Obscured by Clouds
The Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here
Animals
The Wall
The Final Cut
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
The Division Bell

Author Topic: The Pink Floyd Thread  (Read 169412 times)

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
Re: The Pink Floyd Thread
« Reply #630 on: August 20, 2012, 06:44:56 AM »
More has "Cymbaline", which I love, but that's pretty much it. I like the opening title track of Obscured By Clouds, but not the rest. They are soundtrack albums, but I consider them part of the studio album canon all the same, but bad ones at that.

I'm listening to The Division Bell this morning, I still think "Take It Back", "Coming Back To Life" and "Lost For Words" are throwaway songs, but I'm finding myself liking the others more than I used to.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #631 on: September 19, 2012, 08:33:13 AM »
Okay, so thought I would bump this.
For the longest time I've been meaning to check out Pink Floyd, but really haven't. I've heard songs by them, and my dad played one of their collections in the car once, and it sounded pretty cool. But yesterday I accidentally stumbled upon the Wish You Were Here-documentary (about making the album) which was on TV. I was just flipping channels and got into the program just when it started, so I watched it all. It kinda inspired me to check out their stuff.

So I listened to Wish You Were Here earlier, and it sounded really good. Can't wait to give it more spins.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #632 on: September 19, 2012, 08:40:21 AM »
Check out Animals next, that's a really great album as well. The other classics are DSOTM and The Wall, but both WYWH and Animals are a little better, in my opinion.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #633 on: September 19, 2012, 08:46:19 AM »
Yeah, Animals, DSotM and The Wall are next on my list.
Interesting enough, I have both The Wall and DsotM on Vinyl, I got both from my dad who bought them when they came out, but they are still in excellent condition. He also gave me The Final Cut on Vinyl, but from what I've heard that one is not held in the same regard as the other 4 "classic" albums. I'll probably check it out eventually when I'm done with the bigger albums though.

:hat

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #634 on: September 19, 2012, 09:15:28 AM »
I don't have the Final Cut, but The Division Bell is pretty awesome, which some people say are very similar to each other, I think?
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #635 on: September 19, 2012, 10:15:37 AM »
I don't have the Final Cut, but The Division Bell is pretty awesome, which some people say are very similar to each other, I think?
I don't know these two albums very well, but I can tell you that these two are very different IMO. TFC is more similar to The Wall.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #636 on: September 19, 2012, 10:56:19 AM »

They are not, trust me! I never got into TFC, too Watery for my tastes (I don't like The Wall that much either)...
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #637 on: September 19, 2012, 11:08:19 AM »
o/
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #638 on: September 19, 2012, 11:28:03 AM »
o/

\o

My favourite floyd albums are in order WYWH, DSOTM, A, TDB. I never quite understood why the last one is almost constantly dissed by a relevant part of the fandom.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #639 on: September 19, 2012, 11:52:27 AM »
Cuz it's got no Waters involvement which means, while still sounding like Floyd, it's missing the theatrics his writing usually brought to the table and has more emphasis on guitar-driven bluesy moodiness. I like it but you could very easily divide the Floyd fanbase into:

1. Fans who side with Gilmour

2. Fans who side with Waters

3. Fans who side with neither

I just think the Waters folks didn't have a whole lot of enjoyable familiarity with its style and I have no problem with them feeling that way cuz I still like it.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #640 on: September 19, 2012, 12:01:22 PM »
Um... I'd much rather listen to TFC than TDB any day of the week that ends with Y.

Your mileage may vary.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #641 on: September 19, 2012, 12:02:33 PM »
TFC is one of the most boring albums I've ever come across IMHO, and I'd listen to TDB any day.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #642 on: September 19, 2012, 12:04:40 PM »
See... it's the other way around in my case. :lol

Offline Ħ

« Reply #643 on: September 19, 2012, 12:05:29 PM »
TFC is awesome, guys.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #644 on: September 19, 2012, 12:06:49 PM »
But if what if you like em both?  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #645 on: September 19, 2012, 12:08:57 PM »
Then just say BOTH! and be done with it. :biggrin:

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #646 on: September 19, 2012, 12:15:22 PM »
Um... I'd much rather listen to TFC than TDB any day of the week that ends with Y.

