Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5  (Read 172091 times)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5
« Reply #2555 on: February 24, 2023, 02:20:57 PM »
So Rocksteady made the new "Arkham" game a shooter with heavy focus on loot and online. I am quite certain this will end up like The Avengers or Arkham Knights. They could have the next Hogwarts Legacy or Fallen Order if they just focused on making a good Batman game, it has been 8 years since Arkham Knight.

Bummer.  I love all three (Arkham, Arkham City, Origins) but the last one, the online part was sort of a drag.  It seems that the more the online portion, the less I like it, with Star Wars Battlefront maybe the one exception.

I wasn't aware of the new game being a shooter.  Shame because the first few Arkham games were really good and they could just expand on that.  Oh well.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2556 on: February 25, 2023, 04:22:02 AM »
Finished the main story of Hogwarts Legacy, have spent maybe around 35 hours in the game so far. I think the story might only be a 6/10, it's not the most original, creative, or fun, but it's one of those games where the atmosphere, the world and the gameplay kinda elevates the overall package. Will probably spend a bit more time in it, get some achievements, do some side quests and stuff like that. I don't think I will go for 100% or all achievements since some of these seem kinda grindy and not something I want to do, like replaying the game as the other 3 houses (up to a certain point). Overall though I would say it was an enjoyable experience, for a game I wasn't sure if it would be good or bad.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2557 on: February 25, 2023, 08:43:44 PM »
So Rocksteady made the new "Arkham" game a shooter with heavy focus on loot and online. I am quite certain this will end up like The Avengers or Arkham Knights. They could have the next Hogwarts Legacy or Fallen Order if they just focused on making a good Batman game, it has been 8 years since Arkham Knight.

Bummer.  I love all three (Arkham, Arkham City, Origins) but the last one, the online part was sort of a drag.  It seems that the more the online portion, the less I like it, with Star Wars Battle front maybe the one exception.

I wasn't aware of the new game being a shooter.  Shame because the first few Arkham games were really good and they could just expand on that.  Oh well.

Which new Arkham game is this?
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2558 on: February 26, 2023, 06:53:11 AM »

Bummer.  I love all three (Arkham, Arkham City, Origins) but the last one, the online part was sort of a drag.  It seems that the more the online portion, the less I like it, with Star Wars Battle front maybe the one exception.

Which new Arkham game is this?

I should have worded it otherwise, sorry, it is the next Rocksteady game, Suicide Squad, with Batman and other heroes as villains. I thought it was set in Gotham/Arkham, but it is in Metropolis. Anyways, it is the next big title from Rocksteady, set in the Batman/DC universe, kinda featuring Batman.

I actually like the core concept and the gameplay looks pretty solid, but I have very low expectations of it's excecution for the reasons mentioned. WB probably wanted an online loot shooter and Rocksteady had to mold their game into that vision.

It is a talented studio though, so perhaps it turns out well. But I just feel they could've made another banger of a superhero game that would do incredibly well. It is weird to see captain boomerang not use his boomerang but use one of those generic looter shooter guns instead, to be honest.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2559 on: February 26, 2023, 07:54:42 AM »
Hit a game-breaker bug on Skyrim, I think.  Doing the "Totems Of Hircine" quest line, and inadvertently asked Aela for the next quest while in the Underforge.  She gave me an Animal Extinction quest at Greenspring Hollow - instead of the third ToH quest - but I had killed the saber cat a long time ago, and now I'm in a sort of do-loop.  It shows a quest marker, but there's no animal to kill, and I go back to Aela and she says "I already gave you a job!" or something like that.  The animal doesn't respawn, so...  I THINK I can still cure myself of lycanthropy (to do the Vampire quest line) but we'll see. 

Bummer.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2560 on: February 26, 2023, 07:56:39 AM »
Hit a game-breaker bug on Skyrim, I think.  Doing the "Totems Of Hircine" quest line, and inadvertently asked Aela for the next quest while in the Underforge.  She gave me an Animal Extinction quest at Greenspring Hollow - instead of the third ToH quest - but I had killed the saber cat a long time ago, and now I'm in a sort of do-loop.  It shows a quest marker, but there's no animal to kill, and I go back to Aela and she says "I already gave you a job!" or something like that.  The animal doesn't respawn, so...  I THINK I can still cure myself of lycanthropy (to do the Vampire quest line) but we'll see. 

Bummer.

Are you playing this game on PC or console? I was able to "fix" a game breaking bug in the main quest on PC but it was weird.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2561 on: February 26, 2023, 07:59:56 AM »

Bummer.

Are you playing this game on PC or console? I was able to "fix" a game breaking bug in the main quest on PC but it was weird.

Console.  PS4.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2562 on: February 26, 2023, 08:46:03 AM »
Escape from Tarkov is one of my favourite games ever, nothing compares to it. But with it's high stakes it attractes alot of cheaters sadly and it's gotten so much worse the last couple of years. It's hard to watch this video and knowing your favourite game is being killed slowly. More and more players will stop playing the game because the devs have a hard time keeping up.

