I've played the original PS1 version and the remake.  However, I didn't notice much difference between the two besides better graphics and controls.  Seemed more like a remaster than a remake by today's standards (RE2 & RE3).
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2703 on: March 17, 2023, 10:04:38 AM »
Seems to be 9s and 10s across the board for the remake. Capcom have certainly been hitting it out of the park recently.

Think I'll pick it up once Elden Ring has been beaten into submission.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2704 on: March 17, 2023, 11:07:04 AM »
Already pre-ordered my copy. :2metal:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2705 on: March 17, 2023, 04:41:47 PM »

Hmmm, if RE4 is one of your favorite games of all time, why can't you allow yourself to buy the remake?

Yeah, RE1 is more of a remaster than remake.  It's essentially the original game remastered for modern platforms.

I'm pretty sure it's a remastered version of the remake that was originally a GameCube exclusive. I haven't played that version in a very long time but I remember enjoying it. I know they modernized some controls and stuff compared to the PS1 version but I wonder how it holds up today.

It was an HD remaster of the original game.  I believe the GameCube exclusive you're thinking of is Resident Evil Zero.

The original Resident Evil has two versions on the Playstation 1 (the original and the directors cut), as well as an enhanced version on the Nintendo DS. This original version has this old school live action intro. On the Gamecube, however, they released a full on remake. All the recent HD remasters have been remasters of that remake.

The original version is a wonky cheesefest that has aged terribly, in my opinion. Resident Evil Remake, often referred to as REmake, is excellent (and the only tank control RE I enjoy).

Yeah, I've played the original PS1 version and the remake.  However, I didn't notice much difference between the two besides better graphics and controls.  Seemed more like a remaster than a remake by today's standards (RE2 & RE3).

I bought those the other day, RE2 & RE3. I beat the original RE2 never got very far in the original RE3. I'm disappointed that content from that game was not included in the RE3 remake  :tdwn
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2706 on: March 17, 2023, 06:24:05 PM »
Love original RE2 and Remake

Got like 20mins into the original RE3 and just wasn't feeling it and same goes for the remake  :P

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2707 on: March 18, 2023, 03:04:40 AM »

Oh, my last RE4 playthrough is fairly recent, so while the remake looks excellent, I am (or, better put, should) not be in a hurry to pay 70 euros for it.

And that is interesting. I think REmake is quite different. Not only are graphics a big upgrade, the dialouge, cutscenes, voice acting are all entirely different. And while they did use the same core gameplay and mansion lay out, they tweaked many rooms/puzzles and added some mechanics. Some sections are quite different. Take the shark section in the original vs the remake, for example. Personally I feel it is much more of a remake than, say, The Last of Us pt1 / Demons Souls. But everyone has their own labels. I think REmake is one of the original/earlier great remakes.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2708 on: March 18, 2023, 05:26:00 AM »
I kinda threw in the towel with Crash Bandicoot 4. As much fun and nostalgia as I had with the original trilogy, this was just driving me insane. Just way too punishing and frustrating and its game design. I don't mind a challenge but the way this game is constructed where you need to get through levels without dying at all, some levels are very long with some difficult parts and that also doesn't even factor in the time trial aspect if you want to 100% it. In terms of platform games I will always have more of a fondness for the Spyro games, or Mario 64 for example. Crash Bandicoot can be fun but it genuinely feels like a sadistic person designed the 4th game. And the amount of hidden crates on every level is just crazy.

Yeah I know "get good" and all that but I never felt this way about the original 3 games and this one is just too much. Also too many characters with different abilities and new masks that give you temporary powers. Keep it simple damn it! :P

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2709 on: March 18, 2023, 08:41:43 AM »
I kinda threw in the towel with Crash Bandicoot 4. As much fun and nostalgia as I had with the original trilogy, this was just driving me insane. Just way too punishing and frustrating and its game design. I don't mind a challenge but the way this game is constructed where you need to get through levels without dying at all, some levels are very long with some difficult parts and that also doesn't even factor in the time trial aspect if you want to 100% it. In terms of platform games I will always have more of a fondness for the Spyro games, or Mario 64 for example. Crash Bandicoot can be fun but it genuinely feels like a sadistic person designed the 4th game. And the amount of hidden crates on every level is just crazy.

Yeah I know "get good" and all that but I never felt this way about the original 3 games and this one is just too much. Also too many characters with different abilities and new masks that give you temporary powers. Keep it simple damn it! :P

I think Crash 4 is great but then again I don't really care about 100% games, as long as the base game is great and offers a well balanced difficulty. I had a way harder time with 1 in that regard (never did 2 and 3).