Your mileage may vary.
This.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #647 on: September 19, 2012, 12:17:47 PM »
 :tup

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #648 on: September 19, 2012, 02:48:33 PM »
I'm a bit interested in the feud between Waters and Gilmour. What exactly happened? From what I understand there has been several times when they didn't agree on certain things, like Gilmour wanting to have a few songs on WYWH (that didn't make it to the album), or agreeing about different things. Anything in particular that caused Waters to eventually leave the band, or was it just minor things along the way?

Also, from what I understand, Waters has been pretty rough on the PF albums after him leaving. I think I saw the quote: "it sounds like a band covering PF" or something. (I'm not 100% sure) And from the little I've gathered, Waters doesn't seem to give Gilmour much credit, but Gilmour on the other hand has said different quotes about how good/important Waters was for the band.

I'm a total newbie on the subject, so I might be wrong. But someone please enlighten me on why there was such a big feud.  :P

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #649 on: September 19, 2012, 07:30:29 PM »
I'm curious now too, as PF's wiki entry really doesn't clearly define why the split happened other than Wright had left, Mason was going through a divorce, and Waters and Gilmour were fighting about lyrical contributions/etc. regarding TFC.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #650 on: September 20, 2012, 09:27:42 AM »
Short version:

-In the late 70s, the contributions and musical input from Nick Mason and Richard Wright were practically nil (in the case of Wright, because he was doing tons of coke), and while Gilmour still wrote a lot of stuff, Waters pretty much grabbed control of the band.

-When recording The Wall, Waters forced Wright out of the band, telling him he'd scrap the album if he didn't agree to leave.  Wright desperately needed money, so he agreed, and unbeknownst to anyone, when they toured on The Wall, Wright was no longer an official member of the band and was paid the same as an extra would be (which was ironic then, as he made money on the tour, while the remaining Floyds lost money on it cause of the massive expense of the show).

-Waters then insisted on recording The Final Cut using mostly material that was deemed not good enough for The Wall.  Gilmour strongly objected to this, but Waters did it anyway, and Gilmour's input on that record was practically nothing.

-Thinking the band would never go on without him, Waters left the band in 1985, but got a rude awakening when the band did decide a year or so later to go on without him.  He tried to legally stop them, but since he had left the band on his own accord, instead of staying and letting it die a slow death, he couldn't stop them.

-His resentment and pettiness is the main reason why he has been so critical of the two albums they did since his departure.  It was also extremely galling to him that when he toured at the same time as Floyd did in 1987 and 1988, Floyd made a killing and drew huge everywhere, while Waters struggled badly.  That only made his resentment that much stronger.

And actually, Waters did always acknowledge that Gilmour was a musician of note and was always integral to the Floyd sound, but insisted that the other two did nothing in his later years in the band. 

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #651 on: September 20, 2012, 10:14:20 AM »
Oh, thanks for the sum-up. I think there's a line between being a genius but also being able to take input from others and sometimes remember that you don't always know what's best yourself.

On another note, I bought Wish You Were Here on CD today. Good stuff.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #652 on: September 20, 2012, 10:53:37 AM »
I’ve also seen this argument:

Mason/Wright: Our ideas were not welcome…
Waters: I was begging the other guys for ideas, they never had any…

-Waters then insisted on recording The Final Cut using mostly material that was deemed not good enough for The Wall.  Gilmour strongly objected to this, but Waters did it anyway, and Gilmour's input on that record was practically nothing.

Also regarding this, I assume the band’s management and label had to have some say in this. It can’t just come down to one band member wanting one thing, and another wanting something else. Of course in situations like this, the more forceful personality in the group often wins. But I am wondering how accurate it is to say ‘Waters did in anyway…’
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #653 on: September 20, 2012, 12:33:15 PM »
Waters never spoke too highly of Gilmour, IIRC. A lot of it was "Yeah, he's a good player, but I bring out his best side because I'm so awesome at songwriting that it spurs him on." or something to that effect.

