Author Topic: Favorite songs of the decade  (Read 17094 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Favorite songs of the decade
« Reply #245 on: December 19, 2019, 08:32:07 PM »
Alright update time:

15. Acoustic Labs - Desert Walk - When I discovered Acoustic Labs I really dived in. I couldn't stop listening to him for months and this song, while being one of the more simple songs, really stuck with me. It just drudges along and I don't know why but I really like this song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrN0pisA6bM

14. Toska - Illumo - If Joe Satriani decided to do a moody melodramatic album you'd get Toska. Toska is a three-piece from England and you may know Rabea Massaad (guitar) from a bunch of youtube videos for Andertons TV, or for doing the guest spot for the Africa metal cover by Frog Leap. He is a phenomenal guitar player and writes some of the most original and catchy riffs that I've heard in a long time so it's no surprise that this album is end to end riffs. Ode to Author is the album that this song is from so if you're a fan of this check out the rest of the EP, it's short and great end to end https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EUS1bsiPec

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #246 on: December 20, 2019, 12:48:06 AM »
Gonna get this one out of the way before bed...

#12 Voices From The Fuselage- Meteorites, 2016

From a brilliant album comes a dynamic emotional track that has everything, all packed in a tight 7 minute package. Carried by a brilliant vocal performance, with myriad genres slipping in and out all through the song, this mini-epic is as good as they come.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUmGrQkc0Zw

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #247 on: December 20, 2019, 06:30:14 AM »
Voices From the Fueslage ... just a little to technical, and prog for the sake of prog.  It's a nice listen (the album), but not something that hooked me.

Anathema... what a sombre opening.  I've given Anathema a go a number of times, and while I always enjoy them, I just don't find it to be 'must-listen-to' music.

Heavy Devy ... is also hit and miss for me.  I can only take the wall-of-sound style for so long.  This was a good tune (as RJ said... the AVG effect).

And here's an oddball selection from me today

W.A.S.P. / Hero of the Day World*

Thought I'd go a little off script as this wouldn't actually be in my Top 31, but this was a Top 5 song-of-the-year for 2015.  I wasn't in to W.A.S.P. back in the day, but Kade fixed me up in my 3rd Roulette.  I then got their classic albums, as well as some of their newer releases from this century.  While Blackie has lost it live, he (and the rest of the band) sounded great in the studio from 2015.  This is the closing track, and is catchy af.

*Protip... finish the first cup of coffee before posting.  Not sure why I had Metallica on the mind?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 08:48:03 AM by jingle.boy »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #248 on: December 20, 2019, 07:38:59 AM »
  While Blackie has lost it live,

He sounds fantastic "live"  :)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #249 on: December 20, 2019, 08:27:01 AM »
Hero of the *World I believe is a song you sent me in my roulette from last year/start of this year, Chad. That song freaking rules. He has a very Hansi Kursch-like sound to his voice which is a big plus to me and the tension and resolution in the vocal melody is fan-freaking-tastic, and that hook even moreso. :2metal:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #250 on: December 20, 2019, 08:48:36 AM »
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #251 on: December 20, 2019, 10:52:25 AM »
Mine also from left field (and another honoring an artist more than the song):

No. 12:  When It Rains It Pours - Luke Combs

I am more of a country fan than most, but I'm an outlaw country guy (Hank, Jr., Waylon, Kris Kristofferson).  There's a lot of similarity between those guys and the rock/metal I listen to.  Most of the Metallica ballads, for example, owe a lot to outlaw country (I even have a version of Waylon's "Don't You Think This Outlaw Bit's Done Got Out Of Hand" done by Het that's awesome).   I kind of hate the more current "commercial" country.   The one exception is Luke Combs.  His voice is like smooth whiskey to me, and this is a good example of that.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #252 on: December 20, 2019, 12:46:48 PM »
2013... avoided some obvious band picks.

Monica Heldal - Follow You Anywhere

I love this girl's voice and she's a really good guitarist, too. This whole album has this gloomy autumn vibe to it, but it has some cheerful moments in there too. This is my favorite song on the album. She has such a cool vibe and her voice is lovely. One of my favorite discoveries of the last few years.

Helloween - Burning Sun

"Straight Out Of Hell" is a very inconsistent Helloween album (change the record, right?) but this song rips and shows them at their best moments in the later era. It's power metal with balls and a huge hook and Andi sounds like a demon.

