Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 439666 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #6440 on: December 16, 2020, 11:07:11 AM »

I really understand what you mean here. And I get it. But then that is not my fault at all. What it does, is it shows how people can't be bothered to look up the information for themselves, especially when it's way easier to have access to that information, and take the time to research. They actually don't want to take the time and will believe what I say without actually looking it up. I find that even more perplexing. And that is what Social Media projects a lot of. People blindly accepting anothers opinion as fact.

Ironic x 2.  After reading the article you cited myself, I see no reason why it's something any casual individual needs ring an alarm bell over.  Unless this was test to the DTF population as to whether it would buy in to your BS statement, I see no reason why you (assuming you read the article) actually felt the need to 'promote' the idea.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #6441 on: December 16, 2020, 11:27:51 AM »
Experiencing a really weird feeling today....best way to describe it is it feels like gravity has increased by two or three times on my body. Feels like I'm being pulled down when I move. It's weird. No issues breathing, little stuffy....but definitely feeling more tired than I have during all this.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #6442 on: December 16, 2020, 12:31:45 PM »
No issues breathing, little stuffy....but definitely feeling more tired than I have during all this.

This is a fairly common symptom, from what I've understood. Let's just hope you won't be among the unlucky ones who will suffer from post-infection symptoms for months.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #6443 on: December 16, 2020, 01:09:13 PM »
Experiencing a really weird feeling today....best way to describe it is it feels like gravity has increased by two or three times on my body. Feels like I'm being pulled down when I move. It's weird. No issues breathing, little stuffy....but definitely feeling more tired than I have during all this.

If you can, get plenty of rest. No need to exhaust yourself more if you don't need to. And don't forget the hydration. Humidifiers and Purifiers can help clean the air a bit.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6444 on: December 16, 2020, 01:17:38 PM »
I wish you all a speedy and uneventful recovery!

And in regards to the whole vaccine debate a while back, I will ask a general question: What do you think poses more of a potential long term health risk? A) A randomly mutated virus that has killed well over a million, has been shown to cause damage all over the body even in asymptomatic cases, and has many people (more than death counts) follow months long recovery trajectories. Or B) a vaccine that has followed all the required safety protocols and testing procedures (safety protocols based on decades of research)? I would also like to add that "naturally" obtained immunity is often less effective/more shortlived than a vaccine due to a variety of reasons.

These Vaccines, don't have the Decades of research. They were just made, in labs, to fight this new strain. They are saying to watch for Cerebral Palsy. They say watch for it, but shouldn't there be more research to be for sure that Cerebral Palsy isn't or is a concern, instead of saying...Oh just watch out for it.

Also, the recovery might be long, but they still recover. We don't even know for sure what long term effects the Pfizer and other Newly created vaccines can have, as there are no tests done, it's why some are saying "They're testing it on us". It's too much of a rush.

And in regards to the whole vaccine debate a while back, I will ask a general question: What do you think poses more of a potential long term health risk? A) A randomly mutated virus that has killed well over a million, has been shown to cause damage all over the body even in asymptomatic cases, and has many people (more than death counts) follow months long recovery trajectories. Or B) a vaccine that has followed all the required safety protocols and testing procedures (safety protocols based on decades of research)? I would also like to add that "naturally" obtained immunity is often less effective/more shortlived than a vaccine due to a variety of reasons.

There's a book I've cited more times than I can count:  "How Risky Is It, Really?", by Dave Ropeik.  In the prologue, he gives a stark example: a woman, we'll call her Susan, arguing passionately to a school board that her daughter's school HAD to be shut down, even though it meant bussing kids to other schools and costing tens of thousands of dollars, all in response to a detection of TCE (a known carcinogen) in the air in the library, at levels WELL below safety standards.   In short, it wasn't a danger.   The author then related this:  "Susan stood there in front of the TV cameras and reporters, flushed with passion, with [daughter] Stephie at her side.  And as she talked about her fear of those trace amounts of TCE, she anxiously puffed away on her tenth cigarette of the night.  And mother and daughter were also taking another big risk:  both were significantly overweight."

Names have been changed to protect the guilty, but this is a true story, according to the author.  We - humans - are NOT GOOD at judging risk magnitude when 'proximity' is also a factor.  It's called risk perception.

