Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5  (Read 167348 times)

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5
« Reply #2380 on: December 28, 2022, 04:26:25 PM »
I also posted this in the "things that pissed you off" thread. Just beat Lego LotR and wanted to 100% it. Loaded it up today to find this.

Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline billboy73

« Reply #2381 on: December 29, 2022, 07:59:32 AM »
Got a few new things for the Switch for Christmas.  My brother in law gave me Hades, which looks pretty cool.  I also got Sonic Frontiers, and I grabbed Lego Star Wars for my wife, but I will definitely put some time in that one as well. ;D

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2382 on: December 29, 2022, 01:36:38 PM »
Dusted off my second PC, built with old parts but has my el gato capture card in it.  Set it up to record gameplay from my Nintendo Switch and also record video/audio of my gf and I playing it.  Here's my first clip trying it out, https://twitter.com/Cramx3/status/1608561801909932033 The two of us have way too much fun playing this game, in fact, we are finally close to fully unlocking everything in it after looking into how to do it.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2383 on: December 29, 2022, 02:36:35 PM »
Part 1 of the long awaited big boy map in Escape from Tarkov was released yesterday.  :corn
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #2384 on: December 29, 2022, 03:12:35 PM »
I got a PS5 for Christmas, and I have been enjoying God of War Ragnarok. It's also nice going back to some of my PS4 games which ran okay on my PS4 Slim, but run really great on my PS5.

I also got Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, which is just about living up to the praise I've heard so much about.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2385 on: January 02, 2023, 03:44:13 PM »
I just ordered copies of Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2 for the 360, god help me. These games look really good on the Series X at 4k, even compared to current standards, it is actually kind of mindblowing how they look at times.

XIII always had something that appealed to me, but I never really dived in, as I found the whole linearity to be bothersome back when it launched. But now in a time where many games are large and quite open ended, this won't necessarily be a problem to me.

This year will be a Final Fantasy year for me in a way. Tickets to Distant Worlds, FFXVI is looking great and I am doing some of the pixel remasters (which will release on consoles as well).

Offline Skeever

« Reply #2386 on: January 02, 2023, 05:23:44 PM »
Over the Hollidays, one retailer in my country had some PS5's in stock so I pushed the button and ordered one!

I'm excited, last Playstation console I had was the PS2 Slim ages ago. :lol

Also included in the package is GOW: Ragnarok which looks awesome, and should keep me busy for a while.

My PS5 should arrive in about 3 weeks, can't wait!

Definitely play GOW: 2018 first if you haven't

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2387 on: January 02, 2023, 07:55:58 PM »
I just finished God of War and had a blast. I'm glad they ported it to the PC but I'm hoping it isn't as long of a wait for the sequel to hit there as well.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2388 on: January 03, 2023, 01:40:46 AM »
Over the Hollidays, one retailer in my country had some PS5's in stock so I pushed the button and ordered one!

I'm excited, last Playstation console I had was the PS2 Slim ages ago. :lol

Also included in the package is GOW: Ragnarok which looks awesome, and should keep me busy for a while.

My PS5 should arrive in about 3 weeks, can't wait!

Definitely play GOW: 2018 first if you haven't

I agree. And it can be bought for very cheap usually these days.

And it looks nearly identical to Ragnarok on PS5 to be honest (meaning it holds up and looks good).

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2389 on: January 03, 2023, 06:43:59 AM »
I tried for a 3rd time at length over my vacation to get my Ps4 to work an connect to Sony, and I'm still stuck in a seemingly unbreakable 2-step verification loop. I'm not stupid when it comes to technology, but I can't for the life of me figure it out. I called Sony twice and the two reps I got couldn't understand the problem I was having.

It's basically unusable at this point if I want to do anything other than play DVDs or Blu-rays in it. I'm actually concerned that if I were to pick up a PS5, the problem would continue to persist as the issue seems to be on Sony's services/technology end, and not the PS4 hardware. Playstation has been my go-to since I was 11 years old, but I'm considering X-box when I finally step into next gen.   

I really only want it for two games at this point as there's no way my PC will handle them - GTA-VI and Avatar-Frontiers of Pandora. I've been underwhelmed with the last few Gran Turismo releases, so I don't think I'll be missing much there. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 06:59:06 AM by Chino »

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2390 on: January 03, 2023, 08:30:20 AM »
I tried for a 3rd time at length over my vacation to get my Ps4 to work an connect to Sony, and I'm still stuck in a seemingly unbreakable 2-step verification loop. I'm not stupid when it comes to technology, but I can't for the life of me figure it out. I called Sony twice and the two reps I got couldn't understand the problem I was having.

