Author Topic: Puppies' Rush Roulette V.3 (Ultimate Post-Roulette Mega Rundown!)  (Read 83596 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
"ballsed up" i knew cruel summer was probably gonna be a miss for puppies but i didn't have any EP planned anyways and kinda just said "well screw it this song's incredible idc"

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
It's okay Cyril we all fail sometimes
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Re: Puppies' Rush Roulette V.3 (Ultimate Post-Roulette Mega Rundown!)
« Reply #1542 on: October 04, 2020, 02:58:47 PM »
Fun things coming!

I like what Ariich has been doing in his last roulette thread, doing full discography listens of bands he was sent in the roulette, it's been interesting reading his discovery of artists that I am both familiar and unfamiliar with.

Well, I will be doing the same, but for all of the artists sent in all of my roulettes!.......why do I do this to myself......

Look for another post later today with the first artist I've done a full discography run through.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1543 on: October 04, 2020, 06:40:31 PM »
So first up, starting all the way back to my very first roulette, from the first round is........

Rivers of Nihil (sent by Train of Nought) - I immediately gave their Where Owls Know My Name album a listen after the roulette and thought it was rather good, but outside of the song The Silent Life, the rest didn't really blow me away. It was still good, with a few other songs that almost got to the highs of The Silent Life, like the title track (4/5). Their first album, A Conscious Seed of Light really feels like a band trying to find it's feet and their own identity. It's very Tech Death by numbers, but at least it's executed well. Just nothing special (3.5/5). My favorite album is their second album, Monarchy. It doesn't quite have the highs of WOKMN, but it is extremely enjoyable front to back. Plus it has much better atmosphere than the aforementioned album. It reminds me a little bit of Kardashev sometimes (4/5)
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1544 on: October 05, 2020, 03:15:08 AM »
Awesome, I'll be following this (although I didn't play in your first roulette so I won't have any vested interests for a little while!).

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Puppies' Rush Roulette V.3 (On the Verge of Collapse | WE HAVE A WINNER!)
« Reply #1545 on: October 05, 2020, 08:15:37 AM »
Pup, just curious since it was in the hangman, did you listen to Worldchanger at all?
I did. I still plan to do a little write up for that. And for the EP that TAC sent. At some point  :corn

:corn

« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 08:20:41 AM by The Walrus »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1546 on: October 05, 2020, 08:25:11 AM »
Well, how can I say no to that sad face.... :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1547 on: October 07, 2020, 05:14:30 PM »
Post Roulette Mega Rundown Update 2!

Teramaze (sent by Jingle.Boy) - Had a hard time finding the Doxology album. The production is pretty weak compared to all of their other albums. This album is definitely way more thrashy than the others too. An absolute product of the 90's trying to be 80's thrash. With better production this album could be so much better. Having said that, there is a lot to love here, and some stuff that falls completely flat. (3.5/5) Tears to Dust has better production, but is nowhere near as interesting musically. Nor is it as adventurous. I also feel the lyrics get a little too preachy. It's still not a bad album, but probably not one I will revisit. (3/5) With Anhedonia I still don't think the band has found their footing entirely. This may just be because this album came out after a 14 year hiatus. The band has shed a good deal of their Thrashiness on this album, becoming more Power-Prog. I just don't think I'm feeling this album very much, despite the clean production and general good sound to each instrument. (3/5) Esoteric Symbolism feels like a slightly more exciting version of Anhedonia, not much has really changed other than better songwriting. I feel more engaged with this, but not a ton. (3.5/5) Her Halo was my first exposure to Teramaze and it's a big step above all that came before it. The song-writing, the instrumentation, the vocals, etc all come together beautifully here and the album sounds great and is a fun listen. I still think they can improve though. (4/5) I think Are We Soldiers is generally more consistent across the board than their previous album, but it doesn't quite have the highs of said album either. Lots to like here though, even if it doesn't necessarily have a standout track like An Ordinary Dream (Enla Momento). (4/5)
aka Puppies_On_Acid