Author Topic: ariich’s roulette 5.0 – The End (again (the actual end this time (really)))  (Read 59062 times)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: ariich’s roulette 5.0 – Heroes & Villains (Round 4 stats & hints)
« Reply #735 on: September 27, 2019, 04:49:46 PM »
I'm so fucked  :lol
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #736 on: September 27, 2019, 04:51:14 PM »
I'm so fucked  :lol
Without wanting to spoil the results, things did go a little downhill for you after round 1. :P

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #737 on: September 27, 2019, 04:53:19 PM »
honestly i'd be surprised if i didn't get an 8 based on the stats bcuz my last two were both 7.5's and round 3 was up from round 2, so i dunno how much higher i could even go in the 7.5 range now  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #738 on: September 27, 2019, 05:37:16 PM »
my greatest hits is already ready & i just verified i'm happy with the track order early today
it's actually like 6 seconds over 70 minutes though so i think i'm gonna get banned from DTF

:lol :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #739 on: September 27, 2019, 07:15:38 PM »
Oh, right.....greatest hits round....let me get my darts and dart board.... :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #740 on: September 27, 2019, 09:38:13 PM »
Are you fine with me sending a single file for the greatest hits round? I am making some minor edits to alleviate any jarring cuts from one track to the next.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #741 on: September 27, 2019, 10:02:43 PM »
i, on the other hand, am just sending a spotify playlist 'cause i'm lazy. tbh i was lazy with this greatest hits but only because it's too obvious and easy to make

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #742 on: September 28, 2019, 12:52:41 AM »
Not fussed about format. Spotify playlist is fine, set of mp3s is fine and single file is fine.

Same applies to the concept album for those who make it there.

I be am boner inducing.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #743 on: September 28, 2019, 12:55:39 AM »
:metardica:
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich’s roulette 5.0 – Heroes & Villains (Round 4 RESULTS)
« Reply #744 on: September 28, 2019, 04:49:09 AM »
ROUND 4 RESULTS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomi
Wishbone Ash – Argus (1972)

First impression: A nice discovery.

Final opinion: This really crept up on me. I mean, I very much liked it on first listen, but I didn’t at all think it was a possible round winner. I’ve heard of Wishbone Ash, of course, but I’m not sure I’ve ever listened to anything of theirs. So what a fantastic discovery for me! I enjoyed the 70s prog vibe right from the start, but it was only on my third listen that I realised just how much I was loving the whole album. There’s a nice mix of influences from earlier bands (I definitely hear some Beatles in there) along with styles and ideas that were clearly new at the time and influenced bands that came later. It’s also really accessible - there’s proggy stuff sure, but it’s all pretty restrained and there’s such a focus on melody that sits really well with me.
Rating: 8.5/10
Score: 10 + 1 bonus = 11 points

Luoto
Chaos Divine – The Human Connection (2011)

First impression: Rather exciting prog.

Final opinion: I thought this would probably be the round winner until right at the end when it was just pipped to the top spot. I’ve seen them mentioned before, but never heard them and didn’t know anything about them until now. My album roulettes are proving great for discovering Australian prog metal bands I was only vaguely aware of (Caligula’s Horse the first time, Voyager last time and now these guys this time). I like pretty much everything about this - it’s exciting, heavy, has good riffs, great tunes, top notch performances and strong production. Right from the first song, the blend of harsh vocals, strong melodies and a generally proggy sound works so well and had me pretty hooked. The album is nicely varied and balanced too, but always pretty consistent in style.
Score: 9.5 + 1 bonus = 10.5 points

Katt
Shattered Skies – The World We Used to Know (2015)

First impression: Cool guitar work.

Final opinion: The guitars on this album really are very cool and stood out to me on first listen. My main reflection on this album is that it highlights how much a lot of music benefits from good vocal lines. If you took the vocals out, I think this would sound so much like a lot of instrumental djent bands that I’d likely never rate above a 7. But the general style here - which has some fantastic groove by the way - combined with slick and enjoyable guitar playing and some strong vocal melodies ends up more than the sum of its parts. And that’s another thing that stands out to me too, the groove. The riffs in songs like 15 Minutes and Saviors get me grinning like a goon. The only slight downpoint is that the production isn’t the strongest, but otherwise this is a great album.
Rating: 8/10
Score: 8.5 + 1 bonus = 9.5 points

Cyril
Irreversible Mechanism – Immersion (2018)

First impression: Intense, atmospheric, engaging.

