Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 439650 times)

Offline XeRocks81

Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #2835 on: April 28, 2020, 12:03:21 PM »
Well, I think it's less "thinking small" than "not covering any and all variables".  You build that into the analysis.  My copy is obsolete now, but I used to use a software called "Extend" to model processes, and analyze for critical path functionality.  If it's not just beds, but ventilators and doctors, factor it in.  When we build a bridge, we don't just account for the weight of the materials in the bridge, we estimate the amount of traffic, with a safety factor.  We estimate the percentage of freight vehicles.  We factor in snow, wind, and rain.  Maybe earthquakes if we're at a certain location.  We estimate resonance frequency of the materials, and slap a safety factor on there, to boot. We can do that with hospital load. 

I kind of want to really dig deep into this discussion because I think there's a lot of cool stuff to talk about. But looking back at your reply that I responded to, I completely misread what you were asking, so my bad if the response seemed off.

It's going to be interesting to see what evolves and how over the next few years. I don't think greatly increasing hospital capacity going forward is going to solve a whole lot (that's kind of where I thought you were heading). 

The point really was, it's not about "number dead" or "number of cases" - so when Brook Baldwin breathless with gravitas says "deaths in the United, States will soon top seventy.  Four.  THOUSAND.  <Pause>." it's really not meaningful news in the sense of being an indicator, but something else.

Agreed.

Though I don't think "number dead" should be discouraged from being discussed (not implying you were). Have you seen this: https://www.sheltonherald.com/news/article/Shelton-nursing-home-coronavirus-deaths-rise-again-15223490.php?

I'll tell you how my mentality has changed during all this.... I've been looking at my 401K as a means to enjoy my final years, but now I look at it was a way to prevent myself from being in a place like that.

the situation in nursing homes here has been catastrophic  https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52239263

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2836 on: April 28, 2020, 12:04:32 PM »
Well, I think it's less "thinking small" than "not covering any and all variables".  You build that into the analysis.  My copy is obsolete now, but I used to use a software called "Extend" to model processes, and analyze for critical path functionality.  If it's not just beds, but ventilators and doctors, factor it in.  When we build a bridge, we don't just account for the weight of the materials in the bridge, we estimate the amount of traffic, with a safety factor.  We estimate the percentage of freight vehicles.  We factor in snow, wind, and rain.  Maybe earthquakes if we're at a certain location.  We estimate resonance frequency of the materials, and slap a safety factor on there, to boot. We can do that with hospital load. 

I kind of want to really dig deep into this discussion because I think there's a lot of cool stuff to talk about. But looking back at your reply that I responded to, I completely misread what you were asking, so my bad if the response seemed off.

It's going to be interesting to see what evolves and how over the next few years. I don't think greatly increasing hospital capacity going forward is going to solve a whole lot (that's kind of where I thought you were heading). 

Not specifically just capacity, but whatever the metric is for avoiding overload.

If you want to go deep, I'd be interested in hearing what you have to say.

The point really was, it's not about "number dead" or "number of cases" - so when Brook Baldwin breathless with gravitas says "deaths in the United, States will soon top seventy.  Four.  THOUSAND.  <Pause>." it's really not meaningful news in the sense of being an indicator, but something else.

Agreed.

Though I don't think "number dead" should be discouraged from being discussed (not implying you were). Have you seen this: https://www.sheltonherald.com/news/article/Shelton-nursing-home-coronavirus-deaths-rise-again-15223490.php?

I'll tell you how my mentality has changed during all this.... I've been looking at my 401K as a means to enjoy my final years, but now I look at it was a way to prevent myself from being in a place like that.

No kidding; I'm dealing with that with my mom and dad (83 and 81 this year) and they're at the doorstep.  There's a real part of me (and I've had this conversation with my brother) about whether they're better off just living their life as they want to. It'd be so much easier for ME, personally, if they're in a home, but it's not about me, is it?

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2837 on: April 28, 2020, 12:21:10 PM »

No kidding; I'm dealing with that with my mom and dad (83 and 81 this year) and they're at the doorstep.  There's a real part of me (and I've had this conversation with my brother) about whether they're better off just living their life as they want to. It'd be so much easier for ME, personally, if they're in a home, but it's not about me, is it?