Honestly, I don't care for either musician's solo output very much (Amused to Death is alright, I suppose). I'd say it was the combination of all of them that ultimately produced something special.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #654 on: September 20, 2012, 12:38:30 PM »
Oh, I totally agree there.  As much as The Wall was Waters' brainchild, without Gilmour it wouldn't have been nearly as good.  Gilmour was the one who insisted on the inclusion of Comfortably Numb, and also had a larger hand in writing the rest of the album that he was given credit for.  The Final Cut is basically taking the least best parts of The Wall and having no input from Gilmour.  The difference is more than obvious to most.

I love Amused to Death and On an Island, but both could have been better had they been full-blown Floyd projects.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #655 on: September 20, 2012, 01:19:58 PM »
Wow, Kev - great paring down of a much larger TL;DR version of all of that, I'm quite sure.  Never knew some of it either.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #656 on: October 04, 2012, 05:25:31 PM »
So, onto more cheery subjects...looking at the poll results, I guess I should get Animals next, no?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #657 on: October 04, 2012, 05:27:00 PM »
YES.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #658 on: October 04, 2012, 05:27:37 PM »
Okay.  *puts on list*

Now that I actually have more than 3 Floyd studio albums, I'm starting to reevaluate my top 3 picks.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #659 on: October 04, 2012, 05:30:31 PM »
I'm lazy and dun wanna read the whole thread - what were your choices?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #660 on: October 04, 2012, 05:33:21 PM »
At the time, the only 3 I had:
-Dark Side Of The Moon
-Momentary Lapse of Reason
-The Division Bell

Just picked up Wish You Were Here recently.  Honestly, I love all four about equally.

(I also have Delicate Sound Of Thunder and Pulse)

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #661 on: October 04, 2012, 05:35:55 PM »
Ah, okay.

I just saw that there was a poll :loser:  so mine are:  DSoTM, WYWH and Animals.  Nothing against any of the others (well, maybe TDB :xbones ) but the three I chose have had the most staying power with me throughout the time I've been listening to them.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #662 on: October 04, 2012, 05:42:59 PM »
I got into Floyd really late, actually.  Growing up in the '70s and '80s, I just never really liked their sound for some reason.  Then I saw a Floyd cover band in '91, and something just clicked.  I picked up Dark Side Of The Moon and Momentary Lapse Of Reason soon after, and liked them both.  Picked up The Division Bell when it came out, and got the two live albums during that same basic timeframe.  I've listened to those albums a pretty good amount over the years, but never really felt a burning desire to go back and fill in the collection. 

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #663 on: October 04, 2012, 05:51:58 PM »
Highway got shut down due to Obama's appearance at a nearby lake, listened to all of Animals while sitting in stopped traffic. Best way to be late!  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #664 on: October 04, 2012, 06:35:02 PM »
I got into Floyd really late, actually.  Growing up in the '70s and '80s, I just never really liked their sound for some reason.  Then I saw a Floyd cover band in '91, and something just clicked.  I picked up Dark Side Of The Moon and Momentary Lapse Of Reason soon after, and liked them both.  Picked up The Division Bell when it came out, and got the two live albums during that same basic timeframe.  I've listened to those albums a pretty good amount over the years, but never really felt a burning desire to go back and fill in the collection.

Ah, okay, that explains it a bit more.

I didn't really get into them like I am now until a bit after The Wall came out (early to mid 1980?).  For some really dumb reason, I didn't like it until about a month had passed and then it just clicked.  My brother ended up getting DSoTM and Animals at around the same time in about 1981 or 1982 and both clicked in a major way with me.  The very first CD he ever got was The Final Cut in late May of 1985 (along with the over $200 portable CD player he DEMANDED as part of his graduation gifts... and then the player dropped in price about a week later - our mother was PISSED about that :lol ).  I also had a chance to see them in Houston in 1987 with him during the Momentary Lapse tour and stupidly passed on it... :facepalm:

Wow, I just went down Memory Lane hardcore there. :lol