Author Topic: Favorite songs of the decade  (Read 17368 times)

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
Re: Favorite songs of the decade
« Reply #350 on: December 28, 2019, 04:31:37 PM »
30- Amorphis- Heart of Oak, 2018

Let me know where I can find this obscure B-side :P
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #351 on: December 28, 2019, 07:46:47 PM »
30- Amorphis- Heart of Oak, 2018

Let me know where I can find this obscure B-side :P

Oops :lolpalm: ...must've had Anciients' album on my mind and confused it with Heart of the Giant on the initial list...it was all copy paste after that.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #352 on: December 28, 2019, 11:21:48 PM »
#7 - Kingcrow - Phlegethon
https://youtu.be/mnReLt4F7VQ

Someone already brought this song up earlier in the thread.  Fantastic way to close out an incredible album.  For some reason, I haven't gone back to check out the band's material prior to this album, but it and everything going forward is great.

#6 - Riverside - Escalator Shrine
https://youtu.be/9QVextqpcnI

I have a lot of memories with this song - listening to it during good times and bad. And hearing it live and how all of the emotions in the song seemed to just come alive. Really their whole set was like that.  Riverside is a really really special band to me.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #353 on: December 28, 2019, 11:57:48 PM »
Both excellent tracks... I chose In Crescendo from Kingcrow, and I'd say either We Got Used to Us or Acid Rain would've gotten the nod from Riverside, but that's just comparing apples to apples, it's all good when it's got their names attached to it.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #354 on: December 29, 2019, 05:37:56 AM »
Riverside doesn't do it for me, but I think I'd put Phlegethon as my fave Kingcrow track.

On to 2018...

Ostura / Deathless

Thanks (once again) to RJ for sharing this one.  He knows my love for concept albums, and this is another gem.  Prog-metal goodness with middle eastern vibes (naturally, since the band is Lebanese), and some A-List (in the world of prog) guests on this album - Arjen, Thomas Lang (drums) and Marco Sfogli (guitars).  The chorus here particularly has some very personal lyrics to me  - though I suspect the metaphor is meant differently than how it hit me.

Rise up we're the brave
Don't live a life of a slave
As darkness shrouds the day
We build a life in shade
We are the ones betrayed
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #355 on: December 29, 2019, 08:55:13 AM »
No arguments on that one.

And from me...

#3 Steven Wilson- The Raven that Refused to Sing, 2013

A subtle yet very dark tale of death and mortality. The story of an older guy at the tail end of his natural life, who because of the death of a sister during childhood has been at a disconnect with the rest of humanity. How Wilson is able to convey all of this in this achingly sad yet beautiful song is beyond me. To top it off, it is paired with what is easily the most beautiful music video I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4XevlloPY4

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #356 on: December 29, 2019, 09:17:32 AM »
Steven Wilson music always reminds me of this meme.

Listening to this - and watching the video - absolutely reaffirms this. His music is just too melancholically gloomy for me. For me, it's never a good thing to be in the mood for this kind of music.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #357 on: December 29, 2019, 09:17:46 AM »
No.  8:    "Deep Peace", Devin Townsend

Maybe you're referring to a live version, but that was originally on his 2001 album Terria. Just sayin'!

Yes; from the London show.  It was the song that almost single-handedly opened my eyes to Devin.   I had the Steve Van record and HATED it. HATED it.  And since I love Vai, I blamed it on that weird troll-looking dude who embarrassed himself on the Letterman show (I think it was Letterman).    Then I read his autobiography and got Deep Peace in a roulette and it opened doors.   I even went back to the Vai record and like it now.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #358 on: December 29, 2019, 09:57:30 AM »
No. 4:  "Save Me", by Black Country Communion

The best parts of the various roots of the band (it's a great, if not very derivative, band for me).

No. 3: "...And Then", by David Gilmour

Everything you need to know about David Gilmour.  The man still has it.  There's a version on the Live At Pompeii blu-ray of "5 AM" and "...And Then" (two instrumentals from Rattle That Lock) edited together that is pretty cool. 

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #359 on: December 29, 2019, 11:29:24 AM »
No arguments on that one.

And from me...

#3 Steven Wilson- The Raven that Refused to Sing, 2013

A subtle yet very dark tale of death and mortality. The story of an older guy at the tail end of his natural life, who because of the death of a sister during childhood has been at a disconnect with the rest of humanity. How Wilson is able to convey all of this in this achingly sad yet beautiful song is beyond me. To top it off, it is paired with what is easily the most beautiful music video I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4XevlloPY4

This song and Routine are modern masterpieces. As I said on FB, I saw The Raven live three times, and all the time I stood there with my eyes wet. Fuck SW and fuck that Raven song. This is the pinnacle of prog music for me. Simple, yet effective.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #360 on: December 29, 2019, 12:12:18 PM »
Both excellent tracks... I chose In Crescendo from Kingcrow, and I'd say either We Got Used to Us or Acid Rain would've gotten the nod from Riverside, but that's just comparing apples to apples, it's all good when it's got their names attached to it.