Daft Punk - Fragments of Time

Smooth as butter and full of swagger. This album brilliantly blends pop and funk and disco and electronica into something that's nothing short of genius. Fragments of Time is a really groovy track you can bob your head to.

Arctic Monkeys - I Wanna Be Yours

This song's lyrics actually come from a poem by John Cooper Clarke from 1982. The guitar is aquatic and distant, and the song as a whole is dark and sedated. On an album where every track is a home run, this one still stands out to me. Great lyrics.

Eminem - Bad Guy

Perfect lyrical delivery, flow smooth as butter, a sequel to his massive hit "Stan" and the lyrics are like poetry. The coda is simply EPIC. Wordplay and imagery = on point.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #253 on: December 20, 2019, 04:13:09 PM »
12. Euphoreon-Mirrors-2018

Really great album from 2018 Ends Of the Earth, Mirrors is an amazing song that represents how great this album is. It's really melodic with jboydontbother vocals.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #254 on: December 20, 2019, 04:17:30 PM »

Really great album from 2018 Ends Of the Earth, Mirrors is an amazing song that represents how great this album is. It's really melodic with jboydontbother vocals.

:rollin

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #255 on: December 20, 2019, 06:34:52 PM »
RJ, check that tune out, man.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #256 on: December 20, 2019, 07:13:05 PM »
Oh, and because the lyrics to Mirrors are so awesome.

If we can’t accept the reasons why
We’re out of touch and cast aside
Just a limitless expedition
Through the grand illusion of reality
Losing my balance on the edge of desperation
Aspirations I abandoned slowly return
Consequence for existence
How can I find the way to deliverance

Eternal suffering within
The rise and fall of a tortured mind
Thinking what could have been
Is the death of everything
A strange anomaly
Was it all just a dream
Looking back through
The mirrors of tragedy
The challenge ahead of me
Join me on the journey
As we race to infinity

Take me back to the days when I felt alive
Living with regrets that I can’t deny
I’m crushed by the weight for eternity
To the point where I lost belief
It all went wrong and integrity disappeared
Those days are gone and there’s nothing left to lose
Turn the page and write something new
It’s the only way to truly exist

If the wheels fall off and you spiral out of control
Will you find the strength to go alone
Fallen paradise lays forgotten
Torn apart by arrogance and corruption
I don’t want to repeat the failures
Mistakes I wish I could change
Everything you do will come back to you
When dreams will come true

Don’t know when I lost my way
Don’t know where I’ll find the faith
But we all go down in a sea of flames
That’s all she wrote for me
Running away from the truth until it’s nothing but a distant memory
It’s just a fragment of my imagination
The last step in my recovery

Eternal suffering within
The rise and fall of a tortured mind
Thinking what could have been
Is the death of everything
The darkness and light
The screams of innocence
The thorns will follow me
Back to reality
The past can’t haunt me
I’m desperately holding on to the last strings of my sanity

I’m nothing but a spark in history
For many years I wandered aimlessly
To the stars we’ll make it another day
For the future’s shrouded in mystery

Take me back to the place where I felt alive
Living with regrets that I can’t deny
I’m crushed by the weight for eternity
To the point where I lost belief
In the end we’re just preparing for death
The day the when the light returns to you
Fight or flight
Dark or light
That day I was never the same again

I’m a scapegoat for an illogical system
Paid the price for a lack of defiance
Walking through the shards of broken glass
It’s a death by a thousand cuts
Reflecting myself in the mirror won't become any easier
As I crash into the wall
You're the one to wake me up

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #257 on: December 20, 2019, 07:24:28 PM »
RJ, check that tune out, man.

I did, quality stuff, but the growls were a bit on the weird side... Sounded like I imagine I sound when u try to growl if that makes any sense.  :sadpanda:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #258 on: December 20, 2019, 07:27:22 PM »
Yeah, they are strange. :lol

I prefer Black Metal vocals to Death Metal vocals, and I still don't care for Screamo. But these are definitely unique, but the music is so undeniable, it still works for me.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #259 on: December 20, 2019, 09:23:20 PM »
Musically it's off the charts for sure.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #260 on: December 20, 2019, 09:50:42 PM »

This song is fucking incredible.  The whole album is wonderful.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #261 on: December 20, 2019, 09:53:52 PM »
W.A.S.P. / Hero of the Day World*

Thought I'd go a little off script as this wouldn't actually be in my Top 31, but this was a Top 5 song-of-the-year for 2015.  I wasn't in to W.A.S.P. back in the day, but Kade fixed me up in my 3rd Roulette.  I then got their classic albums, as well as some of their newer releases from this century.  While Blackie has lost it live, he (and the rest of the band) sounded great in the studio from 2015.  This is the closing track, and is catchy af.