The Wiggle That Killed Tarkov
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2563 on: February 26, 2023, 11:45:26 AM »

Bummer.

Console.  PS4.

Curses! Do you have any earlier saves?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2564 on: February 26, 2023, 12:44:22 PM »
Well, I thought I did, but apparently the quick saves don't last.  There's a big jump from last night all the way back to last Saturday, and let's just say "I've played a lot since last Saturday".  :)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2565 on: February 26, 2023, 12:57:50 PM »
Well, I thought I did, but apparently the quick saves don't last.  There's a big jump from last night all the way back to last Saturday, and let's just say "I've played a lot since last Saturday".  :)
Yeah, sometimes you gotta replay a ways. Doing that right now with FO4, as a matter of fact. When I have to resort to that I'll typically go in a completely different direction and deal with other things for a while. There's enough stuff to do in these games you can put off repeating your now unfinished quests for weeks. Go hang with the Greybeards for a while or something.

Not sure if it's different in PS4, but quicksaves simply overwrite. Manual saves last forever. Autosaves overwrite after a certain number, and exitsaves overwrite each time. You should be able to find a mod that'll create incremental saves, though. I'll usually set it up to save every 5 minutes and only overwrite after 20 saves.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2566 on: February 26, 2023, 01:01:13 PM »
I'm going to just move on. I'm only going to miss one of the Hircine Totems.  I can, I think, still do the Dragonborn werewolf quest and then I'm going to try the Vampire story line.  But I think I'm going to make one hard save at the end of each day or something like that, so I always have a save within 24 hours or so.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2567 on: February 26, 2023, 01:15:43 PM »
I'm going to just move on. I'm only going to miss one of the Hircine Totems.  I can, I think, still do the Dragonborn werewolf quest and then I'm going to try the Vampire story line.  But I think I'm going to make one hard save at the end of each day or something like that, so I always have a save within 24 hours or so.
I never found the werewolf story all that interesting. Until I got a first person werewolf mod, that is, and it became one of the best parts of the entire game.  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2568 on: February 27, 2023, 08:37:36 AM »

Bummer.

Console.  PS4.

I'm really surprised Bethesda hasn't released a patch to remedy that. I've seen that one mentioned around the internet several times. Seems pretty common.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2569 on: February 27, 2023, 08:41:04 AM »

Bummer.

Console.  PS4.

I'm really surprised Bethesda hasn't released a patch to remedy that. I've seen that one mentioned around the internet several times. Seems pretty common.

I haven't touched Skyrim in forever, but this reminds me of a bug (maybe the same one) I had in Skyrim that prevented me from continuing a side quest.  It is amazing how they haven't fixed these bugs although I guess for the really old versions of the game, I understand.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2570 on: February 27, 2023, 08:44:21 AM »

Bummer.

Console.  PS4.

I'm actually not surprised they haven't fixed it.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2571 on: February 27, 2023, 08:57:05 AM »
I'm sure the same type of bug will be in Starfield  :lol

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2572 on: February 27, 2023, 01:25:46 PM »
In any large open world game with RPG elements I use the maximum amount of saves, especially in Bethesda titles.

But this bug still being there 11-12 years and 4 versions later is actually surprising me, despite Bethesda's awful track record. You can literally find decade old posts about it.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2573 on: February 27, 2023, 02:36:42 PM »
The benefit of soulslikes: save scumming isn't an option. :P
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2574 on: February 27, 2023, 02:49:59 PM »
What is "save scumming"?

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #2575 on: February 27, 2023, 03:04:54 PM »
What is "save scumming"?

It's more or less when a player constantly saves and reloads a game for whatever advantage they want to get out of it. It's also a phrase commonly used when referring to abusing save states/restore points in re-releases or emulations of older games, where you can save the exact point in time you're at and then immediately reload when you need to.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2576 on: February 27, 2023, 03:27:31 PM »
What is "save scumming"?

It's more or less when a player constantly saves and reloads a game for whatever advantage they want to get out of it. It's also a phrase commonly used when referring to abusing save states/restore points in re-releases or emulations of older games, where you can save the exact point in time you're at and then immediately reload when you need to.

Oh, I've never done that!  :)  ::)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2577 on: February 27, 2023, 03:38:31 PM »
Bethesda has the advantage of an avid modding community and the knowledge that they'll produce unofficial patches to resolve most of these bugs. I've typically assumed that Beth had their own people actually working on the unofficial patches but won't cop to it. That said, to be fair these sorts of bugs are going to happen in a game as complex as Skyrim. A game with so many different interactions simply cannot account for each and every one of them. I'm honestly amazed that they do as well as they do.

The benefit of soulslikes: save scumming isn't an option. :P
A wonderful game called Kingdom Come went that route. Public outcry was such that they compromised.  The next patch made it so that aside from scripted save points, the only way to manually save the game was to drink a bottle of mead, leaving you with the drunkenness effect for 10 minutes, and the possible burgeoning of an alcohol problem.

