Author Topic: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread  (Read 192886 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread
« Reply #770 on: February 25, 2019, 10:55:16 AM »
Yes, I agree.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Pound4aBrown

« Reply #771 on: February 25, 2019, 11:09:28 AM »
I already have more spins of DOT than The Astonishing.

I'm still holding out hope that we get more split screen videos of them playing the songs at Yonderbarn.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #772 on: February 25, 2019, 11:21:49 AM »
So now it’s official for me, the Mangini albums are DT’s best 4-album stretch. If FII had never been released, obviously it would be I&W-SDoIT, but . . .

If I had to pick one era of the band, I would say that the JP/JM era really showcases an unparalleled consistency.

The first verse of Barstool Warrior reminds me of:

"Brace yourself my brother
I have breaking news"

Totally.  That and Beautiful Agony.

So the guy who profits from milking the adoration of MP fanboys is at it again.

https://youtu.be/nGohd3DYb-g

Wow, was that painful to listen to.

Without clicking the link or reading the comments let me guess...

Wow. Much better than Mangini!
Bring back Portnoy
Mindless fills over a song is much better than well orchestrated parts. :)

I don't really get the constant criticism of the guy.  He likes posting his covers, they are usually well done, and he doesn't seem to take shots at anybody that I've seen.  Not sure what the issue is that some seem to have with him.

For me it's more about the comments. I give the guy credit for posting and he obviously having a lot of passion. But you're right my mindless fills comment does seem critical. The comment section is what gets me.  I personally have no problem with him. I think he's obviously talented but no where near Portnoy or Mangini.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #773 on: February 25, 2019, 12:21:14 PM »
Bought the album today, along with a Kenny Garrett album. Listened to it on the drive home. I've listened to each of the 3 singles twice, which are the first 2 tracks, so everything else after was new.

Beautiful day out, sunny skies, some clouds, very windy. Haven't been listening to much Dream Theater, kinda fell off after MP left, though I enjoyed SC and BC&SL I would not have been opposed to a ~5 year break. However, I enjoyed ADTOE and think it's a good album, with drums that are a bit low in the mix. I was not a big fan of the last couple of albums, bought both blind excl. singles, as well as Distance Over Time; DT12 had sound problems, and I felt like many of the compositions had an unfinished quality to them, or the tunes weren't given time to marinate, so to speak, and I felt The Astonishing was very bloated, almost a chore to get through, and I'm not into the whole Broadway/Disney musical style so that didn't help.

With that said I thoroughly enjoyed Distance Over Time. So many elements in the songs that I felt have been missing or hard to find for the last half dozen albums or so. While it has more of the 'modern DT' sound at times, the technical through composed aspect of their music has returned, but is not overdone like on, say, Outcry from ADTOE. This new album has more grooves than the last bunch of albums, as well. The drums sound pretty good, as they did on the last album, but this may finally be the album of Mangini-unleashed. Some nice drum parts in there, really creative stuff. We even get some great bass lines everywhere, the bass was quite noticeable during most of the listen. Some Rush/Steve Morse/Yes influence felt here and there which kept the music bright and energetic. But also there were some hard riffs in there as well, and really sounded fun, unlike the last few albums IMO.

I'm going to go as far as saying this is the best album since Six Degrees, which I think I said about ADTOE when it came out, but I think I like this Distance Over Time more. The sound is more full, they've been playing with each other for almost 10 years now, but the conditions in which this album was created explains a lot too. This album SOUNDS like they were having a great time at the house-studio they lived in last summer writing music. I can't say much on any individual songs, I'll have to re-listen, which I obviously will. I did note that the last song Pale Blue Dot seemed to be the most intense song, and the final track, labeled as a bonus track Viper King really raised my eyebrows a little because of how much it sounds like they're actually trying to expand their sound, without worrying about keeping their "core sound" with them album-to-album, which I understand doing for a band this far along into their career, but I would not complain about an album of songs where the band really experiments with different sounds, like they almost did during the SDOIT sessions, bringing in World music influences, etc... I don't wanna hear that they did different things on the last album, TA is different, and I want a 'band' album. But anyway, the bonus track has a funky hard groove to it, mixed in with some double time, and a couple other things I thought sounded different for the band, I can't wait to listen to this album again, haven't said that in a while.

TL;DR It's a good one.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #774 on: February 25, 2019, 12:47:43 PM »
I've been spinning the album intensively recently and I enjoy playing it all the way through, it is cohesive and very energetic. Unfortunately, there are quite a few moments that bring some of the songs down for me in terms of melodies, riffs and song structures, preventing those songs from being truly great. The ones I return to most often are Pale blue dot and Paralyzed.