Final opinion: Your attempts to send me tech death have finally achieved an 8/10! I’ve always liked what you’ve sent me before but generally found it quite cold and distant, but not with this. You said it was a grower (and I mean, maybe it will be) but right from the off I found it immersive and interesting. Melodically, it’s still what I’d describe as “not obvious”, so from that point of view it’s not super accessible and does take a bit of getting used to, I suppose. But everything is very nicely in balance - the riffs, the growls, the atmosphere, the melodies - such that I got used to it within that first listen. And I didn’t fully appreciate it on first listen, but I’ve come to really like the guitar work as well - not just the playing, but the way the riffs and lead lines are crafted.
Score: 7.5 + 1 bonus = 8.5 points

Seneca
Jason Isbell – Southeastern (2013)

First impression: Oddly upbeat melancholia.

Final opinion: A lot of the subject matter on this album is clearly very melancholic (which is evidently your thing) and he pulls it all off with a gorgeous amount of emotion, but there’s also something I find strangely uplifting about the album too. Not entirely dissimilar to the Phoebe Bridgers you sent in round 1, there’s something I like about artists who explore sad subjects in a way that doesn’t wallow but still emotes. My collection doesn’t have much American folk/country in it, but this will be a great addition. The album has so much warmth and compassion. There are some songs that are a little less exciting, but even in those his delivery makes it engaging. At its best, the songs really tug on the heart-strings.
Score: 7 + 1 bonus = 8 points

Evermind ft. Lucases
Om – Advaitic Songs (2012)

First impression: What is this.

Final opinion: Like, seriously, what is this? As far as I can tell it’s a fusion of religious chamber music and stoner rock. It’s a really bizarre combination, but I do rather dig it. Especially the more chamber-infused stuff actually - it creates such a unique and unusual sound and mood, almost psychedelic at times. There are things I’m less keen on - the vocals are ok but don’t entirely do it for me, the heavier section in State of Non-Return sounds quite muddy, and in general the songs all feel quite long. I guess that’s part of the vibe, but for my tastes I think they could do with more build-up and development. Still, it’s a cool album and nothing like anything else I’ve heard.
Rating: 7.5/10
Score: 6.5 points

Puppies
The Gathering – How to Measure a Planet? (1998)

First impression: Familiar, yet surprising.

Final opinion: This feels familiar not just because of Anneke’s voice, but also because the general style is for the most part fairly straightforward. But at the same time, within that general style there are a number of surprises and it feels a little different - heavier, darker - to similar bands (possibly a leftover from their earlier style). As much as I like Anneke’s performances in more recent things I’ve heard her in, I think her voice suits this music better. It’s really good. If I have one detraction, it’s that I find it slightly plodding at times. I’m not sure it’s about the album being long so much as a few of the songs feeling like they never quite get going.
Rating: 7.5/10
Score: 6 points

Nekov ft. King
Papir – IIII (2013)

First impression: Little stood out.

Final opinion: You’ve not been having much luck since Round 1! Once again, this is good, but I don’t find it that great. Instrumental prog isn’t generally an easy sell for me. What I like a lot here is the post-rock vibe - the songs have a good atmosphere and some nice dynamics. It never quite gets going though, and doesn’t have the same peaks and troughs as the best post-rock does. Nor does it have the excitement or quirkiness of the best instrumental prog/fusion. It’s like it’s quite good at everything it does, but nothing stands out as particularly interesting to me.
Rating: 7/10
Score: 5 points

Clortho
Sanctuary – Into The Mirror Black (1989)

First impression: Somewhat dated, perhaps.

Final opinion: I definitely find it fairly dated, but it’s pretty cool. There’s not a huge amount of 80s thrash I enjoy, and in general the stuff I really like (such as Metallica and Megadeth) stands out for having strong melodies, which feel mostly lacking here. But the riffing is great and helps the album still be really enjoyable. Also really interesting is the vocals - at first I thought of them as pretty 80s metal type vocals, but there was also something different and oddly familiar about them. On discovering it was in fact Warrel Dane, it all makes sense (and Loomis too!). Quite different musically to Nevermore, but I can hear the origin of their music here, and there are various places where Dane sings in exactly the same way as he did right up until he passed away. Glad to have heard them now, but don’t see them becoming a favourite.
Score: 4.5 points

Train ft. Elite
Like Lovers – Everything All The Time Forever (2019)

First impression: Hard to grasp.

Final opinion: I guess I can see why they’re defined as pop, but it’s not really pop and not super accessible. It’s pretty cool though, quite experimental and unusual. I especially like some of the harmonised vocals, like in the opening title track but also throughout the album. There are lots of great moments. It all just feels quite inconsistent. This is particularly noticeable in Health, which has one of the best melodies on the album (“I’ve been in love, but I feel better now…”) but otherwise I find quite boring. So yeah, a solid album definitely, but ends up at the bottom of the pack because of the strength of the competition.
Score: 4 points

Scores after Round 4:
1. (^) Luoto                       = 7.0 + 7.0 + 11.0 + 10.5 = 35.5
2. (^) Tomi                        = 7.5 + 5.5 + 8.0 + 11.0 = 32.0
3=(v) Train ft. Elite             = 9.5 + 8.5 + 9.0 + 4.0 = 31.0
3=(v) Clortho                     = 12.0 + 10.5 + 4.0 + 4.5 = 31.0
3=(^) Evermind ft. Lucases = 5.0 + 9.5 + 10.0 + 6.5 = 31.0
6. (v) Puppies                     = 4.0 + 11.0 + 9.5 + 6.0 = 30.5
7. (v) Cyril                         = 9.0 + 6.5 + 6.0 + 8.5 = 30.0
8. (v) Seneca                     = 8.5 + 4.5 + 8.5 + 8.0 = 29.5
9. (^) Katt                         = 6.5 + 6.0 + 5.5 + 9.5 = 27.5
10.(v) Nekov ft. King          = 10.0 + 4.0 + 6.5 + 5.0 = 25.5

Luoto is basically guaranteed to progress but the other four places are very much up for grabs!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 06:20:22 AM by ariich »

I be am boner inducing.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #745 on: September 28, 2019, 04:57:23 AM »
Not bad. I'm waiting for Lucases' suggestions for the Greatest Hits and I'll need to listen to them too, so let's say I'll send in ~48-60 hours. We can actually make it into the Top 5 and I'm quite thrilled about that!

Also good to see Wishbone Ash getting appreciation, I love Argus.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #746 on: September 28, 2019, 04:58:51 AM »
Reminder of the rules for Round 5:

Round 5 – Greatest Hits: Chance to send me your own compilation, ideal for some artists but tricky for others so choose wisely. 40-70 minutes of music from a single artist, which must come from at least 3 different albums (for this purpose, a single or b-side that was never on a studio album counts as a separate release, but short interlude tracks don’t count at all). There will be no specific scoring for flow so don’t worry too much about it, though of course it can affect my overall enjoyment. After this round, the 5 lowest scoring participants will be eliminated, and the other 5 will play the rest of the roulette.

And to again reiterate, format can either be Spotify playlist, a collection of mp3s or equivalent files, or a single file if you've edited it that way.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #747 on: September 28, 2019, 05:00:26 AM »
ROUND 4 RESULTS

Tomi
Wishbone Ash – Argus (1972)

First impression: A nice discovery.

Final opinion: This really crept up on me. I mean, I very much liked it on first listen, but I didn’t at all think it was a possible round winner. I’ve heard of Wishbone Ash, of course, but I’m not sure I’ve ever listened to anything of theirs. So what a fantastic discovery for me! I enjoyed the 70s prog vibe right from the start, but it was only on my third listen that I realised just how much I was loving the whole album. There’s a nice mix of influences from earlier bands (I definitely hear some Beatles in there) along with styles and ideas that were clearly new at the time and influenced bands that came later. It’s also really accessible - there’s proggy stuff sure, but it’s all pretty restrained and there’s such a focus on melody that sits really well with me.
Score: 10 + 1 bonus = 11 points

Me neither tbh :lol I'm glad you liked it, they are underappreciated here :)
Not sure what to send (or compile) for the next round as I'm pretty much out of music...
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #748 on: September 28, 2019, 05:01:04 AM »
 :millahhhh

I'll think about the greatest hits thing, never did anything like this for a roulette but I have some bands in mind! Is it okay if I send it like.. Monday latest? Been a bit occupied
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #749 on: September 28, 2019, 05:05:29 AM »
:millahhhh

I'll think about the greatest hits thing, never did anything like this for a roulette but I have some bands in mind! Is it okay if I send it like.. Monday latest? Been a bit occupied

I'm also aiming for Monday so I guess ariich will just have to deal with that. :biggrin:
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #750 on: September 28, 2019, 06:14:45 AM »
Yep Monday is absolutely fine. If some people finish and send theirs earlier (Cyril) that'd be great so I can make a start, but let's say a deadline of Tuesday.