Totally agree.   :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #361 on: December 29, 2019, 01:55:17 PM »
Top 3!!

3. Glass Mind-Your Name In Silence-2011

Prog metal from Mexico. Their 2011 album Haunting Regrets is spectacular. Your Name In Silence is a masterpiece. Great musical parts with some really nice piano throughout. The vocals are a bit goofy. Not sure how talented the guy really is, but he is certainly passionate, and with music like this, that's all he needs to be.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #362 on: December 29, 2019, 03:32:57 PM »
Awesome album. Made the top 10 of the decade. Too bad everything after it was rather mediocre.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #363 on: December 29, 2019, 03:54:28 PM »
Yeah, basically one and done, but damn, that's an amazing album and one of the best songs I've ever heard.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #364 on: December 30, 2019, 05:02:01 AM »
Second to last entry ....

Mystery / How Do You Feel?

Between Ostura (the album and aforementioned song) and this song (and the album it's from), they were both my 1a and 1b Albums and Songs of the year from 2018.  I really liked this song, but then seeing it at ProgStock, with the intro from vocalist Jean Pageau that it was written and dedicated to a dear friend of theirs who is fighting cancer  .... well, it got me right in the feels.  I have a very good friend whose fought (and winning) against cancer, but has had years of tertiary medical problems as a result. Every time I hear this song, I think of her, her husband (my longest standing friend), and their two girls.  Chokes me up every single time.  Guitarist Michel St. Pere can make six strings exude more emotion than most vocalists can with their words.

This one is for Loriann.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #365 on: December 30, 2019, 07:00:42 AM »
 :heart :heart

And of course...

#2 IQ- Until the End, 2014

Tough to pick a single track from my favorite band, especially with the monstrous double album they released this year, but I think this one from The Road of Bones got the most play time, and best represents everything I love about IQ. It has the drama, the highs and lows, the insanely brilliant instrumental work from the whole band, and the gut wrenching emotional outro. And of course, the perfect vocal work by Peter Nichols.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjBXmZPeAjA

Offline Lethean

« Reply #366 on: December 30, 2019, 10:53:46 AM »
#5 - Angra - Lease of Life
https://youtu.be/K3D_ENwGXrI

A beautiful ballad makes an appearance on the list.  I played Aqua a million times when it came out and played this track just a little extra.  Plus I like the video. :)

#4 - Threshold - Snowblind
https://youtu.be/TJloJMkaJDM

So, every track off Legends of the Shires has the exact same number of plays.  Obviously this is a full album listening experience for me.  I chose Snowblind because it was one of my early favorites - probably the first track to really take hold.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #367 on: December 30, 2019, 01:38:14 PM »
2. Iron Maiden -The Talisman -2010

This is my favorite Reunion Era song, and album for that matter.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #368 on: December 30, 2019, 02:15:53 PM »
2. Iron Maiden -The Talisman -2010

This is my favorite Reunion Era song, and album for that matter.

This song would make my top 30 of the decade too.  Janick nailed this one and Bruce's one take effort is top tier.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #369 on: December 30, 2019, 02:23:23 PM »
Angra - War Horns

My favorite song of 2018. Pure power metal. Awesome lyrics, awesome vibe, kickass solos and stellar vocals from Fabio

Eternity's End - Under Crimson Moonlight

Straight-up blistering power metal that proves the genre still has some bands with some hunger and fire in their bellies. I counted this album on my 2019 releases but I'm cheating by putting this one here because technically it was also released at the very end of 2018 in Japan
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #370 on: December 30, 2019, 03:06:25 PM »
Well, since there's a one band per entry rule, I can finally start my list as I only listen to two bands. (I'll try out Haken one day, but generally speaking, I like sticking to what I'm comfortable with.)

Between the Buried and Me - Voice of Trespass
https://youtu.be/Ja0EWloqsKo

This song is half of the reason I ever got into this band (the other half is The Coma Machine)! I've listened to all their discography (except the self-titled) and this song still remains my favorite song ever from Between the Buried and Me. My favorite aspect of the band is when they do really weird and unexpected stuff, and having that as the primary focus for over half the song worked so well.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #371 on: December 30, 2019, 03:16:46 PM »
I got a lot to listen to tomorrow morning!

