Author Topic: 2020 NFL Thread v. Tom Brady aging better than Mila Kunis  (Read 118413 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: 2020 NFL Thread v. Chiefs give future GOAT big bucks
« Reply #700 on: September 24, 2020, 10:51:22 AM »
Or Brady finally has lost his fastball at age 43. Put 31 year old Brady on another team and it would be different.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #701 on: September 24, 2020, 12:31:11 PM »
Or Brady finally has lost his fastball at age 43. Put 31 year old Brady on another team and it would be different.
Probably
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #702 on: September 24, 2020, 12:54:16 PM »
I'd think it's a strong educated guess.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #703 on: September 24, 2020, 01:16:57 PM »
I think it's apples and oranges.   I think Belichick has the advantage in the short term.  I've seen too many games where a guy was out or something similar, and he used duct tape and bailing wire to make it happen.  Heck, they went, what, 3-1 with the third string guy two years ago?   I think Cam getting stuck on the 1 yard line is evidence of more than just one play; I think it's evidence of the real patchwork nature of the offense at this point; McDaniel couldn't go for something too much more complex at that point. 

The one thing about Cam that has surprised me is how much they've used him going downfield; even with that, though, they're not really asking him to throw the really intricate timing patterns that result in risky throws (and the one time they did, he got in trouble throwing behind the receiver).   

I have no doubt that Tom wants to win every game, but for him to do his magic, he does have to be comfortable in the offense and he's not there yet.  He's not going to pull games out of his ass single-handedly anymore (not that he ever really did) and certainly not until it's "his" offense.  The only trick is, can he wait for that to come about? 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #704 on: September 24, 2020, 02:19:56 PM »
TB12 is reliant on a good rapport with his receivers, and it's not a given that he'll ever gel with any given WR. Plenty of decent receivers have come through NE and Tom's simply failed to connect with them. That might be the case down in Tampa, too. On the other hand, other QBs in NE have been willing to throw to anybody, for better of for worse. My hope going into this was that either Cam or Stidham would play a little less refined, and thus be willing to throw to the guys Brady wouldn't, and that's what we're seeing. Brady's rigidity is great when he's got his players. It's a failing when he doesn't, and I think that's what we're seeing now. Brady is 10x the QB that Newton is, and when the playoffs come around the situation might well be different, but right now NE is better off with Cam. He's better suited to playing a wide open gameplan.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline pg1067

« Reply #705 on: September 27, 2020, 01:07:18 PM »
WTF with that call in the Rams @ Bills game??!!  Buffalo player makes a catch, Rams defender grabs the ball, they both go to the ground, and it's the RAMS ball????
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #706 on: September 27, 2020, 02:05:35 PM »
WTF with that call in the Rams @ Bills game??!!  Buffalo player makes a catch, Rams defender grabs the ball, they both go to the ground, and it's the RAMS ball????

And the refs give Buffalo a payback, gift pass interference call that led to the Bills winning.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #707 on: September 27, 2020, 02:32:44 PM »
Dammit. I was thrilled that the Bills would lose.

Oops.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #708 on: September 27, 2020, 02:40:17 PM »
Dan Quinn needs to get fired after that. Two weeks in a row you choke away a sure win.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #709 on: September 27, 2020, 03:36:59 PM »
The NFL hates this, but good defense can be boring.    That Bengals Eagles overtime was about as exciting as a Pop Warner game that your kid ISN'T playing in, yet it was pretty well played (up to the false start penalty at the very end). 

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #710 on: September 27, 2020, 05:31:46 PM »
The Jets looked like a professional football team for one quarter.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #711 on: September 27, 2020, 05:37:00 PM »

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #712 on: September 27, 2020, 07:11:16 PM »

Life is rough right now as a Jets fan. I know that’s usually how it is, but this is worse than it’s been in a very long time, since Rich Kotite. The Jets are the worst team in football, and it’s not even close.

-MirrorMask

Offline T-ski

« Reply #713 on: September 27, 2020, 09:13:11 PM »
The last play of the Chargers/Panthers game was almost incredible.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #714 on: September 27, 2020, 09:34:10 PM »
The NFL hates this, but good defense can be boring.    That Bengals Eagles overtime was about as exciting as a Pop Warner game that your kid ISN'T playing in, yet it was pretty well played (up to the false start penalty at the very end).

Amazing fact about that game, football writer Mike Tanier predicted a 22-22 tie. It ended up 23-23.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #715 on: September 27, 2020, 11:57:29 PM »
The last play of the Chargers/Panthers game was almost incredible.

Yea, just ran out of time.  Panthers D blocked a big TD catch.  But rookie Herbert was lookin like a vet there!

I was almost 0-4.  Thankfully Wilson pulled it out at the end.  Another butt clenching win for the Seahawks.

"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #716 on: September 28, 2020, 07:12:13 AM »
That New Orleands/Green Bay was really a test of (my) will.    I picked Green Bay, so that's where my head was, but I kept looking at the picks to see if it would hurt me too badly if NO actually won.  Brees looked good (for the part I saw) and it came down AGAIN! to penalties.   I have  a feeling (maybe it's a wish) that NO might be able to right this ship as we go.

