Author Topic: What pissed you off today?  (Read 133700 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: What pissed you off today?
« Reply #3010 on: May 19, 2024, 01:22:37 PM »
Being in Europe, and zero expectations of tips is glorious. Nothing on the credit card machines, no hotel staff holding out their hand after helping you.  Nothing.

Love it!

Ypu should move over here then!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3011 on: May 19, 2024, 01:29:29 PM »
Ypu should move over here then!

Stop trying to poach, brah!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3012 on: May 19, 2024, 01:30:15 PM »
Damn straight, Adami. Fosters is terrible.

Love you, Kade!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #3013 on: May 19, 2024, 05:03:31 PM »
Being in Europe, and zero expectations of tips is glorious. Nothing on the credit card machines, no hotel staff holding out their hand after helping you.  Nothing.

Love it!

When my wife and I went on a rail trip of the UK, me and the tour guide ended up at the hotel bar one night and I left a tip for the bartender and the tour guide was surprised I left a tip.  Just habit being from the US.

Of course some folks on the tour asked about tipping the specialty tour guides and our main tour guide said most folks do tip for the guided tours.  I tipped the Edinburg guide well because I could listen to her talk all day.

I will say our main tour guide earned every bit of the end of tour tips he received.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3014 on: May 19, 2024, 05:08:15 PM »
Damn straight, Adami. Fosters is terrible.

Love you, Kade!

Fosters?!  Haven't heard that name for years, we've moved out of the 80's Joe.

Seriously, I don't drink beer at all so I wouldn't know but I haven't heard or seen anyone buy or drink that brand for years haha.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3015 on: May 19, 2024, 05:29:35 PM »
Fosters?!  Haven't heard that name for years, we've moved out of the 80's Joe.

Yeah Joe!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3016 on: May 19, 2024, 08:34:14 PM »
The pain in my left testicle.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3017 on: May 20, 2024, 03:53:41 AM »

Is this the same issue you had as last time?  If not, might wanna get that checked out mate.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3018 on: May 20, 2024, 09:29:09 AM »
Yeah, reading Joe's post gets to me sometimes as well.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3019 on: May 20, 2024, 11:06:41 AM »
Is this the same issue you had as last time?  If not, might wanna get that checked out mate.

That was the disappearing testicle, haha! Long story short, 6 weeks ago I had excruciating lower back pain, groin pain, and both testicles were rotating in sharp pain.. Went to my doc and he said it was probably compressed or herniated discs. It went away for a few days, then came back so I went to the ER last Thursday had an ultrasound, CT scan, urine and blood work. I have deterioration in lower discs, swollen lymph nodes and inflammation in my groin, and a hydrocele in my testicles which needs to be drained. Good times.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3020 on: May 20, 2024, 11:33:15 AM »
That was the disappearing testicle, haha! Long story short, 6 weeks ago I had excruciating lower back pain, groin pain, and both testicles were rotating in sharp pain.. Went to my doc and he said it was probably compressed or herniated discs. It went away for a few days, then came back so I went to the ER last Thursday had an ultrasound, CT scan, urine and blood work. I have deterioration in lower discs, swollen lymph nodes and inflammation in my groin, and a hydrocele in my testicles which needs to be drained. Good times.
I've had a hydrocele before.  I had to go have that procedure done.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3021 on: May 20, 2024, 12:22:07 PM »
I've had a hydrocele before.  I had to go have that procedure done.

Did you have pain or just swelling?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3022 on: May 20, 2024, 12:36:54 PM »
Did you have pain or just swelling?
Definite swelling.  Not sure I would say pain, but discomfort for sure.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3023 on: May 20, 2024, 07:17:11 PM »

God damn Tom, I'm squirming in my chair just reading that.  Does not sound fun.  I hope you can get on top of that.

Offline Awaken

« Reply #3024 on: May 21, 2024, 10:18:50 AM »

Came in to complain about things pissing me off today, read this, decided my day's not so bad after all.  Good luck to you, man!