Road of Bones - I didn't really take to it for a long time... probably not until leading up to ProgStock and doing a lot of IQ prep.  I couldn't pick this song off the top of my head, so I'll have to refresh my memory.
Angra (Katt's) - I rate Aqua fairly low (sue me), so I'll need to revisit this one as well
Threshold - LotS is an amazing album, though I wouldn't pick this one out as one of the top 5 for my tastes
Maiden - really had trouble with the '10s albums.  Don't know why, they just never really impressed me.
Angra (Katt's) - I haven't spun Omni as much as I should.  Excellent album, but a bit inconsistent.
Eternity's End - Upon yours and Tim's recommendation, I gave this a spin and found it pretty good - but can't say I was wow'd.  I wasn't too keen on their 2016 album (despite having Ian Parry on the vox - who I really like).

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #372 on: December 30, 2019, 03:23:08 PM »
I would never share anything off Aqua because that album is so bad I stopped following the band for years after it came out.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #373 on: December 30, 2019, 05:04:42 PM »
Jingle, the track from Aqua is a ballad, which could be a good thing if you didn't like the heavier tracks on that album.  Or you might not like that one either, but it's worth a shot. :)

I love Aqua, and have met a fair amount of others who do as well, but I know that in general it's not one of their more popular albums.

Omni is totally brilliant, so if you didn't give that one a lot of listens, I highly encourage revisiting it along with Aqua.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #374 on: December 30, 2019, 09:29:44 PM »
Well, since there's a one band per entry rule, I can finally start my list as I only listen to two bands. (I'll try out Haken one day, but generally speaking, I like sticking to what I'm comfortable with.)

Between the Buried and Me - Voice of Trespass
https://youtu.be/Ja0EWloqsKo

This song is half of the reason I ever got into this band (the other half is The Coma Machine)! I've listened to all their discography (except the self-titled) and this song still remains my favorite song ever from Between the Buried and Me. My favorite aspect of the band is when they do really weird and unexpected stuff, and having that as the primary focus for over half the song worked so well.

Yup...brilliant song. Really, really was blown away by what they did on this one. I got into them when they put out Coma, but this track pushed them to eleven, and made me further appreciate their other work. A well earned spot on my list.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #375 on: December 30, 2019, 10:21:46 PM »
Sure why not.

#1. Swans - Frankie M
#2. Symphony X - When All Is Lost
#3. Dream Theater - At Wit's End
#4. DragonForce - The Edge Of The World
#5. Linkin Park - The Catalyst
#6. Yes - Into The Storm
#7. The Dear Hunter - A Beginning
#8. King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Crumbling Castle
#9. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Bosses Hang
10. Mastodon - The Sparrow
11. Avenged Sevenfold - Exist
12. The Offspring - Slim Pickens Does The Right Thing & Rides The Bomb To Hell (yes, really :P)
13. Metallica - Spit Out The Bone
14. Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls (title track)
15. Ayreon - The Day That The World Breaks Down

Don't take this too seriously. This is just off the top of my head, but I do love all 15 of these songs. :D
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #376 on: December 31, 2019, 03:24:35 AM »
Jingle, the track from Aqua is a ballad, which could be a good thing if you didn't like the heavier tracks on that album.  Or you might not like that one either, but it's worth a shot. :)

I love Aqua, and have met a fair amount of others who do as well, but I know that in general it's not one of their more popular albums.

Omni is totally brilliant, so if you didn't give that one a lot of listens, I highly encourage revisiting it along with Aqua.

Secret Garden >>> Omni.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #377 on: December 31, 2019, 04:58:59 AM »
:iagree:

Before I get to my last entry, I have to put in my honorable mentions.  Songs that are top-shelf material that I just honestly am amazed I can't call them 'top 31' of the decade.  Again, just in chronological order.

Kingcrow / Plegathon
Soul Secret / Behind the Curtain
Affector / Harmageddon
Rush / The Garden
Absolute Priority / Dead Man Walkin
Mindmaze / This Holy War
Serenity / Legacy of Tudors
Maestrick / Lake of Emotions
Triosphere / The Heart's Dominion
Arion / Seven
Serious Black / Akhenaton
Transatlantic / Black as the Sky
Damnations Day / To Begin Again
The Nightflight Orchestra / Space Whisperer
Kepler Ten / Swallowtail

And of course, the ones that would've been Top 31, but I recently mentioned them in my Top Roulette songs thread:
Epysode / Obsessions
Glass Mind / Crepsuculum Vehementis
Stratovarious / Nemesis
The Chronicles Project / Forever

And then there are others that would be double-dipping on the artists (from Avantasia, Lords of Black, Mystery and a few others)

So much great music.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #378 on: December 31, 2019, 05:52:39 AM »
And here we go....

#1 HAKEN- Crystallised, 2014

No band has made more of an impact on me this decade, and this song far surpassed all their others. Haken was relentless in the 2010's, releasing 5 brilliant albums and squeaking in an EP in 2014, with this gem off it. Clocking in at a very quick 19+ minutes, it has everything I need in music. Quirky yet furious instrumental work throughout, the killer vocals of Ross Jennings, an emotionally charged lyrical theme throughout, and an unparalleled epic finish. When my Spotify decade in review came through, this was my most listened to song for '17, '18, and '19, and well worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAY_84q5WAs

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #379 on: December 31, 2019, 06:26:00 AM »
A handful of Honorable mentions. I forgot the Helloween when I put together my list. It would've made the Top 20.