Not to nitpick, but I will, this isn't the closing track.  This is the second last track and the title track is the closing track.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #262 on: December 20, 2019, 10:39:19 PM »

#15 - ICS Vortex - Flaskeskipper
https://youtu.be/HUSGyaCMJ_Y

This is a short and simple song, and I really like the vocals. I think his solo album as a whole is really quite good and I would love to hear a follow-up.

#14 - Subsignal - Everything is Lost
https://youtu.be/l5iRYcaEps4

This band totally rules. I'm so happy that they came to progpower this year because they put on an incredible set. I think just about everything they do is excellent. You really can't go wrong with any of their albums. I suppose but the album this track is off of, Beacons, is probably my favorite, but every last one of them is great.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #263 on: December 21, 2019, 04:37:44 AM »
Second batch:

Fates Warning - From the Rooftops (2016)
It's amazing how fresh they still sound in their fourth decade of operation.

PMMP - Rakkaalleni (2012)
Finnish synthpop, I'm including it because it is probably the most emotional and heartwrenching pop song I've heard this decade.

David Bowie - Blackstar (2015)
A compelling masterpiece.

Lindemann - Praise Abort (2015)
Supremely catchy, I'm singing out the chorus way too often. :lol Maybe this is a bit of a joke song, but Till sells it and I love its dark sense of humour.

Royal Blood - Out of the Black (2014)
Who needs a guitarist anyway? Yeah, that's all bass. Dark and punishing alt rock with amazing riffs throughout.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #264 on: December 21, 2019, 05:23:55 AM »
I never thought I'd see Blackstar and Praise abort on the same list. But then again, I love both as well.  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #265 on: December 21, 2019, 05:54:03 AM »

thanksforthetipiwont

If there's 0% chance of comprehending the lyrics without the sheet, I just don't see the point.  That's just me... again, there are sooooooo many songs/albums that are fantastic - all elements - I simply don't understand the point of regularly going to music that has something that is "weird".

:dunno:

@Lethean... you sure can't go wrong with anything from Subsignal.  I'd probably rank Beacons as my least favorite Subsignal though.

Moving on to 2016 - which has the most entries on this list.  I'm going to forgo one (Light and Shade of Things) because it's already been mentioned.  That'll give me room to squeeze in another (slightly) oddball pick from 2017.  But for today ....

Lords of Black / Ghost of You

This was my #2 song of the year for '16 (Avantasia took the top spot). I just don't have enough superlatives to throw at this tune  Structurally and compositionally, this ticks all the boxes of what scratches my musical itch - slow / accoustic start; killer riffs; variation of pace; gorgeous soloing; melodic, heavy, and proggy all at the same time; and dat voice.  Lords of Black (could've been this album) was my introduction to Ronnie Romero - who is a god-tier vocalist for me.  He could sing the phone book and I'd swoon.  I've used this one in roulettes as frequently as I can, and I don't believe it's ever not scored well.  In fact, I remember Cool Chris instantly sent me this:

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #266 on: December 21, 2019, 07:53:38 AM »
#11 Ostura- Let There Be, 2018

Coming from an album that was the decade's closest to being a unanimous Album of the Year from my musical circles, this blend of power/prog metal and classical brought out a sound so unique, beautiful, and just plain huge that it took us all by storm. This specific track, for me, really lays out the tremendous power of what Ostura pulled off here, and it's simply perfection....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Blme2iqre4&list=PL1sHD5gmgwBJYOQvdFZeOHM85n7pf6Ls7&index=4

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #267 on: December 21, 2019, 09:01:41 AM »
Add another to the list of "thanks RJ". Serious thanks ... not in the "thanks Obama" kinda way.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #268 on: December 21, 2019, 09:04:50 AM »
The Room is so hyped here, I expected Beyond the Bridge level of greatness. Honestly I'm still not sold on this album, it's an alright prog metal but nothing more.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #269 on: December 21, 2019, 09:55:12 AM »
Jingle, Beacons was probably my least favorite as well for a while.  I didn't listen to it a lot right away.  But over time it really grew on me and now I think it has a slight edge over the others. 