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2711 on: March 20, 2023, 10:05:02 AM »
I am expecting Deus Ex remakes in a couple of years (or remasters on the short term). Embracer Group bought the ip and will most certainly use it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2712 on: March 20, 2023, 10:31:37 AM »
I don't know if this is possible (or advisable) but I'd like to see some platform uniformity.  It looks like there are a bunch of games in the Deus Ex universe, but I can only see two that are playable on the systems I have (PS3, PS4, xBox360, xBox One), unless I am sadly mistaken.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2713 on: March 20, 2023, 11:24:36 AM »
The original is PC exclusive (apart from the PS2 port which ... exists). Invisible war is only on PC and original Xbox. Human Revolution and Mankind Divided should both be on modern consoles in some fashion.

The PC original is 20 years old at this point though so even a potato will run it. It's also the Citizen Kane of games so worth playing for that reason alone. HR/MD don't really follow on from the two earlier titles though, so you can easily play those two without knowing anything about the originals (In some ways you might be better off as you wont see what is missing).
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 11:30:23 AM by XJDenton »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2714 on: March 20, 2023, 11:49:27 AM »
I played Human Revolution - one of the best games I've ever played - I have Mankind Divided downloaded.

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #2715 on: March 20, 2023, 02:45:15 PM »
Has anyone else here heard of a game on Steam called Pizza Tower? I got it today, and it's exceeding my expectations so far. It's a really fast-paced 2D platformer, which is quite challenging but isn't super difficult (unless you want to go for the S Ranks). The controls take some getting used to, but after that, it's a blast. The levels are very replayable, and I haven't even begun the next set of levels because I'm enjoying going for higher scores in the earlier levels.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2717 on: March 20, 2023, 08:45:25 PM »
I'll throw my recommendation for the two latest Deus Ex games as well as I had a blast with them.

On the immersive sim front while I dabbled with Hitman 2016 last year and picked up Hitman 2 towards the end of last year I got the World of Assassination bundle a week or so after it came out and oh boy I have not been hooked on a game like that in quite a long time. Being newish to the series in general I'm absolutely all in and while I enjoyed the intricate level designs in games like Mankind Divided (Prague especially) and Dishonored 2 the WOA trilogy just takes in cake in terms of pure masterclass of sandbox level design. Outside of one or two less than stellar maps having 20 or so usually massive areas with tons of nooks and crannies, secrets, etc. really hits it off for me. I heard it somewhere but this game might say Yes to the player more than any I've ever played.

The new Freelancer mode they dropped a couple months ago is incredibly addicting as an post campaign mode. I got so into the game I did full mastery of all levels so I felt prepared to take on this new gauntlet only to keep failing. Even so it's been a blast and I'm way more confident in my play style than I was having beaten 4-5 campaigns. I've amassed about 170+ hours over the last month and a half and I can't see myself putting the game down anytime soon.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2718 on: March 20, 2023, 09:04:58 PM »
The PC original is 20 years old at this point though so even a potato will run it. It's also the Citizen Kane of games so worth playing for that reason alone.

That potato line got me laughing. I remember playing it a long time ago in its new-ish years. I highly enjoyed it, it was unlike anything I had played up till that point. Yet I don't think I fully appreciated how great it was while playing it at the time.

I'll throw my recommendation for the two latest Deus Ex games as well as I had a blast with them.

Likewise.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2719 on: March 21, 2023, 03:54:01 AM »

On the immersive sim front while I dabbled with Hitman 2016 last year and picked up Hitman 2 towards the end of last year I got the World of Assassination bundle a week or so after it came out and oh boy I have not been hooked on a game like that in quite a long time. Being newish to the series in general I'm absolutely all in and while I enjoyed the intricate level designs in games like Mankind Divided (Prague especially) and Dishonored 2 the WOA trilogy just takes in cake in terms of pure masterclass of sandbox level design. Outside of one or two less than stellar maps having 20 or so usually massive areas with tons of nooks and crannies, secrets, etc. really hits it off for me. I heard it somewhere but this game might say Yes to the player more than any I've ever played.

The new Freelancer mode they dropped a couple months ago is incredibly addicting as an post campaign mode. I got so into the game I did full mastery of all levels so I felt prepared to take on this new gauntlet only to keep failing. Even so it's been a blast and I'm way more confident in my play style than I was having beaten 4-5 campaigns. I've amassed about 170+ hours over the last month and a half and I can't see myself putting the game down anytime soon.