It's basically unusable at this point if I want to do anything other than play DVDs or Blu-rays in it. I'm actually concerned that if I were to pick up a PS5, the problem would continue to persist as the issue seems to be on Sony's services/technology end, and not the PS4 hardware. Playstation has been my go-to since I was 11 years old, but I'm considering X-box when I finally step into next gen.   

I really only want it for two games at this point as there's no way my PC will handle them - GTA-VI and Avatar-Frontiers of Pandora. I've been underwhelmed with the last few Gran Turismo releases, so I don't think I'll be missing much there. Thoughts?

I own both the PS5 and Series X. This is my neutral perspective of their advantages (as someone "Sony" since early PS2 days):

Xbox:
-Gamepass Ultimate
-Quick resume (switch between games near instantly without rebooting them).
-Smart Delivery (buy Xbox One game, is also Series X version)
-A quite sizeable library of games (Xbox, 360, One) that got free upgrades due to microsofts Backwards Compatibility team.
-Physical games often cheaper

PS5:
-Sony exclusives
-Dualsense controller and it's triggers and feedback
-Better sales on PSN
-PSplus monthly games are generally a good offering for the money
-VR headset as an expansion to the system

Loading times and graphics in my experience aren't that different. Xbox has more power, PS5 a better SSD, but both perform similar in many regards.

My less neutral take: I think Xbox is going to win it for me by the end of this generation. Gamepass is an incredible service and the care MS took of their backlog is great. Sony has the better studios and main exclusives, but MS did buy the studios behind several of my favourite games (Skyrim, Doom, Prey/Dishonored, Fallout New Vegas, Wolfenstein New Order, Psychonauts etc.). I think the reality is that for this generation it will be more like the old days where on console you can't have a box that plays all the latest greatest games.

As for PC, over here a similarly performing device completely new still costs more than both combined (considering every aspect of the hardware included). But offcourse there are a lot of advantages to be had.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #2391 on: January 05, 2023, 08:49:23 AM »
I've been fortunate to not have any issues worth mentioning on either my PS5 or Series X. I think what it comes down to is how desirable you think the PlayStation exclusives are. As someone who primarily plays cinematic, story-driven games, the PS5 is easily my primary console. I've also gotten more and more into Soulsbornes over the past year, and several of them are PlayStation exclusives too. This is really a personal preference thing at the end of the day.

In terms of third-party stuff, I think Xbox wins quite comfortably due to Game Pass and smart delivery. Really the only advantage PlayStation has here is its controller, which is why I ended up playing Witcher 3 on my PS5 instead of my Series X. I also prefer the PS5 UI over the Series X UI.

In terms of who is going to win out by the end of the generation, I would love nothing more than for PlayStation and Xbox to go head-to-head and for both to knock it out of the park. Competition between those behemoths is necessary for this hobby I love so much. Xbox definitely has some catching up to do though.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2392 on: January 05, 2023, 09:08:53 AM »
In terms of who is going to win out by the end of the generation, I would love nothing more than for PlayStation and Xbox to go head-to-head and for both to knock it out of the park. Competition between those behemoths is necessary for this hobby I love so much. Xbox definitely has some catching up to do though.

Sony is fighting so hard to block the Microsoft Activision deal that it makes me wonder if the deal goes through, if Microsoft will come out the winner in the long term.  Who knows.  I don't have a dog in the fight.  I enjoy my switch for my console experience and have no desire to own a PS or Xbox again. 

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2393 on: January 05, 2023, 09:47:20 AM »
In my opinion, Sony is the superior product regardless of the different services provided.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2394 on: January 05, 2023, 10:10:25 AM »
I had both a PS3 and a xBox360, and now I have a PS4 and a (new, used, haven't played it yet xBox One) and I am pretty strongly in the Sony camp.  I just played through Prey (and am about 80% through Mooncrash) and it's about as enjoyable an experience as I've ever had in gaming, overall.   I can't say I've experienced that with Microsoft; the closest was "Blood Dragon". 

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2395 on: January 05, 2023, 11:29:07 AM »
I had both a PS3 and a xBox360, and now I have a PS4 and a (new, used, haven't played it yet xBox One) and I am pretty strongly in the Sony camp.  I just played through Prey (and am about 80% through Mooncrash) and it's about as enjoyable an experience as I've ever had in gaming, overall.   I can't say I've experienced that with Microsoft; the closest was "Blood Dragon".