Honorable Mentions:

Helloween-Pumpkins United-2017
Redemption-Departure Of The Palehorse-2011
Flotsam & Jetsam-Life Is A Mess-2016
Michael Schenker Group-Horizons-2013
Fractal Cypher- The Grandeur Of It All-2018

31. Van Halen-Honeybabysweetiedoll-2012
30. Mask Of Prospero-This Road Leads to Desolation-2018
29. Armored Saint-Up Yours-2016
28. Golden Resurection-See My Commands-2010
27. Riot V-Until We Meet Again-2014
26. Testament-Throne Of Thorns-2012
25. Structural Disorder-The Architect Of the Skies-2018
24. Motorhead-When The Sky Comes Looking For You-2015
23. Witherfall-Vintage-2018
22. Lor-Eidolon-2017
21. Thoughts Factory-The Mire-2014
20. Illyria-Autumn Fades Away-2019
19. Odd Dimension-Far From Desire-2013
18. Judas Priest-Trators Gate-2018
17. Fates Warning-The Light And Shade Of Things-2016
16. Loch Vostock-Expiry Date On the Soul Of Man-2017
15. Metallica-Halo On Fire-2016
14. Enbound-Combined The Souls-2011
13. Teramaze-Delusions Of Grandeur-2015
12. Euphoreon-Mirrors-2018
11. Lords Of The Trident-Shattered Skies-2015
10.Tribulation-Nightbound-2018
9. Blaze Bayley-P&T Suite -2010
8. Avantasia-Savior In The Clockwork-2016
7. Lost Domain-Silent Cry-2018
6. Seven Sisters-The Silk Road-2016
5. Unisonic-Night Of The Long Knives-2014
4. Theocracy-Easter-2016
3. Glass Mind-Your Name In Silence-2011
2. Iron Maiden-The Talisman-2010

1. Dream Theater-Breaking All Illusions

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #380 on: December 31, 2019, 07:22:47 AM »
Sorry for this but 2019 turned out to be possibly my favorite year of music all decade...

Twilight Force - Long Live the King
From my favorite record of the year, this one is a jaunty, lively, merry number celebrating the reign of the dragonking. Long may he live! (the solo section sounds like it was inspired by the Gangplank Galleon music from Donkey Kong Country)

The rest are all surprise favorites from my recent 2019 binge...

Disillusion - The Mountain
Awe-inspiring in its beauty. Wasn't expecting this level of measured, musical brilliance from what it is otherwise a heavy af album. This is heavy, too, but wait for that soft part when the horns come in... oh my

The Comet Is Coming - Timewave Zero
romdrums I believe sent me a song from this album in my last roulette and it tickled my fancy, so I checked out the whole thing, and it's one of my favorites of the year. This song especially - it steadily ratchets up the tension and chaos. Alien cocaine party music

Illyria - The Carpathian Summit
I don't even know how to describe this, just listen to it, it blew my fucking mind

IQ - For Another Lifetime
I love this band and this is my favorite song on the new record. It's 15 minutes long but there are a lot of very interesting and effective musical choices made on this track that make it my favorite.

Majestica - Night Call Girl
The AOR number on an otherwise speedy power metal record. This music is shiny.

Taylor Swift - Paper Rings
The new T-Swift record rules. This song has that fun upbeat almost Simon & Garfunkel style cheer to it, and I just think it's really fun and positive

Wilderun - Far From Where Dreams Unfurl
Holy. Shit.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #381 on: December 31, 2019, 07:23:53 AM »
My wife bought the new Taylor Swift on vinyl, I'm going to give it a spin a couple of days. Everyone has been raving about that album.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #382 on: December 31, 2019, 07:27:48 AM »
My wife bought the new Taylor Swift on vinyl, I'm going to give it a spin a couple of days. Everyone has been raving about that album.

I think it's a really good pop album, although the one thing that does rub me the wrong way is how she still sings about high school stuff. Otherwise, no nitpicks, I think it's wonderful, and I envy you because I think that album cover is wonderfully put together and I'd love to own that on vinyl myself.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #383 on: December 31, 2019, 07:29:44 AM »
It's a cool looking vinyl, one lp is blue and the other is pink. As far as singing about high school stuff I don't think it bothers me that much personally. So many artists find a pocket they are comfortable writing about and stick to it. Hell look at Roger Waters, he has been signing about ww2 and Margaret Thatcher for ages.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #384 on: December 31, 2019, 07:30:17 AM »
Damn, that's a good point  :lol