Author Topic: Puppies' Rush Roulette V.3 (Ultimate Post-Roulette Mega Rundown!)  (Read 87170 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
@Puppies if it requires even a tiny bit of work from me i'm out :P going in hard on a video i'm working on this weekend tbh

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
OK, I have the day off work tomorrow, so I will be finishing this up.

I'm excited because I have an interesting thread idea I'm going to fire up over the weekend. It may not get much traffic (probably Cyril, maybe Katt and TAC, possibly Ariich, a small chance some others), but it's going to be more for my enjoyment than anything else and for my desire to share music. :corn So the 3 likely people to be interested......get hyped!
Colour me intrigued.

He's making a Moonsorrow discography thread
I dunno, I'd have thought I'd be more interested in that the others.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
So, I knew the language would be the most divisive aspect of the EP, but I do feel like it fits. Or maybe I'm just desensitized because I've been a hardcore Eminem fan since I was a little kid and my friend Dillon played me The Real Slim Shady at a sleepover once. So I'm glad it didn't make you hate the EP, I totally get why it's uncomfortable, especially when the whole thing starts off with slut, c%&$, and fuck in the first few seconds  :lol I knew you probably won't return to any of these for future listening on their own merits, but that's okay, 'cause my goal was to make a story, not turn you into an Eminem fan, which would probably be impossible, I'm not sure.

Concerning Kendrick's For Free? I was going to put it at the very beginning of the EP, not sure if it would replace Farewell or not. I was going to start the EP with the intro track Premonition from Eminem's new album because it literally has the sounds of a man digging a hole with a shovel and literally says "this is music for you to be murdered by" in it. I was also going to include the Eminem song Love Game which features Kendrick Lamar. The song is super fun and a total word salad and I LOVE it, but I just couldn't justify including it because I was afraid that one would actually be too vulgar even for this EP, and Farewell kind of communicates the same message, just in a smoother way with more catchy rhythms.

I'm psyched to hear you might return to it from time to time, honestly, even if that's just you being nice  :) RYM is garbage when it comes to judging the quality of Eminem's last few albums, seriously. Like I said earlier I think his new album is the best thing he's done since The Eminem Show. He collaborates with fresh, young artists and pop stars alike and people love to hate him for it. When he launched his album Revival in 2017 everyone dumped on it. It has a song called Chloraseptic (one of my favorites). A few weeks later he launched a remix of Chloraseptic featuring 2 Chainz and Phresher. You should check out Em's enormous verse in the back half because it directly attacks all the dumb YouTube reviewers who called Revival shit. And then he came back with a whole new album 8 months later  :lol

Okay I'm done gushing about Em but yeah thanks a bunch for listening to it, man, it's the most fun I've ever had putting an EP together. Also I'm super psyched for the weekend thread.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->

I'm excited because I have an interesting thread idea I'm going to fire up over the weekend. It may not get much traffic (probably Cyril, maybe Katt and TAC, possibly Ariich, a small chance some others), but it's going to be more for my enjoyment than anything else and for my desire to share music. :corn So the 3 likely people to be interested......get hyped!

Is it gonna be growlies?

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son

Is it gonna be growlies?
I'd say 85%
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

• DTF.org Member
Re: Puppies' Rush Roulette V.3 (Fifteen Years)
« Reply #1510 on: May 08, 2020, 12:30:30 PM »
Ariich

Fifteen Years (EP file) (story)

Oddarrang – Ohlop
The Reign of Kindo – Let It Go
Submotion Orchestra – Hard to Stay (bonus point for favorite song)
The Butterfly Effect – Worlds on Fire
Submotion Orchestra – 1968
The Reign of Kindo – Till We Make Our Ascent
The Butterfly Effect – Sum of 1
Oddarrang – 15 Years

First Impression - Is it possible to be groovy and breathtakingly beautiful at the same time? Apparently so...

You my friend have a gift. You somehow always manage to put together some of the most well structured, smooth, and intriguing EP's and concept albums. Both you and Evermind are very good at this. At least the ones you guys have sent me.