Might be the only game ever created where the first mods weren't about slapping humongous tits on the female NPCs, but rather instituting a save mechanism.  :lol
E.F. Benson

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2578 on: February 27, 2023, 04:40:00 PM »
Thank Crom a mod came out to allow save state in that buggy mess of a Kingdom Come game.

Edit: I can understand not being allowed to save in combat but fuck having to redo other shit (Souls Boss Runs) over and over again.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2579 on: February 28, 2023, 02:09:29 AM »
Rise, Tarnished, and let us walk a new path together.
An upcoming expansion for #ELDENRING Shadow of the Erdtree, is currently in development.
We hope you look forward to new adventures in the Lands Between.

Sounds like it's a bit into the future, can't wait for it though.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #2580 on: February 28, 2023, 02:33:58 AM »
An upcoming expansion for #ELDENRING Shadow of the Erdtree, is currently in development.

Need to play the base game before this comes out, since I now have a machine that can run this game without issues!

I also got a physical copy of Horizon: Forbidden West from a friend, since he downloaded it from PS+. Haven't played the first Horizon, but I'm really enjoying this. The platforming puzzles suck ass, but everything else is fantastic! I have put something like 4 hours into the game so far.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2581 on: February 28, 2023, 06:01:46 AM »

I really want to do a warrior mage build playthrough. I'll probably start that a month or two before the DLC comes out!
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2582 on: February 28, 2023, 06:04:38 AM »
I'll hopefully be done with the base game by the time this one comes out :lol. I chip away at it almost daily.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #2583 on: February 28, 2023, 06:35:08 AM »
For a variety of reasons (e.g., damaged box, duplicate gifts, forgetting I already had a physical copy, etc.), I've accumulated multiple copies of a few games. Right now they're just sitting in storage and I really don't want them to go to waste. If anyone is interested, feel free to DM me and I'll send to you for just the cost of postage (disc only):

* Guardians of the Galaxy on Xbox
* Last of Us 2 on PS4
* Resident Evil 3 on Xbox
* Resident Evil 7 on PS4
* Uncharted Trilogy on PS4
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2584 on: February 28, 2023, 07:13:14 AM »
Bethesda has the advantage of an avid modding community and the knowledge that they'll produce unofficial patches to resolve most of these bugs. I've typically assumed that Beth had their own people actually working on the unofficial patches but won't cop to it. That said, to be fair these sorts of bugs are going to happen in a game as complex as Skyrim. A game with so many different interactions simply cannot account for each and every one of them. I'm honestly amazed that they do as well as they do.

Aren't the unofficial mods only for PC, though?  It'd be nice if they did a sort of annual or bi-annual (every two years) compilation of the best or most critical mods. I know they come out with anniversary and special editions, but they don't seem to fix the bugs when they do.  Especially if what you say is true - that Beth has their own people working on the unofficial mods - it should be easy.  I DO understand not wanting to take credit/blame for the unofficial things, but we're not talking about rocket science here; reading at USEP (a great site for Skyrim information) some of the bugs are as simple as fixing one or two lines of code.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2585 on: February 28, 2023, 07:16:45 AM »

Aren't the unofficial mods only for PC, though?  It'd be nice if they did a sort of annual or bi-annual (every two years) compilation of the best or most critical mods. I know they come out with anniversary and special editions, but they don't seem to fix the bugs when they do.  Especially if what you say is true - that Beth has their own people working on the unofficial mods - it should be easy.  I DO understand not wanting to take credit/blame for the unofficial things, but we're not talking about rocket science here; reading at USEP (a great site for Skyrim information) some of the bugs are as simple as fixing one or two lines of code.

Yeah I don't think the reliance on the modding community is a good enough reason not to address the big bugs. They've been making console games since 2006.

Edit: And I don't mean to suggest/imply El Barto is trying to justifying Bethesda's lack of bug crushing.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2586 on: February 28, 2023, 09:24:04 AM »

There is a lot of mod support on Xbox. Sony has more limitations set to the app, but you can in fact use mods on PS4/5 as well.

Bethesda is perhaps the only dev that allowed a mod app on consoles for their games.

Edit: I just looked and there is an unofficial patch that fixes bugs by fans available on ps4.

Maybe this can fix your game?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 09:30:13 AM by ErHaO »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2587 on: February 28, 2023, 09:33:35 AM »

There is a lot of mod support on Xbox. Sony has more limitations set to the app, but you can in fact use mods on PS4/5 as well.

Bethesda is perhaps the only dev that allowed a mod app on consoles for their games.

Edit: I just looked and there is an unofficial patch that fixes bugs by fans available on ps4.

I have to look into that patch....  :)

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2588 on: February 28, 2023, 11:26:28 AM »

I have to look into that patch....  :)

Do keep in mind that this might be a mess as well, it is unofficial. Either way if you do check it out ensure you keep seperate saves from before the patch and check out if the patch is worth it.

I personally have no experience using the mods app of Bethesda on PS4.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2589 on: February 28, 2023, 02:34:23 PM »
Doesn't anyone here play Destiny 2?  Lightfall expansion launches today.  :hat
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White