Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5  (Read 177064 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5
« Reply #2660 on: March 10, 2023, 06:54:46 AM »
I've heard that gt7 on psvr2 is amazing so look at some reviews there and see if that sways your opinion. I was debating a long time getting a PS5 but with the games slowly trickling to PC I'll pass.

Did you pay the first GOW?

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2661 on: March 10, 2023, 07:03:30 AM »
I've heard that gt7 on psvr2 is amazing so look at some reviews there and see if that sways your opinion. I was debating a long time getting a PS5 but with the games slowly trickling to PC I'll pass.

Did you pay the first GOW?

Negative. Is it much different?

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2662 on: March 10, 2023, 07:05:12 AM »
So I haven't played Ragnarok but my buddies who've played both say that Ragnarok is pretty much exactly the same.

Have you tried Astros playroom? I've heard great things about that and I believe it comes with the PS5

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2663 on: March 10, 2023, 07:07:08 AM »
So I haven't played Ragnarok but my buddies who've played both say that Ragnarok is pretty much exactly the same.

Have you tried Astros playroom? I've heard great things about that and I believe it comes with the PS5

I haven't. Is it actually a game? I remember that on the PS4 and it was more of a demo or the new controller features. I'll give that a look after work.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2664 on: March 10, 2023, 07:17:17 AM »
Doing a replay of Metroid fusion on switch. 20 years later and it still holds up great
« Last Edit: March 10, 2023, 07:27:59 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2665 on: March 10, 2023, 12:20:23 PM »
In terms of gameplay, I agree that they're pretty much the same. In terms of story, Ragnarok actually reminds me a bit of The Last of Us 2 in that it's a bit more ambitious, jumps all over the place, and has some pacing issues at times. I think the first game had a much tighter (although not necessarily better) story. The whole thing reminds me very much of the Xbox 360 era, where you'd have games like Gears of War 1/2/3 that were super similar but at least it allowed for games to be released in a reasonable amount of time.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2666 on: March 10, 2023, 01:17:20 PM »

I haven't. Is it actually a game? I remember that on the PS4 and it was more of a demo or the new controller features. I'll give that a look after work.

Yeah, it should be in your game library.  It's pretty cool, but the novelty kinda wears off after a while.  It definitely has more content than the PS4 version.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #2667 on: March 11, 2023, 04:15:18 PM »
PS4 version? Of Astro's Playroom? Missed that one

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2668 on: March 12, 2023, 05:14:16 PM »
Astrobot Rescue Mission on the PSVR is one of the best 3d platformers ever in my opinion. And it has more content than the free PS5 game (which is also a good game, great pack in).

I assume you meant the playtoom thingy from 2013, Dublagent66?

It is a good little 3d platformer, I think it's worth to check it out. It's about three hours and is a neat way to show of the controller tech and celebrate the Playstation brand.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2669 on: March 13, 2023, 05:42:55 AM »
Astrobot Rescue Mission on the PSVR is one of the best 3d platformers ever in my opinion. And it has more content than the free PS5 game (which is also a good game, great pack in).

It is a good little 3d platformer, I think it's worth to check it out. It's about three hours and is a neat way to show of the controller tech and celebrate the Playstation brand.

Thanks for the info.

I have to say... that DualSense controller is without a doubt the best controller I've used to date. I thought the DS4 was perfect, and I was skeptical about some of the ergonomic changes, but I love it. Those L2/R2 triggers are something else! The feedback on them when finessing the throttle and brake in GT7 is incredible. I want similar feedback in the sticks next  :lol

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2670 on: March 13, 2023, 06:52:50 AM »
In terms of gameplay, I agree that they're pretty much the same. In terms of story, Ragnarok actually reminds me a bit of The Last of Us 2 in that it's a bit more ambitious, jumps all over the place, and has some pacing issues at times. I think the first game had a much tighter (although not necessarily better) story. The whole thing reminds me very much of the Xbox 360 era, where you'd have games like Gears of War 1/2/3 that were super similar but at least it allowed for games to be released in a reasonable amount of time.

Santa Monica set out to "make the best PS4 game possible" with Ragnarok, very much continuing 2018 and expanding on it. I think it is a good approach to make two games without much of a leap. I think too many devs invest massive amounts of money/time into making games "next gen" while we are at a point where games from almost a decade ago with some adjustments still hold up remarkably well. Ragnarok looks almost the same as goW 2018, yet is not at all out of place on the PS5 (and runs on 100+ fps while looking sharp).