Anyway on to the EP. The opening instrumental track works extremely well for me. It perfectly sets the mood for the coming story. It has an almost uneasy beauty to it. Wait, is that a Trombone? One thing I want to point out early is the common theme musically on this EP. They are all tied together by amazing horn work, whether it's the Trombone, trumpet, saxophone, etc. I don't know if this was intentional, but it was a genius way to tie these songs of differing genres together. But I digress. This first song has so much going right for it. It makes me feel excited for the rest of the EP to come. The transition to Let it Go is very smooth and works so well. This song almost seems like a natural progression, like it could have almost been the same band. This song is so groovy and yet the vocal melodies are so beautiful and catchy. I find myself singing along to this song all the time. Then that little guitar solo that comes in about the middle is a perfect accent to the song. And more horns! Correct me if I'm wrong, but that sounds like a Trumpet. It's almost too bad Thank You Scientist is banned. I could see a few of their songs fitting on this EP maybe. If there is one part of flow that I could wish was a little different, it's the transition to Hard to Stay. I wish there was maybe a second pause between the 2 songs. It would help signify the change in point of view. Having said that, this song is so beautiful, it's bonkers! The subtle use of keyboard is perfect. The vocal melodies and tone is gorgeous. It all does such a great job of conveying the story you are telling. I really can't find anything wrong with this song. Now this could just be a byproduct of being placed perfectly in this EP and maybe on it's own I could find faults (I doubt it), but here it feels about as necessary as having a heart to live. Then to close out the song with more horns, brilliant. Worlds on Fire at first glance may seem a tad out of place, but it makes perfect sense story wise and you did a good job of transitioning to and from this song. I find the bass in this song very pleasing to my ears. It's technical and yet played for the song. The song also builds well and shows how one of our 2 protagonist's world is burning down around him and the emotions he is feeling. Oh and guess what? More horns! I love when horns are used in rock and metal music like this. You know my tastes so well, haha! The closing line of the song "I didn't ask for this at all" is heart-wrenching and at the same time, in the context of the story, he kind of did ask for it, and kind of knowingly and that kind of makes it all the more heartbreaking. This is probably my least favorite song of the bunch, but it's still a great song. Back to more Submotion Orchestra, with 1968. See all of my above comments about Hard to Stay. I mean seriously, nothing at all wrong with this song. And this one includes some nice vocal harmonies. I don't think it has quite the emotional impact of Hard to Stay, but it still tells the story well and hits fairly hard in the feels. More Trumpets! Yeah buddy. Anyway moving on the Till We Make Our Descent, which, by the way, the transition was a brilliant bit of editing. Kind of like 1968, this one doesn't have quite the same emotional hit as the respective first tracks by these artists. Again, not to say it doesn't have any, cause it does. I mean, after all, it is difficult to catch lightning in a bottle twice. Also this song may be slightly, just slightly, less engaging musically for me. Almost imperceptibly so. Like, I prefer the guitars and trumpet better in  Let It Go. Although this song seems to have a bit more of a progressive nature to it, which I like. It also has a triumphant ending which works well with the protagonist's thoughts and realizations. This flows nicely into Sum of 1. Again we get more cool bass lines. I really like the vocal melodies here. It's a short song about the protagonist coming to perhaps a difficult decision, but he knows it's the correct one. It's a great way to close out the story portion of the EP and the transition into the final track 15 Years is once again amazing. I really like the decision to open and close this story with the two Oddarrang songs. It gives the EP this cinematic quality of a prologue and then an epilogue. To me, at least, I thought it was brilliant.