The total package of Hitman Trilogy with all content is one of the best games ever made in my opinion. I have yet to try World of Assassination.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2720 on: March 21, 2023, 04:55:50 AM »
WOA is just the new bundle name for the entire trilogy, most of the DLC, and the new Freelancer mood. It's one of the most generous deals in games. For some reason they didn't include the two DLC levels from Hitman 2 but those are only an extra $10.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2721 on: March 21, 2023, 05:19:50 AM »
WOA is just the new bundle name for the entire trilogy, most of the DLC, and the new Freelancer mood. It's one of the most generous deals in games. For some reason they didn't include the two DLC levels from Hitman 2 but those are only an extra $10.

I have everything, I think, except for the Deluxe edition content of Hitman 3.

And that is an odd omission, since the Hitman 2 DLC maps are part of the core campaign.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2722 on: March 21, 2023, 05:42:56 AM »
Completely agreed and it's baffling to a lot of people. Still, the latest bundle was or still is 45% off on Steam so for anyone looking to takr the plunge I can't think of another better bang for your buck. Toss in the Hitman 2 Expansion to get the DLC levels and it's still less than a full new game.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #2723 on: March 21, 2023, 01:49:24 PM »
Just got Omori, and it's such a cute and lovely game, reminds me of Earthbound. Surely that content warning at the beginning is a little joke, right haha...

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #2724 on: March 21, 2023, 03:08:22 PM »
Just got Omori, and it's such a cute and lovely game, reminds me of Earthbound. Surely that content warning at the beginning is a little joke, right haha...

OMORI is one of my favorite games of all time. It's quite an experience, I hope you enjoy!

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2725 on: March 21, 2023, 03:44:19 PM »

Oh, my last RE4 playthrough is fairly recent, so while the remake looks excellent, I am (or, better put, should) not be in a hurry to pay 70 euros for it.

And that is interesting. I think REmake is quite different. Not only are graphics a big upgrade, the dialouge, cutscenes, voice acting are all entirely different. And while they did use the same core gameplay and mansion lay out, they tweaked many rooms/puzzles and added some mechanics. Some sections are quite different. Take the shark section in the original vs the remake, for example. Personally I feel it is much more of a remake than, say, The Last of Us pt1 / Demons Souls. But everyone has their own labels. I think REmake is one of the original/earlier great remakes.

Yeah, I can see that some may want to wait for a price drop, but for RE4, I just can't wait.  I don't mind paying full price for a highly anticipated quality product.

Thanks for the memory refresh on RE1.  I guess it has been quite a while since I played both the original and REmake.  Sorry for the confusion.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2726 on: March 22, 2023, 04:11:17 AM »
I recently checked my Humble Bundle account and realised that due to letting a subscription run for a year or so a while ago, I have quite a number of games that I have keys to but in all likelihood will never get around to playing. So if anyone wants any of these, PM me and ill send you a key. The ones with asterisks might not work since I already own them and apparently Humble Bundle doesn't allow extra giftable copies anymore, but I can give them a go.

A New Beginning - Final Cut
Age of Wonders III
All You Can Eat
Armello
The Ball
A New Beginning - Final Cut
Age of Wonders III
All You Can Eat
Armello
The Ball
Broken Age
Company of Heroes 2
Crowntakers
EarthNight
Eastside Hockey Manager
Elite Dangerous
Endless Space
Football Manager 2020
FRAMED Collection
FTL
Gonner
Gunscape
Hyper Light Drifter
In Between
Jackbox Party Pack 4
Kingdom Classic
Knights of Pen and Paper 2
MirrorMoon EP
My Memory of Us
NBA 2K20
Neo Cab
Newt One
No Time to Explain Remastered
>observer_
Overgrowth
Overlord II
Pesterquest
Planet of the Eyes
Plunge
Realpolitiks
This War of Mine
Sonic & SEGA All Stars Racing
Spelunky*
Surviving Mars*
Resident Evil Revelations
Sniper Elite
Sniper Elite V2
Dead Rising 2
Dead Rising 4
Outlast 2
The Long Dark
Life is Strange Complete Season (Episodes 1-5)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2727 on: March 22, 2023, 05:01:50 PM »
So Counter Strike 2 is just a reskinned CSGO with no actual new maps only updated old maps?
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2728 on: March 22, 2023, 06:07:46 PM »
So Counter Strike 2 is just a reskinned CSGO with no actual new maps only updated old maps?

Just as Go was reskinned source, which was reskinned 1.6.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2729 on: March 23, 2023, 06:38:46 AM »
Pretty much. I've been playing csgo nightly for a few years now and I've played it on and off since CS beta .62 and IMO they don't need to change a winning formula. The game is one of the most played concurrent games on steam and really why make it something else? I'm most excited about the sub-tick tech. That's where CS really shows it's age.