The Last of Us pt. 2 is similar in gameplay to 1, but it was a big leap in tech and has a much larger scope in level design.

Gears 1-4 are the same game to me, in terms of gameplay (only 2 plays more with level interactivity, not sure where that went). I played them over the last few years, since I first got an Xbox.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2671 on: March 13, 2023, 10:06:55 AM »

Thanks for the info.

I have to say... that DualSense controller is without a doubt the best controller I've used to date. I thought the DS4 was perfect, and I was skeptical about some of the ergonomic changes, but I love it. Those L2/R2 triggers are something else! The feedback on them when finessing the throttle and brake in GT7 is incredible. I want similar feedback in the sticks next  :lol

I switched to using a dualsense on PC a couple of weeks ago, and its super comfy.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2672 on: March 13, 2023, 10:29:03 AM »
Yeah, Sony's DualSense controllers are fuckin' badass.  Now, they have new DS Edge controllers.  Haven't tried one of those yet.

Downloaded the RE4 Remake demo over the weekend.  Looks really good and they decided to add the crafting element for ammo and a new stealth attack feature.  Countdown to a week from Friday.  Can't wait.  :)
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2673 on: March 13, 2023, 10:59:42 AM »
I saw that there is a Steam sale on the Resident Evil games. I'm thinking of picking up a couple. I played I think it was Nemesis on the PS2 decades ago and remember having a ball with it. Never got them on PC and was going to get them but damn there's like a million of them now. Are the remakes of 2 &3 worth it? I'll probably pick those and maybe 7 as that looks demented. Not sure about Village. I'm assuming there's no story continuity between them all?
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2674 on: March 13, 2023, 11:24:05 AM »
I have all the RE games and yes, the remakes of 2 & 3 are good and I expect 4 will be also.  RE7 is probably the most gruesome and disturbing of the bunch (there's some freaky shit going on in that game).  Village was pretty good too.  I know once I finish the RE4 remake, I'll want to go back and play the others again.  The RE franchise is one of my all time favs.  :hefdaddy

There is continuity in the gameplay and some of the stories are somewhat similar, but there really is no continuing storyline.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2675 on: March 13, 2023, 12:06:09 PM »
Playing that RE 4 remake demo now on my PC, it looks really good. Gore is definitely a lot more bloody and gory than I'm used to lol.   
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2676 on: March 13, 2023, 12:21:21 PM »
Thomas Middleditch from Silicon Valley is roleplaying in RDR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7C0NsN8gsA&ab_channel=ThomasMiddleditch
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2677 on: March 13, 2023, 01:41:24 PM »
I have all the RE games and yes, the remakes of 2 & 3 are good and I expect 4 will be also.  RE7 is probably the most gruesome and disturbing of the bunch (there's some freaky shit going on in that game).  Village was pretty good too.  I know once I finish the RE4 remake, I'll want to go back and play the others again.  The RE franchise is one of my all time favs.  :hefdaddy

There is continuity in the gameplay and some of the stories are somewhat similar, but there really is no continuing storyline.

I played RE2 this past year, then went back and played 1.  I will be starting RE3 remake once I finish Skryim (and maybe Deus Ex).  Though I need to get one more trophy on RE2 (the 100 zombies in the convenience store bonus game; I got to 88 and couldn't get past that).

It's really good, and really exciting.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2678 on: March 13, 2023, 01:48:11 PM »
I saw that there is a Steam sale on the Resident Evil games. I'm thinking of picking up a couple. I played I think it was Nemesis on the PS2 decades ago and remember having a ball with it. Never got them on PC and was going to get them but damn there's like a million of them now. Are the remakes of 2 &3 worth it? I'll probably pick those and maybe 7 as that looks demented. Not sure about Village. I'm assuming there's no story continuity between them all?

1 Remake remastered, 2 remake, 4, and 7 are the best in my opinion (with 4 and 2 being my favourites).

I would go for 2 remake or 7 (as 4 remake is coming soon). 1 remake is more old fashioned.

3 remake is a nice game, but feels more like a high production value addon than a full game. It is like 5 hours and has less to it in terms of gameplay than most other entries. Still a fun game though! 5 and 6 are much more action focused and a product of the PS360 era third person shooter boom. I like them, but don't think they are very representative of the franchise overall.

Most spin offs aren't as good, except for the Revelations games. Revelations 2 is great. But compared to most mainline remakes/remasters, it is less AAA/shiny and new.