Actually one of the arguments for myself for keeping the Xbox. The devs behind Prey are Xbox studios now.

Arkane is not quite Naughty Dog/Insomniac/Kojima level to me, but they are prolific enough for me to care. Same goes for Obsidian, Id software, Bethesda, and Double Fine.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2396 on: January 05, 2023, 02:31:13 PM »

Sony is fighting so hard to block the Microsoft Activision deal that it makes me wonder if the deal goes through, if Microsoft will come out the winner in the long term.  Who knows.  I don't have a dog in the fight.  I enjoy my switch for my console experience and have no desire to own a PS or Xbox again. 

I really don't know if MS has that much catching up to do honestly. Gamepass is far superior to what Sony is offering in the same space and while Sony has it's exclusives with all the recent acquisitions MS is catching up quick. I'm a PC gamer so $10 for gamepass is an incredible steal.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #2397 on: January 06, 2023, 01:16:11 AM »
Console wars between XB and Playstation are so dumb imo!

For me the choice to go with PlayStation for this generation came down to what was available near me. Following Christmas sales the Series X was completely sold out in Finland, and it's anybody's guess when they are available to order again. PS5 was also sold out, but I managed to buy one from a new stock that is arriving later this month.

I was pretty much set on going with Series X, since my Xbox experience has been good for years now. But I'm still very happy with my purchase! I'm excited to dive into the Sony exclusives, since I haven't been able to do that before.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2398 on: January 06, 2023, 09:27:24 AM »
Console wars between XB and Playstation are so dumb imo!

For me the choice to go with PlayStation for this generation came down to what was available near me. Following Christmas sales the Series X was completely sold out in Finland, and it's anybody's guess when they are available to order again. PS5 was also sold out, but I managed to buy one from a new stock that is arriving later this month.

I was pretty much set on going with Series X, since my Xbox experience has been good for years now. But I'm still very happy with my purchase! I'm excited to dive into the Sony exclusives, since I haven't been able to do that before.

I agree.

Both are really great devices for their pricepoint (much moreso than the previous gen was, on pretty much all fronts) and offer enough content for anyone.

I am not a brand guy, I am a fan of developers/creators. In terms of hardware, same applies for phones, televisions, audio equipment etc. I just buy whatever is received well and suits my needs/budget.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2399 on: January 06, 2023, 09:38:43 AM »
I don't care about the console wars from a fan boy perspective.  I think that's silly for people to defend their console of choice. But the actual business of these two companies competing is pretty important IMO.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2400 on: January 06, 2023, 05:51:08 PM »
Gamepass offerings mean very little to me. I get a very limited time to play games and have such a huge backlog already that getting access to even more each month just sounds like stress to me.

When it comes to consoles, as a PC gamer first it comes down to which consoles have the better exclusives, and Sony has won that competition handily for the last 2 generations.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2401 on: January 06, 2023, 08:25:30 PM »
Anybody hear any news about when a PS5 Slim might be coming out?

I am now starting to see regular PS5's available, but at this point I wouldn't mind just waiting for a slim if its not that far off.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #2402 on: January 07, 2023, 12:44:29 AM »

I am now starting to see regular PS5's available, but at this point I wouldn't mind just waiting for a slim if its not that far off.
There's been rumors of a modular PS5 replacing the current disk and diskless versions.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2403 on: January 07, 2023, 06:20:10 AM »
When it comes to consoles, as a PC gamer first it comes down to which consoles have the better exclusives, and Sony has won that competition handily for the last 2 generations.

I do agree with the better exclusives but fortunately it seems that Sony is started to put out ps games on PC.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2404 on: January 07, 2023, 06:30:46 AM »
Gamepass offerings mean very little to me. I get a very limited time to play games and have such a huge backlog already that getting access to even more each month just sounds like stress to me.

I get that.

For me gamepass and quick resume have significantly changed my gaming habits. I can do a single race in Forza and continue shooting away in the Gears campaign within 10 seconds and switch back when I feel like it, no booting of games. I play more variety in my gaming sessions.

I hope quick resume will be a thing on all platforms in the near future.

And something any platform does well enough these days is remote play, meaning you can stream any of your games to your laptop/phone/tablet. When on the same network, the quality is good.