Yup, and as a parent, I could just not send my child to school if I thought it was a risk. and if more people decided to do that due to the concern, then the school has no choice but to shut down the school. Did that lady have anyone else support her, or was she the only one that the cameras decided to talk too, and not the other parents?

Anyways, Risk Perception, plays in part with Personal Choice.

Risk perception refers to how a person perceives the risk associated with a specific activity or event. Just about every activity, from grocery shopping to skydiving, has some type of risk associated with it. Most people weigh the potential for danger against the benefits of the activity and decide whether to go through with it. Risk perception is highly subjective, with each person making their own decision about the potential danger involved in various activities.

https://www.wise-geek.com/what-is-risk-perception.htm

That wasn't what I said. I said safety protocols based on decades of research/experience, designed to minimise risk prior to bringing a pharmaceutical product to the market.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6445 on: December 16, 2020, 01:56:05 PM »

These Vaccines, don't have the Decades of research. They were just made, in labs, to fight this new strain. They are saying to watch for Cerebral Palsy. They say watch for it, but shouldn't there be more research to be for sure that Cerebral Palsy isn't or is a concern, instead of saying...Oh just watch out for it.

Who is "they"?

Here, I'll look it up for you...

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/11/cdc-monitors-for-bells-palsy-among-pfizer-vaccine-recipients-sees-no-causal-relationship.html
U.S. officials plan to continue watching for any adverse reactions to Pfizer’s vaccine in the health-care workers and nursing home residents who receive it, Dr. Nancy Messonnier, director of the CDC’s National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Disease, said during a meeting of the Food and Drug Administration Thursday.

Small point:  Bell's Palsy and Cerebral Palsy are not the same thing.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6446 on: December 16, 2020, 01:59:42 PM »

I am just showing reasons, for why people would not want to get a vaccine, and why it's a very personal choice that no one should mandate for anyone.

It is in fact THE VERY OPPOSITE of personal choice.

Can you explain why?

Vaccines work as long the highest possible of number people get them.  That's the whole point behind a vaccination campaign.   You don't take it just for yourself, much like wearing a mask you do it to protect others from being infected by you.

It's still a personal choice whether one wants to participate in the campaign. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6447 on: December 16, 2020, 02:01:50 PM »
I'm not sure that's a SMALL point.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6448 on: December 16, 2020, 02:06:32 PM »
I'm not sure that's a SMALL point.

(It's not; I was being polite. There are vast differences, not least of which one - Bell's - is almost always temporary, whereas while cerebral palsy won't get worse, but doesn't always get better.)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6449 on: December 16, 2020, 02:13:58 PM »
I'm partial to Tagliatelle Palsy myself.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #6450 on: December 16, 2020, 02:18:01 PM »
I'm all for the so-called "democratization" of information that the Internet has produced, wherein just about anyone with an internet connection can access the same information as anyone else with an internet connection.  I know this kind of access is not consistent across all countries, but for the most part, the civilized would can access a hell of a lot of information.

Unfortunately, the civilized world can also access a lot of misinformation and propaganda posing as legitimate scientific data.  It's a serious problem because it's giving crackpot conspiracy theorists and tin foil hat wearing weirdos a platform to spew out all manner of nonsensical "data" about everything under the sun and the amount of gullible people out there who hear a message that lines up with their worldview and just automatically, almost in a pavlovian response, they just latch on to complete nonsense and spread it to their entire Facebook friends list and if just a few of those friends also spread it, well, you do the math and then look at how popular some of the stupid shit out there has become like QAnon. 

Vast left-wing conspiracy involving pedophilia and child sacrifices upon satanic altars in the....basement of a pizza parlor in Philly.  There are 10's of thousands if not 100's of thousands of people out there who actually believe that (insert politician they don't like here) is involved in raping little kids, trafficking them for sex and then slaughtering them on a satanic altar underneath "Joe's Pizza" or some shit.  I mean, like, what the fuck is wrong with these people? 

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #6451 on: December 16, 2020, 04:09:13 PM »
And let's not forget about cyber warfare. There are governments actively trying to manipulate data to promote unrest and sow the seeds of doubt undermining our Democracy. Russian bots. Anytime I see a political poll, I always wonder how much of it been manipulated by some Russian bots or bots from other countries. The human mind is weak. There's an old saying that goes - "if you can get people to believe absurdities, you can get them to commit atrocities".

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6452 on: December 17, 2020, 11:21:26 AM »
Just in case anyone is curious about some of these symptoms I've had....yesterday was really strange. Started off with it feeling like gravity was working double time on my body....just pulling me down big time. Was pretty lethargic all day....then around 2pm or so I got this headache that was brutal which lasted all night. Somewhere around 5:30-6:00 I fell asleep hard in bed and woke up with a strange feeling going on. My sinuses felt like it feels when you accidentally take in water when swimming....that feeling...it was burning and just felt like I'd been unexpectedly dunked under water. I got REAL weak....then had a weird sensation throughout my body of just a sinking feeling.....then I started to freak out mentally thinking "holy crap...this is it...I'm going to die right here in bed!!" and proceeded to have a small panic attack  :omg:  This went on for about 20 minutes and I was able to calm myself down and was 'fine' the rest of the night.

Woke up today feeling a ton better. No headaches....feeling a bit stronger....no issues breathing or anything. But man, last night for a few minutes I thought I was literally dying in front of my wife.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #6453 on: December 17, 2020, 11:29:51 AM »
Just in case anyone is curious about some of these symptoms I've had....yesterday was really strange. Started off with it feeling like gravity was working double time on my body....just pulling me down big time. Was pretty lethargic all day....then around 2pm or so I got this headache that was brutal which lasted all night. Somewhere around 5:30-6:00 I fell asleep hard in bed and woke up with a strange feeling going on. My sinuses felt like it feels when you accidentally take in water when swimming....that feeling...it was burning and just felt like I'd been unexpectedly dunked under water. I got REAL weak....then had a weird sensation throughout my body of just a sinking feeling.....then I started to freak out mentally thinking "holy crap...this is it...I'm going to die right here in bed!!" and proceeded to have a small panic attack  :omg:  This went on for about 20 minutes and I was able to calm myself down and was 'fine' the rest of the night.

Woke up today feeling a ton better. No headaches....feeling a bit stronger....no issues breathing or anything. But man, last night for a few minutes I thought I was literally dying in front of my wife.

I was thinking about you this morning. I hope you all get better quickly. Do you mind if I ask the circumstances where you all think you got infected?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6454 on: December 17, 2020, 11:35:09 AM »
I was thinking about you this morning. I hope you all get better quickly. Do you mind if I ask the circumstances where you all think you got infected?

I would love to tell you that I knew. We did travel to Nashville two weeks ago for a hockey tournament but we are the only three out of 50 people that went and spent every moment together that have came down with it. So, I don't think that was it.

My wife is a teacher and still sees kids 4 of 5 days a week...and her school is pretty nonchalant about Covid restrictions so we're thinking maybe there? Her school has had multiple covid positive cases with students....but the truth is it's a guessing game.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6455 on: December 17, 2020, 11:37:16 AM »
Glad that today you're feeling better! let's hope the worst already happened and that you'll never have that weird ugly feeling again  :tup
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline T-ski

« Reply #6456 on: December 17, 2020, 11:38:27 AM »

Glad you’re feeling better, hopefully you’re through the worst of it.  It brings up the fact that this virus does a mental attack as well as a physical. I know the next time I get sick I’ll be more concerned than I probably should be.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6457 on: December 17, 2020, 11:38:51 AM »

Yikes.  Glad today is better.  Did you get my text the other day?  I was a bit worried when you didn't respond, but I saw that you posted here since, so that helped.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6458 on: December 17, 2020, 11:40:27 AM »

Yikes.  Glad today is better.  Did you get my text the other day?  I was a bit worried when you didn't respond, but I saw that you posted here since, so that helped.

I did not but it's no fault of your own....I had to switch phone numbers when I changed jobs. I appreciate the well wishes I've received from many of the DTF members....this community is great

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6459 on: December 17, 2020, 11:48:40 AM »

I did not but it's no fault of your own....I had to switch phone numbers when I changed jobs. I appreciate the well wishes I've received from many of the DTF members....this community is great

Oh!  :lolpalm:  Well, please know that I sent my well wishes.  ...and if you need a laugh and aren't afraid to laugh at dark humor, ponder the thought that some random person may now think they have Covid due to my text.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6460 on: December 17, 2020, 11:49:52 AM »
I recall Chris Cuomo saying he had some mental breakdowns at night when he got sick and was sharing his symtpoms on air.  Glad you are feeling better today, but keep resting my friend, sometimes they say these symptoms come and go.  Hopefully they've gone for good, but keep taking care of yourself with rest and water. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6461 on: December 17, 2020, 12:00:41 PM »
Gary, it's scary to read because I look at you as very fit. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6462 on: December 17, 2020, 12:10:32 PM »
Gary, it's scary to read because I look at you as very fit.

For my age I consider myself fairly fit as well. Play hockey a couple times a week and run 2-3 days a week. But I don't think this virus really gives a  :censored about that  :lol  I will say that as of yet I haven't had any issues breathing. I had a tight chest one night a few nights ago and then my little panic attack was a nice throw back to my mid 20's when I had three a week....it's just such a weird thing

sometimes they say these symptoms come and go.

Tuesday I would have sworn I was past it and in the clear....I felt fine. Then yesterday was a kick in the nuts.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6463 on: December 17, 2020, 12:11:36 PM »
Oh!  :lolpalm:  Well, please know that I sent my well wishes.  ...and if you need a laugh and aren't afraid to laugh at dark humor, ponder the thought that some random person may now think they have Covid due to my text.  :lol

:lol   That's funny but then again it's not. Poor person  :lol 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6464 on: December 17, 2020, 12:44:03 PM »
I can just see the poor guy going to his wife going:

"Honey, I have some REALLY bad news!  I have Covid!"  :panicattack:

"...and that's not the worst of it.  Apparently, I'm also the victim of identity theft, and they changed my name to Gary!" :panicattack: :panicattack: :panicattack:

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #6465 on: December 17, 2020, 03:15:01 PM »
Moderna vaccine gets a :tup from the fda panel of experts. Figure we'll have two rolling by Monday.

Gary, please take care man, that's some scary shit.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #6466 on: December 17, 2020, 03:17:24 PM »
Yes please take care. I haven't been checking this thread so I missed your update. I hope you continue to improve.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6467 on: December 17, 2020, 03:21:47 PM »
That is definitely a sobering story, Gary. Glad you are feeling better today! Hopefully, yesterday was the worst and the upswing is in full swing.  :tup :tup

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6468 on: December 17, 2020, 03:41:50 PM »
I appreciate it fellas....I really do. As an update....my oldest two sons tests just came back positive as well....which is no surprise. I'd have been more surprised if they weren't. They're asymptomatic but we got them tested once we popped positive. The kids are bouncing around like it's nothing. Only my wife and I are really experiencing any noticeable symptoms....so I'm glad they're seemingly doing well.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6469 on: December 17, 2020, 04:14:45 PM »
Thankfully, kids almost always seem to either be asymptomatic or have VERY mild symptoms. 

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #6470 on: December 17, 2020, 04:20:56 PM »
I've heard multiple people say they felt fine until they tested positive for Covid and then their anxiety about it made things way worse. My brother-in-law's 90+ year old grandma died of Covid a few months ago. She was fine until she tested positive and then basically became a giant anxiety ridden mess. They're convinced she died of the panic that overtook her rather than the virus.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #6471 on: December 17, 2020, 05:22:26 PM »
I appreciate it fellas....I really do. As an update....my oldest two sons tests just came back positive as well....which is no surprise. I'd have been more surprised if they weren't. They're asymptomatic but we got them tested once we popped positive. The kids are bouncing around like it's nothing. Only my wife and I are really experiencing any noticeable symptoms....so I'm glad they're seemingly doing well.

I’m no scientist, but have you considered blaming Stadler?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6472 on: December 17, 2020, 05:29:09 PM »

I’m no scientist, but have you considered blaming Stadler?

I know I have!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6473 on: December 17, 2020, 06:10:46 PM »
Hey guys!  What's new?

;D

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6474 on: December 17, 2020, 06:17:08 PM »
SHHHH.  He's here.