My last grandparent died last Thanksgiving after 4 or 5 years at a place called Cook Willow. I'm so relieved she got bad and passed when she did. If she had to spend her last couple months alone, my mother would have been absolutely hysterical, as would her siblings. I couldn't imagine having to make some of those decisions in this climate.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2838 on: April 28, 2020, 01:13:23 PM »
Missouri is lifting the statewide stay at home order on May 4th. Businesses will reopen with the expectation that businesses/people will still adhere to social distancing rules and limited gatherings. Local municipalities/counties can still issue stay at home orders though. The Governor is just basically not making it a mandatory state wide thing and handing it back to local authorities.

I'm honestly cool with that. There are a lot of rural areas in Missouri that shouldn't be governed the same as say downtown St. Louis.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2839 on: April 28, 2020, 01:18:12 PM »
Missouri is lifting the statewide stay at home order on May 4th. Businesses will reopen with the expectation that businesses/people will still adhere to social distancing rules and limited gatherings. Local municipalities/counties can still issue stay at home orders though. The Governor is just basically not making it a mandatory state wide thing and handing it back to local authorities.

I'm honestly cool with that. There are a lot of rural areas in Missouri that shouldn't be governed the same as say downtown St. Louis.

Yep, and we've already been emailed today that we will all work part time in the office starting next Monday (half will work at home day, half at the office, and then rotate the next day, etc.), and then all of us back in the office on the 18th of May.  It is what it is.

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #2840 on: April 28, 2020, 01:31:14 PM »

Yep, and we've already been emailed today that we will all work part time in the office starting next Monday (half will work at home day, half at the office, and then rotate the next day, etc.), and then all of us back in the office on the 18th of May.  It is what it is.

I too live in Missouri and I think we're opening up too quickly but I get it. Missouri is a poor State and people are feeling the pain. My area will be the last to go back into the office  but we still will be required social distance and keep meetings to low occupancy. I work in IT, been WFH since mid-March and can do my job from literally anywhere in the world. So I axe you, what's the fucking use in going in at all? It's high risk!  >:(

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #2842 on: April 28, 2020, 04:50:04 PM »
My wife told me the Tennessee governor is allowing gyms to open this Friday.  I am a YMCA member, but not sure when I will return.  Glad I bought my spin bike last year.

Concerning office workers returning after 2 months of efficiently working from home, morale will tank if we are not allowed to work from home in the future. We have the technology!
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2843 on: April 28, 2020, 05:00:11 PM »

Concerning office workers returning after 2 months of efficiently working from home, morale will tank if we are not allowed to work from home in the future. We have the technology!

That will be interesting. My work has stated out loud that they are taken aback at how effective and efficient we have been during this time. We have some 800-1000 IT staff and we aren't batting an eye. I have told my bosses that I am more productive at home.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2844 on: April 28, 2020, 05:30:50 PM »
I'm IT, and I've been working from home since last year, and have no intention of returning to the office whenever it does reopen.  Now that we've all adjusted to working remotely, I can't see why they wouldn't let us continue this way.

The situation now reminds me of the days and months immediately following 9/11/2001.  I was working for the airlines at the time, and when flights were grounded and air travel changed overnight, businesses realized that they didn't have to spend thousands of dollars all the time flying people all over the country for face-to-face meetings.  Flights were cheap in the 90's; everyone did it.  Instead they ramped up their teleconferencing game, and it became the new norm.

Similarly, I think we're going to see a big shift towards people working from home.  Businesses will see how it ultimately saves them money and increases productivity at the same time, and you know they'll be all over that.  If you can do your job sitting at a desk, what difference does it make if you're sitting in an office building or your own house?

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2845 on: April 28, 2020, 05:31:51 PM »

I too live in Missouri and I think we're opening up too quickly but I get it. Missouri is a poor State and people are feeling the pain. My area will be the last to go back into the office  but we still will be required social distance and keep meetings to low occupancy. I work in IT, been WFH since mid-March and can do my job from literally anywhere in the world. So I axe you, what's the fucking use in going in at all? It's high risk!  >:(

I prefer the Governor leave it up to the Counties and local municipalities. St. Louis county is gonna stay locked down for a bit and so is the Kansas City area  those are the big hit areas. I’m good with the Statewide stuff being lifted.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2846 on: April 28, 2020, 05:40:31 PM »
I'm IT, and I've been working from home since last year, and have no intention of returning to the office whenever it does reopen.  Now that we've all adjusted to working remotely, I can't see why they wouldn't let us continue this way.

