Author Topic: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread  (Read 194772 times)

Offline Architeuthis

Re: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread
« Reply #875 on: February 26, 2019, 11:40:57 AM »

DT and Rush's 14th studio albums are the only albums in each bands catalog that feature skulls on the album cover and artwork. 
Distance Over Time and Roll The Bones both designed by Hugh Syme. Coincidence or Nugget??

I also posted this on the DT Universe page on FB.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 11:48:47 AM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline CirclesSquared

« Reply #876 on: February 26, 2019, 11:48:39 AM »
As for JR's playing on this album, I think he "took a backseat" to a good effect this time. His playing serves ambiance and atmosphere more than it did on numerous previous records, it's very understated but tasteful - think Richard Barbieri of Porcupine Tree who is a master of that. There's a lot of great undertones and atmospheric sounds he does in Barstool Warrior, Room 137 and elsewhere on the album. I also like the extensive use of Hammond, gave his palette more color I think.

As for song lengths, I think they finally (after a long while) managed to not write a single 10+ of 15+ min song and yet make most of them (AWE, S2N, PBD, even Barstool Warrior) feel longer than they are owing to variety of musical themes and changes of tempo and mood in them. They feel longer and not for dragging, but for their content.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #877 on: February 26, 2019, 11:48:54 AM »
Not sure if this was posted:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/john_petrucci_reveals_how_his_guitar_solos_were_recorded_differently_on_new_dream_theater_album.html

Good interview.... explains why there are some sections with no rhythm guitar to help capture the live sound vibe.   I loved that they did this... 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #878 on: February 26, 2019, 12:12:42 PM »

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/john_petrucci_reveals_how_his_guitar_solos_were_recorded_differently_on_new_dream_theater_album.html

Good interview.... explains why there are some sections with no rhythm guitar to help capture the live sound vibe.   I loved that they did this... 

Yeah.  I was just thinking about that yesterday when listening to the album while driving.  And I was thinking about whether they will drop the click and play a little more loosely on this tour because of it.  But there are some parts where there is definitely a backing guitar track, and necessarily so.  For instance, those huge backing chords are part of the huge sound during the part that starts about about 4:44 in Fall Into the Light, which is my favorite part of the song.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline robwebster

« Reply #879 on: February 26, 2019, 12:25:13 PM »
I know this is old news to many (because I found it while digging through threads I'd missed!) but I had no idea Room 137 was about Wolfgang Pauli.

My genuine best guess up to that point was that it was about a killer robot. Probably due to the cover art, that one - but the never ending number line sounded like maybe someone was programmed to kill 137 people? Knowing it's about someone who was genuinely obsessed with that number (and that it's a pretty interesting number, and that the song is in 137 tempo!) has just made the song significantly cooler. And hey, I loved it back in the killer robot days.

I have always low-level wanted them to do that. It's never irritated me, but I've always felt like it'd sound great and give the bass more opportunity to cut through. It works so well!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #880 on: February 26, 2019, 12:30:30 PM »
I really thought more people would genuinely geek out over the Wolfgang Pauli storyline behind the song.  :dunno:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline CirclesSquared

« Reply #881 on: February 26, 2019, 12:34:48 PM »
I know this is old news to many (because I found it while digging through threads I'd missed!) but I had no idea Room 137 was about Wolfgang Pauli.

I too had no idea (I am a physics buff, but apparently not that much of a buff since I let that slip past by me) and now knowing this makes the song infinitely cooler! Awesome choice of a subject.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #882 on: February 26, 2019, 12:37:12 PM »
For instance, those huge backing chords are part of the huge sound during the part that starts about about 4:44 in Fall Into the Light, which is my favorite part of the song.

That section is one of the best moments of the album  :metal

Epic fail from any audience who won't sing along to that! who ho ho oh-hoooo, who ho ho oh-hoooo......  :hefdaddy
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #883 on: February 26, 2019, 12:47:24 PM »
Jordan does a ton of cool things underneath the music. When I listened with great headphones, I was hearing all kids of new stuff from him that I wasn't hearing in my car. I think that's part of how awesome JR is. He can add an element to the song to branch it out even more. His solos are great. I think we get spoiled by his virtuosity. I think he kept things simpler in regards to tonality this time around. He played to the music and within the song...which is a good thing. I don't understand the disappointment some have expressed towards the keyboard solos on this record. I think the solos are great.