And just to make sure there are no misunderstandings, it's greatest hits from a single artist.

EDIT: Just noticed in a slight error in the ordering of my write-ups (and the scores within the write-ups). The scores in the ranking at the end were right. I've now corrected it!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 06:21:27 AM by ariich »

I be am boner inducing.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #751 on: September 28, 2019, 07:58:58 AM »
That Ben Howard score is really letting me down, but I'm glad youve enjoyed the other three reasonably well  :smiley:

Jason Isbell is definitely my favorite songwriter at the moment and that album is probably, overall my favorite of his, but if I'd been paying more attention I would have saved him for the greatest hits round as he has some phenomenal songs on his other records.

I do have something else in mind though. Maybe a bit of a risk, but since you mentioned not having a lot of American country/folk in your library...

I should be able to send by the end of tomorrow.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #752 on: September 28, 2019, 09:39:23 AM »
Oh cool!! I'm glad you liked that album so much dude. It's still kicking my ass. That's given me a fighting chance so hopefully I can pull off a hail Mary. Will send mine by tomorrow evening...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #753 on: September 28, 2019, 10:08:11 AM »
dang, i'm gonna get cut  :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #754 on: September 28, 2019, 12:24:25 PM »
Sent  :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #755 on: September 28, 2019, 01:06:03 PM »
So I started with a first and then a second. Then I was last and now second to last. Nice. Should be right in the middle from here on out.

I'm pretty sure Loomis isn't on the Sanctuary record. I think he joined to tour but was never on a record.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #756 on: September 28, 2019, 01:30:15 PM »
I'm pretty sure Loomis isn't on the Sanctuary record. I think he joined to tour but was never on a record.
Ah yeah you're right, looks like he joined just afterwards, then was still with them when they got back together, but left before they made a new album.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #757 on: September 28, 2019, 03:45:30 PM »
Ok I have three submissions in already, which is great. Two of them are at opposite ends of the duration range. :lol

By the way there are no bonus points in this round, just the 4-10 scoring. I might still rate them out of 10, not sure yet, but I'll definitely be ranking them to produce scores.

I be am boner inducing.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #758 on: September 28, 2019, 06:41:00 PM »
I think mine was just under 60 minutes. I didn't want to overwhelm you. :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #759 on: September 28, 2019, 06:51:34 PM »
mine is 70 minutes because all three releases from the band are meant to be listened to as one uninterrupted piece and i just didn't want to change that  :lol
i guess maybe the very last track could be cut though. except then i'd be sending you literally all but one song from the band's discography. which seemed silly
anyways it's 50+ minutes shorter than what i sent you round 3 so

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #760 on: September 29, 2019, 01:07:32 AM »
My compilation is 42 minutes only
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #761 on: September 29, 2019, 06:11:13 AM »
Sent 57 minutes of stuff. There's actually at least one song off every full-length.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #762 on: September 29, 2019, 08:53:48 AM »
Sent!

Only 45 minutes—no filler.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #763 on: September 29, 2019, 08:56:03 AM »
Finalizing my song order, will send today.

EDIT: Sent. Probably not gonna make it past this round so I just hope our host doesn't hate it. :)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 02:50:28 PM by Kattelox »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #764 on: September 29, 2019, 03:09:47 PM »
You guys rock. 7 submissions in already, and still 2 days until the deadline.

Some titles are rather more creative than others, though I didn't actually ask for titles I suppose. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #765 on: September 29, 2019, 03:11:12 PM »
i think mine is really fitting for the way my greatest hits is structured, even if it's not very creative :P

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #766 on: September 29, 2019, 03:13:49 PM »
My actual title is the poop emoji

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #767 on: September 29, 2019, 03:21:40 PM »
omg you stole my title  >:( >:( :censored >:(

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #768 on: September 29, 2019, 03:24:14 PM »
i think mine is really fitting for the way my greatest hits is structured, even if it's not very creative :P
"greatest"

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #769 on: September 29, 2019, 03:25:44 PM »
'cause they're all great, of course :neverusethis:
if you want to, you can consider that i sent just 4 songs