Song quality here is off the charts (ok not really, there is a limit). This is helped by the sequencing and story and flow. Everything here seemed like it was painstakingly chosen to work together on every level, which gives each of the songs more weight than they probably have on their own. Brilliant! Plus you get a bonus point for Hard to Stay being my favorite song of the EP round. (9.1/10) +1

The story, while well written and well told with the chosen songs, is perhaps a bit unoriginal. That would be the only argument against it. It does have that emotional quality I like and the two separate points of view was a nice touch. (9/10)

The flow was almost perfect, just that one little suggestion I had between Let It Go and Hard To Stay. Other than that, great work editing this and picking songs that work together musically, especially with all the horns throughout. (4.5/5)

I think I will be coming back to this EP on occasion. It's too brilliant to not give it a listen again in the future. I will also be checking out all the individual albums in the near future too. Great piece of work here.

Overall Score (23.6/25)
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1511 on: May 08, 2020, 12:39:51 PM »
welp, congrats ariich  :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1512 on: May 08, 2020, 01:41:58 PM »
Awesome! :D It's theoretically possible for me to win if Trainy fumbled it, although I don't really expect to. But I'm delighted with this round anyway! Lots to respond to.

You my friend have a gift. You somehow always manage to put together some of the most well structured, smooth, and intriguing EP's and concept albums. Both you and Evermind are very good at this. At least the ones you guys have sent me.
You won my concept album round as well, so I think there must be something we have in common in terms of what we like in these things. And to some extent, I like to put in the effort because I always feel like you'll appreciate it.

One thing I want to point out early is the common theme musically on this EP. They are all tied together by amazing horn work, whether it's the Trombone, trumpet, saxophone, etc. I don't know if this was intentional, but it was a genius way to tie these songs of differing genres together.
It certainly was intentional, I literally pointed it out in my PM when I sent it to you: "I also think it's the most coherent one I've done musically as well, despite the different styles and genres included (helped by the fact that all four artists use brass instruments which provides a consistent thread through the EP)." :lol

Having said that, this song is so beautiful, it's bonkers! The subtle use of keyboard is perfect. The vocal melodies and tone is gorgeous. It all does such a great job of conveying the story you are telling. I really can't find anything wrong with this song. Now this could just be a byproduct of being placed perfectly in this EP and maybe on it's own I could find faults (I doubt it), but here it feels about as necessary as having a heart to live. Then to close out the song with more horns, brilliant.
Hard to Stay pretty much is perfection, and I was pretty sure you'd like it as you rated their debut album really high in your last roulette. I chose the two more soulful songs from the 1968 EP firstly because Submotion Orchestra are just incredible at that stuff, plus it fit well with the story, the character and the musical vibe, but the rest of the EP is amazing too and more groovy and energetic. Their latest album Kites is also superb if you want to explore more of their stuff.

The closing line of the song "I didn't ask for this at all" is heart-wrenching and at the same time, in the context of the story, he kind of did ask for it, and kind of knowingly and that kind of makes it all the more heartbreaking.
Absolutely, I think it's a great song because it kind of sneaks up on you - it's got cool stuff going on but it's sort of restrained, but then that final section at the end is that much more powerful as a result, and I loved how it worked for my story.

Song quality here is off the charts (ok not really, there is a limit). This is helped by the sequencing and story and flow. Everything here seemed like it was painstakingly chosen to work together on every level, which gives each of the songs more weight than they probably have on their own.
The story, while well written and well told with the chosen songs, is perhaps a bit unoriginal. That would be the only argument against it. It does have that emotional quality I like and the two separate points of view was a nice touch.
The flow was almost perfect, just that one little suggestion I had between Let It Go and Hard To Stay. Other than that, great work editing this and picking songs that work together musically, especially with all the horns throughout.
Yeah I put quite a bit of effort in to getting the right songs and the right sequencing to tell the story. I agree it's not an original story and as I indicated in my PM when I sent it, that wasn't what I was really going for this time, instead going for the emotional approach and telling a simple story well. I'm so so glad the effort was worth it to create something you liked so much! :heart

I be am boner inducing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
(probably Cyril, maybe Katt and TAC, possibly Ariich, a small chance some others)

Music taste-wise that's a pretty random group of people.