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #775 on: February 25, 2019, 01:07:38 PM »
I have been skipping the first three tracks and begin listening with Barstool Warrior. I didn't listen to much of the first 3 tracks when they were released so that I wouldn't have burnout on them before the entire album was released. I feel as if the album from Barstool Warrior on is much better and enjoyable than the first three tracks. Anybody else have the same opinion?

Offline gm5k

« Reply #776 on: February 25, 2019, 01:09:53 PM »
I have been skipping the first three tracks and begin listening with Barstool Warrior. I didn't listen to much of the first 3 tracks when they were released so that I wouldn't have burnout on them before the entire album was released. I feel as if the album from Barstool Warrior on is much better and enjoyable than the first three tracks. Anybody else have the same opinion?

Pretty much agree with this, except I like FITL a lot.  I just burned out on it for now which is my fault  :lol but yea like you I'm also starting the album at BW usually.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #777 on: February 25, 2019, 01:10:42 PM »

I like the first three a great deal, particularly Paralyzed, but think Barstool Warrior is superior to them.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Order at www.roadstomadness.com/book.html!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #778 on: February 25, 2019, 01:24:06 PM »
So now it’s official for me, the Mangini albums are DT’s best 4-album stretch. If FII had never been released, obviously it would be I&W-SDoIT, but . . .

If I had to pick one era of the band, I would say that the JP/JM era really showcases an unparalleled consistency.

I agree, WDADU through to D/T is a decent run  :lol

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #779 on: February 25, 2019, 01:43:31 PM »
It does sort of feel like the 3 singles are an EP and then the rest of the album is an LP. 

I sort of wish Paralyzed was later in the album. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #780 on: February 25, 2019, 01:44:27 PM »
I like TA quite a bit so I can say unequivocally that this is their best release since TA. I rank ADToE in my top 5 and I don't see this surpassing that. I felt DT12 was quite a drop from that, and TA is so hard to rank among the rest of their discography. So I am not sure where DoT (I am still using that, eat me) falls. Right now it is above DT12. It's above BC&SL, slightly above SC, and very slightly above 8VM (both of which have higher peaks and much lower valleys).

So while I am not ga-ga over this release as much of the fan base is, I am happy that they are pleased, and that the band seems happy, energized, and ready to the road and kick some ass. If only because that helps ensure we will get a quality DT15 (and hopefully DT16, and DT17...)
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Pound4aBrown

« Reply #781 on: February 25, 2019, 01:48:39 PM »

I listened to the album from BW to the end for like a dozen times, since then I have been listening to the whole thing, I think within the context of the whole album, the singles sound better.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #782 on: February 25, 2019, 01:54:55 PM »
Man I'm so glad I held out on the singles, I've been listening to the whole thing over and over.
I decided to take break today and started listening to Luna Park, no D/T today so it won't burn out.
I got as far as Surrounded and thought "That was beautiful, you know what else is beautiful? Barstool Warrior" and I switched back :lol
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #783 on: February 25, 2019, 02:00:07 PM »
I don't want to rank it, because it's just too early.  I do like it a lot, as I've said.  There isn't a single song that I find "skippable."  I don't think I will end up ranking it in my top 4 (SDOIT, SFAM, ADTOE, DT12, in that order).  It will probably be somewhere in the next tier with I&W, Awake, Octavarium, SC, and TA.  But where in that group, I don't know. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #784 on: February 25, 2019, 02:03:47 PM »
I'm loving At Wits End every time I listen to the album. I feel it's placement in the album is perfect. You got the epic, a ballad, and the non-epic album song.

But then, at the same time...I'm remebering a Mike Mangini Facebook post that said this...

"Very excited for D.O.T. to be heard from top to bottom. I'm smiling typing this knowing what's going to happen if you sit in a great, but fairly loud listening environment..and then hit that halfway mark and off you go... and then get to the last dooozy. Don't go out of order!! Then when you get back to Untethered Angel.. you may see why it is Track 1 even though it was written 4th. 4 Can't be 8 and 10 (if you get the bonus) can't be 4. 9 has to be 9, but not released first. Get it?"

Which makes me wonder...Pale Blue Dot is pretty damn amazing, and rightly deserves the last track of the album. The album gradually builds itself to the ending of PBT. I love the album because of how they placed the songs...
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 02:10:33 PM by Ben_Jamin »
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #785 on: February 25, 2019, 02:13:05 PM »
I'm loving At Wits End every time I listen to the album. I feel it's placement in the album is perfect. You got the epic, a ballad, and the non-epic album song.

But then, at the same time...I'm remebering a Mike Mangini Facebook post that said this...