It doesn't pertain to me much, but I asked my boss about this in our one on one to get maybe a bigger insight for the company.  We are an IT company and most people are programmers and people who can do their job remotely.  So I asked my boss if there were talks about working from home being a thing in general for the future.  The company just spent so much money on making sure people have monitors and equipment at home while boosting our video conference service that you have to ask, if this works, why go back?  It seems like they are definitely thinking about this stuff.  Office space in Manhatten is really expensive.  I think they will maintain the office maybe in a smaller capacity, because for sales and certain positions, it does make sense to physically be there and be in a good location, however many people can stay home.  Plus, with social distancing, our open office layout doesn't really work well with that.  They'd have to give people more space and that alone is a reason to keep people home. 

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2847 on: April 28, 2020, 06:21:08 PM »
Yeah, my company sending IT home could be a revenue generator for them. Currently, the majority of IT takes up several floors of a building in the Streeterville neighborhood of downtown Chicago. Some of my coworkers have a beautiful view of the lake from their office as it is near Navy Pier. They could easily flip that space to clinical and make a ton either renting it out or expanding services to the building.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #2848 on: April 28, 2020, 06:56:54 PM »
Question - and I realize this may vary from state to state (US) and country to country - but if more people begin/continue telecommuting doesn't that mean employees can get a nice tax break?  I sort of remember my brother-in-law at one point worked from home and had a write off for his home office - meaning a portion of his mortgage, a portion of his electric bill, etc. was credited to him at tax time.

Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2849 on: April 28, 2020, 07:59:44 PM »
Question - and I realize this may vary from state to state (US) and country to country - but if more people begin/continue telecommuting doesn't that mean employees can get a nice tax break?  I sort of remember my brother-in-law at one point worked from home and had a write off for his home office - meaning a portion of his mortgage, a portion of his electric bill, etc. was credited to him at tax time.

There are some rules about that kind of stuff, but there is the potential for a tax write off. I believe the space must be used exclusively for business for example among other things.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2850 on: April 28, 2020, 08:13:10 PM »
There are some rules about that kind of stuff, but there is the potential for a tax write off. I believe the space must be used exclusively for business for example among other things.

Correct. There are rules, but hen I worked from home I claimed my whole cell phone and internet bill payments for "home office use" even though it was obviously not used solely for work. With the new tax rules, more people started taking the standard deduction instead of itemizing their deductions because they ended up getting a larger break that way. So even if more people can claim those deductions, they might not benefit in the end because their standard deduction will still be greater.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2851 on: April 28, 2020, 08:36:20 PM »
Weren’t a bunch of those things taken away.

I used to be able to write off my tools for work and I know that was taken away.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2852 on: April 29, 2020, 05:38:53 AM »

Correct. There are rules, but hen I worked from home I claimed my whole cell phone and internet bill payments for "home office use" even though it was obviously not used solely for work. With the new tax rules, more people started taking the standard deduction instead of itemizing their deductions because they ended up getting a larger break that way. So even if more people can claim those deductions, they might not benefit in the end because their standard deduction will still be greater.

From business owners I know and have spoken with in Connecticut, the space in your house that you designate as work related doesn't have to be 100% dedicated to work. One guy I speak with regularly turned his master bedroom into the "work office" (also doubles as his recording studio and masturbation station). He's got a full machine shop set up in the city, but often works from home and meets with clients there. Because the clients have to come in through the front door and go all the way to the master bedroom office, he also writes off his front entry way, the upstairs hallway, and even the master bathroom (client might need to poo) as part of "home office use".

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2853 on: April 29, 2020, 06:19:41 AM »
Not so fast, though; the so-called "rich person tax cut" that passed a couple years ago cut back DRASTICALLY on the ability to claim office space.  There is a difference between me working for General Electric, having an office and occasionally making my masturbation station into a remote office, and having a business that I own and run and hope is someday on Shark Tank, and running that business out of my den.   