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #270 on: December 21, 2019, 11:15:30 AM »
Disillusion - ALEA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isWusjdhrDs

One of the 2010's most Epic Metal tunes.  :metal :metal :metal

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #271 on: December 21, 2019, 03:31:27 PM »
The Room is so hyped here, I expected Beyond the Bridge level of greatness. Honestly I'm still not sold on this album, it's an alright prog metal but nothing more.

I was underwhelmed when I sampled it originally but just revisited based on RJs post (a few songs all the way through) and enjoyed it far more and will now get into it properly.  I don't think it's going to be Album of 2018 or anything but I think it might be one that takes a few good listens to grow.

One of the issues of trying to be across "everything" is that on the odd occasion you just sample the wrong track/s and in this case it looks like I might've.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 03:36:31 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #272 on: December 21, 2019, 04:26:46 PM »
11. Lords Of The Trident-Shattered Skies-2015

I discovered them with their 2015 album Frostburn. They are fucking goofy looking and cheesy, but I find their brand of power metal very easy on the ears. As much as a pud as the singer looks, the dude has some pipes. The follow up, 2018's Shadows Of the past was one of my favorite 2018 albums. Just as Frostburn was in 2015.
This song has a great chorus.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #273 on: December 21, 2019, 10:42:16 PM »
Dream the Electric Sleep - Elizabeth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wAR5KdMJx8

epic tune.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #274 on: December 21, 2019, 10:52:20 PM »
#11 Ostura- Let There Be, 2018

Coming from an album that was the decade's closest to being a unanimous Album of the Year from my musical circles, this blend of power/prog metal and classical brought out a sound so unique, beautiful, and just plain huge that it took us all by storm. This specific track, for me, really lays out the tremendous power of what Ostura pulled off here, and it's simply perfection....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Blme2iqre4&list=PL1sHD5gmgwBJYOQvdFZeOHM85n7pf6Ls7&index=4
Great pick from a fantastic album.  :tup :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #275 on: December 22, 2019, 01:12:54 AM »
#10 Allegaeon- Tsunami and Submergence, 2019

Off of what would've been the runaway album of the year for me if it wasn't for a certain favorite band of mine releasing a double album, this track is....how shall I say it....fucking insane. Killer clean and growl vox fronting a tech death metal masterpiece. On my Spotify year end update, this album represented songs 2-11 of my most listened to, and I don't think that would've changed if I solely listened to IQ there. They saw a great, great deal of my time, and it was all well deserved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmmJzvvI1g4

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #276 on: December 22, 2019, 03:57:41 AM »
11. Lords Of The Trident-Shattered Skies-2015

I discovered them with their 2015 album Frostburn. They are fucking goofy looking and cheesy, but I find their brand of power metal very easy on the ears. As much as a pud as the singer looks, the dude has some pipes. The follow up, 2018's Shadows Of the past was one of my favorite 2018 albums. Just as Frostburn was in 2015.
This song has a great chorus.

This was really good.  Very smooth.  Reminds me a bit of Grand Magus.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #277 on: December 22, 2019, 07:39:12 AM »
#10 Allegaeon- Tsunami and Submergence, 2019

Off of what would've been the runaway album of the year for me if it wasn't for a certain favorite band of mine releasing a double album, this track is....how shall I say it....fucking insane. Killer clean and growl vox fronting a tech death metal masterpiece. On my Spotify year end update, this album represented songs 2-11 of my most listened to, and I don't think that would've changed if I solely listened to IQ there. They saw a great, great deal of my time, and it was all well deserved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmmJzvvI1g4

Oh wow! You know I just checked this album out last night, and most people would bet it is NOT my cup of tea, but I can't stop thinking about it. Great album. This song in particular took me by surprise. Awesome song!!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #278 on: December 22, 2019, 07:48:00 AM »
Fuck yeah!!! They're really a great band, they're whole discography is solid, but Apoptosis they bring in just a touch of proggy to really smooth out he tech edges of their earlier efforts.

@Tim- I ended up spinning that whole Lord's of the Trident album, killer stuff man.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #279 on: December 22, 2019, 10:35:35 AM »
Cool! Yeah they are fucking goofy looking but they are really easy on the ears.