"Very excited for D.O.T. to be heard from top to bottom. I'm smiling typing this knowing what's going to happen if you sit in a great, but fairly loud listening environment..and then hit that halfway mark and off you go... and then get to the last dooozy. Don't go out of order!! Then when you get back to Untethered Angel.. you may see why it is Track 1 even though it was written 4th. 4 Can't be 8 and 10 (if you get the bonus) can't be 4. 9 has to be 9, but not released first. Get it?"

Which makes me wonder...Pale Blue Dot is pretty damn amazing, and rightly deserves the last track of the album. The album gradually builds itself to the ending of PBT. I love the album because of how they placed the songs...

The song placement is perfection. I took Viper King off and made sure the album proper runs right through. Great stuff.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Offline rab7

« Reply #786 on: February 25, 2019, 02:19:45 PM »

The song placement is perfection. I took Viper King off and made sure the album proper runs right through. Great stuff.

I think of VK as an "end credits" song. In the way that Beneath the Surface provides a beautiful calming piece to contrast the epic ending of Breaking All Illusions, and the way the Easter Egg is also a nice calming piece after Illumination Theory, Viper King is a super fun joy-ride to contrast the menacing tone of Pale Blue Dot.

My only issue is that PBD doesn't have more seconds of silence so I can digest that ending before jumping into VK
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 02:31:45 PM by rab7 »

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #787 on: February 25, 2019, 02:21:49 PM »
Why take Viper King off?  It's a very fun song with high energy!  :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #788 on: February 25, 2019, 02:21:59 PM »
I like the song placement too.  Part of me thinks At Wits End should be the album closer, but then it does work well leading into the ballad so there goes that idea.  Untethered Angel is a solid opener too.  VP kind of feels like a bonus track, as in, it doesn't sound like it fits on the album so when you hear that one, I already kind of know the album is over and now it's bonus time, and for a bonus song, it kicks serious ass.

I haven't listened to this as much as I thought I would, just been busy, but I think it's going to be hard to beat this one out for album of the year for me, it's just so damn good all around and it's probably a good thing I am not burning myself out from too many listens early.  Devin Townsend may give it a run, but man, this album is sooo good.  At Wits End is my favorite, but S2N is really becoming one of my favorites as well with more listens. 

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #789 on: February 25, 2019, 02:39:09 PM »
Personally I'm not digging Pale Blue Dot as a closer and I'm glad for Viper King. PBD has been growing on me a bit as a song generally, it's a cool heavy track, but I'm not a fan of its placement.

Another song that's growing on me is Paralyzed. The first half is still nothing special or particularly interesting, but I really dig the final chorus.

Oh and I'm also loving the djenty riff under the key solo at the end of S2N.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #790 on: February 25, 2019, 02:42:11 PM »
S2N is sooooo good.

That's all.

Offline Pound4aBrown

« Reply #791 on: February 25, 2019, 02:43:19 PM »
S2N is sooooo good.

That's all.

Agreed, easily my favorite song on the album.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #792 on: February 25, 2019, 02:45:20 PM »

No doubt! But it also doesn't really jibe with the tone of the rest of the album, and is a bonus track. The album proper, the full listening experience, is just the nine songs.

Trust me, I like Viper King, and its a fun song. But its clearly a bonus track, and I really prefer it as something I have on the side, instead of following PBD. PBD is how the album was meant to end by the band, and that's why I'll do the same. In fact, the physical copy I bought doesn't even have Viper King (it was just on the digital promo I received).

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #793 on: February 25, 2019, 02:52:47 PM »

No doubt! But it also doesn't really jibe with the tone of the rest of the album, and is a bonus track. The album proper, the full listening experience, is just the nine songs.

Trust me, I like Viper King, and its a fun song. But its clearly a bonus track, and I really prefer it as something I have on the side, instead of following PBD. PBD is how the album was meant to end by the band, and that's why I'll do the same. In fact, the physical copy I bought doesn't even have Viper King (it was just on the digital promo I received).

Yeah, I'm kinda with you on this, I like VK, but I view it as a bonus (makes sense)! PBD works fine for me as the closer.

My only thing with VK is that I wish James' verse vocals were a little lower in his register, they sound too strained. If they want to keep the chorus vocals that high, that's fine because it'll lift the chorus, but I feel like they could have come up with a better, lower verse vocal. Other than that, love that song.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #794 on: February 25, 2019, 02:57:59 PM »

Yeah, I'm kinda with you on this, I like VK, but I view it as a bonus (makes sense)! PBD works fine for me as the closer.

My only thing with VK is that I wish James' verse vocals were a little lower in his register, they sound too strained. If they want to keep the chorus vocals that high, that's fine because it'll lift the chorus, but I feel like they could have come up with a better, lower verse vocal. Other than that, love that song.

Agreed. The vocals are a little high yeah.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #795 on: February 25, 2019, 03:03:53 PM »
Random though, but I love the TDS inspired riff under the keyboard solo in AWE.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #796 on: February 25, 2019, 03:10:23 PM »
The only song that I hadn't felt anything special about was PBD, but I'm really starting to dig it now!! Even the three singles are starting to feel more part of the album to me (next time, I'll do like some friends here and not listen to the singles at all).

About PBD, the final instrumental turn before the final verse, that riff that becomes a unison solo, it really reminds of a unison solo from Raw Dog!! Anyone else??

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #797 on: February 25, 2019, 03:11:02 PM »
In Pale Blue Dot its Manginis intro and the band. Once I heard that. I knew I was in for a treat.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #798 on: February 25, 2019, 03:20:54 PM »
Now that the album is out, did you have any expectations, assumptions or suppositions based on reviews and / or gut feeling that were subversed, be it for the better or for the worse?

My main ones are:

- I expected the first three tracks to be a total shredfest, something reminding of the second half of This Dying Soul so to speak. I was pleasantly surprised to find so much melody in all the three songs.
- Given the subject matter, I expected Pale Blue Dot to be something majestic and uplifting like the end of Illumination Theory. Didn't expect a tune so eerie and menacing (bit of a letdown in relation to the lyrics, I still have to figure out the music itself 'cause this is not a piece for instant and easy listening).
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #799 on: February 25, 2019, 03:24:08 PM »
Now that the album is out, did you have any expectations, assumptions or suppositions based on reviews and / or gut feeling that were subversed, be it for the better or for the worse?

My main ones are:

- I expected the first three tracks to be a total shredfest, something reminding of the second half of This Dying Soul so to speak. I was pleasantly surprised to find so much melody in all the three songs.
- Given the subject matter, I expected Pale Blue Dot to be something majestic and uplifting like the end of Illumination Theory. Didn't expect a tune so eerie and menacing (bit of a letdown in relation to the lyrics, I still have to figure out the music itself 'cause this is not a piece for instant and easy listening).

In all honesty about PBD.  It's the meancing sad part of knowing what we are as humans, in this pale dot.

Online Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #800 on: February 25, 2019, 03:29:02 PM »
For some reason, when I hear PBD, i can’t shake the thought that it’s Lord Nefaryus singing.  :lol

I do like it, but it seems to take more effort to get into, more so than the other songs. Currently BW has shot up in my own internal ranking. I’d say it’s almost as good as AWE, it’s a very close call. The reprise after the piano part is really good.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #801 on: February 25, 2019, 03:32:03 PM »
For some reason, when I hear PBD, i can’t shake the thought that it’s Lord Nefaryus singing.  :lol

I do like it, but it seems to take more effort to get into, more so than the other songs. Currently BW has shot up in my own internal ranking. I’d say it’s almost as good as AWE, it’s a very close call. The reprise after the piano part is really good.

That's what makes me wonder. I figured too that DT fans would love PBD.

It's amazing though, how much peoples music views have changed....

I'm listening to Scenes and I if they played the entire D/T album I wouldnt complain.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #802 on: February 25, 2019, 03:43:26 PM »
So I have been really enjoying the album but is it just me or .....

Does anybody else just tune out while Rudess solos now?     His organ solo on FITL is AWESOME but I find the rest of his solos to be completely underwritten. 

I loved Rudess on SFAM and SDOIT and I really like TA but am I struggling with him on this album. 

I also think AWE could have been elevated to ALL TIME DT CLASSIC had they not had the fade out and just written something to connect it to the part where the music comes back and make it louder and longer.   

Anyways, nitpicking stuff there but I do wish DT would just cut out keyboard solo's if JR is not going to put any thought into them. 

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #803 on: February 25, 2019, 03:45:40 PM »
Perhaps JR just played for the song, as opposed to over playing...

That's a GOOD thing in my book.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #804 on: February 25, 2019, 03:48:03 PM »
So I have been really enjoying the album but is it just me or .....

Does anybody else just tune out while Rudess solos now?     His organ solo on FITL is AWESOME but I find the rest of his solos to be completely underwritten. 

I loved Rudess on SFAM and SDOIT and I really like TA but am I struggling with him on this album. 

I also think AWE could have been elevated to ALL TIME DT CLASSIC had they not had the fade out and just written something to connect it to the part where the music comes back and make it louder and longer.   

Anyways, nitpicking stuff there but I do wish DT would just cut out keyboard solo's if JR is not going to put any thought into them.

Agreed.  I am liking the album more and more, but while JP, MM and JM are all killing it all on this record, JR is very much in the background for most of the record, and most of his few solos are pretty forgettable.  He is more of a prog guy than metal, and this album is more metal than prog (generally speaking), so this was not his bread and butter, and probably why he did a solo album around the same time.