I'm not a tax attorney, nor an accountant, but as someone who has worked for a larger company for over ten years, and spent most of that time in my basement, for the last couple years I have NOT been able to write off that portion of my home (and expenses) as a business expense.   I would be surprised if all these people that have office space available to them and just are setting up their laptop on their kitchen table will now have a new tax deduction.  My wife, on the other hand, who has a consulting business and runs that business ENTIRELY out of the house (and has for years), can take a deduction on certain things. 

And whether anyone is following it or not, there IS an "exclusive use" requirement under the IRS tax rules.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2854 on: April 29, 2020, 06:55:03 AM »
My wife runs a dog sitting business out of our home. I used TurboTax to do our taxes this year. Based on the way TurboTax described everything, we were not able to write off any of our home simply because everything is a shared space. We don't have dedicated business space. Now, I was tempted to write some off anyway and roll the dice on being audited, but in the end I didn't. It's possible a tax accountant could have found some stuff to write off, but we don't make that much money from it, so I didn't feel it was worth the cost.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #2855 on: April 29, 2020, 07:53:12 AM »
Yeah, the IRS tax rules suck.  In fact the whole IRS sucks for that matter.  :loser:
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #2856 on: April 29, 2020, 02:43:40 PM »
Possible good news on the treatment front.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/29/health/gilead-sciences-remdesivir-covid-19-treatment/index.html?=000

Cross your fingers and toes.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #2857 on: April 29, 2020, 03:26:57 PM »
So this is an interesting study - though be advised the study group is quite small.  The asymptomatic covid positive passengers from the Diamond Princess?  Well half of them showed lung damage on their CT scans.  The damage was consistent with the "ground-glass opacities" that are often seen in hospital CT scans of covid positive patients.

So if this study is an indication, then a lot more people are at a much higher likelihood of long-term lung disease from covid.   :-\

https://pubs.rsna.org/doi/10.1148/ryct.2020200110?fbclid=IwAR3n6ehB1boe_PjRb0kxM2_mJrLAf3SC7Dof-ollcG_cWWgZ_1LGaguftrY
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2858 on: April 29, 2020, 04:08:22 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/29/health/gilead-sciences-remdesivir-covid-19-treatment/index.html?=000

The fact Fauci seemed pretty excited for the potential of this gives me hope.  Not a cure, but this could help a lot with getting people out of the hospitals quicker.

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #2859 on: April 29, 2020, 04:36:10 PM »

The fact Fauci seemed pretty excited for the potential of this gives me hope.  Not a cure, but this could help a lot with getting people out of the hospitals quicker.

There had been reporting for at least 3 weeks about remdesvir. This is the first time where studies confirm that it can help and the FDA fast tracked its approval.

And yes - the fact that Fauci's  (a national treasure) excitement should give everyone hope.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #2860 on: April 29, 2020, 04:58:50 PM »
It'll be interesting to see what Walz does here in Minnesota tomorrow. He's set to make the decision what the next step of his stay at home order, and also said some businesses will be allowed to open on Monday. It'll be interesting to see. He's shown that he won't go hand in hand with Wisconsin and what they are doing, but he also seems like he's willing to keep more businesses closed for longer. I don't know, I think he's done a pretty good job recently.

Work continues to be crazy for us. We offer curbside pickup, which has proven quite popular. We're just a small mom and pop, and aren't equipped to be doing what we're doing. However, we're quite resilient and keep up. We've had quite a few people step up, it's been amazing. We still continue to do almost double the business every day. Recently, a customer complained (in a rather condescending email) about us not wearing masks, so we started wearing those. Man, those are uncomfortable and make it hard to breath sometimes--these weren't made to wear while carrying 50 pounds up steps constantly, but we'll get through.

I read TACs post awhile back about how working in a grocery store during these times feels like any other day--we're just doing our jobs. It felt special at first because it was so new and we were getting thanks that we otherwise don't get from people--I think some people realized how important grocery stores are to society. But now everyday seems like it's just a holiday eve--I've seen the comparison that it's Thanksgiving Eve everyday and it does truly feel like that. But it's been rewarding and I hope we've gained some new customers
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2861 on: April 29, 2020, 05:07:43 PM »
WA's Stay at Home was set to expire May 04. Gov is talking now. I am following, not listening, but there will be an extension. He has opened up a few things, and says more specific openings will be announced on May 01. But as of now, there is still a Stay at Home order, that will be extended to unknown date, as of now unknown.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2862 on: April 29, 2020, 05:23:48 PM »
Went into work today and on my way home stopped at my local liqour and local grocery store since I was already masked and out.  I hadn't been to a store in 2 weeks and it seemed a bit had changed.  Barriers put up in the liqour store between the register and the counter and a limit on only two packages of chicken at the grocery store.  I had no idea about the limit, I grabbed 5 packages of different cuts to stock up since chicken is my go to daily protein and the lady at the register was extremely annoyed by me.  I guess I totally missed a sign or something and felt like an idiot.  I haven't been out much to really have kept up with the rules like that, but I do hear there may be a meat shortage so I don't blame them for the rules... just wish I knew so I didn't accidentally piss off this cashier