Yeah. On what planet would there be a thread that would only attract me and K-Lox? :lol

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• DTF.org Member
(probably Cyril, maybe Katt and TAC, possibly Ariich, a small chance some others)

Music taste-wise that's a pretty random group of people.

Yeah. On what planet would there be a thread that would only attract me and K-Lox? :lol
Yeah, I could be way off base, but you guys will find out either tonight or tomorrow.  :lol :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid

• DTF.org Member
Train of Naught

On the Verge of Collapse

Callisto – Wormwood
Dystopia Na! – Shadowcasting Horologe
Dystopia Na! – Through Mirrors, Darkly
Exquirla – Canción de E
Exquirla – Destruidnos Juntos
The Angelic Process – Dying in A-Minor

First Impression - Heavy, moving, epic

I was initially super excited about this EP. Unfortunately that excitement waned a bit after repeated listens. I also kind of wish I let you keep the original last track, but rules are rules.... Granted, this EP is still pretty good, so let's get to it.

First off is Wormwood. I do really like this track. It has this slow descent into madness as the music slowly turns darker. It's kind of a cool musical idea. It also works well for the story here. Which by the way is dark and poignant and really telling of the times we live in. Ooh and there's a saxophone in this. It brings a lovely atmosphere to an otherwise dark and brooding song. Also the lighter instrumental part in the back half of the track is really beautiful in a dark sort of way. After a not so great transition we move into the two Dystopia Na! songs. These have a great buildup of atmosphere and brooding sense of dread. I think these two songs are probably my favorite part of the EP, especially Through Mirrors, Darkly. This song has such a nice intense buildup with a good payoff. The vocals are very fitting for the story and work well for me. There's also some great quieter moments that remind me of Opeth's lighter moments in their heyday. I'm struggling to determine what genre these guys should be classified as, because I've never really heard anything quite like this. They are almost like a Depressive Black Metal band that wanted to write catchy Prog rock melodies. This song is a true journey from start to finish. It goes through so many twists and turns, but maintains that dark atmosphere. The song might be a little longer than necessary, but that's the only negative I can think of here. So another transition that I'm not particularly fond of and now we get to the part where I feel the EP takes a turn for the worse. This band, Exquirla, I'm not really big on their style. It's mostly straight up Post-Metal, without anything to truly make it stand out. The great atmosphere that Dystopia Na! had isn't here. There is a buildup, but the ultimate payoff isn't really anything special. Cancion de E seems to serve as an intro/lead-in to Destruidnos Juntos. The beginning of this song actually works for me, but the biggest issue I have with this song is the vocals. I just don't really like them. Now, I did end up translating the lyrics and they work really well for the story. It's just unfortunate I don't like the song more. Now we come to the biggest problem with this EP. I know you had to make a last second change from your original song, which actually is a fantastic song and would have ended this wonderfully. Unfortunately the song you picked doesn't work well within the context of the EP. The song itself is OK. It's in dire need of a remix or remaster thought. The production is too bassy and crackly. Which might be the point, as far as atmosphere is concerned, but it doesn't exactly work for me here and now. Especially when the rest of the EP has very clear production.

Song quality starts off really good with Callisto and Dystopia Na!, but then starts to go downhill fast after that. (7.2/10)

I like how the story sort of parallels what is going on in the world right now with this whole Covid-19 thing and the possibilities that could await us. It's dark and depressing. The song lyrics do a fairly good job of expressing the story too. (8/10)

The flow is probably the weakest part of the EP. The transitions between each of the respective artists isn't great and kind of takes me out of the enjoyment of the EP. The disparity between each of the artists, with the exception of Callisto and Dystopia Na! is noticeable. Especially with The Angelic Process. (2/5)

I know I kind of castrated the ending of your EP when I had to ban Kampfar and overall this could have been so much better. Sometimes that's just the way the cookie crumbles.

Overall Score (17.2/25)

Final Scores!