Mangini is a powerhouse. This is his best work with DT. He's always been a hard hitter (remember his work with Steve Vai?) but he is so precise with each stroke on the drum. Each note has a purpose. Plus, he approaches his compositions as being linear to the music. It's different than Portnoy and that's good. Not saying one is better or more preferable than the other. It's another approach to playing drums with the music of DT. I think he's come into his own with DT on this album and he fits better now musically than he previously did.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #884 on: February 26, 2019, 01:02:36 PM »
Jordan does a ton of cool things underneath the music. When I listened with great headphones, I was hearing all kids of new stuff from him that I wasn't hearing in my car. I think that's part of how awesome JR is. He can add an element to the song to branch it out even more. His solos are great. I think we get spoiled by his virtuosity. I think he kept things simpler in regards to tonality this time around. He played to the music and within the song...which is a good thing. I don't understand the disappointment some have expressed towards the keyboard solos on this record. I think the solos are great.

Mangini is a powerhouse. This is his best work with DT. He's always been a hard hitter (remember his work with Steve Vai?) but he is so precise with each stroke on the drum. Each note has a purpose. Plus, he approaches his compositions as being linear to the music. It's different than Portnoy and that's good. Not saying one is better or more preferable than the other. It's another approach to playing drums with the music of DT. I think he's come into his own with DT on this album and he fits better now musically than he previously did.

Do you like the Rudess solo at the end of S2N?   It just seems like total wanking and a solo we have heard 1000 times from him.  That one is my biggest complaint but there are a few others where the same issue applies.

The atmospheric parts, organ parts, and piano parts are great.     I just feel like when I listen to a song on this album while Rudess is soloing I'm like "ok lets just get to the JP solo"

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #885 on: February 26, 2019, 01:08:35 PM »
I just wanted to comment on the album's artwork, which I love.  I saw some people mention on YouTube comments that the artwork is about technology taking over the world.  Sure, that's an obvious take, but I view it a little differently.  To me, the robot and skull are merely metaphors for future and past.  And that can take on a variety of deeper meanings -- whether it's a person's emotional struggle with leaving their past behind to find future happiness, or mankind's need to learn from past mistakes to give the world a brighter future, etc.  The lyrics for "Barstool Warrior" are a good example of the leave-the-past-behind theme, while the lyrics for "Pale Blue Dot" are a good example of the mankind-learning from-past-mistakes theme.  You can even take it a step further by incorporating the album title: the more time that passes, the more distance people put between their old selves.  Just curious how other people interpret the artwork?
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #886 on: February 26, 2019, 01:41:48 PM »
D/T track by track: Barstool Warrior with JP and JR (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LV08MGIQhI)

Looking forward to the At Wit’s End video to see if they explain the weird fade out/silence/fade in/fade out ending. Seems utterly pointless (and a tiny bit irritating) to me but will be interested to see the thought process behind it. The song is awesome regardless obviously.

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #887 on: February 26, 2019, 01:49:02 PM »

Do you like the Rudess solo at the end of S2N?   It just seems like total wanking and a solo we have heard 1000 times from him.  That one is my biggest complaint but there are a few others where the same issue applies.

The atmospheric parts, organ parts, and piano parts are great.     I just feel like when I listen to a song on this album while Rudess is soloing I'm like "ok lets just get to the JP solo"

I do. It's a throwback to The Dark Eternal Night. I like a metal groove with the solo on top. We've heard it before but I happen to like it. Is it wanking? I guess so.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #888 on: February 26, 2019, 02:02:32 PM »

Agreed.   The guitar is so much nicer on the ears when it comes to soloing, unless it's done on the hammond or piano.
 I have a friend that just can't get into DT because of the keyboard solo's, but he can see the talent in the band. I will eventually force feed him D/T over a few beers. He's done that to me with Ghost and Metallica... Now it's my turn!  :xbones
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #889 on: February 26, 2019, 02:05:36 PM »
The S2N ending solo is the low point of the album for me. Which is a shame, because as tacked on as that coda is, the syncopated riff itself is actually pretty cool. It's just that Jordan's solo doesn't do much with the underlying rhythm at all and in fact distracts from it. Not a good fit at all.

For the record, I found the TDEN coda equally unnecessary and also a low point of that album.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 02:14:10 PM by Kyo »
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #890 on: February 26, 2019, 02:45:50 PM »
Out of Reach was reminding me of something for the longest time (all 4 days it's been out), and it just dawned on me: there are parts of the vocal melody that are very similar to Tale as Old as Time from Beauty and the Beast.