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2863 on: April 30, 2020, 05:20:04 AM »
It'll be interesting to see what Walz does here in Minnesota tomorrow. He's set to make the decision what the next step of his stay at home order, and also said some businesses will be allowed to open on Monday. It'll be interesting to see. He's shown that he won't go hand in hand with Wisconsin and what they are doing, but he also seems like he's willing to keep more businesses closed for longer. I don't know, I think he's done a pretty good job recently.

Work continues to be crazy for us. We offer curbside pickup, which has proven quite popular. We're just a small mom and pop, and aren't equipped to be doing what we're doing. However, we're quite resilient and keep up. We've had quite a few people step up, it's been amazing. We still continue to do almost double the business every day. Recently, a customer complained (in a rather condescending email) about us not wearing masks, so we started wearing those. Man, those are uncomfortable and make it hard to breath sometimes--these weren't made to wear while carrying 50 pounds up steps constantly, but we'll get through.

I read TACs post awhile back about how working in a grocery store during these times feels like any other day--we're just doing our jobs. It felt special at first because it was so new and we were getting thanks that we otherwise don't get from people--I think some people realized how important grocery stores are to society. But now everyday seems like it's just a holiday eve--I've seen the comparison that it's Thanksgiving Eve everyday and it does truly feel like that. But it's been rewarding and I hope we've gained some new customers
I'm curious what happens in Minnesota as well. I suspect some easing up so some businesses can reopen, but overall the stay at home order is extended by at least 2 weeks if not until June. If essential companies can stay open without mass outbreaks, so can non-essential businesses. And if grocery stores can be open without major issues, why can't other retail?

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2864 on: April 30, 2020, 06:27:12 AM »
I know this is incredibly selfish and a hell of a first world/middle class problem, but I find myself starting to get depressed at the thought of this ending. So many things in my life have changed for the better now that I'm seven weeks into working from home.

1) I'm not beat anymore. I usually have an hour+ commute to work and have to get ready for the office every morning. I've been getting up at 5:30 for the last six years, getting out the door by 6:30. I don't wake up to an alarm anymore. I'm sleeping so much better it's ridiculous. I feel good as soon as the day begins now. I have more time in the evenings and have been able to get a jump start on my yard work for the first time in the six years I've lived here. I don't have the most half-assed property in the neighborhood anymore. I also picked up a second, weekend job about twenty months ago that I've put on the back burner during all this (chef at a grocery store/catering), and it's been amazing having my weekends back.

2) I'm exercising more. Because I don't have to do all the morning shit plus commuting, I'm exercising regularly. For a few weeks now I've been taking my dog out for walks AFTER I'd typically leave for the office. We'll go on a 35-45 minute walk and I'm still back in the house with a few minutes to spare before work. Because I have an extra hour+ after work now, I find myself taking second walks in the afternoon as well. During meetings I put my phone on mute and do dumbbell exercises at my desk. My back has started feeling so much better.

3) Doing home chores during the day frees up time in the evenings. I can utilize the time on my lunch break to do dishes, swap out loads of laundry, vacuum, etc...

4) My diet has improved so much. Because of all the extra time and I have, my meal prep and cooking game has been on point. I'm not eating two or three meals a day in a cafeteria or via takeout anymore. I'm eating less and I'm eating better. I had a turkey burger with lettuce on it last night. LETTUCE!

5) General cost of living has greatly declined. Even with gas being dirt cheap, I'm still driving 1000-1100 less miles
per month now. I'm saving on gas and wear and tear on my vehicle. I'm not dropping $250-$300 a month at bars and restaurants anymore.