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3025 on: May 21, 2024, 01:27:12 PM »
Came in to complain about things pissing me off today, read this, decided my day's not so bad after all.  Good luck to you, man!

Thank you. I'm having other health issues worse that I don't want to get into for more pity but its why I had over a month absence on this forum. Bottom line, I'm optimistic I'll eventually be ok.  :tup

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3026 on: May 21, 2024, 02:14:22 PM »
Thank you. I'm having other health issues worse that I don't want to get into for more pity but its why I had over a month absence on this forum. Bottom line, I'm optimistic I'll eventually be ok.  :tup

Tom (can I call you Tom?), we're rooting for you; pop in once in a while to let us know how you're doing. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3027 on: May 21, 2024, 05:10:20 PM »
So, it's not that I don't tip, or don't like to tip (I mean, I'm not thrilled about it), but what I strongly push back is the EXPECTATION to tip, and the outright begging.

My first tipping issue on our trip was we stopped in Kohola, in the northern part of The Big Island. It was a local deli/sandwich shop, so we thought we'd hit it.

I ordered a BBQ Chicken sandwich without red onion, and I asked for my pineapples (the sandwich came with onions and pineapples on it) on the side. When I asked to get my pineapples on the side, the bitch lady taking my order rolled her eyes when I asked for them on the side. WTF?

Anyway, she prints the credit card slip and at the bottom of the slip there's a suggested 18% and 20% tip, and she fucking circled it to draw my attention to it!! What? Now this is before they make our food, so I left a tip that was definitely and easily less than the 18%.

(I did get my pineapples on the side, but they were canned pineapple chunks in a plastic cup, not a nice slice or two of local fresh pineapple. Also, when they fucked up my wife's salad order, she proceeded to insult my wife to another worker!)

Anyway...

For our last night we stayed at one particular hotel. I mean, the tiny (they had the nerve to call it a suite!) room cost a fortune, and while it did include an evening reception with two free drinks, and a nice breakfast, I saw THIS on the stand..

What in the fucking fuck is this?? Are you serious? And I can do by scanning a QR code? Fuck that!

We paid more than enough for the hotel to pay their staff adequately.

I'm still pissed! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3028 on: May 21, 2024, 05:39:12 PM »
So, it's not that I don't tip, or don't like to tip (I mean, I'm not thrilled about it), but what I strongly push back is the EXPECTATION to tip, and the outright begging.

My first tipping issue on our trip was we stopped in Kohola, in the northern part of The Big Island. It was a local deli/sandwich shop, so we thought we'd hit it.

I ordered a BBQ Chicken sandwich without red onion, and I asked for my pineapples (the sandwich came with onions and pineapples on it) on the side. When I asked to get my pineapples on the side, the bitch lady taking my order rolled her eyes when I asked for them on the side. WTF?

Anyway, she prints the credit card slip and at the bottom of the slip there's a suggested 18% and 20% tip, and she fucking circled it to draw my attention to it!! What? Now this is before they make our food, so I left a tip that was definitely and easily less than the 18%.

(I did get my pineapples on the side, but they were canned pineapple chunks in a plastic cup, not a nice slice or two of local fresh pineapple. Also, when they fucked up my wife's salad order, she proceeded to insult my wife to another worker!)

Anyway...

For our last night we stayed at one particular hotel. I mean, the tiny (they had the nerve to call it a suite!) room cost a fortune, and while it did include an evening reception with two free drinks, and a nice breakfast, I saw THIS on the stand..

What in the fucking fuck is this?? Are you serious? And I can do by scanning a QR code? Fuck that!

We paid more than enough for the hotel to pay their staff adequately.

I'm still pissed! :lol

They would have gotten fucking nothing from me.  20%!  Again, we've discussed tipping before and how foreign it is to me but that's ludicrous.