"Try to find the words
None sit right with me
Air of confidence
Beauty and the Beast"

And now I can't unhear it

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #891 on: February 26, 2019, 03:29:28 PM »
Wrong thread.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline DT1138

« Reply #892 on: February 26, 2019, 07:29:57 PM »
IMHO, this is best DT album in years.  I've listened to it 6 times in 2 days all the way through.  Love the solos and overall sound mix.  Definitely feels like JR's role is downplayed here though. HD version as mentioned in the other thread(s) definitely sounds better than the standard version also.

Offline TexansDT

« Reply #893 on: February 26, 2019, 07:43:23 PM »

Thanks for sharing. I really think this approach is why this album is speaking to me so much right now. It gives all the guys a chance to shine — letting them provide the atmosphere instead of layering to create it.
If I seem superhuman, I have been misunderstood...

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #894 on: February 26, 2019, 08:14:15 PM »
Out of Reach was reminding me of something for the longest time (all 4 days it's been out), and it just dawned on me: there are parts of the vocal melody that are very similar to Tale as Old as Time from Beauty and the Beast.

With how many times I listened to this and everything I read in this forum, it sure feels a lot longer than 4 days lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #895 on: February 26, 2019, 09:29:27 PM »

"Try to find the words
None sit right with me
Air of confidence
Beauty and the Beast"

And now I can't unhear it

Glad I'm not the only one. That caught my attention on the first listen!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #896 on: February 26, 2019, 09:35:24 PM »
I still somehow haven't noticed Owen's "Wow" :(

Listen on headphones.

S2N - 4:01 into the song. The last pause they take right before the chorus comes back in. In the middle of the pause there is a faint "wow".

:lol :lol Just heard it. I'm surprised I never heard that when listening through my home system, car, or Bose Mini Soundlink, yet it somehow stands out on my shitty $14 Bluetooth desk earbuds.

Same thing with me. Of course I would have rather gone through my whole life without hearing it.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #897 on: February 26, 2019, 11:14:44 PM »
Holy shit balls wow! Ok I absolutely hated TA, and this was a very long wait until they released something really good. This album has so much from their whole career, it’s a must for any fan. It’s heavy, technical without being too technical, and JlB just about proved every hater wrong with his vocal performance. And that JP tone, that Myung tone, and finally, finally absolutely killer drums!

Yes Paralyzed sounds like Breaking Benjamin and Chevelle, and the RHCP version of Higher ground, but it’s still a great song. Can’t pick a favorite, this album just rocks !
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 11:59:25 PM by 1neeto »

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #898 on: February 26, 2019, 11:19:01 PM »
So JR was the one who came up with the main melody of BW.

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #899 on: February 27, 2019, 12:03:47 AM »
Oh yeah room 137 intro sounds like Beautiful People, but I don’t care because it makes me head bang so hard!

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #900 on: February 27, 2019, 12:06:31 AM »
Holy shit balls wow! Ok I absolutely hated TA, and this was a very long wait until they released something really good. This album has so much from their whole career, it’s a must for any fan. It’s heavy, technical without being too technical, and JlB just about proved everybhater wrong with his vocal performance. And that JP tone, that Myung tone, and finally, finally absolutely killer drums!

Yes Paraluzed sounds like Breaking Benjamin and Chevelle, and the RHCP version of Higher ground, but it’s still a great song. Can’t pick a favorite, this album just rocks !

I think you will find that this album is not for every Dream Theater fan... sure a lot of people fawn over it but there are quite a few feeling a bit disappointed in it too

I have listened to it three times so far and don't really have much desire to listen again. Don't know why as that never happens with DT. I will of course and also hope to get to see them live... might help me connect more

I have much more desire to go back and listen to The Astonishing which is an album that to me let's everyone shine, espescially JLB and JR who are not as suited for this album.

Composition, instrumentation, feeling, a production that let's the music breathe.... I find everything soo much better on TA

But then I came to Dream Theater back when Images and Words was released as a prog fan mostly.

I hope it will grow on me D/T but I have small hopes of it becoming a favorite as of now it sits in the bottom tier. But bottom tier DT is still better than most...