6) Doing work I enjoy - You've seen the work I've been doing for the hospitals. I dislike so many things about my day job, and I'm 110% in it for the paychecks and benefits. It's been awesome being able to put so much time and energy into something that actually makes me feel good and useful. I like the feeling of my efforts being utilized for something that's actually contributing to something, rather than just trying to maximize every dime that comes into our coffers (controversial statement, I know).

7) There's a feeling of 'community' that I've never really felt before, or at least can't remember feeling (the weeks after 9/11 maybe?). As mentioned in the last point, it's been great seeing so many corners of the country coming together and making stuff for medical personnel and first responders. Whether it be medical gear/equipment, food for those working 16 hour shifts, or even just thank you letters, it's been really nice seeing people come together. But even just walking around my neighborhood, everything seems kind of transformed in a way. There's so many hearts on people's front doors. Driveways are covered in sidewalk art thanking postal workers and grocery deliverers. There are so many children outside playing. So many people outside walking their dogs or biking. So many people on their porches giving waves and "How's it goings?" to people passing by. The neighborhood feels alive for the first time in the six years I've lived here. At least were I am, everyone seems to have hit a much needed pause button on life and has been able to focus on themselves, their homes, and their families. Everyone I pass seems friendlier somehow.

8) Less stress in general. I miss seeing my friends, but it's been soooo nice not having any social obligations in life. There hasn't been a single thing in the last two months that I've had to force myself to do. No activities I could care less about have required my participation.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2865 on: April 30, 2020, 06:37:30 AM »
I honestly prefer this way of life in most ways as well. Apart from not being able to see family or friends, which sucks. And eventually we'd want to travel again.

Working from home 4 days a week has been great. The reality is that 8 hours in the office can be done in 4-6 hours at home since there aren't the distractions and side conversations that happen in the office (though I stay logged in for at least 8 hours to make sure I'm on top of anything that comes up). I'm able to get a ton of the household stuff done (I've been doing 100% of the laundry and 80% of everything else), which is taking a weight off my pregnant wife's shoulders. Plus the house is cleaner than it normally is, which makes me happy. Wife gets to sleep in 1-2 extra hours since I can work while supervising the kids getting breakfast. I am going for a couple walks a day as well when the weather is nice and even working outside if it's nice. I've been getting small projects around the house done. I want to try and remember what it is that makes this life so much better this way and try to capture as much of that as possible when things go back to normal. I also intend to get my boss to allow me to work from home at least a couple days a week going forward.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2866 on: April 30, 2020, 06:41:43 AM »
In the long run I wouldn't want to forever work from home; it would be boring to remain stuck in my little town all day long, at least going into the city of Milan each day I had time to feel more... "connected", in the middle of it all, if I want to see something I'm already there, I can read in the subway which is by now the only moment where I read...

But so far, working from home isn't bad at all. I gain one hour of sleep, I don't have to pay the monthly fee for the subway, and I have one more hour for fooling around or watching TV series. I actively hope that at least the entirety of May will be spent working from home as well.

Also now being on lockdown there's a sort of a bubble.... we're all closed in, we feel the urgency of the situation, we root for doctors, scientists and relatives. Getting out will be more bleak - back to work but the subway will be regolated for number of people and it will be a mess, maybe this or that eating place won't be available during lunch break, comes the weekend and there are no concerts anyway, travelling isn't safe and it's an unnecessary risk.... the "new normal" will be quite bleak for a while, before all things will start to kick into gear again.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2867 on: April 30, 2020, 07:14:42 AM »
*cackles in introversion*

You think solitude is your ally? You merely adopted the silence. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't hear the city until I was already a man - by then it was nothing to me but deafening!

:biggrin: :corn
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2868 on: April 30, 2020, 07:16:10 AM »

Interesting thoughts...as usual.

Chino, that was an interesting read, I must say.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2869 on: April 30, 2020, 07:19:03 AM »
*cackles in introversion*

You think solitude is your ally? You merely adopted the silence. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't hear the city until I was already a man - by then it was nothing to me but deafening!

:biggrin: :corn

Captain America worried for the pandemic: "Dr. Banner, now might be a really good time to stay home"
Introverted and antisocial Bruce Banner: "That's my secret, captain. I always stay at home"
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!