There is no fucking way I'd be scanning a code and paying a tip over my phone either.  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3029 on: May 21, 2024, 05:43:12 PM »
If our food had come first, or if I thought there was no way what I left would impact what we got, I'd have not left anything.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3030 on: May 21, 2024, 05:49:18 PM »
I can't believe they give you that with the suggested tip BEFORE you even get your food. 

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3031 on: May 21, 2024, 05:54:20 PM »
No tipping if you order at a counter, pick up your own food from a counter, or have to bus your own dishes. We have to stop tipping these people so that their employers won't be able to get away with underpaying them and expecting us to pick up the slack. Charge what you need to charge to pay them a decent wage. But it's easier for them to blame cheap patrons instead of actually paying workers a reasonable wage.

And I'm sorry, but I refuse to tip for basic maid services of my hotel room.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3032 on: May 21, 2024, 06:26:54 PM »
Now I want to know the name of that Kohala restaurant! My wife has two aunts and two cousins there. One of those aunts has fostered several kids going back decades, such that many of those kids now have kids of their own. I feel like whenever I am there we bump in to a "cousin" all the time.

My wife insists we clean up our hotel room before we check out. I remind her "part of the deal" is that the room is cleaned after we leave by hotel staff, and it isn't incumbent on us to do so.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3033 on: May 21, 2024, 06:54:16 PM »

A lot of hotels, especially the Disney ones, will leave a card on the counter with your housekeeper's name on it with the expectation that you leave something under it.
Fuck that!

Now I want to know the name of that Kohala restaurant!

Actually, we rode up to Hawi and it's called the King's View Cafe.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3034 on: May 21, 2024, 07:00:22 PM »
Now I want to know the name of that Kohala restaurant! My wife has two aunts and two cousins there. One of those aunts has fostered several kids going back decades, such that many of those kids now have kids of their own. I feel like whenever I am there we bump in to a "cousin" all the time.

My wife insists we clean up our hotel room before we check out. I remind her "part of the deal" is that the room is cleaned after we leave by hotel staff, and it isn't incumbent on us to do so.
I make sure any garbage makes it into the garbage bin and put back anything I moved like a chair or ironing board or something. But otherwise yeah, part of what you're paying for is them cleaning up the room.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3035 on: May 21, 2024, 07:47:17 PM »
I wish there was some master list somewhere approved and accepted by everyone which "low-paying" jobs were tip-worthy, and which were not, and if possible, why some are and some are not. I went to get a pedicure with my wife a while back* and when I paid she told me I had to leave a tip. I didn't want to make it in to a thing at the front desk, but when we left I asked her why. Her response was along the lines of "it's just expected for this industry." Since when? Who decided on that?

*yes, I just typed that sentence
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3036 on: May 21, 2024, 07:53:57 PM »
No tipping if you order at a counter, pick up your own food from a counter, or have to bus your own dishes. We have to stop tipping these people so that their employers won't be able to get away with underpaying them and expecting us to pick up the slack. Charge what you need to charge to pay them a decent wage. But it's easier for them to blame cheap patrons instead of actually paying workers a reasonable wage.

That's how it is over here.  Yet things in the economy aren't going very well and the price we pay for food is astronomical compared to over there by the sounds.  Prices for services going up left right and centre but minimal wage increases.  Services collapsing as the profit they do get from upping the prices isn't covering the cost of living and inflation.  While the cost of housing is going up about 7-8 percent each year.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3037 on: May 22, 2024, 02:30:29 AM »
That’s the way it is everywhere it seems.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3038 on: May 22, 2024, 04:07:26 AM »
That’s the way it is everywhere it seems.

Yeah true.  Our housing I think though is actually escalating more than that.  We have real issues with housing over here.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3039 on: May 22, 2024, 04:38:59 AM »
Yeah true.  Our housing I think though is actually escalating more than that.  We have real issues with housing over here.