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #901 on: February 27, 2019, 01:12:16 AM »
Holy shit balls wow! Ok I absolutely hated TA, and this was a very long wait until they released something really good. This album has so much from their whole career, it’s a must for any fan. It’s heavy, technical without being too technical, and JlB just about proved everybhater wrong with his vocal performance. And that JP tone, that Myung tone, and finally, finally absolutely killer drums!

Yes Paraluzed sounds like Breaking Benjamin and Chevelle, and the RHCP version of Higher ground, but it’s still a great song. Can’t pick a favorite, this album just rocks !

I think you will find that this album is not for every Dream Theater fan... sure a lot of people fawn over it but there are quite a few feeling a bit disappointed in it too

I have listened to it three times so far and don't really have much desire to listen again. Don't know why as that never happens with DT. I will of course and also hope to get to see them live... might help me connect more

I have much more desire to go back and listen to The Astonishing which is an album that to me let's everyone shine, espescially JLB and JR who are not as suited for this album.

Composition, instrumentation, feeling, a production that let's the music breathe.... I find everything soo much better on TA

But then I came to Dream Theater back when Images and Words was released as a prog fan mostly.

I hope it will grow on me D/T but I have small hopes of it becoming a favorite as of now it sits in the bottom tier. But bottom tier DT is still better than most...

Totally get where you’re coming from. This album has been on rotation since Friday so I guess it’s been at least 4 or 10 listens. I’m a metal head, but I always loved progressive rock, and the prog aspect is what made me love DT after the initial heavy tone. Now I was a late “bloomer”, I was introduced to DT back in 05 or so with the Budokan DVD, so TOT holds a special place. Maybe I just wanted another balls to the wall metal album and this delivers.

Purist prog lovers wont like the one-dimensional metal feel of this album, it reminds me the reception to SC back in 07, it was just too heavy, yet it had ITPOE and MOTLS to please the prog heads. This album is definitely more TOT since well, TOT. I’m just rambling over whisky right now lol!

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #902 on: February 27, 2019, 01:18:32 AM »
One dimensional metal feel?

Barstool Warrior?
S2n?
At Wit's End?
Out of Reach?
Viper King?

I don't get it.

Offline erciccio

« Reply #903 on: February 27, 2019, 01:30:44 AM »
One dimensional metal feel?

Barstool Warrior?
S2n?
At Wit's End?
Out of Reach?
Viper King?

I don't get it.

Well, I don't think it's a problem of "variety"...there's plenty of different and good stuff in D/T.

But it's clearly a riff-groove driven album, and it's not a melody driven album (that does not mean that there are NO good melodies...)

TA was quite the opposite...a piano/ melody album, with some heavy inserts.

I am also a fan of the "melodic" side of Dream Theater, so I like D/T but less than TA.

As simple as that.
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #904 on: February 27, 2019, 02:29:55 AM »
I appreciate the band taking this more "concise" approach, I feel like no songs on the record overstay their welcome. Could AWE or PBD be longer? Sure. But I'm good with them as is.

I completely agree. I really appreciate how focused and tight the songs are on this album. We've got almost twenty years' worth of albums of the band fleshing things out more and embellishing the lengths, for better or worse (I mean one of my all-time fave DT albums is Six Degrees, after all). The decision to tighten the pace up a bit here feels like a really great breath of fresh air for me.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline V_R11

« Reply #905 on: February 27, 2019, 03:18:01 AM »
It seems like I ended up ranking this album 4th of all the DT albums, but this might change after the freshness of the record wear off (My top 3 is Scenes, I&W and ADTOE)
Seasons change and so can I

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #906 on: February 27, 2019, 04:49:15 AM »
Damn that riffing underneath the solo-ing on Viper King is tighter than a gnat's ass! I love it!
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #907 on: February 27, 2019, 05:42:17 AM »
Damn that riffing underneath the solo-ing on Viper King is tighter than a gnat's ass! I love it!

Man, I'm loving this song so much!!! DT had ever written a rocker like that?!  Interesting that it sounds like a croosover of Raibow and Deep Purple, but DP of Morse's phase, for obvious reasons.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline faizoff

« Reply #908 on: February 27, 2019, 05:44:22 AM »
Got the regular jewel case edition CD from Amazon yesterday and after ripping the CD it has the extra track on it even though I bought the regular edition. Strange.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #909 on: February 27, 2019, 06:19:45 AM »
Track by track for R137

https://youtu.be/mgiwc1Kjy0Y

How awesome that this started with the 137 bpm.