In the meantime, that GB offense looks strong.   I'm of the opposite feeling though:  right now it's a huge lovefest, what with Aaron Rodgers doing little heart things from the field to Matt LeFleur (he didn't, but he might as well have) but I want to see what happens when it doesn't work, and Aaron's inner "little boy" takes over. 

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #717 on: September 28, 2020, 12:32:50 PM »
Brees cannot throw the ball downfield at all. Eventually teams will just stack the box to stop Kamara and the short passes.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #718 on: September 28, 2020, 05:35:30 PM »
Very excited for tonight’s game. If their success continues, Mahomes/Jackson has the potential to be the next Brady/Manning, and Chiefs/Ravens could be the most intense non-divisional rivalry in all of American sports.

-MirrorMask

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #719 on: September 28, 2020, 07:09:47 PM »
Very excited for tonight’s game. If their success continues, Mahomes/Jackson has the potential to be the next Brady/Manning, and Chiefs/Ravens could be the most intense non-divisional rivalry in all of American sports.

But I have to watch with the sound down.  The announcers are ridiculous in their praise.   To hear them talk, there's no one else on the field.  Just now, after the punt, going into the break, this was the caption on the bottom of the screen:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #720 on: September 28, 2020, 07:20:04 PM »
I'm more impressed with the dude holding the two Gatorade bottles.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #721 on: September 28, 2020, 07:30:38 PM »
Watching the game. Mahomes is just a sick sick talent.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #722 on: September 28, 2020, 09:05:11 PM »
There are some really nervous former Dolphins right now.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #723 on: September 28, 2020, 09:10:16 PM »

Glad somebody else is watching the biggest game of the year to date.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #724 on: September 29, 2020, 01:53:02 AM »

At least Shula got to go out with that legacy still intact.

-MirrorMask

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #725 on: September 29, 2020, 05:18:15 AM »
Not looking forward to next weeks game against a juggernaut.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #726 on: September 29, 2020, 08:40:03 AM »
Ravens had the #1 scoring D going into the game and Mahomes was just toying with them. It was amazing to watch. Their kicker left 4 pts off the board, their backup RB fumbled deep in Bal territory and 7 of Bal’s points was off a kickoff return. 45-13 is a much more accurate score to describe what actually took place. 513 yards to 229. Mahomes was otherworldly on 3rd down and against the blitz. If you’re a fan of great QB play last night was a feast.

Offline T-ski

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #729 on: September 29, 2020, 12:43:14 PM »
Uh oh....

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/09/29/titans-vikings-suspend-in-person-activities-over-titans-positive-covid-19-tests/

The two teams and the league are taking the right precautions. It was bound to happen, but the swift response from all involved parties is promising to see. IMO, the next step should be to bar all fans from all stadiums (with full refunds of course). This will protect players, coaches, and fans alike from the one variable that teams and the league can't control: where fans go before and after game time.

-MirrorMask

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #730 on: September 29, 2020, 05:08:00 PM »
There's a possibility those two games involving the Titans and Vikings might get switched to Monday night.

KC-Balto:  the Ravens are who I thought they were.  Not having a pass rush, mostly experienced LBs, and Thomas and Young in the secondary really showed.  Add to that Marshall Yonda's retirement, and the OL overall is not as good as last year.  Add onto that, for some reason our OC, who I might question once or twice a game, has totally thrown out the game plan when trailing during their last two losses.  The Ravens can score in under three minutes by throwing AND running.....they did so numerous times last year in their hurry up offense.  That OL cannot pass protect effectively without having the run option.  Dropping five passes against a team like the Chiefs isn't the same as against the Browns.

Damn.....Reid and Bienemy design some crazy deceptive plays (nothing new there).  And..........Mahomes is Mahomes.  That falling backwards long TD pass was yet another WTW moment.

Finally, a shoutout to fellow Central Michigan alumnus Eric Fisher.  Over the past eighteen regular season games, the former first overall draft pick OT now has one more TD reception than fellow Chippewa Antonio Brown :D
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 08:21:16 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #731 on: October 01, 2020, 08:50:45 AM »
Wow. Looking forward to a real thriller tonight.

And the league wonders why nobody watches TNF.
E.F. Benson

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #732 on: October 01, 2020, 09:23:56 AM »

I almost have a fascination with how bad it COULD be.  Kind of like watching repeats of Who's The Boss and reveling in the realization that this is being broadcast on national television.   Or watching the Presidential debates.  :) :)

Offline T-ski

« Reply #733 on: October 01, 2020, 09:36:37 AM »

I almost have a fascination with how bad it COULD be.  Kind of like watching repeats of Who's The Boss and reveling in the realization that this is being broadcast on national television.   Or watching the Presidential debates.  :) :)

Teenage T-ski watched Who’s The Boss for one reason and one reason only.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #734 on: October 01, 2020, 09:57:53 AM »

Teenage T-ski watched Who’s The Boss for one reason and one reason only.

PLEASE don't say Katherine Helmond.  PLEASE.