Ariich - 16.25, 17.25, 12.5, 12, 17.7, 18, 16, 16.7, 17.7, 23.6 = 167.7
Train - 18.5, 19, 16.7, 13, 13.6, 16.9, 17, 17.9, 17.2, 17.2 = 167
Kattelox - 17.5, 14.7, 14.2, 18.9, 14, 16.5, 16.5, 17.8, 15.8, 20.9 = 166.8
Romdrums - 17, 16.75, 18.7, 16.5, 16, 14, 16, 15.5, 15.5, 19.1 = 165.05
Elite - 10.5, 16, 17, 18.6, 14.2, 14.5, 16.8, 17.8, 14.9, 19.7 = 160
Nekov - 17, 16, 14.8, 14.3, 16.5, 15, 12, 16.3, 18.4, 16.5 = 156.8
Cyril - 15.25, 18.25, 16.5, 17, 14, 13, 16.1, 17.5, 12.2 = 139.8
Tomislav - 16, 16, 16.5, 16, 12.5, 15, 16, 12.4, 13 = 133.4
Lethean - 13.5, 16.5, 11, 18.2, 11.6, 14.5, 12.5, 16, 16.4 = 130.2
TAC - 11, 11, 17.2, 16, 14.5, 11, 17, 15.5, 16.5 = 129.7
Stadler - 14, 16.3, 14.2, 11, 13.5, 17, 10.5, 13.5, 14 = 124

And we have an upset, come from behind win!

:metal Congrats Ariich! :metal

Thanks again to all the participants. I've received so much good music this roulette. This may be my last roulette for a while. I have some other things in mind to do, as I mentioned earlier in the thread. More on that in a bit.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1516 on: May 08, 2020, 10:31:03 PM »

Offline Lethean

Congrats Ariich. 

And thanks again Puppies for doing this.  This was (of course) the coolest idea for a roulette. :)

Offline romdrums

Congrats to Ariich.   :tup

Puppies, this was a super fun roulette, and a great idea.   :metal
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Oh damn, did that really happen? :lol Trainy, I can only apologise. :heart

As Sid Waddell famously said, "it's the greatest comeback since Lazarus"! Very unexpected but also incredibly pleasing and vindicates the effort I put in. Especially after a couple of dud rounds early on while I was trying some things out, I didn't think I'd be able to catch back up.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Congrats Rich! The best wins are the unexpected ones  :tup
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Congrats Rich! Took the bronze myself, so close to silver :)

Pup, this roulette was super fun and kept me busy for a very long time, thanks for hosting. No surprise you want to take a long break  :lol
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 07:19:46 AM by Kattelox »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Yeah definitely, thanks Pup for another excellent roulette. The themes felt a little challenging at first as we got into the swing of things, but once I got the hang of it I found inspiration coming more easily, and it was a lot of fun to have think creatively like that.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Pup, just curious since it was in the hangman, did you listen to Worldchanger at all?

• DTF.org Member
Pup, just curious since it was in the hangman, did you listen to Worldchanger at all?
I did. I still plan to do a little write up for that. And for the EP that TAC sent. At some point  :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Me first.  :biggrin:

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I did. I still plan to do a little write up for that. And for the EP that TAC sent. At some point  :corn

:corn

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

You gonna choke to death on all that corn... I'm still waiting for a writeup of my post-roulette EP submission from his LAST roulette.   :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later

You gonna choke to death on all that corn... I'm still waiting for a writeup of my post-roulette EP submission from his LAST roulette.   :lol
Wait, then what's this:

Sorry for taking over a year to finally review this and do a write up   :facepalm:  :corn

Jingle.boy
Reflections of a Corrupted Soul

Echoes – Epilogue (...is Where We Start)
Serious Black – I Seek No Other Life
Heaven Below – Nefarious Angels
Defecto – When Daylight Dies
Glass Mind – Crepusculum Vehementis
Poverty's No Crime – Spiral of Fear
Pyramaze – The Journey
Sixx:A.M. – Prayers for the Damned
Soul Secret – Regrets
Anthriel – Guardian
Echoes – Rude Awakening
Serious Black – As Daylight Breaks
Ethernity – Interlude
The Chronicles Project – When Darkness Falls
Anthriel –Light Divine
Anthriel – Scent of Dawn
Anthriel – Promised Land
The Chronicles Project – The Last Embrace
The Chronicles Project – Interlude I: The Confession
Absolute Priority – Dead Man Walking
Echoes – Prologue (Where We End...)

First Impression - Epic storytelling and fitting song choice, but perhaps longer than it needs to be.

This concept album is long and ambitious....and full of Power Metal, Prog Metal, and Heavy Metal. Having a somewhat narrow range of styles helps keep the album cohesive. I really liked your usage of the Interlude tracks throughout, it helped with the flow quite a bit (more on this in a bit) and essentially broke up the album in to distinct sections (not sure if that was intentional or not, but that's how it came across to me (going back and looking at your write up, yes this was intentional (reading, I need to learn that skill...))). I really like the idea of the Deus Ex concept, since I really like those games and the story you created actually works and was quite enjoyable, let's call it fan-fiction! Now, I think the best way to get my thoughts across on this is to go track by track, so let's do that...

Beginning with the Epilogue track works very well for me. I like the build up of adding more and more instruments until it explodes to life. This track is very dynamic for such a short intro track. At first the keyboards sounded a little too cheesy, but the more I listened to the album the more I liked it. Plus the rest of the instrumentation is great. This band Echoes knows how to play, that's for sure. This song flows in to I Seek No Other Life (when I say flow, I mean it could have flowed perfectly with a little editing magic, but I won't really count that against you), which is fairly straight forward Power Metal. It's still a solid song, if a tiny bit vanilla compared to a lot of the rest of the songs here. It does have Urban Breed, whose vocals I enjoy in Tad Morose and Trail of Murder. This flows really well in to the next song, Nefarious Angels. This is where the story really takes off, giving us some plot exposition. There are some technical problems that I have with this song, mostly in the production side. Which is a shame, because this song absolutely slays! The production isn't so bad that I can't overlook it though. I love the various twists and turns this song goes through. The choir vocals (keyboards?) work really well too. I've never heard of this band before, but now I think I need to get this album. I like the transition between this song and the next, When Daylight Dies. This song unfortunately kind of falls in to the Cloudscape/Evergrey snoozefest category. It does work for getting more of the story across, so + points there. Crepusculum Vehementis kind of works as an interlude/bridge to another section of the story/album. You kind of brought this out in your write up with it signifying the passing of several years. It's a fairly standard Prog Metal instrumental, that I find fairly enjoyable, with enough interesting happening that it doesn't lose my interest. There's a lot of cool basslines and riffs going on here. Although the end goes in to full Dream Theater rip off mode :lol. Spiral of Fear being next and almost feels a centerpiece for the whole album. This song has a great progression and great sound. It almost sounds like Falling Into Infinity era production with Awake/A Change of Seasons creativity. Long story short, I like this song. I like how it fits in the story. The Journey, oh my do I hate the way that opening riffs sounds. That buzzy sound, it's awful. The rest of the song is more tolerable, but not great. I really didn't like Pyramaze's latest album and this song is not making me want to go back and listen to their other albums. I actually liked Prayers for the Damned a lot more than I thought I would at least the music and the lyrics are very fitting for the story. The vocals aren't as good, at least to my ears. TASTES! Regrets by Soul Secret is next. This is a band I'm somewhat familiar with. I loved their Closer to Daylight album and then my soul was utterly crushed at how bad Babel was, but I digress. This song probably works better within the album it's on. The vocals don't really work for me here and the pacing/timing/harmonies are all very awkward sounding :dunno: There's another sort of rough transition here to Guardian, but nevermind that. I love the way this song starts. However, this band, Anthriel, butts up very close to Cloudscape territory. The band in actuality is actually quite listenable and stays on the correct side of the boring|not-boring scale, if just barely. This is what I imagine Cloudscape could sound if they actually had good songwriting skills. I do like this song as the beginning of the final chapter of the story. And boy that was an inspired transition to the next song Rude Awakening. It may be in a different key, but it almost sounds intentional. I'm glad you included another Echoes song, this time with vocals, it makes it easier to truly evaluate the band. I think I really need to check out this band. They have a fairly unique sound for a Prog Metal band. The transition to As Daylight Breaks could be amazing with a little editing. This song is much better than the other Serious Black song on here. Maybe because I'm a sucker for well executed power ballads or maybe it's just a good song (it's both). This song flows right into the Interlude by Ethernity which is good for more story exposition with some spoken dialogue. When Darkness Falls is a fairly bombastic Power Metal tune with lots of keyboards and multiple vocalists. Everything here is good, if not great. Although I could see myself getting tired of an entire album like this, but it works well here. I feel I'm just moving away from music like this more and more. This is more of a me problem than this particular style of music's problem.

The rest of this album I feel I need to take as a whole. From Light Divine through Prologue (Where We End...), this is where I feel the story is the strongest, not that it wasn't strong overall, but one is bound to enjoy one section of any given medium of entertainment more than other parts. It's the nature of the beast. I absolutely love the choice of songs for the ending of this album. The lyrics/spoken word dialogue really paint a vivid picture of what's happening in the story. Plus the music is all really top notch from here on out too. This section is among the most inspired of all the roulette EP's and Concept Albums I've received. So hats off to you for that. There are so many cool little sections throughout this part of the album. The awesome riffing in Promised Land. The atmosphere and brilliant use of spoken word dialogue of the 2 Chronicles Project songs and the epic "false ending" with Dead Man Walking. I could go on and on about awesome musical bits here.

The flow here is really good, despite not doing any editing. There are a few awkward cuts between songs, but that's to be expected when using different artists throughout. Sure editing would have made it flow better, but it still seems like you took your time trying to find a sequence that would work best. The story here also helps a ton with flow. It's well thought out and well executed. Every song here has a purpose. Sure, the album could have been shortened a bit, but the more I think about it, that might have been to its detriment.

Overall I really enjoyed this album. There were a few songs I didn't truly enjoy musically, but lyrically they were there for a reason.
You get a score of 86 Schrute Bucks!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Hahaha yeah, what the hell, Chad? I was gonna ask you about that yesterday, if you ever even saw that writeup.  :rollin

• DTF.org Member
Hahaha yeah, what the hell, Chad? I was gonna ask you about that yesterday, if you ever even saw that writeup.  :rollin
Yeah I thought he was just going to wait a year to acknowledge it because it took me over a year to write it  :lol

Funny thing is, I even put the title of his Album in my thread title for a few days to make sure he saw it.  :loser:
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 09:22:46 AM by Puppies_On_Acid »
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Yeah I thought he was just going to wait a year to acknowledge it because it took me over a year to write it  :lol

Funny thing is, I even put the title of his Album in my thread title for a few days to make sure he saw it.  :loser:

OMG,  :facepalm:  I usually only look at the 'replies to your posts', and since I had only been lurking occasionally in here, I completely missed it.   :loser:  Is absolutely right.

Apparently reading is a skill I need to learn as well!  :blush 

Seeing this post has made my day.  Thanks mang.  I'm just pissed at myself for missing it 3 weeks ago!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
happy vlasto day jingle.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
 :lol :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later

I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni

:corn :corn

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Congrats Ariich!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Congrats Ariich!
Still can't believe my comeback in this roulette. :lol

I should put the scores and positions from each round into my spreadsheet to produce tracker graphs like in my own roulette, just to see how it looks.

EDIT: I went and did the rankings and yeah I was goddamn Lazarus.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 02:57:33 PM by ariich »

I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Lazariich!  :lol

Poor Stads/Tim/Lethean.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
I feel sorry for Cyril who looked like a sure bet for the EP final but ballsed up round 9.

And for Trainy of course, but not that sorry. :P

I be am boner inducing.