The barrier to start/continue a game has never been so low. When in bed instead of a book I can do a smaller session on my phone, for example (though not recommended for sleep during a work week  :lol). For my work I am sometimes away in hotels, and via Xcloud I can stream games using my saves at solid enough quality on my laptop as well.

I guess it also depends on your taste. There are a lot of excellent indies that don't take long and I tend to mostly play singleplayer experiences, which means I go through games at a relatively fast pace (unlike friends that for example play the latest CoD for many sessions).

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2405 on: January 08, 2023, 02:51:29 PM »

I'm not sure what you mean here. Both of those games were released on Microsoft & Sony consoles as well as PC.

I've heard nothing but great things about Blood Dragon over the years and even though I'm a Far Cry fan, I haven't played it. I might replay Far Cry 2, 3, & 4 after I finish the 6th one. I should probably buy Blood Dragon.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2406 on: January 10, 2023, 08:43:33 AM »
So I was looking at options for HDR gaming monitors as I need a monitor for work but also want it to function for content consumption and either my PS5 or Series X (depening  on my future room setup). It seems like there are basically no good HDR options under a thousand dollars? Damn monitors are expensive. I don't really care about resolution (or 240 hz) but I do care about HDR, as for me that was the biggest difference visually speaking. The older model of the samsung g7 and the new Sony m9 are not really there (and that one is already a 1000 euros here).

I think I am going to wait and maybe buy a super cheap ips and plug my Switch to it or something. Perhaps the neo series of Samsung will be more affordable in the future. I love my Oled tv, but I do not want the tech for something I will use for bright and static elements on screen.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2407 on: January 10, 2023, 09:55:52 AM »

There's been rumors of a modular PS5 replacing the current disk and diskless versions.

Not familiar with the term Modular in relation to consoles.  What does that mean as opposed to disk and digital versions?
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2408 on: January 10, 2023, 10:30:44 AM »
It will have an expansion bay that allows you to buy/install storage/drives after initial purchase, rather than discrete SKUs which force you to choose at puchase.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2409 on: January 10, 2023, 11:18:55 AM »
It will have an expansion bay that allows you to buy/install storage/drives after initial purchase, rather than discrete SKUs which force you to choose at puchase.

The PS5 already allows third party drives right? Perhaps they expand upon that further then? Disc drive? I am not sure what else one could add to the PS5.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2410 on: January 10, 2023, 11:22:05 AM »
Maybe something to increase the memory of the console like we've seen before?  :biggrin:

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2411 on: January 10, 2023, 11:23:44 AM »

I'm not sure what you mean here. Both of those games were released on Microsoft & Sony consoles as well as PC.

I've heard nothing but great things about Blood Dragon over the years and even though I'm a Far Cry fan, I haven't played it. I might replay Far Cry 2, 3, & 4 after I finish the 6th one. I should probably buy Blood Dragon.

I meant immersive experiences.  There are a couple on PS, and I fully understand that may be simply because that's where I played the game (Bioshock, Prey, Resident Evil).   I can't say I've played a game on Microsoft that has been that immersive; I played Far Cry through number 3 there, and it was okay.  The only game I sort of "lost myself" in was Blood Dragon.    I may go back and revisit Far Cry 3; I have a ton of achievements I didn't get the first time.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2412 on: January 10, 2023, 12:21:28 PM »

The PS5 already allows third party drives right? Perhaps they expand upon that further then? Disc drive? I am not sure what else one could add to the PS5.

I have a Seagate external HD connected to my PS5 (originally PS4 storage).  Bought an external SSD some time ago for PS5 but was unsuccessful getting it to work.  Not sure how an SSD or disc expansion would work, if at all.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2413 on: January 10, 2023, 12:39:53 PM »
It's actually super easy. https://youtu.be/AXVdPGY9Oz4
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2414 on: January 10, 2023, 08:49:33 PM »

I meant immersive experiences.  There are a couple on PS, and I fully understand that may be simply because that's where I played the game (Bioshock, Prey, Resident Evil).   I can't say I've played a game on Microsoft that has been that immersive; I played Far Cry through number 3 there, and it was okay.  The only game I sort of "lost myself" in was Blood Dragon.    I may go back and revisit Far Cry 3; I have a ton of achievements I didn't get the first time.

I haven't played it since it came out. I downloaded it a couple days ago and I was surprised at how it still looked and played very nicely. Gotdamn I was 31 when that game came out :(
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!