I have yet to play 8.

There is definitely an ongoing story, but I would not say you need it for any of them. They all have stand alone plotlines. 2 and 3 have some overlap (takes place in the same city around the same time).

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2679 on: March 13, 2023, 03:42:35 PM »
Yeah, RE1 is more of a remaster than remake.  It's essentially the original game remastered for modern platforms.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2680 on: March 13, 2023, 06:11:08 PM »
Yeah, RE1 is more of a remaster than remake.  It's essentially the original game remastered for modern platforms.

I'm pretty sure it's a remastered version of the remake that was originally a GameCube exclusive. I haven't played that version in a very long time but I remember enjoying it. I know they modernized some controls and stuff compared to the PS1 version but I wonder how it holds up today.

I wonder why they didn't make another remake of that first game but they decided 4 needed a remake. I replayed RE4 a few years ago and I thought the gameplay still held up pretty well.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2681 on: March 13, 2023, 07:58:43 PM »
If they remade 1 with the RE2 remake engine, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Here goes a fan game where the made the attempt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZtkQdLM1rc&ab_channel=ResidenceofEvil

Outside of the crimson heads and having to burn all the zombies, I liked gamecube RE1 a lot. I would like to see them revisit it though.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 08:05:01 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #2682 on: March 14, 2023, 07:12:42 AM »
I wasn't sure whether to post this in the TLOU thread or here, but after watching the show, I feel like I gained a new appreciation for the video game. The show was phenomenal, they did a great job, and it's probably the best game adaptation ever... But despite all that, the game still holds up! I feel like it's still the definitive way to experience this particular story (unless you just don't play games). And again... That's not a criticism of the show! The show's great... The game is just that good.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2683 on: March 14, 2023, 09:26:51 AM »
I think it demonstrates the differences in the strengths of the two mediums. Personally, I felt the show handled the main story beats a bit better than the game did, and I think, for example, a story as told in episode 3 would have been hard to achieve in the game. But the game's strengths aren't in the main story beats, but in the mundane. The ambience of exploration, the banter between the characters as you explore, and the minor reaction of the world and its characters to your choices.

To me they are the same story, both beautifully told, and both playing to the strengths of the medium which is telling them.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2684 on: March 14, 2023, 04:22:45 PM »
It is an excellent adaption for sure, most things come down to personal preferences. For me it is probably an 8/10 show and a 10/10 game (which means I love both). Obviously I already knew the story prior to the show, which affects it. I appreciate the game is sort of a intimate experience where you are with the main cast at all times, whereas the series expands on the setting by showing different sides and plotlines outside of the core duo.

I think Naughty Dog has skirted the line between game and cinematic experience often in recent times btw. In both Uncharted 4 and TLOU pt 2 there are significant sections without action. Many people complain about pacing issues because of it, but to me it is partially what makes them far beyond the level of comparable games. And the series did  a similar thing in their own way with the Bill plot in my view. It is unconventional to have a self contained storyline like that in your limited series, but the series stands out because of narrative risks like this.

pt2 will be hard to adapt, but these people have the talent to make it work excellently. I am hoping for a bit more wholesome moments like Bill's story though, I think pt.2 could use that.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2685 on: March 14, 2023, 04:52:41 PM »
I haven't played 2 yet, but I know the story, and it just seems oppressively bleak. So yeah, hoping they can inject some levity into the series.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2686 on: March 15, 2023, 07:14:06 AM »

I'm pretty sure it's a remastered version of the remake that was originally a GameCube exclusive. I haven't played that version in a very long time but I remember enjoying it. I know they modernized some controls and stuff compared to the PS1 version but I wonder how it holds up today.

It was an HD remaster of the original game.  I believe the GameCube exclusive you're thinking of is Resident Evil Zero.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2687 on: March 15, 2023, 07:56:27 AM »

It was an HD remaster of the original game.  I believe the GameCube exclusive you're thinking of is Resident Evil Zero.

Now I'm confused. I thought you were talking about the GameCube remake which was an exclusive full-on remake of Resident Evil 1. I think this is the version that's been HDified/remastered for last-gen consoles and PC. The original game was for the PS1.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resident_Evil_(2002_video_game)
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #2688 on: March 15, 2023, 08:26:21 AM »
I haven't played 2 yet, but I know the story, and it just seems oppressively bleak. So yeah, hoping they can inject some levity into the series.
If I had to guess, I think they will take the opportunity to add a few more moments of levity, or maybe just place more emphasis on the levity that was already there. For example, there's a really beautiful scene in Part 2 where Ellie plays guitar and sings for someone, but I think a lot of players missed it since it's in an optional area. Maybe they expand on that a bit.

I don't think that people need respite all the time, but just one or two things can make all the difference. Hell, I think the giraffe scene alone gave the first game all the levity it needed. If you remove just that scene, people would probably call Part 1 oppressively bleak too. :lol You just need that kind of thing sprinkled about here and there.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2689 on: March 15, 2023, 08:55:28 AM »
To quote the great philosopher Ross: “You have to have dark in order to show light, just like in life.”

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2690 on: March 15, 2023, 09:01:20 AM »

I'll remain vague to prevent major spoilers for people new to TLOU.

But I think the most important part of liking 2 comes down to how much the player can relate to Abby and her group. The initial quest for vengeance felt pretty good and worked well, it was much more of a traditional (revenge) story. But then halfway into the game getting to her side my initial reaction wasn't very good. The game had to win me over (but did so by crafting an amazing group of new characters). I think the cast of the second half is equally well written when compared to any TLOU character and it made me feel uncomfortable about the acts I committed in the first half in hindsight. I feel like they took a big narrative risk with the structure. They could make it more accessible by simply adjusting the order of the story.

Still, I don't think it is necessarily too bleak. A lot of characters paid the highest price for their actions, but several come out of the plot alive, well, and with hope for the future.

Too bad you already know the story though, personally I thought it was one hell of a ride, about equal to the first.

The original Resident Evil has two versions on the Playstation 1 (the original and the directors cut), as well as an enhanced version on the Nintendo DS. This original version has this old school live action intro. On the Gamecube, however, they released a full on remake. All the recent HD remasters have been remasters of that remake.

The original version is a wonky cheesefest that has aged terribly, in my opinion. Resident Evil Remake, often referred to as REmake, is excellent (and the only tank control RE I enjoy).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2691 on: March 15, 2023, 09:02:56 AM »
If I had to guess, I think they will take the opportunity to add a few more moments of levity, or maybe just place more emphasis on the levity that was already there. For example, there's a really beautiful scene in Part 2 where Ellie plays guitar and sings for someone, but I think a lot of players missed it since it's in an optional area. Maybe they expand on that a bit.

I don't think that people need respite all the time, but just one or two things can make all the difference. Hell, I think the giraffe scene alone gave the first game all the levity it needed. If you remove just that scene, people would probably call Part 1 oppressively bleak too. :lol You just need that kind of thing sprinkled about here and there.

Are you guys talking about Resident Evil or The Last Of Us?

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2692 on: March 15, 2023, 09:06:51 AM »

TLOU.

Resident Evil stories are, eh, overall very different in tone  :P

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2693 on: March 15, 2023, 09:11:41 AM »

TLOU.

Resident Evil stories are, eh, overall very different in tone  :P

I'm familiar with RE, I've never played a minute of TLOU.   

(Should I?)

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2694 on: March 15, 2023, 09:37:05 AM »
Got to the credits of Hogwarts Legacy and then uninstalled it. Got about 40 hours out of it.

I would say overall the story was serviceable and some of the voice acting got a bit grating, especially some of the lines you kept hearing over and over. However what it did well was the open world and the atmosphere. Some of the side stuff was fun, but the world itself really was the hero. Similar to playing some of the Star Wars games, it's almost less about the actual gameplay but more about being in that world and the freedom of exploring it. I did enjoy the fighting element and throwing spells around was both fun and visually satisfying.

Probably won't go for 100% or all Steam achievements though. As much as I enjoyed my 40 hours, I know for a fact my girlfriend has twice that time played and even she hasn't 100% or gotten all achievements. I'm just not passionate or dedicated enough to grind those things out, and that's fine. There's only a select amount of games I really want, and feel a need to 100% anyways. Just getting to the credits is usually fine with me.

Not sure what I will sink my teeth into next. I'm maybe halfway through Crash Bandicoot 4 on Steam which is another game I want to finish, but not 100%. Love platformers and have a lot of nostalgia for Crash Bandicoot (games 1-3 especially) but out of all the platform games I would say this is one of the rougher ones if you actually want to get everything. Just thinking about the time trials has me going "nope". Will probably try to wrap this one up over the next week or two. Got The Last of Us coming on PC soon, haven't played it since the PS4 days and I'm hyped to play it again after the tv-show as well.