Same here.  High interest rates (which is a double edged sword - high mortgage costs for consumers and high borrowing costs for builders), massive immigration (Canada added 1.3M new people in 2021), lack of long-term rental housing, and foreign money getting dumped into real estate.  My house has doubled in value in the last 5 years.  Good for me; horrible for my kids generation.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3040 on: May 22, 2024, 06:11:42 AM »
Same here.  High interest rates (which is a double edged sword - high mortgage costs for consumers and high borrowing costs for builders), massive immigration (Canada added 1.3M new people in 2021), lack of long-term rental housing, and foreign money getting dumped into real estate.  My house has doubled in value in the last 5 years.  Good for me; horrible for my kids generation.

Was Alec Baldwin in that $1.3M?  Ironically it won't be Trump that likely sends him north, but his own criminal concerns.  Haha.

I hear you on the mixed emotions; I have almost 50% equity in my house now (unbelievable from an investment standpoint) and that's awesome for me and my retirement, but my 30-year-old step son literally CANNOT find an affordable place to live in the current school system.   He is living with us (I'm fine with that; I love him here, sincerely) and his ex lives with her parents (though fair play, she HAD an opportunity to get a home and didn't take it; so stupid, but that's why she's the ex).   

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3041 on: May 22, 2024, 06:15:37 AM »

More really a response to TAC, but...

I have historically been a very generous tipper; I've been trying to pull back on that.  I struggle with the "pre-tipping" aspect because there's always the risk that it will impact the service (I have this irrational fear of a big wad of spit on my grinder because I didn't "pre-tip" sufficiently), but if it's fast food or I'm driving to pick up an order, I rarely tip, or if I do, it's nominal.

I travel a LOT and I can't remember the last time I tippled for basic maid services.  I usually decline them during the stay, frankly, and while I don't "clean", I'm also not an animal.  I hit the garbage with my trash, and I'm not leaving unreasonable levels of "waste" (and certainly nothing that is either dangerous or distasteful). 

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #3042 on: May 22, 2024, 08:12:36 AM »
TIL some people tip at hotels. Never heard of this practice. I don't even think my parents knew/know about it. Kind of feel like an asshole now. Is that really a thing? How much? And you just...leave cash on the bed or something?

EDIT: Like some others mentioned, I also put the DND thing on the door (means no maid service for the entire stay). I guess that makes me feel better
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3043 on: May 22, 2024, 09:15:10 AM »
TIL some people tip at hotels. Never heard of this practice. I don't even think my parents knew/know about it. Kind of feel like an asshole now. Is that really a thing? How much? And you just...leave cash on the bed or something?

EDIT: Like some others mentioned, I also put the DND thing on the door (means no maid service for the entire stay). I guess that makes me feel better
This is kind of my take. If they're coming in and cleaning every day, maybe I'd feel more inclined to tip, but I specificly keep them out of my room from check-in to check-out. I also keep my rooms pretty clean. Kind of seems to me like they should be the ones leaving me a tip for making their job easier. I don't mean that in a Mr. Pink kind of way, I'm a generous tipper, but I try to make sure housekeeping likes me as a guest.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3044 on: May 22, 2024, 09:21:44 AM »

I only tip if I leave the room a disaster.  And I don't mean the bed undone, I'm not making the bed, but I typically put my garbage in the can and make sure the room isn't destroyed..... but there's been times where I've got food all over the floor, spilled a drink somewhere, and just generally made a mess beyond typical night sleeping in a room.  I might leave a tip if I felt I made things worse than typical.  (this often seems to be the case when I stay in Vegas lol)

Also,

the pineapples  :lol  I feel like TAC may have offended the locals by putting them on the side or something.  I probably just would have gotten something else. I feel like if you change up meals at some restaurants, they take it personally.  Doesn't make it right to be a dick to a customer, but I just avoid doing that usually. Also, my pallet isn't of a child  :biggrin: